Could Exist a Causality Between the Most Traded Commodities and Futures Commodity Prices in the Agricultural Market?
No 4/2022, December
Čermák, M. and Ligocká, M. (2022) "Could Exist a Causality Between the Most Traded Commodities and Futures Commodity Prices in the Agricultural Market?", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 11-25. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140402.
Nowadays, many financial and academic practitioners explore the area of high-frequency forecasting in new dimensions. Research on agricultural commodities is an important issue for food policy and security. This paper is focused on the causality between the spot prices and futures prices of the main traded agricultural commodities. Thus, the Granger causality was used to identify the relationship between spot and futures prices of commodities. Our results show the Granger causality between cash prices and futures prices of wheat and cocoa. However, there is also causality in the opposite direction in the case of wheat. Causality could be related, among other things, to a specific market position of the commodity, food policy, historical aspects, the sensitivity of the market, speculation activity, tax policy, and particular interconnection of the market with the energy commodities market. In the price process of cash and futures wheat prices, inventories and storage play an important role.
Agricultural commodity, Granger causality, commodity futures, cash price, agricultural commodity interdependence, food policy.
- Adämmer, P. and Bohl, T. M. (2018) "Price Discovery dynmaics in European agricultural markets", Journal of Futures Markets, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 549-562. ISSN 0270-7314. DOI 10.1002/fut.21891.
- Adelina, S., Wilbowo, R. P. and Hasyim, H. (2020) "Analysis of the Export Determinants of Indonesian Cocoa with Gravity Model Approach", International Journal of Research and Review, Vol. 7, No. 10, pp. 66-75. ISSN 2349-0788.
- Aït-Sahalia, Y. and Jacod, J. (2014) "High-Frequency Financial Econometrics", Prinston: Prinston University Press. ISBN 9780691161433. DOI 10.23943/princeton/9780691161433.001.0001.
- Ali, J. and Gupta, K. B. (2011) "Efficiency in agricultural commodity futures markets in India: Evidence from cointegration and causality tests", Agricultural Finance Review, Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 162-178. ISSN 0002-1466. DOI 10.1108/00021461111152555.
- Alquist, R. and Gervais, O. (2011) "The Role of Financial Speculation in Driving the Price of Crude Oil", IFPRI Discussion Paper 2011-6, July 2011. [Online]. Available: https://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/dp2011-06.pdf [Accessed: Oct. 5, 2021].
- Bellemare, M. F. (2015) "Rising food prices, food price volatility, and social unrest", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 97, No. 1, pp. 1-21. ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.1093/ajae/aau038.
- Béné, C., Barange, M., Subasinghe, R., Pinstrup-Andersen, P., Merino, G., Hemre, G. I. and Williams, M. (2015) "Feeding 9 billion by 2050–Putting fish back on the menu", Food Security, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 261-274. ISSN 1876-4517.
- Huchet-Bourdon, M. (2011) "Agricultural Commodity Price Volatility", OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers No. 52, June 2011. [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5kg0t00nrthc-en [Accessed: June 5, 2022].
- Bouri, E., Lucey, B., Saeed, T. and Xuan, V. V. (2021) "The realized volatility of commodity futures: Interconnectedness and determinants", International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 73(C), pp. 139-151. ISSN 1059-0560. DOI 10.1016/j.iref.2021.01.006.
- Brunetti, C., Büyükşahin, B. and Harris, J. H. (2009) "Is Speculation Destabilizing?", U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission Working Paper, Apr. 2009. [Online]. Available: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.357.8949&rep=rep1&type=pdf [Accessed: Oct. 12, 2021].
- Choi, I. (1992) "Effects of data aggregation on the power of tests for a unit root", Economics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 397–401. ISSN 0165-1765. DOI 10.1016/0165-1765(92)90133-J.
- Cermak, M. (2017) "Leverage Effect and Stochastic Volatility in the Agricultural Commodity Market under the CEV Model", Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, Vol. 65, No. 5, pp. 1671-1678. ISSN 1211-8516. DOI 10.11118/actaun201765051671.
- Česká národní banka (CNB) (2021) "ČNB – Globální ekonomický výhled", ČNB, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.cnb.cz/cs/menova-politika/gev/ [Accessed: Oct. 16, 2021] (In Czech).
- Dimpfl, T., M. Flad and Jung, R. C. (2017) "Price discovery in agricultural commodity markets in the presence of futures speculation", Journal of Commodity Markets, Vol. 5, pp. 50-62. ISSN 2405-8513. DOI 10.1016/j.jcomm.2017.01.002.
- Duron, M. J. J., Manalo, M. P. I., Reyes, A. M. and Rosete, M. A. L. (2022) "Trading Policy Analysis of Cocoa in Indonesia", International Journal of Social and Management Studies, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp.32-61. ISSN 2775-0809. DOI 10.5555/ijosmas.v3i1.85.
- Fama, E. F. (1965) "The Behavior of Stock-Market Prices", The Journal of Business, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 34-105. ISSN 0021-9398.
- FAOSTAT (2022) "Statistics in 2022", FAO, 2022 [Online]. Available: https://www.fao.org/statistics/en/“. [Accessed: Nov. 16, 2022].
- Food Agricultural Organization (FAO) (2015) "The state of food insecurity in the world 2015: meeting the 2015 international hunger targets: taking stock of uneven progress“. Advances in Nutrition, 2015. [Online]. Available: http://ambassadors-env.com/en/files/a-i4646e.pdf [Accessed: 25 Nov. 2021].
- Granger, C. W. J. (1969) "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods", Econometrica, Vol. 37, pp. 424-438. ISSN 0012-9682. DOI 10.2307/1912791.
- Gujarati, D. N., and Porter, D. C. (2009) "Basic econometrics (international edition)", New York: McGraw-Hills Inc. ISBN 00-712-7625-4.
- Haile, M., Kalkuhl, M. and von Braun, J. (2014) "Agricultural supply response to international food prices and price volatility: a cross-country panel analysis", 2014 International Congress, August 26-29, 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia 182725, European Association of Agricultural Economists. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.182725.
- Haug, A. A. and Basher, S. A. (2011) "Linear or nonlinear cointegration in the purchasing power parity relationship?", Applied Economics, Vol. 43. No. 2, pp. 185-196. ISSN 1466-4283. DOI 10.1080/00036840802403656.
- Hernandez, M. and Torero, M. (2010) "Examining the Dynamic Relationship between Spot and Future Prices of Agricultural Commodities“, IFPRI Discussion Paper 00988, June 2010. [Online]. Available: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/6270326.pdf [Accessed: Oct. 3, 2021].
- Hull, J. (2003) "Options, futures", 5th ed. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, c. Prentice Hall finance series. ISBN 01-300-9056-5.
- Investing.com - Stock Market Quotes & Financial News (2021) "Investing.com“, Investing.com, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.investing.com [Accessed: Sep. 6, 2021].
- International Cocoa Organization (2022) "Statistics", ICCO. [Online]. Available: https://www.icco.org/statistics/ [Accessed: Nov. 15, 2022].
- Kang, H. S., McIver, R. and Yoon, M.-S. (2017) "Dynamic spillover effects among crude oil, precious metal, and agricultural commodity futures markets", Energy Economics, Vol. 62(C), pp. 19-32. ISSN 0140-9883. DOI 10.1016/j.eneco.2016.12.011.
- Manogna, R. L. and Mishra, A. K. (2020) "Price discovery and volatility spillover: an empirical evidence from spot and futures agricultural commodity markets in India", Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 447-473. ISSN 2044-0839. DOI 10.1108/JADEE-10-2019-0175.
- Markowitz, H. (1952) "Portfolio Selection", The Journal of Finance, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp 77-91. ISSN 0022-1082. DOI 10.1111/j.1540-6261.1952.tb01525.x.
- Martin, W. and Anderson, K. (2012) "Export restrictions and price insulation during commodity price booms", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 94, No. 2, pp. 422-427. ISSN 0002-9092.
- Nath, G. C. and Lingareddy, T. (2008) "Impact of Futures Trading on Commodity Prices", Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 18-23. ISSN 0012-9976. DOI 10.2307/40276919..
- Pindyck, R. S. (2001) "The Dynamics of Commodity Spot and Futures Markets: A Primer", The Energy Journal, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 1-29. ISSN 0195-6574. DOI 10.5547/ISSN0195-6574-EJ-Vol22-No3-1.
- Poon, S.-H. (2005) "A practical guide for forecasting financial market volatility", Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. 200 p. ISBN 978-0-470-85613-0.
- Pradhan, R. P., Hall, J. H. and du Toit, E. (2021) "The lead–lag relationship between spot and futures prices: Empirical evidence from the Indian commodity market", Resources Policy, Vol. 70(C). ISSN 0301-4207. DOI 10.1016/j.resourpol.2020.101934.
- Reider R. (2009) "Volatility Forecasting I: GARCH Models, Time Series Analysis and Statistical Arbitrage Notes", New York University, New York.
- Rubbaniy, G., Khalid, A. A., Syriopoulos, K. and Samitas, A. (2022) "Safe-haven properties of soft commodities during times of Covid-19", Journal of Commodity Markets, Vol. 27, p. 100223. ISSN 2405-8513. DOI 10.1016/j.jcomm.2021.100223.
- Samak, N., Hosni, R. and Kamal, M. (2020) "Relationship between spot and futures prices: The case of global food commodities", African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 15800-15820. ISSN 1684-5374. DOI 10.18697/ajfand.91.18620.
- Sashi, G. S. (2007) "Influence of Commodity Derivatives on Volatility of Underlying Asset", ICFAI Journal of Derivatives Markets, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 26-39. ISSN 0972-9119.
- Stoll, H. R. and Whaley, R. E. (2010) "Commodity Index Investing and Commodity Futures Prices", Journal of Applied Finance, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 7-46. ISSN 1534-6668.
- Stooq (2021) "Stooq", Stooq, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://stooq.com/ [Accessed: Sep. 6, 2021].
- Tillman, J. A. (1973) "The Efficiency of Taking First Differences in Regression Analysis: A Note", Economic and Social Review, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 543-549. ISSN 0012-9984.
- Tiwari, A. K., Nasreen, S., Shahbaz, M. and Hammoudeh, S. (2020) "Time-frequency causality and connectedness between international prices of energy, food, industry, agriculture and metals", Energy Economics, Vol. 85(C), p. 104529. ISSN 0140-9883. DOI 10.1016/j.eneco.2019.104529.
- Tulashie, S. K., Dodoo, D., Appiah, G., Kotoka, F. and Adukpoh, K. E. (2022) "Oil produced from Ghana cocoa bean for potential industrial applications", Industrial Crops and Products, Vol. 177, pp. 114426. ISSN 0926-690. DOI 10.1016/j.indcrop.2021.114426.
- Wessel, M. and Foluke Quist-Wessel, P. M. (2015) "Cocoa production in West Africa, a review and analysis of recent developments", NJAS – Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences, Vol. 74-75, pp. 1-7. ISSN 1573-5214. DOI 10.1016/j.njas.2015.09.001.
- Xu, X. (2018) "Causal structure among US corn futures and regional cash prices in the time and frequency domain", Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 45, No. 13, pp. 2455-2480. ISSN 0266-4763. DOI 10.1080/02664763.2017.1423044.
- Xu, X. (2019) "Price dynamics in corn cash and futures markets: cointegration causality, and forecasting through a rolling window approach", Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Vol. 33, pp. 155-181. ISSN 1934-4554. DOI 10.1007/s11408-019-00330-7.
- Yang, J., Balyeat, B. R. and Leatham, D. J. (2005) "Futures Trading Activity and Commodity Cash Price Volatility", Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 297-323. ISSN 0306-686X. DOI 10.1111/j.0306-686X.2005.00595.x.
- Zhang, Y., Yao, T. and He, L. (2015) "Forecasting crude oil market volatility: can the Regime Switching GARCH model beat the single-regime GARCH models?". [Online]. Available: https://arxiv.org/abs/1512.01676 [Accessed: Dec. 10, 2021].
- Zuppiroli, M. (2015) "Recent Developments in Agri-food Commodity Prices and the Impact of Financial Speculation", Progress in Nutrition, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 23-35. ISSN 1129-8723.