The Contribution of Energy Use and Production to Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Evidence from the Agriculture of European Countries
No 3/2022, September
Šubová, N. (2022) "The Contribution of Energy Use and Production to Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Evidence from the Agriculture of European Countries", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 111-123. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140309.
The submitted study investigates the role of energy use in agriculture and agricultural output in carbon dioxide emissions with the presence of instrumental variables such as rural population and urbanisation. The data set covers 27 European countries during the period 2010–2020. The quantitative approach was applied using cluster analysis with the previous identification of relations between variables by factor analysis. As the second approach, the Two-Stage Least Square (TSLS) model was estimated. Based on the results, three clusters were created. The heatmap demonstrated the similarity between the comprised countries. The most similar countries are Greece and Hungary, while the most different countries are Luxembourg and Malta. Performed TSLS analysis showed that an increase in energy use is associated with an increase in carbon dioxide emissions. On the other hand, greater agricultural output is associated with lower emissions. However, the statistical significance differs across the individual clusters.
Agriculture, Energy, CO2 emissions, cluster analysis, TSLS.
- Allen, M. (2017) "Factor Analysis: Varimax Rotation", The SAGE Encyclopedia of Communication Research Methods, pp. 532-533. ISBN 978-1-483-38143-5. DOI 10.4135/9781483381411.
- Al-Mulali, U., Sheau-Ting, L. and Ozturk, I. (2015) "The global move toward Internet shopping and its influence on pollution: an empirical analysis", Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 22, No. 13, pp. 9717-9727. E-ISSN 1614-7499. DOI 10.1007/s11356-015-4142-2.
- Alola, A. A., Akadiri, S. S. and Usman, O. (2020) "Domestic material consumption and greenhouse gas emissions in the EU-28 countries: Implications for environmental sustainability targets", Sustainable Development, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 388-397. E-ISSN 1099-1719. DOI 10.1002/sd.2154.
- Amin, S. B. and Rahman, S. (2019) "The role of ICT in energy sector: Towards a Digital Bangladesh by 2021", In Energy Resources in Bangladesh, Springer, Cham. E-ISBN 978-3-030-02919-7. DOI 10.1007/978-3-030-02919-7_6.
- Arshad, Z., Robaina, M. and Botelho, A. (2020) "The role of ICT in energy consumption and environment: an empirical investigation of Asian economies with cluster analysis", Environmental Science and Poullution Research, Vol. 27, No. 26, pp. 32913-32932, E-ISSN 1614-7499. DOI 10.1007/s11356-020-09229-7.
- Bardhoshi, G., Um, B. and Erford, B. T. (2020) "Conducting a custer anaysis in couseling research: Four easy steps", Counseling Outcome Research and Evaluation, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 54-62, ISSN 2150-1378. DOI 10.1080/21501378.2020.1768522.
- Bartlett, M. S. (1951) "The effect of standardization on a Chi-square approximation in factor analysis", Biometrika, Vol. 38, No. 3-4, pp. 337-344. E-ISSN 1464-3510. DOI 10.1093/biomet/38.3-4.337.
- Bekun, F. V., Alola, A. A. and Sarkodie, S. A. (2019) "Toward a sustainable environment: Nexus between CO2 emissions, resource rent, renewable and nonrenewable energy in 16-EU countries", Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 657, pp. 1023-1029. ISSN 1879-1026. DOI 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.12.104.
- Blbas, H. (2017) "A Comparison results of factor analysis and cluster analysis to the migration of young people from the Kurdistan Region to Europe", ZANCO Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 44-55. E-ISSN 2412-3986, ISSN 2218-0230. DOI 10.21271/ZJPAS.29.4.5.
- Cohen, D. (2004) "Precalculus: A Problems-Oriented Approach", 6th ed., Cengage Learning, p. 698, ISBN 978-0-534-40212-9.
- Coroama, V. C., Hilty, L. M. and Birtel, M. (2012) "Effects of Internet-based multiple-site conferences on greenhouse gas emissions", Telemat Informatics, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 362-374. ISSN 0736-5853. DOI 10.1016/j.tele.2011.11.006.
- Dogan, E. and Aslan, A. (2016) "Exploring the relationship among CO2 emissions, real GDP, energy consumption and tourism in the EU and candidate countries: Evidence from panel models robust to heterogeneity and cross-sectional dependence”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 77, pp. 239-245. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI 10.1016/j.rser.2017.03.111.
- Dogan, E. and Seker, F. (2016) "Determinants of CO2 emissions in the European Union: The role of renewable and non-renewable energy", Renewable Energy, Vol. 94, pp. 429-439. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI 10.1016.j.renene.2016.03.078.
- Engler, N. and Krarti, M. (2021) "Review of energy efficiency in controlled environment agriculture", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 141. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI 10.1016/j.rser.2021.110786.
- Eurostat (2015) "Sustainable Development in the European Union: Monitoring Report of the EU Sustainable Development Strategy", European Statistical Office. [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3217494/9940483/KS-02-19-165-EN-N.pdf/1965d8f5-4532-49f9-98ca-5334b0652820?t=1573202053000 [Accessed: Feb. 11, 2022].
- Eurostat (2016) "Resource efficiency-Environment - European Commission", European Statistical Office. [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/environment/resource_efficiency/targets_indicators/scoreboard/pdf/EU%20Resource%20Efficiency%20Scoreboard%202015.pdf. [Accessed: May 20, 2022].
- Eurostat (2022) "Renewable energy statistics", European Statistical Office. [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statisticsexplained/index.php?title=Renewable_energy_statistics [Accessed: Feb. 11, 2022].
- Fang, J., Gao, C. and Lai, M. (2020) "Environmental regulation and firm innovation:evidence from national specially monitored firms program in China", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 271, p. 122599. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122599.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) (2022) "A third more mouths to feed", Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. [Online]. Available: https://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/35571/icode/en/ [Accessed: May. 20, 2022].
- Fox, J., Weisberg, S., Price, B., Adler, D., Bates, D., Baud-Bovy, G., Bolker, B., Ellison, S., Firth, D., Friendly, M., Gorjanc, G., Graves, S. and Heiberger, R. (2020) "Package car", R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Nov. 2020. [Online]. Available: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/car/car.pdf [Accessed: Feb. 11, 2022].
- Fox. J., Kleiber, Ch., Zeileis, A. and Kuschnig, N. (2021) "Package ivreg", R Foundation for Statistical Computing. [Online]. Available: https://cran.microsoft.com/snapshot/2021-10-23/web/packages/ivreg/ivreg.pdf [Accessed: Feb. 11,2022].
- Gokmenoglu, K. and Taspinarm, N. (2018) "Testing the agriculture-induced EKC hypothsis: the case of Pakistan", Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 25, pp. 22892–22841. E-ISSN 1614-7499. DOI 10.1007/s11356-018-2330-6.
- Goundar, S. and Appana, S. (2018) "Mainstreaming Development Policies for Climate Change in Fiji: A Policy Gap Analysis and the Role of ICTs", Sustainable Development: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications, p. 31. E-ISBN 13 9781522538189, ISBN 13 9781522538172, ISBN 10 1522538178. DOI 10.4018/978-1-5225-3817-2.ch020.
- Granato, D., Santos, J. S., Escher, G. B., Ferreira, B. L., Maggio, R. M. (2018) "Use of principal component analysis (PCA) and hierarchical cluster analysis (HCA) for multivariate association between bioactive compounds and functional properties in food: A critical perspective", Trends in Food Science & Technology, Vol. 72, pp. 83-90. ISSN 0924-2244. DOI 10.1016/j.tifs.2017.12.006.
- Haldar, S. and Sharma, G. (2021) "Impact of urbanization on per capita energy use and emissions in India", Journal of Energy Sector Management. ISSN 1750-6220. DOI 10.1108/IJESM-01-2021-0010.
- He, W., Tan, J., Liu, J. and Zhang, H. (2020) "Property roghts protection, environmental regulation and corporate financial performance: revisting the Porter Hypothesis", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 264, p. 24. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.2139/ssrn.3740853.
- Chakamera, Ch. and Alagidede, P. (2018) "Electricity crisis and the effect of CO2 emissions on infrastructure-growth nexus in Sub Saharan Africa", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 94, pp. 945-958. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI 10.1016/j.rser.2018.06.062.
- Charrad, M., Ghazzali, N., Boiteau, V. and Niknafs, A. (2014) "NbClust: An R Package for Determining the Relevant Number of Clusters in a Data Set", Journal of Statistical Software, Vol. 61, No. 6, pp. 1-36. ISSN 1548-7660. DOI 10.18637/jss.v061.i06.
- Iheke, O. R. (2015) "Effect of Urbanization on Agricultural Production in Abia State", International Journal of Agricultural Science, Research, and Technology in Extension and Education System, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 83-89. ISSN 2251-7596.
- Jebli, M. and Youssef, S. (2016) "Renewable energy consumption and agriculture: evidence for cointegration and Granger causality for Tunisian economy", International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 149-158. ISSN 1350-4509. DOI 10.1080/13504509.2016.1196467.
- Jebli, B. M. and Youssef, S. B. (2017) "The role of renewable energy and agricultre in reducing CO2 emissions: Evidence for North Africa countries", Ecological Indicators, Vol. 74, pp. 295-301. ISSN 1470-160X. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolind.2016.11.032.
- Jevons, W. S. (1907) "The Coal Question", Nature, Vol. 75, pp. 244-245. E-ISSN 1476-4687, ISSN 0028-0836. DOI 10.1038/075244b0.
- Kaiser, H. F. (1960) "The application of electronic computers for factor analysis", Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 141-151. ISSN 0013-1644. DOI 10.1177/001316446002000116.
- Khan, D. N., Baloch, M. A., Saud, S. and Fatima, T. (2018) "The effect of ICT on CO2 emissions in emerging economies: does the level of income matters?", Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 25, pp. 22850-22860. ISSN 1614-7499. DOI 10.1007/s11356-018-2379-2.
- Li, X. and Xu, H. (2020) "The energy-conservation and emission-reduction paths of industrial sectors: evidence from Chinas 35 industrial sectors", Energy Economics, Vol. 86. ISSN 0140-9883. DOI 10.1016/j.eneco.2019.104628.
- Liu. X., Zhang, S. and Bae, J. (2017) "The nexus of renewable energy-agriculture-environment in BRICS", Applied Energy, Vol. 204, pp. 489-496. ISSN 0306-2619. DOI 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.07.077.
- Majeed, M. T. and Khan, F- N. (2019) "Do information and communication technologies (ICTs) contribute to health outcomes? An empirical analysis”, Quality & Quantity, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 183-206. E-ISSN 1573-7845, ISSN 0033-5177. DOI 10.1007/s11135-018-0741-6.
- Malik, R. and Ali, A. (2015) "The Impact of Urbanization on Agriculture Sector: A Case Study of Pashewar, Pakistan", Journal of Resources Development and Management, Vol. 8, pp. 79-86. ISSN 2422-8397.
- Mohammed, S., Gill, A. R., Hijazi, O., Yadav, K. K. Hasan. M. A., Husain, A., Cabral-Pinto, M. M. S. and Harsanyi, E. (2021) "An overview of greenhouse gases emissions in Hungary", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 314, No. 10. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.127865.
- Murtagh, F. and Legendre, P. (2014) "Ward’s hierarchical agglomerative clustering method. Which algorithms implement ward’s criterion?", Journal of Classification, Vol. 31, pp. 274-295. E-ISSN 1432-1343, ISSN 0176-4268. DOI 10.1007/s00357-014-9161-z.
- Mushtaq, K., Abbas, F. and Ghafour, A. (2007) "Energy use for economic growth:cointegration and causality analysis from the agriculture sector of Pakistan", Pakistan Development Review, Vol. 46. No. 4, pp. 1065-1073. ISSN 0030-9729.
- Mrówczyńska-Kamińska, A., Bajan, B., Pawlowski, K. P., Genstwa, N. and Zmyślona, J. (2021) "Greenhouse gas emissions intensity of food production systems and its determinants", Plos One, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 1-20. ISSN 1932-6203. DOI 10.1371/journal.pone.0250995.
- Nwaka, I. D., Nwogu, M. U., Uma, K. E. and Ike, G. N. (2020) "Agricultural production and CO2 emissions from two sources in the ECOWAS region: New insight from quantile regression and decomposition analysis", Vol. 748. ISSN 0048-9697. DOI 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141329.
- Park, Y., Meng, F. and Baloch, M. A. (2018) "The effect of ICT, financial development, growth, and trade openness on CO2 emissions: an empirical analysis", Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 25, pp. 30708-30719. E-ISSN 1614-7499. DOI 10.1007/s11356-018-3108-6.
- Pelau, C. and Chinie, A. C. (2018) "Cluster Analysis for the Determination of Innovative and Sustainable Oriented Regions in Europe”, Studia Universitatis "Vasile Goldis” Arad – Economics Series, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 36-47. ISSN 1584-233. DOI 10.2478/sues-2018-0008.
- Poeplau, C. and Don, A. (2015) "Carbon sequestration in agricultural soils via cultivation of cover crops–a meta-analysis", Agriculture, Ecosystems & Envionment, Vol. 200, pp. 33-41. ISSN 0167-8809 DOI 10.1016/j.agee.2014.10.024.
- Porter, M. E. and Linde, C. (1995) "Green and Competitive: Ending the Stalemate”, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 73, No. 5, pp. 120-134. ISSN 0017-8012.
- Rahman, M. M. and Kashem, M. A. (2017) "Carbon emissions, energy consumption and industrial growth in Bangladesh: empirical evidence from ARDL cointegration and causality analysis", Energy Policy, Vol. 110, pp. 600-608. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2017.09.006.
- Revelle, W. (2021) "Package psych", R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Sep. 2021. [Online]. Available: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/psych/psych.pdf [Accessed: Feb. 11, 2022].
- R CORE TEAM (2018) "R: A language and environment for statistical computing", R Foundation for Statistical Computing. [Online]. Available: https://www.Rproject.org. [Accessed: Feb. 11, 2022].
- Rokicki, T., Perkowska, A., Klepacki, B., Bórawski, P., Bełdycka-Bórawska, A. and Michalski, K. (2021) "Changes in Energy Consumption in Agriculture in the EU Countries", Energies, Vol. 2021, No. 14, No. 6, pp. 1-21. ISSN 1996-1073. DOI 10.3390/en14061570.
- Romanenko, Y., Boiko, V. O. and Schevchuk, S. M. (2020) "Rural development by stimulating agro-tourism activities", International Journal Management, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 695-693. ISSN 0976-6502.
- Saudi, M. H. N. and Sinaga, O. (2019) "Industrial, Commercial and Agricultural Energy Consumption and Economic Growth Leading to Environmental Degradation", Ekoloji, Vol. 28, No. 107, pp. 299-310. ISSN 1300--1361.
- Toma, P., Miglietta, P.P., Zurlini, G., Valente, D. and Petrosillo, I. (2017) "A non-parametric bootstrap-data envelopment analysis approach or environmental policy planning and management of agricultural efficiency in EU countries", Ecological Indicators, Vol. 83, pp. 132-143. ISSN 1470-160X. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolind.2017.07.049.
- Wang, X., Zhang, T., Nathwani, J., Yang, F. and Shao, Q. (2022) "Environmental regulation, technology innovation, and low carbon development: Revisiting the EKC Hypothesis, Porter Hypothesis, and Jevons’ Paradox in China's iron & steel industry”, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 176. ISSN 0040-1625. DOI 10.1016/j.techfore.2022.121471.
- Weili, L., Khanm H., Kham I. and Han, L. (2021) "The impact of information and communication technology, fnancial development, and energy consumption on carbon dioxide emission: evidence from the Belt and Road countries", Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 29, pp. pages 27703-27718. ISSN 09441344. DOI 10.1007/s11356-021-18448-5.
- Xu, B. and Lin, B. (2017) "Assessing CO2 emissions in China’s iron and steel industry: a nonparametric additive regression approach", Renewable Sustainable Energy Review, Vol. 72, pp. 325-337. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI 10.1016/J.RSER.2017.01.009.
- York, R. and Mcgee, J. A. (2015) "Understanding the Jevons paradox", Environmental Sociology, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 77-87. ISSN 2325-1042. DOI 10.1080/23251042.2015.1106060.
- Zaman, K. and Moemen, M. A. (2017) "Energy consumption, carbon dioxide emissions and economic development: Evaluating alternative and plausible environmental hypothesis for sustainable growth", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 74, pp. 1119-1130. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI 10.1016/j.rser.2017.02.072.
- Zhang, Y., Chen, Y., Shuai, Ch. and Shen, L. (2019) "The environmental Kuznets curve of CO2 emissions in the manufacturing and construction industries: A global empirical analysis", Environmental Impact Assessment Review, Vol. 79. ISSN 0195-9255. DOI 10.1016/j.eiar.2019.106303.
- Zhang, D., Wang, Z., Li, S. and Zhang, H. (2021) "Impact of Land Urbanization on Carbon Emissions in Urban Agglomerations of the Middle Reaches of the Yangtze River”, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Vol. 18, No. 4. E-ISSN 1660-4601. DOI 10.3390/ijerph18041403.