Agricultural Development Around Protected Areas in Vietnam: Agroecology Perspective
No 3/2022, September
Nhung, N. T. T., Cuong, T. H., Phuong, N. V., Dogot, T., Burny, P., Hop, H. T. M. and Lebailly, P. (2022) "Agricultural Development Around Protected Areas in Vietnam: Agroecology Perspective, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 71-84. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140306.
Agricultural development nearby protected areas is required to minimize negative impacts from uses of off-farm resources as well as improper activities on the ecosystem and ensure livelihood for local farming communities. This research aims at assessing agricultural management practices and outcomes toward agroecology of rice cultivation in the buffer zone of Xuan Thuy National Park. Data were gathered from ecosystem managers, communal authorities and 96 rice cultivators living in 14 villages adjacently to the park in 2017-2018. “Traffic light” approach developed by FAO was used as an analytical technique to evaluate and visualize the environmental sustainability of rice cultivation with three levels of desirable, acceptable and unsustainable. The assessment reveals that none of the environmental indicators achieved at sustainable including fertilizer management, soil fertility, pesticide management, biodiversity preservation, and water conservation. Therefore, agricultural development in this area is required to be scrutinized for improvements especially the overdependency on nitrogen fertilizers, improper application of pesticides, limited adoption of biodiversity-friendly practices as well as other environmentally-friendly practices. The research highlights the need of implementing agroecological approach and special regime for protected area buffer zone to strengthen environmental preservation.
Xuan Thuy National Park, buffer zone, agroecology, agricultural development.
- Beland, M., Goita, K., Bonn, F. and Pham, T. (2006) "Assessment of land‐cover changes related to shrimp aquaculture using remote sensing data: a case study in the Giao Thuy District, Vietnam", International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 27, pp. 1491-1510. ISSN 0143-1161. DOI 10.1080/01431160500406888.
- Buck, L. E., Milder, J. C., Gavin, T. A. and Mukherjee, I. (2006) "Understanding ecoagriculture: a framework for measuring landscape performance", Ecoagriculture Discussion Paper No. 2, Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University, Ithaca, USA.
- Buckton, S. T., Cu, N., Tu, N. D. (1999) "The conservation of key wetland sites in the Mekong delta", BirdLife International Vietnam Programme Conservation Report No. 12., BirdLife International Vietnam Programme, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- DARD (Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of Giaothuy District). (2017) "Guidelines for rice cultivation adapting climate change", Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of Giaothuy District: Namdinh, Vietnam.
- D'Annolfo, R., Gemmill-Herren, B., Graeub, B. and Garibaldi, L. A. (2017) "A review of social and economic performance of agroecology", International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 632-644. ISSN 1473-5903. DOI 10.1080/14735903.2017.1398123.
- FAO (2017) "Statistics of Rice and Paddy Production". [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data/QC/visualize [Accessed: Sept. 30, 2021].
- FAO (2018) "Proportion of agricultural area under productive and sustainable agriculture. SDG Indicator 2.4.1. Methodological note". [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/3/ca7154en/ca7154en.pdf [Accessed: Sept. 30, 2021].
- Gilmour, D. A. and Van San, N. (1999) "Buffer zone management in Vietnam", IUCN and the Forest Protection Department, Hanoi.
- Hai, H. T. and Nhan, H. T. T. (2015) "Hiện trạng đa dạng sinh học của Vườn quốc gia Xuân Thủy" Current situation of Xuan Thuy National Park), Hong Duc Publishing House, 65 Trang Thi, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi. (in Vietnamese).
- Haneji, C., Amemiya, T., Itoh, K., Mochida, Y., Hoang, N. T. T. and Van Pham, C. (2014) "Analysis of environmental stressors on ecosystems of Xuan Thuy National Park, Vietnam", Journal of Vietnamese Environment, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 12-21. ISSN 2193-6471. DOI 10.13141/jve.vol5.no1.pp12-21.
- Joint, F. (2018) "Rice Production Guidelines: Best Farm Management Practices and the Role of Isotopic Techniques", Joint FAO/IAEA Division of Nuclear Techniques in Food and Agriculture, No. 184. ISBN 978-92-0-103418-2.
- Kamoshita, A., Nguyen, Y. T. B. and Dinh, V. T. H. (2018) "Preliminary assessment of rice production in coastal part of Red River Delta surrounding Xuan Thuy National Park, Vietnam, for improving resilience", In Resilient Asia, pp. 7-38, Springer, Tokyo. DOI 10.1007/978-4-431-56597-0_2.
- Khai, H. V. and Yabe, M. (2014) "Choice modeling: assessing the non-market environmental values of the biodiversity conservation of swamp forest in Vietnam", International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 1-8. ISSN 2008-9163. DOI 10.1007/s40095-014-0077-5.
- Ladha, J. K. and Reddy, P. M. (2003) "Nitrogen fixation in rice systems: State of knowledge and future prospects", Plant and Soil, Vol. 252, Vol. 1, pp. 151-167. ISSN 0032-079X. DOI 10.1023/A:1024175307238.
- Leslie, M., Nguyen, S. T., Nguyen, T. K. D., Pham, T. T., Cao, T. T. N., Le, T. Q. and Chris, Y. (2018) "Bringing social and cultural considerations into environmental management for vulnerable coastal communities: Responses to environmental change in Xuan Thuy National Park, Nam Dinh Province, Vietnam", Ocean & Coastal Management, Vol. 158, pp. 32-44. ISSN 0964-5691. DOI 10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2018.03.022.
- Lin, Z. and Routray, J. K. (2003) "Operational indicators for measuring agricultural sustainablity in developing countries", Environmental Management, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 34-46. ISSN 0301-4797.
- Mai, T. N. and Nguyen, T. M. N. (2003) "Geochemical sedimentary evolution features of the processes of formation, development and degradation of mangrove forests in Namdinh coastal region", Vietnam. Annual Report of FY 2001, The Core University Program between Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) and National Centre for Natural Science and Technology (NCST), pp. 137-148.
- Mottet, A., Bicksler, A., Lucantoni, D., De Rosa, F., Scherf, B., Scopel, E., López-Ridaura, S., Gemmil-Herren, B., Kerr, R. B., Sourisseau, J.-M., Petersen, P., Chotte, JH.-L., Loconto, A. and Tittonell, P. (2020) "Assessing transitions to sustainable agricultural and food systems: a Tool for Agroecology Performance Evaluation (TAPE)", Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, Vol. 4, No. 252. ISSN 2571-581X. DOI 10.3389/fsufs.2020.579154.
- Nhan, H. T. T. (2014) "Research on Indicators of Biodiversity of Wetland: Study in Xuan Thuy National Park", Ph.D. Thesis, Ha Noi National University, Ha Noi, Vietnam.
- Nhuan, M. T., Ngoc, N. T. M., Huong, N. Q., Hue, N. T. H., Tue, N. T. and Ngoc, P. B. (2009) "Assessment of Vietnam coastal wetland vulnerability for sustainable use (Case study in Xuanthuy Ramsar Site, Vietnam)", Journal of Wetlands Ecology, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 1-16. E-ISSN 2091-0363. DOI 10.3126/jowe.v2i1.1850.
- Nguyen, T. T. N., Tran, H. C., Ho, T. M. H., Burny, P. and Lebailly, P. (2019) "Dynamics of farming systems under the context of coastal zone development: the case of Xuan Thuy National Park, Vietnam", Agriculture, Vol. 9, No. 7, 138. ISSN 2077-0472. ISSN 2077-0472. DOI 10.3390/agriculture9070138.
- Pedersen, A., Thang, N. H., Dung, V. V. and Hoang, T. T. (1996) "The conservation of key coastal wetland sites in the Red River Delta", Hanoi: BirdLife International Vietnam Programme.
- Sara, J. S. and Jefferey, A. M. (2008) "Biodiversity conservation and agricultural sustainability: towards a new paradigm of ecoagriculture landscapes", Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, pp. 477- 494. ISSN 0962-8436. DOI 10.1098/rstb.2007.2165.
- Shaobing, P., Jianliang, H., John, E. S., Rebecca, C. L., Romeo, M. V, Xuhua, Z, Grace, S. C., Gurdev, S. K. and Kenneth, G. C. (2004) "Rice yields decline with higher night temperature from global warming", Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS), Vol. 101, No. 27, pp. 9971-9975. E-ISSN ISSN 1091-6490. DOI 10.1073/pnas.0403720101.
- Singh, V., Singh, B., Thind, H. S., Singh, Y., Gupta, R. K., Singh, S., Singh, M., Kaur, S., Singh, M., Brar, J. S., Singh, A., Singh, J., Kumar, A., Singh, S., Kaur, A. and Balasubramanian, V. (2014) "Evaluation of leaf colour chart for need-based nitrogen management in rice, maize and wheat in north-western India", Journal of Research Punjab Agricultural University, Vol. 51, No. 3-4, pp. 239-245. E- ISSN 2277-1271.
- Singh, Y., Bijay, S., Jagish, K. L., Jaswinder, S. B., Raj, K. G., Jagmohan, S. and Vethaya, B. (2007) "On-farm evaluation of leaf colour chart for need-based nitrogen management in irrigated transplanted rice in north-western India", Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystem, Vol. 78, No. 2, pp. 167-176. ISSN 1385-1314. DOI 10.1007/s10705-006-9082-2.
- Trabelsi, M., Mandart, E., Le Grusse, P. and Bord, J. P. (2019) "ESSIMAGE: a tool for the assessment of the agroecological performance of agricultural production systems", Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 9257-9280. ISSN 0944-1344. DOI 10.1007/s11356-019-04387-9.
- Trabelsi, M., Mandart, E., Le Grusse, P. and Bord, J. P. (2016) "How to measure the agroecological performance of farming in order to assist with the transition process", Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 139-156. ISSN 0944-1344. DOI 10.1007/s11356-015-5680-3.
- VAF (Vietnam Administration of Forestry) (2017) "National Parks of Vietnam", Ha Noi: Vietnam Association of National Park and Nature Reserve.
- Xiaowei L., Huoyan, W., Jianmin, Z., Fengqin, H., Dejin, Z., Zhaoming, C. and Yongzhe, L. (2016). "Effect of N Fertilization pattern on rice yield, N Use efficiency and fertilizer-N Fate in the Yangtze river basin, China", PLoS One, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 1-20. E-ISSN 1932-6203. DOI 10.1371/journal.pone.0166002.