Agricultural Aid and Growth in Sub Saharan Africa: a Review of Empirical Evidence
No 2/2022, June
Shaibu, A.-F. and Shaibu, M. H. (2022) "Agricultural Aid and Growth in Sub Saharan Africa: a Review of Empirical Evidence", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 97-109. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140208.
There are interesting debates on the influence of foreign aid to agriculture on economic growth in Africa. Some scholars have argued that, despite the inflows, majority of rural smallholder farmers in the continent are extremely poor. The precise channels through which foreign aid is to promote sectoral growth has been inadequately understood from the literature. This paper is a systematic literature review on the empirical evidence of the relationship between agricultural aid and growth in Sub Saharan African countries. The Generalized Methods of Moments and the Granger causality test are the main methodological approaches of papers reviewed and the relationship between agricultural aid and productivity growth is positive and quite significant. However, the results demonstrate a weak synergy between the various forms of agricultural aid and growth. The main recommendation is to have a broader conceptual, theoretical or analytical frameworks that clearly define how agricultural aid influences productivity when measured against other influencing factors. Aid is only a catalyst to growth so, governments must invest and provide the necessary infrastructure and a conducive policy environment for increased productivity and growth.
Agricultural aid, productivity, growth, Generalised Methods of Methods.
- African Development Bank (2016) "Growth, Poverty and Inequality Nexus: Overcoming Barriers to Sustainnable Development", Abijan: African Development Bank.
- African Union and NEPAD (2003) "Comprehensive Africa Agricultural Development Programme", In A. a. NEPAD, Comprehensive Africa Agricultural Development Programme (p. 116). New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD).
- African Union (2006) "Status of Food Security and Prospects for Agricultural Development", AU Ministerial Conference of Ministers of Agriculture. FS/Exp/1, p. 26. Bamak: African Union.
- African Union (2014) "The Malbo Declaration on Accelerated Agricultural Growth and Transformation for Shared Prosperity and Improved Livelihoods", Addis Ababa.
- Akramov, K. T. (2012) "Foreign aid allocation, governance, and economic growth". IFPRI Issue Brief, Vol. 72. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). DOI 10.2499/9780896298095.
- Alabi, R. A. (2014) "Impact of Agricultural Foreign Aid on Agricultural Growth in Sub-Saharan: A Dynamic Specification", Washington DC: International Food Policy Research Instittue.
- Andreopoulos, G., Campanelli A. G. and Panayides, A. (2011) "Multilateral vs Bilateral Aid: Addressing Some Puzzles", European Journal of Management, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 73-78. ISSN 0263-2373.
- Annen, K. and Knack, S. (2018) "On the Delegation of Aid Implementation to Multilateral Agencies", Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 133, pp. 295-305. ISSN 0304-3878. DOI 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2018.02.007.
- Ansah, I. G., Gardebroek, C. and Ihle, R. (2019) "Resilience and household food security: A review of concepts, methodological approaches and empirical evidence", Food Security, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 1187-1203. E-ISSN 1876-4525, ISSN 1876-4517. DOI 10.1007/s12571-019-00968-1.
- Arndt, C., Jones, S. and Tarp, F. (2016) "What is the aggregate economic rate of return to foreign aid?", The World Bank Economic Review, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 446-474. ISSN 1564-698X. DOI 10.1093/wber/lhv033.
- Awunyo-Vitor, D. and Sackey, R. A. (2018) "Agricultural sector foreign direct investment and economic growth in Ghana", Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 7. E-ISSN 2192-5372. DOI 10.1186/s13731-018-0094-3.
- Badiane, O. and Collins, J. (2016) "Agricultural growth and productivity in Africa: Recent trends and future outlook", In "Agricultural research in Africa: Investing in future harvests". Lynam, J., Beintema, N. M., Roseboom, J. and Badiane, O. (Eds.), Chapt. 1. pp. 3-30. Washington: International Food Policy Research Institute. DOI 10.2499/9780896292123_01.
- Binswanger-Mkhize, H. P. (2009) "Challenges and opportunities for African agriculture and food security, Expert Meeting on How to Feed the World in 2050, 24-26 June 2009, 54 p. Rome: FAO. ISBN 978-92-5-106363-7.
- Biscaye, P. E., Reynolds, T. W. and Anderson, C. L. (2017) "Relative effectiveness of bilateral and multilateral aid on development outcomes", Review of Development Economics, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 1425-1447. E-ISSN 1467-9361 DOI 10.1111/rode.12303.
- Blíž kovský , P. and Emelin, R. (2020) “The Impact of Official Development Assistance on the Productivity of Agricultural Production in Ghana, Cameroon and Mali", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 29-39. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2020.120203.
- Boone, P. (1996) "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid", European Economic Review, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 289-329 ISSN 0014-2921. DOI 10.1016/0014-2921(95)00127-1.
- Bräutigam, D. A. and Knack, S. (2004) "Foreign aid, institutions, and governance in sub-Saharan Africa", Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 255-285. E-ISSN 1539-2988, ISSN 0013-0079. ISSN 10.1086/380592.
- Bun, M. J. and Windmeijer, F. (2010) "The weak instrument problem of the system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models", The Econometrics Journal, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 95-126. E-ISSN 1368-423X. DOI 10.1111/j.1368-423X.2009.00299.x.
- Carothers, T. and De Gramont, D. (2013) "Development aid confronts politics: The almost revolution", Washington DC: Carneigie Endowment for International Peace, 360 p. E-ISBN: 978-0-87003-402-2.
- Chenery, H. B. and Strout, A. M. (1996) "Foreign Assistance and Economic Development", The American Economic Review, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 679-733. E-ISSN 19447981, ISSN 00028282.
- Christiaensen, L. J., Demery, V. and Kuhl, J. (2010) "The (evolving) role of agriculture in poverty reduction - An empirical perspective", Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 96, No. 2, pp. 239-254. ISSN 0304-3878. DOI 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2010.10.006.
- Dao, M. Q. (2009) "Poverty, Income Distribution and Agriculture and Developing Countries, Journal of Economic Studies, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 168-183. ISSN 0144-3585. DOI 10.1108/01443580910955051.
- Deaton, A. (2013) "The Great Escape", Princeton NJ, New Jersey, USA: Princeton University Press.
- Dewbre, J., Thompson, W. and Dewbre, J. (2007) "Consistency or conflict in OECD agricultural trade and aid policies", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 89, No. 5, pp. 1161-1167.ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.1111/j.1467-8276.2007.01077.x.
- Dollar, D. and Levin, V. (2006) "The increasing selectivity of foreign aid, 1984-2003", World Development, Vol. 34, No. 12, pp. 2034-2046. ISSN 0305-750X. DOI 10.1016/j.worlddev.2006.06.002.
- Davis, D. F., Golicic, S. L. and Boerstler, C. N. (2011) "Benefits and challenges of conducting multiple methods research in marketing", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 39, pp. 467-479. E-ISSN 1552-7824, ISSN 0092-0703. DOI 10.1007/s11747-010-0204-7.
- Duflo, E., Kremer, M. and Robinson, J. (2011) "Nudging farmers to use fertilizer: Theory and experimental evidence from Kenya", American Economic Review, Vol. 101, No. 6, pp. 2350-90. E-ISSN 1944-7981, ISSN 0002-8282. DOI 10.1257/aer.101.6.2350.
- Durbarry, R., Gemmell, N. and Greenaway, D. (1998) "New evidence on the impact of foreign aid on growth", CREDIT Research Papers, The University of Nottingham. [Online]. Available: https://www.econstor.eu/handle/10419/81776 [Accessed: 25 Oct 2021].
- Dzanku, F. and Sarpong, D. (2010) "Agricultural diversification, food self-sufficiency and food security in Ghana–the role of infrastructure and institutions", African Smallholders: Food Crops, Markets and Policy. CAB International, Wallingford, UK, pp. 189-213.
- Fan, S. G., Mogues, T. and Benin, S. (2009) "Setting priorities for public spending for agricultural and rural development in Africa", IFPRI-Policy Brief, 12 p.
- Fischer, R. A., Byerlee, D. and Edmeades, G. O. (2009) "Can Technology Deliver on the Yield Challenge to 2050?", Expert Meeting on How to feed the World in 2050, 24th -26th June 2009, FAO - Economic and Social Development Department.
- Galiani, S., Knack, S., Xu, L. C. and Zou, B. (2017) "The effect of aid on growth: Evidence from a quasi-experiment", Journal of Economic Growth, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 1-33. E-ISSN 1573-7020, ISSN 1381-4338. DOI 10.1007/s10887-016-9137-4.
- Gerrard, C., Argwings-Kodhek, G., Marouani, A. and Mudimu, G. (2016) "Independent Evaluation of CAADP Multi-Donor Trust Fund (MDTF)", Conference Edition 12th CAADP Partnership Platform, Vol. 2: Annexes.
- Ghana Statistical Service (2019) "Rebased 2013-2018 Annual Gross Domestic Product - April 2019", Edition. Accra: Ghana Statistical Service.
- Girod, D. (2012) "Effective Foreign Aid Following Civil War: The Nonstrategic‐Desperation Hypothesis", Americal Journal of Political Science, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 188-201. E-ISSN 15405907, ISSN 0092-5853.
- Gollin, D., Lagakos, D. and Waugh, M. E. (2014) "The Agricultural Producvity Gap", The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 939-993. DOI 10.1093/qje/qjt056.
- Gough, D., Oliver, S. and Thomas, J. (2012) "An introduction to systematic reviews", London: SAGE Publications Inc. ISBN 10 1849201811, ISBN 13 978-1849201810.
- Gu, J., Corbett, H. and Leach, M. (2019) "Introduction: The Belt and Road Initiative and the Sustainable Development Goals: Opportunities and Challenges", IDS Bulletin, Vol. 50, No. 4, p. 22. ISSN 0265-5012, E-ISSN 1759-5436. DOI 10.19088/1968-2019.136.
- Kosack, S. (2003) "Effective aid: How democracy allows development aid to improve the quality of life", World Development, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 1-22. ISSN 0305-750X. DOI 10.1016/S0305-750X(02)00177-8.
- Kostas, S. and Zezza, A. (2003) "A Conceptual Framework for National Agricultural, Rural Development and Food Seculrity Strategies and Policies", FAO, Agricultural and Development Division.
- Kumi, E., Ibrahim, M. and Yeboah, T. (2017) "Aid, aid volatility and sectoral growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: does finance matter?", Journal of African Business, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 435-456. E-ISSN 1522-9076, ISSN 1522-8916. DOI 10.1080/15228916.2017.1363358.
- Mahembe, E. and Odhiambo, N. M. (2019) "Foreign aid, poverty and economic growth in developing countries: A dynamic panel data causality analysis", Cogent Economics and Finance, Vol. 7, No. 1, E-ISSN 2332-2039. DOI 10.1080/23322039.2019.1626321.
- McArthur J. W. and Sachs, J. D. (2019) "Agriculture, Aid, and Economic Growth in Africa", The World Bank Economic Review, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 1-20. E-ISSN 1564-698X, ISSN 0258-6770. DOI 10.1093/wber/lhx029.
- McArthur, J. W. (2019) "Agricultural;s Role in Ending Extreme Poverty", In "The Last Mile in Ending Extreme Poverty", pp. 175-218. Washington: Brookings Press.
- McAuthur, J. W. and McCord, G. C. (2017) "Fertilisiing Growth: Agricultural Imputs and Their Effects in Economic Development", Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 127, pp. 133-152. ISSN 0304-3878. DOI 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2017.02.007.
- McNellis, P. E. (2009) "Foreign investment in developing country agriculture - The emerging role of private sector finance", FAO Commodity and Trade Policy Research Working Paper No. 28.
- Meijaard, E. and Sheil, D. (2019) "The moral minefield of ethical oil palm and sustainable development", Frontiers in Forests and Global Change, Vol. 2, 22 p. ISSN 2624-893X. DOI 10.3389/ffgc.2019.00022.
- Mozumdar, L. (2012) "Agricultural Productivity and Food Security in the Developing World", Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 35, No. 1-2, pp. 53-69. ISSN 0237-3539. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.196764.
- Nahanga, V. (2017) "The Impact of Agricultural Foreign Aid on Agriculture in Nigeria", Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 689-697. ISSN 1310-0351.
- NEPAD (2015) "The CAADP Results Framework (2015-2025) - Going for results and impacts sustaining CAADP momentum”. NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency. Addis Ababa: African Union Commission.
- Nin, A., Arndt, C., Hertel, T. W. and Preckel, P. V. (2003) "Bridging the gap between partial and total factor productivity measures using directional distance functions", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 85, No. 4, pp. 928-942. E-ISSN 1467-8276, ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.1111/1467-8276.00498.
- Norton, G. W., Ortiz, J. and Pardey, P. G. (1992) "The impact of foreign assistance on agricultural growth", Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 775-7786. ISSN 0013-0079.
- Nyiawung, R. A., Suh, N. and Ghose, B. (2019) "Trends in Cereal Production and Yield Dynamics in Sub-Saharan Africa Between 1990-2015", Journal of Economic Impact, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 98-107. E-ISSN 2664-9764. DOI 10.52223/jei0103195.
- OECD and FAO (2016) "Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa: Prospects and challenges for the next decade", In: "OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2016-2025", Paris: OECD. Publishing, pp. 59 - 95. DOI 10.1787/agr_outlook-2016-5-en.
- OECD (2007) "Promoting Pro-Poor Growth: Agriculture, Policy Guidance for Donors", DAC Guidelines and Reference Series, Paris: OECD. E-ISSN 19900988. ISBN 9789264024786 (pdf), 319 p. DOI 10.1787/9789264024786-en.
- Olajide, A. and Salami, A. (2012) "Analysis of Agricultural Productivity Growth, Innovation and Technological Progress in Africa", International Journal of Agricultural Science and Research (IJASR) Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 99-11. ISSN 2250-0057.
- Omoruyi, E. M. M., Zhibin, S., Jun, G., Sidi, S. Y. and Pianran, Y. (2016) "Foreign aid and economic growth: Does it plays any significant role in Sub-Sahara Africa", International Journal of Asian and African Studies, Vol. 23, pp. 129-140. ISSN 2409-6938.
- Roodman, D. (2009a) "A note on the theme of too many instruments", Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 71, No. 1, pp. 135-158. E-ISSN 1468-0084. DOI 10.1111/j.1468-0084.2008.00542.x.
- Roodman, D. ( 2009b) "How to do Xtabond2: An Introduction to Difference and System GMM in Stata", The Stata Journal, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 86-13. E-ISSN 1536-8734, ISSN 1536-867X. DOI 10.1177/1536867X0900900106.
- Shafiail, M. H. and Moi, M. R. (2015) "Fitting Islamic Financial Contracts in Developing Agricultural Land", Global Journal Al-Thaqafah (GJAT), Vol. 5, No. 1. E-ISSN 2232-0482, ISSN 2232-0474.
- Shimeles, A., Verdier-Chouchane, A. and Boly, A. (2018) "Building a Resilient and Sustainable Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa", Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. E-ISBN 978-3-319-76222-7, ISBN 978-3-319-76221-0. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-76222-7.
- Ssozi, J., Asongu, S. and Amavilah, V. H. (2018) "The Effectiveness of Development Aid for Agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa", Journal of Economic Studies, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 284-305. ISSN 01443585. DOI 10.1108/JES-11-2017-0324.
- van Arendonk, A. (2015) "The development of the share of agriculture in GDP and employment: A case study of China, Indonesia, the
- Verdier, D. (2008) "Multilateralism, Bilateralism, and Exclusion in the Nuclear Proliferation", International Organisation, Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 439-476. E-ISSN 1531-5088, ISSN 0020-8183. DOI 10.1017/S0020818308080156.
- Werker, E., Faisal, Z. and Ahmed, C. C. (2009) "How is foreign aid spent? Evidence from a natural experiment", American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, Vol. 1, No. 2, p. 225-244. E-ISSN 1945-7715, ISSN 1945-7707. DOI 10.1257/mac.1.2.225.
- Wickstead, M. A. (2015) "Aid and Development: a brief introduction", Oxford University Press. ISBN 13 9780198744924. DOI 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198744924.001.0001.
- World Bank. (2020) "Trading for Development In the Age of Global Value Chains". Washington: The World Bank. [Online.] Available: https://www.edx.org/course/global-value-chains-wdr-2020 [Accessed: 15 Sept. 2020].
- World Bank. (2020) "World Development Report 2020: Trading for Development in the age of global value chains", Washington: The World Bank. [Online.] Available: https://www.worldbank.org/en/publication/wdr2020 [Accessed: 15 Sept. 2020]. Agricultural Aid and Growth in Sub Saharan Africa: a Review of Empirical Evidence [