Agricultural Cooperatives and Their Impact on Economic Performance of Farms in Slovakia
No 2/2022, June
Palkovič, J., Matejková, E. and Richterová, E. (2022) "Agricultural Cooperatives and Their Impact on Economic Performance of Farms in Slovakia", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 85-95. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140207.
Effects of membership in cooperative organizations was investigated in many studies, and their results were sometimes controversial. Presented paper contributes to discussion related to cooperative membership by comparing members and non-members, with elimination of self-selection bias, to identify motivation to become member and main effects coming from membership in producer organization. Panel data used in the presented analysis are from Ministry of Agriculture of Slovak Republic at farm level for period of years 2009-2016, which was the most recent available data. Propensity score matching approach was applied to eliminate self-selection bias and to create sample of members and corresponding non-member farms in each year. Difference between these two groups were evaluated by methods of statistical inference. In general, it can be concluded, that in presented period were members of producer organizations more profitable than non-members. Also difference in total revenue was significant in period of year 2010-2013, which means probably successful using of advantage from better bargaining position of producer organization, compared to non-members. Significant difference in profit disappeared in last three years 2014-2016, this could suggest, that membership in producer organization was less attractive to many farms which led to decrease in number of members. Membership in producer organization probably improved economic performance of farms in Slovakia in period 2009-2013, but this advantage disappeared in last years. This could be probably linked to support for producer organizations from European Union in period 2007-2013.
Cooperative membership, producer organizations, propensity score matching, economic effects.
- Abebaw, D., Fentie, Y. and Kassa, B. (2010) "The impact of a food security program on household food consumption in northwestern Ethiopia: a matching estimator approach", Food Policy, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 286-293. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2010.01.002.
- Alho, E. (2015) "Farmers’ self-reported value of cooperative membership. Evidence from heterogeneous business and organization structures", Agricultural and Food Economics, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 1-22. ISSN 2193-7532. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2012.10.003.
- Alho, E. (2015) "Farmers’ self-reported value of cooperative membership. Evidence from heterogeneous business and organization structures", Agricultural and Food Economics, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 1-22. ISSN 2193-7532. DOI 10.1186/s40100-015-0041-6.
- Austin, P. C. (2011) "Comparing paired vs non-paired statistical methods of analyses when making inferences about absolute risk reductions in propensity-score matched samples", Statistics in Medicine, Vol. 30, No. 11, pp. 1292-1301. ISSN 1097-0258. DOI 10.1002/sim.4200.
- Bernard, T., Taffesse, A. S. and Gabre-Madhin, E. (2008) "Impact of cooperatives on smallholders´ commercialization behavior: evidence from Ethiopia", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 147-161. ISSN 1574-0862. DOI 10.1111/j.1574-0862.2008.00324.x.
- Bijman, J. (2012) "Support for Farmers' Cooperatives: sector report fruit and vegetables", Wageningen UR. [Online]. Available: https://edepot.wur.nl/244941 [Accessed: June 25, 2020].
- Bijman, J., Iliopoulos, C., Poppe, K. J., Gijselinckx, C., Hagedorn, K., Hanisch, M., Hendrikse, G. W. J., Kühl, R., Ollila, P., Pyykkönen, P. and Van der Sangen, G. (2012) "Support for Farmers' Cooperatives; Final Report", Wageningen UR.
- Bijman J. and Wijers G. (2019) "Exploring the inclusiveness of producer cooperatives", Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, Vol. 41, pp. 74-79. ISSN 1877-3435. DOI 10.1016/j.cosust.2019.11.005.
- Cakir, M. and Balagtas, J. V. (2012) "Estimating market power of US dairy cooperatives in the fluid milk market", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 94, No. 3, pp. 647-658. ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.1093/ajae/aar136.
- Cook, M. L. and Plunkett, B. (2006) "Collective entrepreneurship: an emerging phenomenon in producer-owned organizations", Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 421-428. ISSN 1074-0708. DOI 10.1017/S1074070800022458.
- Duvaleix-Tréguer, S. and Gaigné, C., (2015) "Producer Organizations and Members Performance in Hog Production", AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.205494.
- Fandel, P. and Bartová, Ľ. (2019) "The effect of Slovak farms membership in the producers organisations. A metafrontier approach ", In 10th International Conference on Applied Economics, 1st ed., 293 p. ISBN 978-83-65605-10-8. Olsztyn, Institute of Economic Research, pp. 82-83. [Online]. http://economic-research.pl/Books/index.php/eep/catalog/view/39/42/63-1 [Accessed: 22 July 2020].
- Gautam, S., Schreinemachers, P., Uddin, M. N. and Srinivasan, R. (2017) "Impact of training vegetable farmers in Bangladesh in integrated pest management (IPM)", Crop Protect, Vol. 102, pp. 161-169. ISSN 0261-2194. DOI 10.1016/j.cropro.2017.08.022.
- Gitonga, Z. M., De Groote, H., Kassie, M. and Tefera, T. (2013) "Impact of metal silos on households´ maize storage, storages losses and food security: an application of a propensity score matching", Food Policy, Vol. 43, pp. 44-55. ISSN 0306-9192 DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2013.08.005.
- Grashuis, J. and Su, Y. (2019) "A Review of the Empirical Literature on Farmer Cooperatives: Performance, Ownership and Governance, Finance, and Member Attitude", Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Vol. 90, No. 1, pp. 77-102. ISSN 1467-8292. DOI 10.1111/apce.12205.
- Gray, T. W. and Kraenzle, Ch. A. (1998) "Member Participation in Agricultural Cooperatives: A Regression and Scale Analysis", Rural Business-Cooperative Service, Research Report 165, United States Department of Agriculture, December 1998. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.280009.
- Hohler, J. and Kuhl, R. (2014) "Position and performance of farmer cooperatives in the food supply chain of the EU‐27", Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Vol. 85, No. 4, pp. 579-595. ISSN 1467-8292. DOI 10.1111/apce.12052.
- Chagwiza, C., Muradian, R. and Ruben, R. (2016) "Cooperative membership and dairy performance among smallholders in Ethiopia", Food Policy, Vol. 59, pp. 165-173. ISSN 0306 9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2016.01.008.
- Iliopoulos, C., Cook, M., Hendrikse, G. and Chymis, A. (2012) "Support for Farmers' Cooperatives: Experiences of Non-EU OECD Countries", Technical Report, Agricultural Economics Research Institute, Wageningen UR.
- Ito, J., Bao, Z. and Su, Q. (2012) "Distributional effects of agricultural cooperatives in China: Exclusion of smallholders and potential gains on participation", Food Policy, Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 700-709. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2012.07.009.
- Khan, M. A., Alam, M. F. and Khan, J. I. (2012) "The impact of co-management on household income and expenditure: an empirical analysis of common property fishery resource management in Bangladesh", Ocean & Coastal Management, Vol. 65, pp. 67-78. ISSN 0964-5691. DOI 10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2012.04.014.
- Kyriakopoulos, K., Meulenberg, M. and Nilsson, J. (2004) "The impact of cooperative structure and firm culture on market orientation and performance", Agribusiness, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 379-396. ISSN1520-6297. DOI 10.1002/agr.20021.
- Latynskiy, E. and Berger, T. (2016) "Networks of rural producer organizations in Uganda: what can be done to make them work better?", World Development, Vol. 78, pp. 572-586. ISSN 0305-750X. DOI 10.1016/j.worlddev.2015.10.014.
- Li, B., Lingsma, H. F., Steyerberg, E. W. and Lesaffre E. (2011) "Logistic random effects regression models: a comparison of statistical packages for binary and ordinal outcomes", BMC Med Research Methodology, Vol. 11, No. 77. ISSN 1471-2288. DOI 10.1186/1471-2288-11-77.
- Liang, Q. and Wang, X. (2020) "Cooperatives as competitive yardstick in the hog industry?-Evidence from China", Agribusiness, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 127-145. ISSN 1520-6297. DOI 10.1002/agr.21630.
- Ma, W. and Abdulai, A. (2016) "Does cooperative membership improve household welfare? Evidence from apple farmers in China", Food Policy, Vol. 58, pp. 94-102. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2015.12.002.
- Markelova, H., Meinzen-Dick, R., Hellin, J. and Dohrn, S. (2009) "Collective action for smallholder market access", Food Policy, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 1-7. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2008.10.001.
- Michalek, J., Ciaian, P. and Pokrivcak, J. (2018) "The impact of producer organizations on farm performance: The case study of large farms from Slovakia", Food Policy, Vol. 75, pp. 80-92. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2017.12.009.
- Nilsson, J. (1998) "The emergence of new organizational models for agricultural cooperatives", Swedish Journal of Agricultural Research, Vol. 28, No.1, pp. 39-47. ISSN 0049-2701.
- Ortmann, G. F. and King, R. P. (2007) "Agricultural Cooperatives I: History, Theory and Problems", Agricultural Economics Research, Policy and Practice in Southern Africa, Vol. 46, No.1, pp. 18-46. ISSN 2078-0400. DOI 10.1080/03031853.2007.9523760.
- Rahman, M. S., Norton, G. W. and Rashid, M. H.-A. (2018) "Economic impacts of integrated pest management on vegetables production in Bangladesh", Crop Protection, Vol. 113, pp. 6-14. ISSN 0261-2194. DOI 10.1016/j.cropro.2018.07.004.
- Schreinemachers, P., Wu, M., Uddin, M. N., Ahmad, S. and Hanson, P. (2016) "Farmer training in off-season vegetables: Effects on income and pesticide use in Bangladesh", Food Policy, Vol. 61, pp.132-140. ISSN 0306-9192 DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2016.03.002.
- Valentinov, V. (2007) "Why are cooperatives important in agriculture? An organizational economics perspective", Journal of Institutional Economics, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 55-69. ISSN 1744-1374. DOI 10.1017/S1744137406000555.
- Vandeplas, A., Minten, B. and Swinnen, J., (2013) "Multinationals vs. cooperatives: the income and efficiency effects of supply chain governance in India", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 64, No. 1., pp. 217-244. ISSN 1477-9552. DOI 10.1111/1477-9552.12004.
- Verhofstadt, E. and Maertens, M. (2015) "Can agricultural cooperatives reduce poverty? Heterogeneous impact of cooperative membership on farmers’ welfare in Rwanda", Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 86-106. ISSN 2040-5790. DOI 10.1093/aepp/ppu021.
- Wang, B., Cheng, P. Y., Lee, B., Sun, L. C. and Chang, H. H. (2019) "Does Participation in Agricultural Cooperatives Affect Farm Sustainability? Empirical Evidence from Taiwan", Sustainability, Vol. 11, No. 18. ISSN 2071-1050. DOI 10.3390/su11184987.
- World Bank (2007) "World Development Report 2008: Agriculture for Development", Washington DC: The World Bank; License: CC BY 3.0 IGO. [Online]. Available: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/5990 [Accessed: 22 July 2020].