Preferences of Small-Scale Farmers for Innovative Farming Techniques in Volcanic Highlands in Rwanda
No 2/2022, June
Maniriho, A., Musabanganji, E., Mulumeoderhwa, F., Manirakiza, D. and Lebailly, P. (2022) "Preferences of Small-Scale Farmers for Innovative Farming Techniques in Volcanic Highlands in Rwanda", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 73-83. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140206.
This paper attempted to identify the determinant factors of innovative technologies preferences by small-scale farmers in the Volcanic Highlands in Rwanda. Data used were collected from a random sample of 401 small-scale crop producers using a structured questionnaire in the study area. A logit regression model was specified, whereby a binary maximum likelihood estimation method was used to identify the factors affecting of the adoption of chemical fertilizers, the determinants of the combined use of chemical and organic fertilizers, the determinants of the adoption of improved seeds, as well as the determinant factors of appropriate use of pesticides. The results showed that farmer’s education level, farming experience, membership to farm cooperative, the number of extension visits, and crop farming are the factors that affect positively the probability of adopting one or other of the four innovative farming techniques. From these results, we suggest the enhancement of extension services and other needed support to small-scale farmers (grants and subsidies, access to finance for example), the spread of professional trainings to farmers, and the increased farmers’ access to high-yielding seed varieties if farming professionalization and innovative farming techniques are still among the development goals.
Innovative farming techniques, sustainability, adoption of technology, volcanic highlands, Rwanda.
- Adesina, A. A. and Baidu-Forson, J. (1995) "Farmers’ perceptions and adoption of new agricultural technology: evidence from analysis in Burkina Faso and Guinea, West Africa", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-9. ISSN 1574-0862.
- Agresti, A. (2018) "An introduction to categorical data analysis", John Wiley and Sons. ISBN 978-1-119-40528-3.
- Ali, M. and Miraz, M. H. (2015) "The cultural impact of diffusion of IT innovation in world society", In Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Recent Advances in Computer Systems, University of Ha’il, Ha’il, KSA. Atlantis Press. ISBN 978-94-6252-146-9, ISSN 2352-538X. DOI 10.2991/racs-15.2016.19.
- Asrat, S., Yesuf, M., Carlsson, F. and Wale, E. (2010) "Farmers’ preferences for crop variety traits: Lessons for on-farm conservation adoption", Ecological Economics, Vol. 69, No. 12, pp. 2394-2401. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2010.07.006.
- Bero, L. A., Grilli, R., Grimshaw, J. M., Harvey, M., Oxman, A. D. and Thomson, M. A. (1998) "Closing the gap between research and practice: an overview of systematic reviews of interventions to promote the implementation of research findings", BMJ, Vol. 317, pp. 465-468. ISSN 1756-1833. DOI 10.1136/bmj.317.7156.465.
- BID (2019) "Programme de transfert de technologies agricoles (PTTA): Mise en oeuvre, évaluation et leçons apprises". Agricultural Technology Transfer Program (PTTA): Implementation, Evaluation and Lessons Learned, Washington: Banque Interaméricaine de Développement (BID). [Online]. Available: https://publications.iadb.org/publications/french/document/Programme_de_Transfert_de_Technologies_Agricoles_PTTA_Mise_en_oeuvre_%C3%A9valuation_et_le%C3%A7ons_apprises.pdf. [Accessed: May 26, 2021]. (in French).
- Bonabana-Wabbi, J. (2002) "Assessing Factors Affecting Adoption of Agricultural Technologies: The Case of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in Kumi District, Eastern Uganda", Master Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. [Online]. Available: https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/36266. [Accessed: September 3, 2020].
- Breen, R., Karlson, K. B. and Holm, A. (2018) "Interpreting and understanding logits, probits, and other nonlinear probability models", Annual Review of Sociology, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 39-54. ISSN 1545-2115. DOI 10.1146/annurev-soc-073117-041429.
- Challa, M. (2013) "Determining Factors and Impacts of Modern Agricultural Technology Adoption in West Wollega", Munich: GRIN Publishing GmbH. ISBN 9783656744030.
- Chamorro-Premuzic, T. (2013) "The Five Characteristics of Successful Innovator", Harvard, Mass.: Harvard Business Publishing. [Online]. Available: https://hbr.org/2013/10/the-five-characteristics-of-successful-innovators. [Accessed: October 2, 2020].
- Chang, M. and Cheung, W. (2001) "Determinants of the intention to use internet/WWW at work: a confirmatory study", Information and Management, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 1-14. ISSN 0378-7206. DOI 10.1016/S0378-7206(01)00075-1.
- Delepierre, G. (1982) "Les Régions Agro-écologiques en Relation avec l'Intensité de l'Érosion )(Erosion intensity in agroecological zones)", Bulletin Agricole du Rwanda, Vol. 2, pp. 87-95. (in French).
- Drucker, P. F. (1986) "Innovation and Entrepreneurship – Practice and Principles", Public Productivity Review, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 105-109. ISSN 0361-6681. DOI 10.2307/3380320.
- Feder, G., Just, R. E. and Zilberman, D. (1985) "Adoption of agricultural innovations in developing countries: A survey", Economic development and cultural change, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 255-298. ISSN 0013-0079. DOI 10.1086/451461.
- Hardaker, J. B. and Lien, G. (2010) "Probabilities for decision analysis in agriculture and rural resource economics: The need for a paradigm change", Agricultural Systems, Vol. 103, No. 6, pp. 345-350. ISSN 0308-521X. DOI 10.1016/j.agsy.2010.01.001.
- Hightower, R. O. S. S. and Brightman, H. J. (1994) "A test of Rogers’ optional adoption decision model in an organizational setting", Journal of Information Technology Management, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 11-19. ISSN 2423-5059.
- Jerop, R., Dannenberg, P., George Owuor, G. and Mshenga, P. (2018) "Factors affecting the adoption of agricultural innovations on underutilized cereals: The case of finger millet among smallholder farmers in Kenya", African Journal of Agricultural Research, Vol. 13, No. 36, ISSN 1991-637X. DOI 10.5897/AJAR2018.13357.
- Loevinsohn, M., Sumber, J. and Diagne, A. (2012) "Under what circumstances and conditions does adoption of technology result in increased agricultural productivity?", Protocol, EPPI Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London. [Online]. Available: https://eppi.ioe.ac.uk/cms/Portals/0/PDF%20reviews%20and%20summaries/Agricultural%20technology%202012Loevinsohn%20protocol.pdf?ver=2012-12-12-104836-213. [Accessed: June 2, 2021].
- Lybbert, T. and Summer, D. (2010) "Agricultural technologies for climate change mitigation and adaptation in developing countries: policy options for innovation and technology diffusion", Geneva: International Center for Trade and Sustainable Development. [Online]. Available: https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/117246/agricultural-technologies-for-climate-change-mitigation-and-adaptation-in-developing-countries_web.pdf. [Accessed: June 2, 2021].
- Mabe, F. N., Donkoh, S. A. and Al-Hassan, S. (2018) "Accounting for rice productivity heterogeneity in Ghana: the twos-step stochastic metafrontier approach", International Journal of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 8, pp. 223-232. ISSN 2007-42066. DOI 10.5281/zenodo.1340613.
- Meijer, S. S., Catacutan, D., Ajayi, O. C., Sileshi, G. W. and Nieuwenhuis, M. (2015) "The role of knowledge, attitudes and perceptions in the uptake of agricultural and agroforestry innovations among smallholder farmers in sub-Saharan Africa", International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 40-54. ISSN 1747-762X. DOI 10.1080/14735903.2014.912493.
- MINAGRI (1989) "Séminaire Régional sur la problématique de la fertilisation et du revenu du paysan sur les sols de hautes altitudes du Rwanda" (Regional research seminar on the issues of fertilization and peasant farmer’s income in highland regions in Rwanda), Séminaire,Gikongoro 13-19 Nov. 1988, Rwanda, Kigali: MINAGRI. (In French).
- MINAGRI (2012) "Duhinge kijyambere" (Innovative Farming Practices), Kigali: MINAGRI. [Online]. Available: https://yeanrwanda.org/images/E_library/Duhinge%20kijyambere.pdf [Accessed: June 2, 2021].
- Mulumeoderhwa, M. F., Maniriho, A., Manirakiza, D., Furaha, G., Mastaki, J. L. and Lebailly, P. (2019) "Risk analysis in the peasant framework: empirical analysis of farmers in South Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo", Agriculture and Forestry (Poljoprivreda i Sumarstvo), Vol. 65, No. 4, pp. 35-45. ISSN 1800-9492. DOI 10.17707/AgricultForest.65.4.04.
- Mwangi, M. and Kariuki, S. (2015) "Factors determining adoption of new agricultural technology by smallholder farmers in developing countries", Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 2008-2016. E-ISSN 2222-2855, ISSN 2222-2855.
- Namwata, B. M. L., Lwelamira, J., and Mzirai, O. B. (2010) "Adoption of improved agricultural technologies for Irish potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) among farmers in Mbeya Rural district, Tanzania: A case of Ilungu Ward", Journal of animal and plant sciences, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 927-935. ISSN 2071-7024.
- Ndindabahizi, I. and Ngwabije, R. (1991) "Stratégie nationale de conservation des sols: Evaluation des systèmes d’exploitation agricole pour une régionalisation des techniques de conservation et d’aménagement des fertilités des sols" (National strategy of land conservation: assessment of farming systems for regional land conservation techniques and soil fertility management), Report, 15. 01. 1991. Kigali: MINAGRI. [Online]. Available: https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/bitstream/handle/2152/5212/2515.pdf?sequence=1. [Accessed: June 2, 2021]. (in French).
- Onubuogu, G. C., Esiobu, N. S., Nwosu, C. S. and Okereke, C. N. (2014) "Resource use efficiency of smallholder cassava farmers in Owerri Agricultural Zone, Imo State, Nigeria", Scholarly Journal of Agricultural Science, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp. 306-318. ISSN 2276-7118.
- Quddus, M. A. (2012) "Adoption of dairy farming technologies by small farm holders: practices and constraints", Bangladesh Journal of Animal Science, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 124-135. ISSN 0003-3588. DOI 10.3329/bjas.v41i2.14132.
- Robertson, T. S. and Gatignon, H. (1986) "Competitive effects on technology diffusion", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 1-12. ISSN 1547-7185. DOI 10.2307/1251581.
- Rogers, E. M. (1962) "Diffusion of innovations", 1st ed., New York: The Free Press. ISBN-10 002926670X, ISBN-13 978-0029266700.
- Rogers, E. M. (1983) "Diffusion of innovations", 3rd ed., New York: The Free Press. ISBN 002-926650-5.
- Rogers, E. M. (2003) "Diffusion of innovations", 5th ed., New York: Simon and Schuster. ISBN-10 074322091, ISBN-13 9780743222099.
- Rushemuka, P. N., Bock, L. and Mowo J. G. (2014) "Soil science and agricultural development in Rwanda: state of the art. A review", Biotechnology, Agronomy, Society and Environment, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 142-154. ISSN 1780-4507.
- Ruto, E. and Garrod, G. (2009) "Investigating farmers’ preferences for the design of agri-environment schemes: a choice experiment approach", Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 631-647. ISSN 1360-0559. DOI 10.1080/09640560902958172.
- Sain, G. and Martinez, J. (1999) "Adoption and Use of Improved Maize by Small-Scale Farmers in Southeast Guatemala", Economics Working Papers, CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, 31 p. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.7687.
- Sanson-Fisher, R. W. (2004) "Diffusion of innovation theory for clinical change", Medical Journal of Australia, Vol. 180, No. S6, pp. S55-S56. ISSN 1326-5377. DOI 10.5694/j.1326-5377.2004.tb05947.x.
- Schumpeter, J. A. (1934) "The Theory of Economic Development", London: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780674879904.
- Shiferaw, B. A., Okello, J. and Reddy, R. V. (2007) "Adoption and adaptation of natural resource management innovations in smallholder agriculture: reflections on key lessons and best practices", Environment, Development and Sustainability, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 601-619. ISSN 1573-2975. DOI 10.1007/s10668-007-9132-1.
- Starmann, E., Heise, L., Kyegombe, N., Devries, K., Abramsky, T., Michau, L.,Musuya, T., Watts, Ch. and Collumbien, M. (2018) "Examining diffusion to understand the how of SASA!, a violence against women and HIV prevention intervention in Uganda", BMC public health, Vol. 18, No. 1. ISSN 1471-2458 DOI 10.1186/s12889-018-5508-4.
- Uaiene, R., Arndt, C. and Masters, W. (2009) "Determinants of Agricultural Technology Adoption in Mozambique", Discussion papers No. 67E. [Online]. Available: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Determinants-of-Agricultural-Technology-Adoption-in-Uaiene/d25fafaf377b215a8d0bbdc55de2a8c32978a17f. [Accessed: May 28, 2021].
- Verdoodt, A. and Van Ranst, E. (2003) "Land evaluation for agricultural production in the tropics: a large scale land suitability classification for Rwanda", Gent, Belgium: Ghent University, Laboratory of Soil Science. [Online]. Available: https://library.wur.nl/isric/fulltext/isricu_t4d6e4a61_001.pdf. [Accessed: May 27, 2021].
- Wauters, E. and Mathijs, E. (2013) "An investigation into the socio-psychological determinants of farmers’ conservation decisions: method and implications for policy, extension and research", The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 53-72. ISSN 1389-224X. DOI 10.1080/1389224X.2012.714711.
- Yirga, C. and Alemu, D. (2016) "Adoption of crop technologies among smallholder farmers in Ethiopia: implications for research and development", Ethiopian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, EIAR 50th Year Jubilee Anniversary Special, pp. 1-16. E-SSN 2415-2382.