Are There the Impacts of Environmental Regulations on Manufacturing Export? Empirical Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing
No 2/2022, June
Liu, Ch. and Rumánková, L. (2022) "Are There the Impacts of Environmental Regulations on Manufacturing Export? Empirical Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 57-72. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140205.
Environmental regulation is an effective tool to control environmental problems caused by foreign trade. Research conclusions are inconsistent on the relationship between environmental regulations and exports. Based on the Heckscher-Ohlin-Vanek model, this paper provides an empirical analysis for examination the effect of environmental regulations on manufacturing exports, adopting panel data of 16 sectors from China’s manufacturing during 2005-2015. Material capital, human capital, technology input and foreign direct investment are simultaneously selected as independent variables to explore the export impact of corresponding changes in these endowments. The pollution intensity index was introduced to categorise different manufacturing sectors. Results indicated that China’s environmental regulations intensity play different roles in the manufacturing sectors with different pollution levels. Stricter environmental regulation improves the export of intensive pollution manufacturing sectors but hinders exports in light pollution sectors. Meanwhile, other endowment factors also exert varying effects in the light, moderate and intensive pollution manufacturing sectors.
Environmental regulation, Heckscher-Ohlin-Vanek model, manufacturing export, China, pollution index.
- Albrizio, S., Kozluk, T. and Zipperer, V. (2017) "Environmental policies and productivity growth: Evidence across industries and firms", Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol. 81, pp.209-226. ISSN 0095-0696. DOI 10.1016/j.jeem.2016.06.002.
- Arouri, M. E. H., Caporale, G. M., Rault, C., Sova, R. and Sova. A. (2012) "Environmental regulation and competitiveness: evidence from Romania", Ecological Economics, Vol. 81, pp.130-139. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2012.07.001.
- Brunel, C. (2017) "Pollution offshoring and emission reductions in EU and US manufacturing", Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 621-641. ISSN 0924-6460. DOI 10.1007/s10640-016-0035-1.
- Brandi, C., Blümer, D. and Morin, J.-F. (2019) "When do international treaties matter for domestic environmental legislation?", Global Environmental Politics, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp.14-44. ISSN 1526-3800. DOI 10.1162/glep_a_0052.
- Cai, X., Che, X., Zhu, B., Zhao, J. and Xie, R. (2018) "Will developing countries become pollution havens for developed countries? An empirical investigation in the Belt and Road", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 198, pp. 624-632. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.06.291.
- Cole, M. A. and Elliott, R. J. (2003) "Do environmental regulations influence trade patterns? Testing old and new trade theories", World Economy, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp.1163-1186. ISSN 1467-9701. DOI 10.1111/1467-9701.00567.
- Cole, M. A., Elliott, R. J. and Shimamoto, K. (2005) "Why the grass is not always greener: the competing effects of environmental regulations and factor intensities on US specialization", Ecological Economics, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 95-109. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2004.11.014.
- Cole, M. A., Elliott, R. J. and Okubo, T. (2010) "Trade, environmental regulations and industrial mobility: An industry-level study of Japan", Ecological Economics, Vol. 69, No. 10, pp. 1995-2002. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2010.05.015.
- Copeland, B. R. and Taylor, M. S. (2004) "Trade, growth, and the environment", Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 7-71. ISSN 0022-0515. DOI 10.1257/00220510477355804.
- Fu, J. Y. and Li, L. S. (2010) "FDI, Environmental Regulation and Pollution Haven Effect: Empirical Analysis of China’s Provinces Panel Data", Journal of Public Management, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 65-74. ISSN 1672-6162. (in Chinese) DOI 10.1080/13547860802131326..
- Hering, L. and Poncet, S. (2014) "Environmental policy and exports: Evidence from Chinese cities", Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol. 68, No. 2, pp. 296-318. ISSN 0095-0696. DOI 10.1016/j.jeem.2014.06.005.
- Jiang, Z., Wang, Z. and Li, Z. (2018) "The effect of mandatory environmental regulation on innovation performance: Evidence from China", Journal of cleaner production, Vol. 203, pp.482-491. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.078.
- Kheder, S. B. and Zugravu, N. (2012) "Environmental regulation and French firms location abroad: An economic geography model in an international comparative study", Ecological Economics, Vol. 77, pp. 48-61. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2011.10.005.
- Levinson, A. (2010) "Offshoring pollution: is the United States increasingly importing polluting goods?", Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 63-83. ISSN 1750-6816. DOI 10.1093/reep/rep017.
- Li, X. P. and Li, X. K. (2017) "Study on the differences and convergence of industry environment regulation intensity in China", China Population, Resources and Environment, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 1-9. ISSN 1002-2104. (in Chinese).
- Millimet, D. L. and Roy, J. (2016) "Empirical tests of the pollution haven hypothesis when environmental regulation is endogenous", Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 652-677. ISSN 1099-1255. DOI 10.1002/jae.2451.
- N.B.S.C. (2020) "China Trade and External Economic", Statistical Yearbook. China Statistics Press, Beijing. (in Chinese).
- Ouyang, X., Li, Q. and Du, K. (2020) "How does environmental regulation promote technological innovations in the industrial sector? Evidence from Chinese provincial panel data", Energy Policy, Vol. 139, p. 111310. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2020.111310.
- Palmer, K., Oates, W. E. and Portney, P. R. (1995) "Tightening environmental standards: the benefit-cost or the no-cost paradigm?", Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 119-132. ISSN 0895-3309. DOI 10.1257/jep.9.4.119.
- Pigou, A. C. (1924) "The economics of welfare", Palgrave Macmillan.
- Porter, M. E. and Van der Linde, C. (1995) "Toward a new conception of the environment-competitiveness relationship", Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 97-118. ISSN 0895-3309. DOI 10.1257/jep.9.4.97.
- Porter, M. E. (1991) "America's green strategy", Scientific American, Vol. 264, No. 4, pp. 168. ISSN 0036-8733. DOI 10.1038/scientificamerican0491-168.
- Rubashkina, Y., Galeotti, M. and Verdolini, E. (2015) "Environmental regulation and competitiveness: Empirical evidence on the Porter Hypothesis from European manufacturing sectors", Energy Policy, Vol. 83, pp. 288-300. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2015.02.014.
- Qi, T., Winchester, N., Karplus, V. J. and Zhang, X. (2014) "Will economic restructuring in China reduce trade-embodied CO2 emissions?", Energy Economics, Vol. 42, pp. 204-212. ISSN 0140-9883. DOI 10.1016/j.eneco.2013.12.011.
- Shi, X. and Xu, Z. (2018) "Environmental regulation and firm exports: Evidence from the eleventh Five-Year Plan in China", Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol. 89, pp.187-200. ISSN 0095-0696. DOI 10.1016/j.jeem.2018.03.003.
- Song, M., Wang, S. and Zhang, H. (2020) "Could environmental regulation and RandD tax incentives affect green product innovation?", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 258, p. 120849. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.120849.
- Teixeira, A. A. and Tavares-Lehmann, A. T. (2014) "Human capital intensity in technology-based firms located in Portugal: Does foreign ownership matter?", Research Policy, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp.737-748. ISSN 0048-7333. DOI 10.1016/j.respol.2014.01.001.
- Tobey, J. A. (1990) "The effects of domestic environmental policies on patterns of world trade: an empirical test", Kyklos, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 191-209. ISSN 0023-5962. DOI 10.1111/j.1467-6435.1990.tb00207.x.
- Torres-Reyna, O. (2007) "Panel data analysis fixed and random effects using Stata (v. 4.2)", Data and Statistical Services, Priceton University. [Online]. Available: https://dss.princeton.edu/training/Panel101.pdf [Accessed: 10 Feb. 2021].
- United Nations. (2015) "Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development", [Online]. Available: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld/ [Accessed: 10 Feb. 2021].
- Wang, C. and Zhang, Y. J. (2020) "Does environmental regulation policy help improve green production performance? Evidence from China's industry", Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 937-951. ISSN 1535-3966. DOI 10.1002/csr.1857.
- Wang, Z., Zhang, B. and Zeng, H. (2016) "The effect of environmental regulation on external trade: empirical evidences from Chinese economy", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 114, pp. 55-61. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.07.148.
- Walter, I. and Ugelow, J. L. (1979) "Environmental policies in developing countries", Ambio, Vol. 8, No. 2/3, pp.102-109. ISSN 0044-7447.
- Zhai, X. and An, Y. (2020) "Analyzing influencing factors of green transformation in China’s manufacturing industry under environmental regulation: A structural equation model", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 251, p.119760. ISSN 0959-6526 DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.119760.
- Zhang, Y., Cui, J. and Lu, C. (2020) "Does environmental regulation affect firm exports? Evidence from wastewater discharge standard in China", China Economic Review, Vol. 61, p.101451. ISSN 1043-951X. DOI 10.1016/j.chieco.2020.101451.
- Zhu, X., Zeng, A., Zhong, M., Huang, J. and Qu, H.(2019) "Multiple impacts of environmental regulation on the steel industry in China: A recursive dynamic steel industry chain CGE analysis", Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 210, pp. 490-504. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.10.350.
- Xiong, Y. and Wu, S. (2021) "Real economic benefits and environmental costs accounting of China-US trade", Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 279, p. 111390. ISSN 0095-0696. DOI 10.1016/j.jenvman.2020.111390.
- Yu, X. and Wang, P. (2021) "Economic effects analysis of environmental regulation policy in the process of industrial structure upgrading: Evidence from Chinese provincial panel data", Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 753, p.142004. ISSN 0048-9697. DOI 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.142004.