Do Subsidies Decrease the Farm Income Inequality in Hungary?
No 2/2022, June
Fertö, I., Bojnec, Š. and Podruzsik, S. (2022) "Do Subsidies Decrease the Farm Income Inequality in Hungary?", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 49-56. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140204.
The paper investigates the impact of different sources of income on farm household income inequality in Hungary using Farm Accountancy Data Network dataset for the period 2007-2015. The decomposition of the Gini coefficients by income sources is applied to focus on the impact of the policy shift from market to government support on farm household income inequality. Off-farm income are rather stable with a slight increase impact on farm household income inequality. Pillar 1 for direct income support subsidies have remained more important than Pillar 2 for rural development subsidies for farm income due to the importance of direct payments or single area payments for crop production. A slight increase in the importance of subsidies from Pillar 2 can be linked to a policy shift towards targeting farms in less favoured areas, and a greater role of agri-environmental and other rural development payments. The most striking finding is regarding instabilities, declining pattern, and for a large majority of farms negative market income. Subsidies from Pillar 1 reduced, while market income increased farm household income inequality.
Income inequality, off-farm income, Gini decomposition.
- Allanson, P. (2006) "The redistributive effects of agricultural policy on Scottish farm incomes", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 57, No. 1, pp.117-128. ISSN 1477-9552. DOI 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2006.00035.x.
- Allanson, P. and Rocchi, B. (2008) "A comparative analysis of the redistributive effects of agricultural policy in Tuscany and Scotland", Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies, Vol. 86, No. 1, pp. 35-56. ISSN 2425-6870. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.188544.
- Allanson, P., Kasprzyk, K. and Barnes, A. P. (2017) "Income mobility and income inequality in Scottish agriculture", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 68, No. 2, pp. 471-493. ISSN 1477-9552. DOI 10.3406/reae.2008.2069.
- Aristei, D. and Perugini, C. (2010) "Preferences for redistribution and inequality in wellbeing across Europe", Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 176-195. ISSN 0161-8938. DOI 10.1016/j.jpolmod.2010.02.001.
- Beluhova-Uzunova, R., Atanasov, D. and Hristov, K. (2017) "Analysis of Direct Payments Distribution in Bulgarian Agriculture", Trakia Journal of Sciences, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 282-287. E-ISSN 1313-3551, ISSN 1312-1723. DOI 10.15547/tjs.2017.s.01.051.
- Beluhova-Uzunova, R., Atanasov, D. and Shiskova, M. (2020) "Distribution of Direct payments in Bulgaria – Policy Lessons and Prospects Beyond 2020", Management, Economic Engineering in Agriculture and Rural Development, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 53-59. ISSN 2284-7995.
- Biagini, L., Antonioli, F. and Severini, S. (2020) "The Role of the Common Agricultural Policy in Enhancing Farm Income: A Dynamic Panel Analysis Accounting for Farm Size in Italy", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 71, No. 3, pp. 652-675. ISSN 1477-9552. DOI 10.1111/1477-9552.12383.
- Bojnec, Š. and Fertő, I. (2019a) "Do CAP subsidies stabilise farm income in Hungary and Slovenia?", Agricultural Economics – Czech, Vol. 65, No. 3, pp. 103-111. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/190/2018-AGRICECON.
- Bojnec, Š. and Fertő, I. (2019b) "Farm household income inequality in Slovenia", Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, Vol. 17, No. 4, E-ISSN 2171-9292. DOI 10.5424/sjar/2019174-13996.
- Ciliberti, S. and Frascarelli, A. (2018) "The CAP 2013 reform of direct payments: redistributive effects and impacts on farm income concentration in Italy", Agricultural and Food Economics, Vol.6, No. 19 ISSN 2193-7532. DOI 10.1186/s40100-018-0113-5.
- El Benni, N., Finger, R., Mann, S. and Lehmann, B. (2012) "The distributional effects of agricultural policy reforms in Switzerland", Agricultural Economics-Czech, Vol. 58, No. 11, pp. 497-509. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/215/2011-AGRICECON.
- El Benni, N., Finger, R. (2013) "The effect of agricultural policy reforms on income inequality in Swiss agriculture -An analysis for valley, hill and mountain regions", Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 638-651. ISSN 0161-8938.
- Enjolras, G., Capitano, F., Aubert, M. and Adinolfi, F. (2014) "Direct payments, crop insurance and the volatility of farm income. Some evidence in France and in Italy", New Medit, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 31-40. ISSN 1120-6403. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.122478.
- Espinosa, M., Louhichi, K., Perni, A. and Ciaian, P. (2020) "EU‐Wide Impacts of the 2013 CAP Direct Payments Reform: A Farm‐Level Analysis", Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Vol. 42, No.4, pp. 695-715. ISSN 2040-5804. DOI 10.1093/aepp/ppz021.
- Fragoso, R., Marques, C., Lucas, M. R., Martins, M. B. and Jorge, R. (2011) "The economic effects of Common Agricultural Policy on Mediterranean montado/dehesa ecosystem", Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 33, pp. 311-327. ISSN 0161-8938. DOI 10.1016/j.jpolmod.2010.12.007.
- Gardner, L. B. (1969) "Determinants of Farm Family Income Inequality", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 753-769. ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.2307/1237772.
- Hanson, A. (2021) "Assessing the redistributive impact of the 2013 CAP reforms: an EU-wide panel study", European Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 48. No. 2, pp. 338-361. ISSN 0165-1587. DOI 10.1093/erae/jbab006.
- Keeney, M. (2000) "The distributional impact of direct payments on Irish farm incomes", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 252-265. ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2000.tb01227.x.
- Manero, A. (2017) "The limitations of negative incomes in the Gini coefficient decomposition by source", Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 24, No. 14, pp. 977-981. ISSN 1350-485. DOI 10.1080/13504851.2016.1245828.
- Mishra, A., El-Osta, H. and Gillespie, J. M. (2009) "Effect of agricultural policy on regional income inequality among farm households", Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 325-340. ISSN 0161-8938. DOI 10.1016/j.jpolmod.2008.12.007.
- Moreddu, C. (2011) "Distribution of support and income in agriculture", OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Working Papers, No. 46, Paris: OECD Publishing. DOI 10.1787/5kgch21wkmbx-en.
- Nitta, A., Yamamoto, Y., Kondo, K. and Sawauchi, D. (2020) "Direct payments to Japanese farmers: Do they reduce rice income inequality? Lessons for other Asian countries", Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 968-981. ISSN 0161-8938. DOI 10.1016/j.jpolmod.2020.02.006.
- reform on farm income inequality", Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 212-227. ISSN 0161-8938. DOI 10.1016/j.jpolmod.2012.12.002.
- Severini, S. and Tantari, A. (2013b) "The impact of agricultural policy on farm income concentration: The case of regional implementation of the CAP direct payments in Italy", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 275-286. ISSN 1574-0862. DOI 10.1111/agec.12010.
- Severini, S. and Tantari, A. (2014) "Which factors affect the distribution of direct payments among farmers in the EU Member States?", Empirica, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 25-48. ISSN 0340-8744. DOI 10.1007/s10663-013-9243-x.
- Severini, S. and Tantari, A. (2015) "The distributional impact of agricultural policy tools on Italian farm household incomes", Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 124-135. ISSN 0161-8938. DOI 10.1016/j.jpolmod.2015.01.004.
- Sinabell, F., Schmidt, E. and Hofreiter, M. F. (2013) "Exploring the Distribution of Direct Payments of the Common Agricultural Policy", Empirica, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 325-341. ISSN 0340-8744. DOI 10.1007/s10663-012-9194-7.
- Tantari, A., Pierangeli, F. and Cardillo, C. (2019) "Assessing the Impact of Direct Payments Convergence on Farm Income Inequality: The Case of Italian Farms", Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 417-428. ISSN 0897-4438. DOI 10.1080/08974438.2019.1599761.
- von Witzke, H. and Noleppa, S. (2007) "Agricultural and Trade Policy Reform and Inequality: The Distributive Effects of Direct Payments to German Farmers under the EU's New Common Agricultural Policy", Working Paper 79 Humboldt University of Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics, Working Paper Series. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.10289.