Consumption and Beef Price Changes on Demand in East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
No 2/2021, June
Nendissa, D. R., Anindita, R., Khoiriyah, N. and Sa’diyah A. A. (2021) "Consumption and Beef Price Changes on Demand in East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 97-107. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130208.
Households consume animal protein after carbohydrate food is fulfilled, moreover animal protein prices are increasing. This study aims to analyze the effect of rising beef prices on demand. The demand system approach uses the Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System (QUAIDS) model. Estimation of parameters using Iterated non-linear Seemingly Unrelated Regression. The research data use the 2016 National Socio-Economic Survey (Susenas, 2016), amounting to 10,751 households. The results of the study concluded that beef is the third most elastic animal food after fresh fish and chicken meat. Fresh fish in the most elastic among all animal foods with a demand elasticity of 3.31%, followed by chicken, beef, milk powder, and eggs with demand elasticities of 1.55%, 1.62%, 1.29%, and 0.80%, respectively. Beef is a luxury item with an income elasticity of 1.59%, as well as fresh fish, chicken meat, and milk powder. While eggs are normal goods. Although fresh fish is more elastic than beef, beef marginal expenditure share (MES) is higher than fresh fish MES, so that in the long run, the increase in household income tends to increase beef consumption more than fresh fish.
Beef prices, animal food demand, elasticity, luxurious good, marginal expenditure share.
- Abdulai, A. (2002) “Household demand for food in Switzerland. A quadratic almost ideal demand system”, Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), Vol. 138, No. 1, pp. 1-18. ISSN 2235-6282.
- Abdullah, N. M. R., Ghaffar, R. A. and Poerwono, D. (1994) “An almost ideal demand system analysis of fresh fish in Semarang, Indonesia ”, Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing, Vol. 6, No.3, pp. 19-28. ISSN 0897-4438.
- Abegaz, G. A., Hassen, I. W. and Minten, B. (2018) “Consumption of animal-source foods in Ethiopia: Patterns, changes, and determinants", International Food Policy Research Institute, ESSP Working paper, 27 p.
- Acar, E. Ö., Günalp, B. and Cilasun, S. M. (2016) “An empirical analysis of household education expenditures in Turkey”, International Journal of Educational Development, Vol. 51, pp. 23-35. ISSN 0738-0593. DOI 10.1016/j.ijedudev.2016.03.007.
- Ackah, C. and Appleton, S. (2007) “Food price changes and consumer welfare in Ghana in the 1990s", CREDIT Research Paper. [Online]. Available: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/5199919_Food_Price_Changes_and_Consumer_Welfare_in_Ghana_in_the_1990s [Accessed: 15 Jan., 2020].
- Aftab, S., Yaseen, M. R. and Anwar, S. (2017) “Impact of rising food prices on consumer welfare in the most populous countries of South Asia”, International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 44, No. 8. ISSN 0306-8293. DOI 10.1108/IJSE-01-2016-0016.
- Alderiny, M. M. and Ahmed, S. B. (2019) “Analysis Of Saudi Demand For Imported Broiler Chickens”, JAPS, Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences”, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 833-841. ISSN 1018-7081.
- Alem, Y. (2011) “The impact of food price inflation on consumer welfare in urban Ethiopia: A quadratic almost ideal demand system approach”, Economic Studies Department of Economics School of Business, Economics and Law University of Gothenburg, 54 p.
- Andreyeva, T., Long, M. W. and Brownell, K. D. (2010) “The impact of food prices on consumption: A systematic review of research on the price elasticity of demand for food”, American Journal of Public Health, Vol. 100, No. 2, pp. 216-222. ISSN 1541-0048. DOI 10.2105/AJPH.2008.151415.
- Anindita, R., Sadiyah, A. A., Khoiriyah, N. and Nendyssa, D. R. (2020) “The demand for beef in Indonesian urban”, In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science , Vol. 411, No. 1, IOP Publishing.
- Ariani, M. (2010) “Analisis konsumsi pangan tingkat masyarakat mendukung pencapaian diversifikasi pangan”, Gizi Indonesia, Vo. 33, No. 1. E-ISSN 2338-3119. DOI 10.36457/gizindo.v33i1.84.
- Banks, J., Blundell, R. and Lewbel, A. (1997) “Quadratic Engel curves and consumer demand”, Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 79, No. 4, pp. 527-539. ISSN 0034-6535.
- Braschler, C. H. (1983) “The changing demand structure for pork and beef in the 1970s: Implications for the 1980s”, Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 15, pp. 105-110. ISSN 0081-3052.
- Coelho, A. B. and Aguiar, D. (2007) “O modelo quadratic almost ideal demand system (quaids): Uma aplicação para o brasil”, In Gasto e Consumo Das Famílias Brasileiras Contemporâneas, pp. 485–514. ISBN 9788586170850.
- Dávila, O. G. (2010) “Food security and poverty in Mexico: The impact of higher global food prices”, Food Security, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 383-393. ISSN 1876-4517.
- Deaton, A. and Muellbauer, J.(1980) “Economics and Consumer Behavior", Cambridge University Press, UK.
- Deaton, A. and Muellbauer, J. (1980) “An almost ideal demand system”, The American Economic Review, Vol. 70, No. 3, pp. 312-326. ISSN 0002-8282.
- Hutasuhut, M., Chang, H.-S., Griffith, G., O’Donnell, C. and Doran, H. (2002) The Demand for Beef in Indonesia: Implications for Australian Agribusiness", Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Vol. 10, pp. 1-10. ISSN 1442-6951. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.206155.
- Jeong, S. (2019) "The Change in Price Elasticities in the US Beef Cattle Industry and the Impact of Futures Prices in Estimating the Price Elasticities", paper presented at the NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management, Minneapolis, Minnesota, April 15-16, 2019.
- Kaliji, S. A., Mojaverian, S. M., Amirnejad, H. and Canavari, M. (2019) “Factors Affecting Consumers’ Dairy Products Preferences”, AGRIS on-Line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 3-11. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.294150.
- Katare, B., Wang, H. H., Lawing, J., Hao, N., Park, T. and Wetzstein, M. (2020) “Toward Optimal Meat Consumption”, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 102, No. 2, pp. 662-680. ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.1002/ajae.12016.
- Kaur, G. and Kaur, A. (2020) “Income and Expenditure Pattern of Marginalised Categories of Rural Punjab”, Indian Journal of Economics and Development, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 137-141. ISSN 2277-5412.
- Kharisma, B., Alisjahbana, A. S., Remi, S. S. and Praditya, P. (2020) “Application of the Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System (QUAIDS) Model in the Demand of the Household Animal Sourced Food in West Java”, Agris on-Line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 23-35. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2020.120103.
- Khoiriyah, N., Anindita, R., Hanani, N. and Muhaimin, A. W. (2019) “Animal Food Demand in Indonesian Rural: A Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System Approach”, WACANA, Jurnal Sosial Dan Humaniora, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 85-90. ISSN 2338-1884.
- Khoiriyah, N., Anindita, R., Hanani, N. and Muhaimin, A. W. (2020) “Animal Food Demand in Indonesia: A Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System Approach”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 85-97. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2020.120208.
- Korir, L., Rizov, M. and Ruto, E. (2018) “Analysis of household food demand and its implications on food security in Kenya: An application of QUAIDS model”, 92nd Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2018, Warwick University, Coventry, UK.
- Kumar, D. and Kaur, A. (2017) “Credit Availed and Income-Expenditure Pattern of Marginal and Small Farmers in South Western Punjab”, Journal of Agricultural Development and Policy, Vol. 27, No. 1 and 2,pp. 44-52. E-ISSN 2322-0457, ISSN 0974-9071.
- Law, C., Fraser, I. and Piracha, M. (2020) “Nutrition Transition and Changing Food Preferences in India”, Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 71, No. 1, pp. 118-143. E-ISSN 1477-9552. DOI 10.1111/1477-9552.12322.
- Mahbubi, A., Uchiyama, T. and Hatanaka, K. (2019) “Capturing consumer value and clustering customer preferences in the Indonesian halal beef market”, Meat Science, Vol. 156, pp. 23-32. ISSN 0309-1740. DOI 10.1016/j.meatsci.2019.05.012.
- Mittal, S. (2010) “Application of the QUAIDS model to the food sector in India”, Journal of Quantitative Economics, Vol. 8, No.1, pp. 42-54. ISSN 0971-1554.
- Naz, L., Ahmad, M. and Arif, G. M. (2018) “Estimating Food Demand System and Rural Household Welfare: A Case study from Pakistan”, Business and Economic Review, Vol. 10, No.4, pp. 55-81. ISSN 2074-1693. DOI 10.22547/BER/10.4.3.
- Negi, D. S. (2018) “The Welfare Impacts of High Food Prices: Resource Endowments and Spill-Over Effects". [Online]. Available: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-Welfare-Impacts-of-High-Food-Prices%3A-Resource-Negi/975a163362a2f9a99061ca79b6f5592d19aadefd. [Accessed: 20 Jan. 2020].
- Pangaribowo, E. H. (2010) “Food Demand Analysis of Indonesian Households: Do They Eat Better or SmoNe When They Get Richer”, International Conference on Eurasian Economies, T.C. Beykent University, Istanbul - Turkey, 4-5 November 2010.
- Poi, B. P. (2012) “Easy demand-system estimation with quaids”, The Stata Journal, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 433-446. ISSN 1536-867X. DOI 10.1177/1536867X1201200306.
- Robert, K. W., Parris, T. M. and Leiserowitz, A. A. (2005) “What is sustainable development? Goals, indicators, values, and practice”, Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 8-21. ISSN 0013-9157. DOI 10.1080/00139157.2005.10524444.
- Roosen, J., Lusk, J. L. and Fox, J. A. (2003) “Consumer demand for and attitudes toward alternative beef labeling strategies in France, Germany, and the UK”, Agribusiness: An International Journal, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 77-90. ISSN 0742-4477.
- Roy, N. D., Ratya, A., Nuhfil, H. and Wahib, M. A. (2018) "Beef Market Integration In East Nusa Tenggara of Indonesia", Russian Journal of Agricultural and Socio-Economic Sciences, Vol. 80, No. 8, pp. 380-387. ISSN 2226-1184. DOI 10.18551/rjoas.2018-08.51.
- Sa’diyah, A. A., Anindita, R., Hanani, N. and Muhaimin, A. W. (2019) “The strategic food demand for non poor rural households in Indonesia”, EurAsian Journal of BioSciences, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 2197-2202. ISSN 1307-9867.
- Schroeder, T. C., Marsh, T. L. and Mintert, J. (2000) “Beef demand determinants", Report Prepared for the Beef Board Joint Evaluation Advisory Committee.
- Tefera, N. U., Desta, M. D. and Rashid, S. (2018) “A Dynamic analysis of food demand patterns and habit effects: Panel evidence from rural households in Ethiopia”, [Online]. Available: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A-Dynamic-analysis-of-food-demand-patterns-and-from-Uregia-Desta/81708513dcc74209b9ee983d55382052281e65bc [Accessed: 25 Jan. 2020].
- Ugwumba, C. O. A. and Effiong, J. A. L. (2013) “Analysis of Household Demand for Beef in Owerri Metropolis of Imo State, Nigeria”, Journal of Chemical, Biological and Physical Sciences (JCBPS), Vol. 3, No. 2. ISSN 2249-1929.