The Evaluation of Agricultural Land Use Sustainability in the Post-Socialist Camp Countries: Methodological and Practical Aspects
No 2/2021, June
Kotykova, O. and Babych, M. (2021) "The Evaluation of Agricultural Land Use Sustainability in the Post-Socialist Camp Countries: Methodological and Practical Aspects", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 59-78. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130205.
An effective implementation of the sustainable use of agricultural land program is impossible without reliable results of the current state of the problem. In this sense, the correct selection of indicators and methods for determining the level of stability is important. The authors proposes the definition of the agricultural land use sustainability integral indicator based on three methodological approaches: the construction of the indicators system, each of them reflects some aspects of the land use sustainability at the macro level (according to the specific issues); the construction of the integral indicator for comparing the countries’ land use sustainability. According to the given methods it has been proved that agricultural land use in the countries of the post-socialist camp has a positive dynamics, but the sustainability indicators for all indicators have not achieved yet. This study was supported in part by the Erasmus SUPPA program – Jean Monnet Associations Application No 611556-EPP-1-2019-1-UA-EPPJMO-SUPPA.
Sustainability, land use, method, methodology, approaches, criteria, formulas.
- Aggarwal, P. K. (2008) “Global climate change and Indian agriculture: impacts, adaptation and mitigation”, Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 78, pp. 911-919. ISSN 0019-5022.
- Chartres, C. J. and Noble, A. (2015) “Sustainable intensification: overcoming land and water constraints on food production”, Food Security, Vol. 7, pp. 235-245. E-ISSN 1876-4525, ISSN 1876-4517. DOI 10.1007/s12571-015-0425-1.
- EEA (2005) “Agriculture and environment in EU-15 – the IRENA indicator report”, Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communitie. [Online]. Available: https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/eea_report_2005_6 [Accessed: 16 Oct. 2020]. ISBN 92-9167-779-5.
- Elbersen, B., Beaufoy, G., Jones, G., Noij, G-J., Doorn, A., Breman, B. and Hazeu, G. (2014) “Aspects of data on diverse relationships between agriculture and the environment”, Report for DG-Environment, Contract no. 07-0307/2012/633993/ETU/B1, Alterra, Wageningen, April 2014.
- FAO (1999) “Central and Eastern European Sustainable Agriculture Network”, First Workshop. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, 1999. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/3/AD238E/ad238e00.htm#Contents [Accessed: 16 Oct. 2020].
- Federal State Statistics Service of Russian Federation (2015) “Agriculture” [Online]. Available: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/en/figures/agriculture/ [Accessed: 15 Dec. 2018].
- Federal State Statistics Service of Russian Federation.(2015) “Population” [Online]. Available: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/en/figures/population/ [Accessed: 15 Dec. 2018].
- Gutierrez, T. N., Rege, S., Marvuglia, A. and Benetto, E. (2017) “Sustainable Farming Behaviours: An Agent Based Modelling and Lca Perspective”, In "Agent-Based Modeling of Sustainable Behaviors", edited by A. Alonso Betanzos, N. Sanchez Marono, O. Fontenla Romero, J. G. Polhill, T. Craig, J. Bajo and J. M. Corchado, Understanding Complex Systems Springer Complexity, pp. 187-206. Cham: Springer International Publishing Ag. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-46331-5_9.
- Hreshchuk, H. (2019) “Efficiency of Land Management Provision of Sustainable Land Use of Agricultural”, Scientific Papers-Series Management Economic Engineering in Agriculture and Rural Development, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 275-280. ISSN 2284-7995.
- Huaranca, L. L., Iribarnegaray, M. A., Albesa, F., Volante, J. N., Brannstrom, C. and Seghezzo, L. (2019) “Social Perspectives on Deforestation, Land Use Change, and Economic Development in an Expanding Agricultural Frontier in Northern Argentina”, Ecological Economics, pp. 165. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2019.106424.
- Jansen, H. G. P., Bouman, B. A. M., Schipper, R. A., Hengsdijk, H. and Nieuwenhuyse, A. (2005) “An Interdisciplinary Approach to Regional Land Use Analysis Using Gis, with Applications to the Atlantic Zone of Costa Rica”, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 87-104. E-ISSN 1574-0862. DOI 10.1111/j.0169-5150.2005.00007.x.
- Juo, A. S. R. and Wilding, L. P. (2001) "Land and civilization: An historical perspective", In "Response to land degradation" Bridges, E. M., Hannam, I. D., Oldeman, L. R., DeVries, W. T. P., Scherr, S. J., Sombatpanit, S., Eds.; Oxford and IBH Pab. Co. Pvt. Ltd.: New Delhi, 2001, pp. 13-19.
- Keenleyside, C, Beaufoy, G, Tucker, G, and Jones, G (2014) “High Nature Value farming throughout EU-27 and its financial support under the CAP”, Report prepared for DG Environment, Contract No. ENV B.1/ETU/2012/0035, Institute for European Environmental Policy, London. [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/environment/agriculture/studies.htm [Accessed: 16 Oct. 2020].
- Kotykova, O., Kuzmenko, O. and Semenchuk, I. (2019) "Sustainable agricultural land use in the post-socialist camp countries: monitoring and evaluation", Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 101-111. E-ISSN 2256-0963, ISSN 2256-0742. DOI 10.30525/2256-0742/2019-5-1-101-111.
- Krausmann, F., Erb, K. H., Gingrich, S., Haberl, H., Bondeau, A., Gaube, V., Lauk, C., Plutzar, C. and Searchinger, T. D. (2013) “Global human appropriation of net primary production doubled in the 20th century”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol. 110, pp. 10324-10329. DOI 10.1073/pnas.1211349110.
- Lacirignola, C., Capone, R., Debs, Ph., El Bilali, H. and Bottalico, F. (2014) “Natural resources-food nexus: food-related environmental footprints in the mediterranean countries”, Frontiers in Nutrition, Vol. 1, pp. 23. E-ISSN 2296-861X. DOI 10.3389/fnut.2014.00023.
- Lal, R. (2000) “Soil management in the developing countries”, Soil Science, Vol. 165, No. 1, pp. 57-72. ISSN 0038-075X. DOI 10.1097/00010694-200001000-00008.
- Lal, R. (2015) “Restoring Soil Quality to Mitigate Soil Degradation”, Sustainability, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 5875-5895. ISSN 2071-1050. DOI 10.3390/su7055875.
- Marada, P., Valtyniova, S. and F. Verner (2012) “Assessing the Sustainability of Farming on Arable Land and Its Use in the Education”, Mendelnet 2012, pp. 449-455. ISBN 978-80-7375-836-3.
- Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine (2016) “The project (the draft) of the State Target Program of the development of the agricultural sector of the economy for the period to 2020”. [Online]. Available: http://www.auu.org.ua/uk/publications/web/226/ [Accessed: 15 Dec. 2018].
- National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus (2015) “Macroeconomy and anvironment” [Online]. Available: http://www.belstat.gov.by/en/ofitsialnaya-statistika/macroeconomy-and-environment/ [Accessed: 15 Dec. 2018].
- National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus (2015) “Agriculture and forestry” [Online]. Available: http://www.belstat.gov.by/en/ofitsialnaya-statistika/real-sector-of-the-economy/selskoe-hozyaistvo/ [Accessed: 15 Dec. 2018].
- Obando, J. O. T. (2018) “Analysis of Sociocultural Indicators of Rural Development in the Santa Rita Community, Masatepe-Masaya, 2017”, Reice-Revista Electronica De Investigacion En Ciencias Economicas, Vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1-20. ISSN 2308-782X. (in Spain). DOI 10.5377/reice.v6i11.6144..
- Ongsomwang, S., and N. Iamchuen (2015) “Integration of Geospatial Models for Optimum Land Use Allocation in Three Different Scenarios”, Suranaree Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 377-396. ISSN 0858-849X.
- Petty, W. (1769) "Tracts, chiefly relating to Ireland. Containing: I. A treatise of taxes and contributions. II. Essays in political arithmetic. III. The political anatomy of Ireland. To which is prefixed his last will", Published by Dublin, printed by Boulter Grierson.
- Smith, C. S. and McDonald, G. T. (1998) “Assessing the sustainability of agriculture at the planning stage”, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 52, No. 1. pp. 15-37. ISSN 0301-4797. DOI 10.1006/jema.1997.0162.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2019) "Economic statistics / Economic activity / Agriculture, forestry and fishery. State Statistics Service of Ukraine" [Online]. Available: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/ [Accessed: 12 Feb. 2019].
- Taylor, D. F. (2001) “Employment-Based Analysis: An Alternative Methodology for Project Evaluation in Developing Regions, with an Application to Agriculture in Yucatan”, Ecological Economics, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 249-262. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/S0921-8009(00)00235-4.
- Tscharntke, T., Clough, Y., Wanger, T. C., Jackson, L., Motzke, I., Perfecto, I., Vandermeer, J. and Whitbread, A. (2012) “Global food security, biodiversity conservation and the future of agricultural intensification”, Biological Conservation, Vol. 151, No. 1., pp. 53-59. ISSN 0006-3207. DOI 10.1016/j.biocon.2012.01.068.
- Turcekova, N., Svetlanska, T., Kollar, B., Zahorsky, T. and Brno Mendel University (2015) “Assessment of Environmental Performance of Slovak Agriculture”, Proceedings Icabr 2015: X. International Conference on Applied Business Research, pp. 1069-1082. ISBN 978-80-7509-379-0.
- Word Data Center. (2019) “Global analysis of quality of life and security of life” [Online]. Available: http://wdc.org.ua/uk/services/country-profiles-visualization [Accessed: 12 Feb. 2019].