Competitiveness in Dairy Trade – the Case of EU and the Visegrad Group Countries
No 4/2019, December
Nagy, J. and Jámbor, Z. (2019) “Competitiveness in Dairy Trade – the Case of EU and the Visegrad Group Countries", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 61-74. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110406.
The European Union (EU) produces 15% of its agricultural production in the dairy industry. The article focuses on the European Union and Visegrad Group’s (VG) dairy export and analyses it with Balassa’s (Revealed Comparative Advantage, RCA) index. Our aim is to explore the foundations of EU's competitiveness and the role and opportunities of the dairy sector in VG countries. The analysis is based on EU dairy export data for the period 2000-2017. The main result of the analysis is that the most competitive countries in terms of export performance (Denmark, France, Ireland and Belgium) do not fully align with the order of the largest dairy producing and processing countries (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands) or the largest dairy exporters (Germany, the Netherlands, France and Belgium). We have discovered that some EU countries have a really strong, dominant competitive advantage. The reason for this is that the highest customer value can be achieved through the production of highly processed products, and the most competitive countries specialize in the production of one or a few of these products.
Dairy industry, revealed comparative advantage, export, competitiveness.
- Bakucs, L. Z., Fałkowski, J. and Ferto, I. (2012) “Does Farm and Processing Industry Structure Matter for Price Transmission? Some Evidence From Transition Countries: A Comparison of Dairy Sectors in Hungary and Poland”. IEHAS Discussion Papers No. MT-DP-2012/12.
- Balassa, B. (1965) “Trade Liberalization and Revealed Comparative Advantage”, The Manchester School, Vol. 33, pp. 99-123. ISSN 1463-6786. DOI 10.1111/j.1467-9957.1965.tb00050.x.
- Bojnec, S. and Ferto, I. (2014) “Export competitiveness of dairy products on global markets: The case of the European Union countries”, Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 97, No. 10, pp. 6151-6163. ISSN 1525-3198. DOI 10.3168/jds.2013-7711.
- Bristow, G. (2005) “Everyone's a ‘winner’: problematising the discourse of regional competitiveness”, Journal of Economic Geography, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 285-304. ISSN 1468-2702. DOI 10.1093/jeg/lbh063.
- Buckley, P. J., Pass, C. L. and Prescott, K. (1988) “Measures of international competitiveness: a critical survey”, Journal of Marketing Management, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 175-200. ISSN 0267-257X. DOI 10.1080/0267257X.1988.9964068.
- Budd, L. and Hirmis, A. (2004) “Conceptual framework for regional competitiveness”, Regional Studies, Vol. 38, No. 9, pp. 1015-1028. ISSN 0034-3404. DOI 10.1080/0034340042000292610.
- Čechura, L., Žáková Kroupová, Z. and Hockmann, H. (2015) "Market Power in the European Dairy Industry“, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 39-47. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2015.070404.
- Chikan, A. (2008) “National and firm competitiveness: a general research model”, Competitiveness Review, Vol. 18, No. 1-2, pp. 20-28. ISSN 1059-5422. DOI 10.1108/10595420810874583.
- Dalum, B., Laursen, K. and Villumsen, G. (1998) “Structural Change in OECD Export Specialisation Patterns: de-specialisation and 'stickiness'”, International Review of Applied Economics, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 423-443. ISSN 0269-2171. DOI 10.1080/02692179800000017.
- Domazet, T. (2012) “Regional cooperation striving for competitiveness and finance”, Ekonomika Preduzeća, Vol. 60, No. 5-6, pp. 290-300. ISSN 0353-443x. DOI 10.5937/ekopre1206290D.
- European Committee (2017) “EU agricultural outlook for the agricultural markets and income, 2017-2030”. [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/markets-and-prices/mediumterm- outlook_en [Accessed: 12 Oct. 2018].
- European Committee (2018) “Short-term Outlook for EU agricultural markets in 2018 and 2019.” [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/markets-and-prices/short-term-outlook_en [Accessed: 12 Oct. 2018].
- Eurostat (2017) [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index. php?title=Milk_and_milk_product_statistics [Accessed: 9 Jan. 2019].
- Fałkowski, J. (2012) “Vertical coordination, access to capital, and producer loyalty in the Polish dairy sector”, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 155-164. ISSN 0169-5150. DOI 10.1111/j.1574-0862.2011.00573.x.
- Gorton, M., Hubbard, C. and Ferto, I. (2013) "Theoretical background and conceptual framework", Halle: Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO), Working paper, pp. 1-48.
- Hanisch, M., Rommel, J. and Müller, M. (2013) “The cooperative yardstick revisited: panel evidence from the European dairy sectors”, Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 151-162. ISSN 1542-0485. DOI 10.1515/jafio-2013-0015.
- Hinloopen, J. and van Marrewijk, C. (2001) “On the empirical distribution of the Balassa Index”, Review of World Economics, Vol. 137, No. 1, pp. 1-35. ISSN 1610-2878. DOI 10.1007/BF02707598.
- Jansik, C. (2009) “A comparison of dairy supply chains in Finland and in the Baltic Countries”, IAMA Symposium.
- Jansik, C., Irz, X. and Kuosmanen, N. (2014) “Competitiveness of Northern European dairy chains”, [Online]. Available: https://portal.mtt.fi/portal/page/portal/mtt/mtt/julkaisut/Dairy%20chain%20 competitiveness%20MTT%202014%20final%20version.pdf [Accessed: 12 Oct. 2018].
- Kiss, J. (2007) “The impact of EU accession on the agricultural trade of the Visegrád countries”, Hungarian Statistics Review, special number 11, pp. 93-116. ISSN 0039-0690.
- Kitson, M., Martin, R. and Tyler, P. (2004) “Regional Competitiveness: An Elusive yet Key Concept?”, Regional Studies, Vol. 38, No. 9, pp. 991-999. ISSN 0034-3404. DOI 10.1080/0034340042000320816.
- Kubicova, L., Kadekova, Z. and Dobak, D. (2014) “Trends in consumption of milk and dairy products in Slovakia after EU accession”, Polityki Europejskie, Finanse i Marketing, Vol. 12, No. 61, pp. 90-97. ISSN 2081-3430.
- Laursen, K. (2015) “Revealed comparative advantage and the alternatives as measures of international specialization”, Eurasian Business Review, Vol. 5, No. 1. pp. 99-115. ISSN 2147-4281. DOI 10.1007/s40821-015-0017-1.
- Leishman, D., Menkhaus, D. J. and Whipple, G. D. (2000) “Revealed comparative advantage and the measurement of international competitiveness for wool”, Sheep & Goat Research Journal, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 58-64.
- Lemoine, R. (2016) “European dairy sector rising to all challenges”, Revue Laitière Française, No. 767, pp. 1-8.
- OECD-FAO (2018) “OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2018-2027", OECD Publishing, Paris/Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome. DOI 10.1787/agr_outlook-2018-en.
- Perekhozhuk, O., Hockmann, H., Ferto, I. and Bakucs, L. Z. (2013) “Identification of market power in the Hungarian dairy industry: A plant-level analysis”, Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 1-13. ISSN 1542-0485. DOI 10.1515/jafio-2012-0005.
- Poppe, K. J. (2008) “Regulation and competitiveness in the European dairy industry”, [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/3363/attachments/1/translations/en/renditions/ pdf [Accessed: 12 Oct. 2018].
- Porter, M.E. (1990) “Competitive advantage of nations”, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 68, No. 2, pp. 73-93. ISSN 0017-8012.
- Ricardo, D. (1817) "On the principles of political economy and taxation", New York: Macmillan, 1909.
- Salou, T., van der Werf, H. M., Levert, F., Forslund, A., Hercule, J. and Le Mouël, C. (2017) “Could EU dairy quota removal favour some dairy production systems over others? The case of French dairy production systems”, Agricultural Systems, Vol. 153, No. May 2017, pp. 1-10. ISSN 0308-521X. DOI 10.1016/j.agsy.2017.01.004.
- Saricoban, K. and Kaya, E. (2017) “Determination of the seafood export competitiveness: the comparative analysis of top ten countries having lion share from seafood export”, Journal of Business, Economics and Finance, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 112-124. ISSN 2146-7943. DOI 10.17261/Pressacademia.2017.500.
- Spicka, J. (2013) “The Competitive Environment in the Dairy Industry and its Impact on the Food Industry”, AGRIS On-Line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 89-102. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Spicka, J., Smutka, L. and Selby, R. (2015) “Recent areas of innovation activities in the Czech dairy industry”, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 61, No. 6, pp. 249-264. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/128/2014-AGRICECON.
- Tacken, G. M. L., Batowska, A., Gardebroek, C., Turi, K. N., Banse, M., Wijnands, J. H. M. and Poppe, K. (2009) “Competitiveness of the EU dairy industry”. [Online]. Available: http://edepot.wur.nl/10766 [Accessed: 12 Oct. 2018].
- Torok, A., Mizik, T. and Jambor, A. (2018) “The Competitiveness of Global Coffee Trade”, International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 1-6. ISSN 2146-4138.
- Viira, A. H., Omel, R., Värnik, R., Luik, H., Maasing, B. and Põldaru, R. (2015) “Competitiveness of the Estonian dairy sector, 1994–2014”, Journal of Agricultural Science, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 84-105. ISSN 1469-5146.
- Vollrath, T. L. (1991) “A theoretical evaluation of alternative trade intensity measures of revealed comparative advantage”, Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, Vol. 130, No. 2, pp. 263-279. ISSN 1610-2878. DOI 10.1007/BF02707986.
- Wijnands, J. H. M., Bremmers, H. J., van Der Meulen, M. and Poppe, K. J. (2008) “An economic and legal assessment of the EU food industry's competitiveness”, Agribusiness, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 417-439. ISSN 0742-4477. DOI 10.1002/agr.20167.
- World Integrated Trade Solution (WITS) database (2018) World bank. Open databases. [Online]. Available: https://wits.worldbank.org/ [Accessed: 5 Oct. 2018].
- Zdráhal, I., Chmelíková, G., Blažková, I. and Bečvářová, V. (2016) “Differences in the Performance of the Dairy Industries within the Visegrad Group Countries”, The International Scientific Conference INPROFORUM 2016, November 3-4, 2016, České Budějovice, 132-136 p.
- Zdráhal, I., Chmelíková, G. and Blažková, I. (2018) “Sector-Wide and Country-Specific Drivers of Firm Performance in the Visegrad Group Dairy Industry", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 89-100. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2018.100410.