Development of Methods Acquiring Real Time Very High Resolution Agricultural Spatial Information Using Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
No 2/2019, June
Bolo, B., Mpoeleng, D. and Zlotnikova, I. (2019) "Development of Methods Acquiring Real Time Very High Resolution Agricultural Spatial Information Using Unmanned Aerial Vehicle", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 21-29. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110203.
There is a need for high resolution spatial information to provide quality agricultural spatial information for better monitoring and management of farm activities to increase production and sustainable agricultural economic development. The Unmanned Aerial Vehicles are able to capture very high resolution spatial data that can be transformed into useful geospatial information, databases and digital maps. However, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle methods of acquiring spatial data are yet to be developed. The objective of this study was to develop methods of acquiring real time high resolution agricultural spatial data using Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. A qualitative case study research approach, and data collection method were used to achieve the objective. A ground truth data was carried out to eliminate errors. Unmanned Aerial Vehicle data acquisition system and data processing methods were developed. These methods could be used for better farm management and reduce the cost of inputs like fertilizers.
UAV, agricultural data, data acquisition, very high resolution data.
- Allen, W. (2016) "Drones detect crop stresses more effectively", ÏCT Update 'Drones for Agriculture', No 82. [Online]. Available: http://ictupdate.cta.int/2016/04/21/drones-detect-crop-stresses-more-effectively/ [Accessed: 15 Sept. 2018].
- Antle, J. M., Jones, J. W. and Rosenzweig, C. (2015) "Towards a New Generation of Agricultural System Models, Data, and Knowledge Products: Introduction". in: Towards a New Generation of Agricultural System Models, Data, and Knowledge Products, pp. 1-8. [Online]. Available: http://www.agmip.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Towards-a-New-Generation-of-Ag-Systems-Complete.pdf [Accessed: 10 Aug 2018].
- Cano, R., Horton, R., Liljegren, H and Bulanon, D. M. (2017): "Comparison of Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Performance Using Image Processing", Journal of Imaging, Vol. 3, No. 1, 4 p. ISSN 2313-433X. DOI 10.3390/jimaging3010004.
- Chao, H. Y., Cao, Y. C and Chen, Y. Q. (2010) "Autopilots for Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: A Survey", International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 36-44. E-ISSN 2005-4092, ISSN 1598-6446. DOI 10.1007/s12555-010-0105-z.
- Creswell, J. W. (2014) "Research design: qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches", 4th ed., SAGE Publications. ISBN-13 978-1452226101, ISBN-10 1452226105.
- Franklin, P., Pearlstine, L., Dewitt, B., Smith, S., Watts, A., Ifju, P. (2014) "Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) for ecological research", PLoS One, Vol. 10, No. 9.
- Garg, R. G. (2016) "Insuring Indian farmers more effectively", ÏCT Update 'Drones for agriculture`, No. 82. [Online]. Available: http://ictupdate.cta.int/2016/04/21/insuring-indian-farmers-more-effectively/ [Accessed: 15 Sept. 2018].
- Greenwood, F. (2016) "Drones on the horizon: new frontier in agricultural innovation", ICT Update 'Drones for agriculture`, No. 82. [Online]. Available: http://ictupdate.cta.int/2016/04/21/drones-on-the-horizon-new-frontier-in-agricultural-innovation/ [Accessed: 15 Sept. 2018].
- Herwitz, S. R., Johnson, L. F., Dunagan, S. E., Higgins, R. G., Sullivand, D. V. and Zheng, J. (2004) "Imaging from an unmanned aerial vehicle: agricultural surveillance and decision support", Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 49-61. ISSN 0168-1699. DOI 10.1016/j.compag.2004.02.006.
- Kahan, D. G. (2007) "Farm management extension services: a review of global experience", Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations Rome.
- Laliberte, A. A., Rango, A and Slaughter, A. (2006) "Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) for rangeland remote sensing`", In Proc. 3rd Annual Symposium research Insights in Semiarid Ecosystems RISE, USDA-ARS Walnut Gulch Experimental Watershed.
- Liaghat, S and Balasundram, K. S. (2010) "A Review: The Role of Remote Sensing in Precision Agriculture", American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 50-55, ISSN 1557-4989. DOI 10.3844/ajabssp.2010.50.55.
- Nigon, T. J., Mulla, D. J., Rosen C. J., Cohen, Y., Alchanatis V., Knight J. and Rud, R. (2015) "Hyperspectral aerial imagery for detecting nitrogen stress in two potato cultivars", Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol. 112, pp. 36-46. ISSN 0168-1699. DOI 10.1016/j.compag.2014.12.018.
- Oltmanns, S. D., Marzolff, I, Peter, K. D. and Ries, J. B. (2012) "Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) for Monitoring Soil Erosion in Morocco", Remote Sensing, Vol. 4, No. 11, pp. 3390-3416. ISSN 2072-4292. DOI 10.3390/rs4113390.
- Peña, J. M., Torres-Sánchez, J., De Castro, A. I., Kelly, M. and López-Granados, F. (2013) "Weed mapping in earlyseason maize fields using object-based analysis of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) images", PLoS One, Vol. 8, No. 10. ISSN 1932-6203. DOI 10.1371/journal.pone.0077151.
- Propeller Aero (2018) [Online]. Available: https://www.propelleraero.com/gsd-calculator/. [24 Oct 2018].
- Tahar, K. N. (2012) "A new approach on slope data acquisition using unmanned Aerial Vehicle", International Journal of Recent Research and Applied Studies , Vol. 13, No. 3. ISSN 2349-4891.
- Tellidis, I and Levin, E. (2014) "Photogrammetric Image Acquisition with Small Unmanned Aerial Systems", ASPRS 2014 Annual Conference, March 23-28, 2014.
- Yano, I. H., Alves, J. R., Santiago, W. E and Mederos, B. J. T. (2016) "Identification of weeds in sugarcane fields through images taken by UAV and Random Forest Classifier", IFAC-Papers On-Line ,Vol. 49-16, pp. 415-420. ISSN 2405-8963. DOI 10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.10.076.
- Zinke, P and Flener, C. (2013) "Experiences from the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) for River Bathymetry Modeling in Norway", 'Technoport - Sharing possibilities' conference, Trondheim, Norway, on 16-18 April 2012.
- Xiang, H and Tian, L. (2011) "Development of a low-cost agricultural remote sensing system based on an autonomous unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV)", Bio-systems Engineering, Vol. 108, No. 2, pp. 174-190. ISSN 1537-5110. DOI 10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2010.11.010.