E-Commerce Framework for Strategic Marketing of Udupi Jasmine
Darryl Jeethesh D’souza, Harisha G. Joshi
Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, No 1 /2019, March
D´souza, D. J. and Joshi, H. G. (2019) “E-Commerce Framework for Strategic Marketing of Udupi Jasmine", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 17-26. ISSN 1804-1930.DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110102.
Udupi jasmine cultivation plays an important role towards economic and social growth for the jasmine growing community-based enterprise of coastal Karnataka, India. It helps in promoting rural livelihoods, food security and poverty reduction. Due to the significant socio-economic impact of jasmine cultivation, the promotion and marketing of jasmine is inevitable for the sustenance of this community-based enterprise This study aims in developing an e-commerce framework for strategic marketing and promotion of Udupi jasmine. Study found that the benefits of e-business was nowhere applied in the existing system. As Udupi jasmine is a unique crop with a geographical indication tag (GI), regular agricultural framework cannot not be directly used. The research intents to persuade utilization of customized e-commerce framework for jasmine considering the existing crude system. This will reinforce the socio-economic growth of this communitybased enterprise as there will be a well-organized circulation of agricultural products on a larger scale.
Udupi jasmine, e-commerce, e-business, community-based enterprise, socio-economic, policy making, e-agriculture, ICT.
- Ashok, T. H. and Sarma, C. (2016) "Morphological and DNA marker-Based genetic diversity assessment and tagging QTLS controlling economic traits in jasmine (Jasminum spp.)”, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru, pp. 68. [Online]. Available: http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/ handle/10603/6118 [Accessed: 15 Oct. 2018].
- Ballantyne, P. (2002) "Collecting and Propagating Local Development Content. Synthesis and Conclusions”, International Institute for Communication and Development, Research, Report 7 (May). [Online]. Available: http://www.bibalex.org/search4dev/files/287987/ 118904.pdf [Accessed. 15 Dec. 2017].
- Chapman, R. and Slaymaker, T. (2002) "ICTs and Rural Development: Review of the Literature, Current Interventions, and Opportunities for Action”, London: Overseas Development Institute, 31 p. ISBN 0-85003-619-4.
- Dong, M. (2016) "International comparisons on business model of agriculture e-commerce between India and China”, International Conference on Industrial Economics System and Industrial Security Engineering (IEIS), pp. 1-5. ISBN 978-1-5090-1105-6. DOI 10.1109/IEIS.2016.7551881.
- Fruhling, A. L. and Digman, L. A. (2000) "The impact of electronic commerce on business-level strategies”, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 13-22. ISSN 1526-6133.
- Glendenning, C. and Ficarelli, P. (2012) "Content development and management processes of ICT initiatives in Indian agriculture”, Information Development - INF DEV, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 301-314. ISSN 0266-6669. DOI 10.1177/0266666911425193.
- Kotler, P. and Keller, L. K. (2000) “Marketing Management”, Pearson. ISBN 978-0-13-210292-6.
- Krishnamurthy, M. K., Parameshwar, N. S., Sridhar, H. P. and Mohan, E. (1995) "An analysis of farmers practice of Jasmine cultivation”, Journal of the Indian Society of Coastal Agricultural Research, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 83-85. ISSN 0972-1584.
- Leroux, N., Wortman, S. and Mathias, D. (2001) "Dominant factors impacting the development of businessto-business (B2B) e-commerce in agriculture”, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 205-218. ISSN 1096-7508. DOI 10.1016/S1096-7508(01)00075-1.
- Markelova, H. R., Meinzen D. R., Hellin, J. and Dohrn, S. (2009) "Collective action for smallholder market access”, Food Policy, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 7-14. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2008.10.001.
- Montealegre, F., Thompson, S. and Eales, J. S. (2007) "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Success of Food and Agribusiness E-Commerce Firms”, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 61-81. ISSN 1096-7508.
- Silva, D. H. (2008) "Scoping Study: ICT and Rural Livelihoods South Asia Component”, ICT for Rural Livelihoods Research Scoping Report, New Delhi: International Development Research Center, Oct 2008. [Online]. Available: http://www.bibalex.org/search4dev/ files/287987/ 118904.pdf [Accessed. 4 Feb. 2018].
- Treese, G. and Stewart, L. (2002) “Designing Systems for Internet Commerce, 2nd edition, Addison- Wesley Professional. ISBN 978-0-201-76035-4.
- Turban, E., King, D., Lee, J., and Warkentin, M. (2002) “Electronic Commerce 2002: A Managerial Perspective”, Prentice Hall, 914 p. ISBN 978-0-130-65301-7.