EU Sanctions Against the Russian Federation and Their Implications for the Foreign Trade of the Czech Republic
No 3/2023, September
Malý, M., Cvik, E. D. and MacGregor Pelikánová, R. (2023) "EU Sanctions Against the Russian Federation and Their Implications for the Foreign Trade of the Czech Republic", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 119-130. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2023.150310.
Modern European integration entails the common foreign and security policy. In February 2022, the Russian aggression against Ukraine moved the deplorable situation from 2014 to another level calling for an EU reaction via legal instruments. Based on them, ten sanctions packages have emerged with significant consequences. The aim of this paper is to analyze it, in particular the connection of these ten sanctions packages and foreign trade between the Czech Republic and the Russian Federation. This aim is achieved by addressing three sets of goals: (i) the legal analysis of EU trade policy instruments, (ii) an advanced statistical and critical analysis of the trade between Czech Republic and Russian Federation and (iii) a creation of a timeline of the application and its ramifications. This reveals interesting propositions about the impact of these sanctions packages on the Czech foreign trade and about the effectiveness of the EU´s trade policy.
EU, Russian Federation, foreign trade, invasion, restrictive measures, sanctions.
- Czech Statistical Office (2023) CZSO Public database. [Online]. Available: https://vdb.czso.cz/vdbvo2/faces/en/index.jsf?page=vystup-objekt-parametry&sp=A&skupId=2908&pvokc=&katalog=32935&pvo=VZO06-NP-A&z=T [Accessed: May 11, 2023].
- D´Adamo, I. and Lupi, G. (2021) "Sustainability and Resilience after COVID-19: A Circular Premium in the Fashion Industry", Sustainability, Vol. 13, No. 4, p. 1861. ISSN 2071-1050 DOI 10.3390/su13041861.
- Balcerzak, A., MacGregor, R. K., MacGregor Pelikánová, R., Rogalska, E. and Szostek, D. (2023) "The EU regulation of sustainable investment: The end of sustainability trade-offs?", Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 199-212. E-ISSN 2353.8821, ISSN 2353.883X DOI 10.15678/EBER.2023.110111.
- Baracani, E. (2023) "Ideational agenda-setting leadership: President von der Leyen and the EU response to the invasion of Ukraine", West European Politics, Vol. 46, No. 7, pp. 1451-1474. E-ISSN 1743-9655, ISSN 014-2382. DOI 10.1080/01402382.2023.2195759.
- Hajdukiewicz, A. and Pera, B. (2023) "Eco-innovation in the European Union: Challenges for catching-up economies", Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 145-164. E-ISSN 2353-8821 DOI 10.15678/EBER.2023.110108.
- Horská, E., Moroz, S. and Palkovič, J. (2023) "Determinants of export activities in Ukrainian regions in the preconflict and the first-stage conflict periods", Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 181-198. E-ISSN 2353-8821. DOI 10.15678/EBER.2023.110110..
- Hunder, M. (2022) "Von der Leyen: Supporting Ukraine is costly, but freedom is priceless", Reuters on 15th September 2022. [Online]. Available: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/von-der-leyensupporting-ukraine-is-costly-freedom-is-priceless-2022-09-15/ [Accessed: May 11, 2023].
- Kassim, H. (2022) "The European Commission and the COVID-19 Pandemic: A PluriInstitutional Approach", Journal of European Public Policy, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 612-634. E-ISSN 1350-1763, ISSN 1466-4429. DOI 10.1080/13501763.2022.2140821..
- Korkea-aho, E. (2015) "Legal Interpretation of EU Framework Directives: A Soft Law Approach", European Law Review, Vol. 10, No, 1, pp. 70-88. ISSN 0307-5400.
- Landecker, W. S. (1951.) "Types of integration and their measurement", American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 332-340. E-ISSN 1537-5390, ISSN 0002-9602. DOI 10.1086/220757..
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R.and MacGregor, R. K. (2020) "The EU puzzling CSR regime and the confused perception by ambassadors of luxury fashion businesses: A case study from Pařížská", Central European Business Review, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 74-108. E-ISSN 1805-4862, ISSN 1805-4854 DOI 10.18267/j.cebr.240.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. and MacGregor, R. K. (2021) "The Covid-19 As Interpretation Instrument for the Content of Corporate Social Responsibility and its Reporting in the EU”, The Lawyer Quarterly, Vol. 2, pp. 305-322. E-ISSN 1805-840X
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. and Rubáček, F. (2022) "Taxonomy for transparency in nonfinancial statements – clear duty with unclear sanction”, Danube, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 173-195. E-ISSN 1804-828 DOI 10.2478/danb-2022-0011.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R., MacGregor, R. K. and Černek, M. (2021) "New trends in codes of ethics: Czech business ethics preferences by the dawn of COVID-19", Oeconomia Copernicana, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 973-1009. E-ISSN 2353-1827, ISSN 2083-1277 DOI 10.24136/oc.2021.032.
- Machlup, F. (1977) "A History of Thought on Economic Integration". London, UK, Macmillan Press, 323 p. ISBN 0333213440 DOI 10.1007/978-1-349-03171-9.
- Müller, H. and Tömmel, I. (2022) "16 Strategic Leadership. Ursula Von Der Leyen as President of the European Commission", In H. Müller and I. Tömmel (eds.) "Women and Leadership in the European Union", Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 311-329. ISBN 9780192896216 DOI 10.1093/oso/9780192896216.003.0017.
- Petric, D. (2023) "A Reflection on the Methods of Interpretation of EU Law", ICL Journal, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 83-105. ISSN 1995-5855 DOI 10.1515/icl-2022-0022.
- Siniša, R. (2017) "Chapter 2: The subject and object in the interpretation of EU law", In: S. Bardutzky, E. Fahey (eds) "Framing the Subjects and Objects of Contemporary EU Law", pp. 31-44. ISBN 9781786435736 DOI 10.4337/9781786435743.00009.
- Večeřa, M. (2012) "The Process of Europenization of law in the context of Czech law", Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis,Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 459-464. ISSN 1211-8516 DOI 10.11118/actaun201260020459.
- Voynikov, V.V . (2022) "EU Anti-Russian Sanctions (Restrictive Measures): Compliance with International Law", Herald of Russian Academy of Sciences, Vol. 92, Suppl. 7, pp. 636-642. E-ISSN 1555-6492, ISSN 019-3316 DOI 10.1134/S1019331622130111..