Detection of Creative Accounting in Agricultural Enterprises
No 3/2023, September
Bína, D., Zelenková, M. and Rain, T. (2023) "Detection of Creative Accounting in Agricultural Enterprises", AGRIS online Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 25-34. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2023.150303.
The paper deals with the detection of creative accounting of enterprises in the agricultural sector to verify whether creative accounting is used to an increased extent by those farming enterprises that have been granted a bank loan; and then whether there is an effort to manipulate financial statements mainly in micro-small or medium and large enterprises. Four mathematical-financial models were applied to 150 accounting units with primarily agricultural activity to verify the hypotheses. Beneish M-score, Jones model, Altman Z-score and IN05 model were used. An increased risk of using creative accounting methods was identified in 28% of the investigated companies on average during the monitored period. Still, the assumption that the size of the accounting unit has a significant effect on the use of creative accounting methods was not proven. However, a higher motivation to manipulate financial statements can be expected in smaller accounting units due to their less stable financial position confirmed Altman Z-score and IN05 models. At the same time, a higher probability of using and a tendency to use creative accounting techniques were found among units that were granted a bank loan, which stems from the need to secure and maintain sufficient financing for business activities.
Agriculture, creative accounting, detection models, reporting.
- Adámiková, E. and Čorejová, T. (2021) "Creative Accounting and the Possibility of Its Detection in the Evaluation of the Company by Expert", Journal of Risk and Financial Management, Vol. 14, No. 7, p. 327. E-ISSN 1911-8074. DOI 10.3390/jrfm14070327.
- Akpanuko, E. E. and Umoren, N. J. (2018) "The influence of creative accounting on the credibility of accounting reports", Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 292- 310. ISSN 19852517. DOI 10.1108/JFRA-08-2016-0064.
- Beneish, M. D. and Vorst, P. (2020) "The Cost of Fraud Prediction Errors", SPGMI: Compustal Fundamentals. The Accounting Review. 59 p. E-ISSN 1558-7967. ISSN 0001-4826. DOI 10.2139/ssrn.3529662.
- Blanco, C. and Raurich, X. (2022) "Agricultural composition and labor productivity", Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 158. ISSN 0304-3878. DOI 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2022.102934.
- Blažek, R., Durana, P. and Valaskova, K. (2020) "Creative Accounting as an Apparatus for Reporting Profits in Agribusiness", Journal of Risk and Financial Management, Vol. 13, No. 11, Article Number 261, ISSN 1911-8074 DOI 10.3390/jrfm13110261.
- Czech Statistical Office (2021) "Registr ekonomických subjektů – otevřená data" [Online]. Available: https://www.czso.cz/csu/czso/registr-ekonomickych-subjektu-otevrena-data [Accessed: 16 Jan. 2022]. (In Czech)
- Dias, A. G. G., Cunha, J. H. D., Sales, I. C. H. and Bezerra, P. C. S. (2016) "Creative Accounting, Ethics and Earnings Management: Auditors versus Academics", Revista Administracao Em Dialogo, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 133-151. E-ISSN 2178-0080. DOI 10.20946/rad.v18i1.17161.
- Durana, P., Blažek, R., Machova, V. and Krasnan, M. (2022) "The use of Beneish M-scores to reveal creative accounting: evidence from Slovakia", Equilibrium-Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 481-510. ISSN 1689765X. DOI 10.24136/eq.2022.017.
- Gancarczyk, M., Łasak, P. and Gancarczyk, J. (2022) "The fintech transformation of banking: Governance dynamics and socio-economic outcomes in spatial contexts", Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 143-165. ISSN 2353-883X DOI 10.15678/EBER.2022.100309.
- Hirota, H. and Yunoue, H. (2021) "Fiscal rules and creative accounting: Evidence from Japanese municipalities", Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol. 63, p. 101172. ISSN 0889-1583 DOI 10.1016/j.jjie.2021.101172.
- Kliestik T., Novak Sedlackova, A., Bugaj, M. and Novak, A. (2022) "Stability of profits and earnings management in the transport sector of Visegrad countries", Oeconomia Copernicana, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 475-509. ISSN 20831277. DOI 10.24136/oc.2022.015.
- Lepetit, L. and Strobel, F. (2015) "Bank insolvency risk and Z-score measures: A refinement", Finance Research Letters, Vol. 13, pp. 214-224. ISSN 1544-6123 DOI 10.1016/j.frl.2015.01.001.
- Mare, D. S., Moreira, F. and Rossi, R. (2017) "Nonstationary Z-Score measures", European Journal of Operation Research, Vol. 260, No. 1, pp. 348-358. ISSN 0377-2217. DOI 10.1016/j.ejor.2016.12.001.
- Marjański, A. and Sułkowski, Ł. (2021) "Consolidation strategies of small family firms in Poland during the covid-19 crisis", Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 167-182. ISSN 2353-883X. DOI 10.15678/EBER.2021.090211.
- Popescu, V. A., Popescu, G. N., Roman, C. and Popescu, C. R. (2009) "From Creative Accounting to the Moral and Financial Crisis", Metalurgia International, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp. 141-149. ISSN 1582-2214.
- Remenaric, B., Kenfelja, I. and Mijoc, I. (2018) "Creative Accounting – Motives, Techniques and Possibilities of Prevention", Ekonomski Vjesnik, Vol. 31, No.1, pp. 193-199. ISSN 0353-359X.
- Sanhueza, R. H. and Parada, F. M. (2017) "A Perspective on the Creative Accounting Phenomenon form IFRS and IPSAS", Revista Perspectiva Empresarial, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 85-94. E-ISSN 2389-8194. DOI 10.16967/rpe.v4n1a6.
- Stawasz-Grabowska, E. (2020) "Sovereign Credit Rating Determinants of the EU Countries: The Role of the Euro Area Crisis and Its Legacy", Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 47-69. ISSN 2353-883X DOI 10.15678/EBER.2020.080203.
- Toušek, Z., Hinke, J., Malinská, B. and Prokop, M. (2021) "The Performance Determinants of Trading Companies: A Stakeholder Perspective", Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 152-170. ISSN 1804-171X DOI 10.7441/joc.2021.02.09.
- Zborková, J. and Hinke, J. (2011) "Analysis of the Current Harmonization Process for Financial Reporting Standards in the European Union and its Progress", 17th International Business Information Management Association Conference, Italy: Milan, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 1895-1903. ISBN 978-0-9821489-6-9.