The Impact of the Price Factor on Farmers' Incomes in Turbulent Conditions
No 3/2023, September
Belinska, S., Bielik, P. and Belinska, Y. (2023) "The Impact of the Price Factor on Farmers' Incomes in Turbulent Conditions", AGRIS online Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 15-24. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2023.150302.
Farmers face various types of risks that affect their behavioural strategies and well-being. In 2022, the main problem was the rapid and uncontrolled acceleration of inflation in the markets of raw materials, energy and food products. Farmers have faced price volatility in food, raw materials and energy. The purpose of the article was to analyse the impact of the price factor on farmers' incomes, including the total impact of prices on manufactured products and energy carriers. The regression-based analysis showed the negative nature of such an impact, which requires increased state support for farm income during the crisis period. As a result of the study, we proposed to reorient government support from simple subsidies to incentives for farmers to produce bioenergy from waste. This measure will increase farmers' energy independence, reduce income dependence on rising energy prices, and increase the efficiency of public spending.
Bioenergy, energy independence, energy prices, farm income, governmental support, inflation, price shocks, price volatility, the price of agricultural products.
- Abokyi, E., Strijker, D., Asiedu, K. F. and Daams, M. N. (2020) "The impact of output price support on smallholder farmers' income: evidence from maize farmers in Ghana", Heliyon, Vol. 6, No. 9, pp. 05013. ISSN 2405-8440. DOI 10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e05013.
- Assouto, A. B., Houensou, D. A. and Semedo, G. (2020) "Price risk and farmers’ decisions: A case study from Benin", Scientific African, Vol. 8, pp. 2468-2276. ISNN 2468-2276 DOI 10.1016/j.sciaf.2020.e00311.
- Ceballos, F., Hernandez, M. A., Minot, N. and Robles, M. (2017) "Grain Price and Volatility Transmission from International to Domestic Markets in Developing Countries", World Development, Vol. 94, pp. 305-320. ISSN 0305-750X DOI 10.1016/j.worlddev.2017.01.015.
- Council of the European Union (2020) "Council Conclusions on the Farm to Fork Strategy 12099/20". Brussels. [Online]. Available: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/46419/st12099- en20.pdf [Accessed: Jan. 23, 2023].
- European Commission (n.d.) "The common agricultural policy at a glance". [Online]. Available: https://agriculture.ec.europa.eu/common-agricultural-policy/cap-overview/cap-glance_en [Accessed: Jan. 23, 2023].
- European Commission (n. d.) "CAP Specific objectives : Ensuring viable farm income". [Online]. Available: https://agriculture.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2021-01/cap_specific_objectives_-_ brief_1_-_ensuring_viable_farm_income_0.pdf [Accessed: Jan.28, 2023]
- Eurostat (n.d.) "Extra-EU trade in agricultural goods". [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/ eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Extra-EU_trade_in_agricultural_goods#EU_trade_in_ agricultural_products:_surplus_of_.E2.82.AC43_billion [Accessed: Jan. 27, 2023].
- Goodkind, N. (2022) "Dow plunges more than 1,000 points in Wall Street’s worst day of the year", CNN Business. [Online]. Available: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/05/investing/dow-stockmarket-news-today/index.html [Accessed: 30 Jan. 2023].
- Hammond, J., siegal, K., Milner, D., Elimu, E., Vail, T., Cathala, P., Gatera, A., Karim, A., Lee, J.-E., Douxchamps, S., Tu, M. T., Ouma, E., Lukuyu, B., Lutakome, P., Leitner, S., Wanyama, I., Thi, T. P., Phuc, P. T. H., Herrero, M. and van Wijk, M. (2022) "Perceived effects of COVID-19 restrictions on smallholder farmers: Evidence from seven lower- and middle-income countries", Agricultural Systems, Vol. 198, p.103367. ISSN 0308-521X. DOI 10.1016/j.agsy.2022.103367.
- Jouf, C. and Lawson, L. A. (2022) "European farmers’ responses to higher commodity prices: Cropland expansion or forestlands preservation?", Ecological Economics, Vol. 191, p. 107243. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2021.107243.
- M`Barek, R., Barreiro, H. J., Boulanger, P., Caivano, A., Ciaian P., Dudu H., Espinosa, G. M., Fellmann, T., Ferrari, E., Gomez, Y. P. S., Gorrin, G. C., Himics, M., Elouhichi, K., Perni, L. A., Philippidis, G., Salputra, G., Witzke, H. P. and Genovese, G. (2017) "Scenar 2030 - Pathways for the European agriculture and food sector beyond 2020", Publications Office of the European Union : Luxembourg. ISBN 978-92-76-16663-4 DOI 10.2760/43791.
- Mukaila, R. (2022) "Agricutural entrepreneurship among the youth: The case of youth involvement in rabbit production in Nigeria", International Entrepreneurship Review, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 35-46. E-ISSN 1939-4675, ISSN 1099-9264 DOI 10.15678/IER.2022.0801.03.
- Naruetharadhol, P., Ketkaew, Ch. and Srisathan, W. A. (2022) "Innovative price-setting approaches to high-value products: A pricing method for agribusiness farmers", Heliyon, Vol. 8, No. 9, p. 10726. ISNN 2405-8440. DOI 10.1016/j.heliyon.2022.e10726.
- OECD (2022) "Agricultural Policy Monitoring and Evaluation 2022: Reforming Agricultural Policies for Climate Change Mitigation", OECD Publishing: Paris, 652 p DOI 10.1787/7f4542bf-en.
- Rezitis, A. N. and Stavropoulos, K. S. (2008) "Supply Response and Price Volatility in the Greek Pork Industry", Proceedings from International Conference of Applied Economics (ICOAE), pp. 775-782 DOI 10.2139/ssrn.1154634.
- Serra, T. (2015) "Price volatility in Niger millet markets", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp.489-502. ISSN 0169-5150 DOI 10.1111/agec.12176.
- Shaoze, J., Min, S., Huang, J. and Waibel, H. (2021) "Falling price induced diversification strategies and rural inequality: Evidence of smallholder rubber farmers", World Development, Vol. 146, p.105604. ISSN 0305-750X DOI 10.1016/j.worlddev.2021.105604.
- World Bank Group (2022) "Commodity Markets Outlook, April 2022: The Impact of the War in Ukraine on Commodity Markets", World Bank: Washington, DC, 48 p. [Online]. Available: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/37223 [Accessed: Jan. 30, 2023].
- Yurik, S., Pushkin, N., Yurik, V., Halík, J. and Smutka, L. (2020) "Analysis of Czech Agricultural Exports to Russia Using Mirror Statistics", Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 27-46. E-ISSN 2353-8821 DOI 10.15678/EBER.2020.08020.2.