An Assessment of M-Commerce Adoption Amongst Women Fish Vendors in Coastal India Using System Dynamics Approach
No 2/2023, June
Prabhu, R., Kamath, V., D’Souza, D. J. and Joshi, H. (2023) "An Assessment of M-Commerce Adoption Amongst Women Fish Vendors In Coastal India Using System Dynamics Approach", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 83-91. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2023.150207.
The digital revolution in India has played a significant role transforming traditional organizations through adoption of mobile commerce (m-commerce) and transforming the way they do business. For the successful implementation of m-commerce, a thorough understanding of the stakeholder perspectives is always important. Hence, to summarize the issues and perspectives of the women fish vendors (WFVs) and to study the effect of crucial parameters on the implementation success of m-commerce a system dynamics (SD) approach was used. SD methodology is used to develop a simulation model to understand the m-commerce adoption rate amongst WFVs considering multiple scenarios. The research findings reveal that, word of mouth (WOM) and user experience plays a major role towards the adoption of m-commerce. However, the WFVs were sceptical about the capabilities of m-commerce and weren’t well equipped with infrastructure. This approach will enable the academicians and social entrepreneurs to formulate strategies to empower WFVs by using technology. Also, it opens a new area of simulation-based policy modelling in the fisheries retail sector.
Fisheries, m-commerce, participatory system mapping, system dynamics, policy making.
- Arquitt, S., Xu, H. and Johnstone, R. (2005) "A system dynamics analysis of boom and bust in the shrimp aquaculture industry", System Dynamics Review, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 305-324. E-ISSN 1099-1727. DOI 10.1002/sdr.313.
- Aswathy, N., Sathiadhas, R., Narayanakumar, R. and Shyam, S. S. (2011) "Marketing and utilization of marine by catch: Problems and prospects", Journal of Fisheries Economics and Development, Vol. 12 No. 2, pp. 1-8. [Online]. Available: http://eprints.cmfri.org.in/id/eprint/8974 [Accessed: April 26, 2021]
- Barlas, Y. (1996) "Formal aspects of model validity and validation in system dynamics," System Dynamics Review, Vol. 12, No. 3. pp. 183-210. E-ISSN 1099-1727 DOI 10.1002/(SICI)1099-1727(199623)12:3<183::AID-SDR103>3.0.CO;2-4.
- Forrester, J. W. (1961) "Industrial Dynamics", Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. 464 p
- Gunakar, S. and Bhatta, R. (2016) "Socioeconomic Status of Fisher-Women in Segmented Fish Markets of Coastal Karnataka," Agriculture Economics Research Review, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 253-266. E- ISSN 0974-0279. ISSN 0971-3441 DOI 10.5958/0974-0279.2016.00052.5.
- Malard-Adam, J. J., Adamowski, J. F., Rojas, M., Gálvez, J., Carrera, J., Monardes, H. and MelgarQuiñonez, H. (2015) "Use of participatory system dynamics modelling to assess the sustainability of smallholder agriculture", American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting 2015, Vol. 4, pp. 3432-3440 DOI 10.13031/aim.20152189490.
- McGlade, J. and Price, A. (1993) "Multi-disciplinary modelling: an overview and practical implications for the governance of the Gulf region", Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 27, pp. 361-375. ISSN 0025-326X DOI 10.1016/0025-326X(93)90044-K.
- Morecroft, J. D. W. and Van Der Heijden, K. A. J. M. (1992) "Modelling the oil producers - Capturing oil industry knowledge in a behavioural simulation model", European Journal Operational Research, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 102-122. E-ISSN 1872-6860, ISSN 0377-2217 DOI 10.1016/0377-2217(92)90009-X.
- Moxnes, E. (2000) "Not only the tragedy of the commons: Misperceptions of feedback and policies for sustainable development", System Dynamics Review, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 325-348. E-ISSN 1099-1727 DOI 10.1002/sdr.201.
- Moxnes, E. (2005) "Policy sensitivity analysis: Simple versus complex fishery models", System Dynamics Review, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 123-145. E-ISSN 1099-1727 DOI 10.1002/sdr.311.
- Otto, P. and Struben, J. (2004) "Gloucester Fishery: Insights from a group modeling intervention", System Dynamics Review, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 287-312. E-ISSN 1099-1727 DOI 10.1002/ sdr.299.
- Prabhu, R. and Joshi, H. G. (2018) “Determinants of Willingness to Adopt M-Commerce among Fisher Women Retailers In Karnataka, India", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 59-64. ISSN 1804-1930 DOI 10.7160/aol.2018.100406.
- Prabhu, R., Kamath, V. and Joshi, H. (2019) "An integrated dataset on current adoption practices, readiness and willingness to use m-commerce amongst women fish vendors in Karnataka state, India", Data in Brief, Vol. 24, pp. 103887. ISSN 2352-3409 DOI 10.1016/j.dib.2019.103887.
- Roy, R. and Mohapatra, P. K. J. (1999) "A method for estimating order of system dynamics delays", In Proceedings of the 17th International Conference of the System Dynamics Society and 5th Australian & New Zealand Systems Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, pp. 20-23
- Scheffran, J., BenDor, K. T. and Hannon, B. (2006) "An Exploration of Competition and Cooperation through a Multi-Agent Dynamic-Game Model of Fishery Management", The 24th International Conference of the System Dynamics Society, July 23-27, 2006 Nijmegen, The Netherlands ISBN 978-0-9745329-5-0
- Sedlacko, M., Martinuzzi, A., Røpke, I., Videira, N., Antunes, P. and Schneider, F. (2012) "Utilising Systems Thinking for Sustainable Consumption: How Participatory Systems Mapping Achieves Four Types of Insight Graphical abstract Keywords", SEE 2012 Conference Ecological Economics and Rio+20: Challenges and Contributions for a GreenEconomy, pp. 16–19. [Online]. Available: https://isecoeco.org/conferences /isee2012-versao3/pdf/767.pdf [Accessed: March 10, 2021]
- Stave, K. A., Kopainsky, B., Anteneh, M., Mengistu, A. A., Sebhat, M. Y., Aynalem, S., Tefera, B., Wassie, A., Aragaw, C., Getenet, B., Beyene, B. S., Abebe, A., Goshu, G., Tadesse, A. T. and Ayenew, M. M. (2017) "Participatory System Dynamics Mapping for Collaboration and Socioecological Integration in the Lake Tana Region", In: Social and Ecological System Dynamics Characteristics, Trends, and Integration in the Lake Tana Basin, Ethiopia", Springer International Publishing, pp. 615-630. ISBN 9783319457536 DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-45755-0_34.
- Sterman, J. D. (2002) "All models are wrong: Reflections on becoming a systems scientist", System Dynamics Review, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 501-531. E-ISSN 1099-1727. DOI 10.1002/sdr.261.
- Sushil (1993) "System Dynamics: A Practical Approach for Managerial Problems", New Age International Private Limited, 1st ed., 380 p. ISBN 10 8122404987
- Wang, W. and Cheong, F. (2005) "A framework for the system dynamics (SD) modeling of the mobile commerce market", International Congress on Modeling and Simulation. [Online] Available: https://mssanz.org.au/modsim05/papers/wang_w1.pdf [Accessed: February 12, 2021]