Consumers’ Preference and Future Consideration Toward Organic Instant Noodles: Evidence from Indonesia
No 1/2023, January
Toiba, H., Noor, A. Y. M., Rahman, M. S., Hartono, R., Asmara, R. and Retnoningsig, D. (2023) "Consumers’ Preference and Future Consideration Toward Organic Instant Noodles: Evidence from Indonesia", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 127-137. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2023.150110.
The consumption of instant noodles in Indonesia is the second highest globally. However, people are now more aware of sustainable lifestyles and the health risks of consuming food additives, so some opt for more organic choices, including instant noodles. Research on customers’ preferences in this area remains lacking, so the current study aims to fill the gap. This study also analyses the relationship between the choices and consumers’ future considerations. Discrete Choice Experiment (DCE) method was used to reveal the perception of sustainable attributes in organic instant noodles. The future considerations were measured using the Future Consequences Consideration (FCC) scale. As many as 592 respondents participated in the study, selected using the convenience sampling method. Data were analyzed using conditional logit via package support.CEs on R software. The findings show that Indonesian consumers’ preferences are primarily based on the extrinsic attributes: organic labels and packaging materials, but they also consider the health claims. They will likely prefer instant noodles with organic characteristics for future considerations. The results of this study have implications for instant noodle product development. Young consumers take up a large portion of the market, and they are now more aware of sustainability and health. The current study can inform the product development and the approach to the targeted market. To the best of the authors’ knowledge, this is the first study on consumer perception on sustainability attributes in organic instant noodles.
Consumer preference, future consideration, discrete choice experiment, organic instant noodle.
- Aday, M. S. and Yener, U. (2014) "Understanding the buying behaviour of young consumers regarding packaging attributes and labels", International Journal of Consumer Studies, Vol. 38, No. 4, ISSN 1470-6431. DOI 10.1111/ijcs.12105.
- Aizaki, H., Nakatani, T. and Sato, K. (2014) "Stated preference methods using R", CRC Press, 265 p. ISBN 9781439890479. DOI 10.1201/b17292.
- Akachukwu, S. M. (2018) "Determinants of Consumers’ Choice of Instant Noodles Brands in Nigeria", International Journal of Innovative Finance and Economics Research, Vol. 8, No. 1. ISSN 2360-896X. [Online] Available: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_ id=3830626 [Accessed: Nov. 20, 2022].
- Al-Azawi, M., Altattan, D., Ali, S. K. and AbuKhader, M. M. (2020) "Examining the use of taste enhancers in instant noodles and public perception of monosodium glutamate in Muscat, Oman", Current Nutrition & Food Science, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 198-206. ISSN 1573-4013. DOI 10.2174/1573401314666180820153837.
- Asif, M., Xuhui, W., Nasiri, A. and Ayyub, S. (2018) "Determinant factors influencing organic food purchase intention and the moderating role of awareness: A comparative analysis", Food Quality and Preference, Vol. 63, pp. 144-150. ISSN 9503293 DOI 10.1016/j.foodqual.2017.08.006.
- Bhattarai, K. (2019) "Consumers'willingness to Pay for Organic Vegetables: Empirical Evidence from Nepal", Economics & Sociology, Vol. 12 No. 3, pp. 132-146. ISSN 2306-3459. DOI 10.14254/2071-789X.2019/12-3/9.
- Blossom, R., Earth, P., Insin, N., Mishra, B., Pollice, G. and Tantayanon, S. (2021) „Assessing the Potential Global Market for Organic Instant Noodles". [Online] Available: https://bsac.chemcu.org/ wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Assessing-the-Potential-Global-Market-for-Organic-Instant-Noodles. pdf [Accessed: Nov. 20, 2022].
- Börsch-Supan, A. (2012) "Econometric analysis of discrete choice: with applications on the demand for housing in the US and West-Germany", Springer Science & Business Media, Vol. 296. ISBN 9783642456336. [Online] Available: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-642- 45633-6 [Accessed: Nov. 20, 2022].
- David, W. and Ardiansyah (2017) "Organic agriculture in Indonesia: challenges and opportunities", Organic Agriculture, Vol. 7, No. 3. ISSN 1879-4238. DOI 10.1007/s13165-016-0160-8.
- Dewi, M. S. (2016) "Instant Noodle Boom in Indonesia: A Commodity Chain Analysis Study". Research Paper, Netherland: International Institute of Social Studies". [Online] Available: https://thesis.eur.nl/pub/37266/MMulyaning_MA_2015_16_AFES.pdf [Accessed: Nov. 20, 2022].
- Dominici, A., Boncinelli, F., Gerini, F. and Marone, E. (2019) "Consumer preference for wine from hand-harvested grapes, British Food Journal, Vol 22, No 8. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-04-2019-0301.
- Farrand, C., Charlton, K., Crino, M., Santos, J., Rodriguez-Fernandez, R., Ni Mhurchu, C. and Webster, J. (2017) "Know your noodles! assessing variations in sodium content of instant noodles across countries", Nutrients, Vol. 9, No.6, p. 612. ISSN 2072-6643. DOI 10.3390/nu9060612.
- Güney, O. I. and Giraldo, L. (2019) "Consumers’ attitudes and willingness to pay for organic eggs: A discrete choice experiment study in Turkey", British Food Journal, Vol. 122, No. 2. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-04-2019-0297.
- Huh, I. S., Kim, H., Joh, H.-K., Lim, Ch. S., Kim, J. S., Kim, S. J., Kwon, O., Oh, B. and Chang, N. (2017) "Instant noodle consumption is associated with cardiometabolic risk factors among college students in Seoul", Nutrition Research and Practice, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 232-239. ISSN 1976-1457. DOI 10.4162/nrp.2018.12.2.173.
- Cha, S. S. and Wang, X.-W. (2020) "A Cross-National Study on Selection Attributes of Instant Noodle between China and Korea", Journal of Food Products Marketing, Vol. 26, No. 1., pp. 1-16. ISSN 1540-4102. DOI 10.1080/10454446.2019.1711483.
- Chakrabarti, A., Campbell, B. L. and Shonkwiler, V. (2019) "Eliciting consumer preference and willingness to pay for mushrooms: A latent class approach", Journal of Food Distribution Research, Vol. 50. pp. 46-62. ISSN 26433354. [Online] Available: https://ageconsearch.umn. edu/record/292182/files/JFDR_50.1_3_Chakrabarti.pdf [Accessed: 20 Nov. 2022].
- Charles, I. A., Ogbolosingha, A. J. and Afia, I. U. (2018) "Health risk assessment of instant noodles commonly consumed in Port Harcourt", Nigeria. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 2580-2587. ISSN 1614-7499. DOI 10.1007/s11356-017-0583-0.
- Chen, M., Wang, Y., Yin, S., Hu, W. and Han, F. (2019) "Chinese consumer trust and preferences for organic labels from different regions: Evidence from real choice experiment", British Food Journal, Vol. 121, No. 7. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-02-2018-0128.
- Chen, Y.-H., Qiu, K.-H., Liu, K. E. and Chiang, C.-Y. (2020) "Are Consumers Willing to Pay a Premium for Pure Rice Noodles? A Study of Discrete Choice Experiments in Taiwan", Sustainability, Vol. 12, No 15. ISSN 2071-1050. DOI 10.3390/su12156144.
- Chiu, T. S., Ortiz, J., Chih, W. H., Pang, L. C. and Huang, J. J. (2019) "Antecedents of consumers' citizenship behaviour towards organic foods", Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 332-349. ISSN 1479-1838 DOI 10.1002/cb.1774.
- Jin, S., Li, H. and Li, Y. (2017) "Preferences of Chinese consumers for the attributes of fresh produce portfolios in an e-commerce environment", British Food Journal, Vol. 119, No. 4. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-09-2016-0424.
- Jitrawang, P. and Krairit, D. (2019) "Factors influencing purchase intention of organic rice in Thailand", Journal of Food Products Marketing, Vol. 25, No.8, pp 805-828. ISSN 1540-4102. DOI 10.1080/10454446.2019.1679690.
- Kakadellis, S., Woods, J. and Harris, Z. M. (2021) "Friend or foe: Stakeholder attitudes towards biodegradable plastic packaging in food waste anaerobic digestion", Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 169. ISSN 1879-0658. DOI 10.1016/j.resconrec.2021.105529.
- Lago, N. C., Marcon, A., Ribeiro, J. L. D., de Medeiros, J. F., Brião, V. B. and Antoni, V. L. (2020). "Determinant attributes and the compensatory judgement rules applied by young consumers to purchase environmentally sustainable food products", Sustainable Production and Consumption, Vol. 23, pp. 256-273. ISSN 2352-5509. DOI 10.1016/j.spc.2020.06.003.
- Lancaster, K. J. (1966) "A new approach to consumer theory", Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 74, No. 2, pp 132-157. ISSN 0022-3808. DOI 10.1086/259131.
- Li, C., You, Y., Chen, D., Gu, Z., Zhang, Y., Holler, T. P., Ban, X., Hong, Y., Cheng, L. and Li, Z. (2021) "A systematic review of rice noodles: Raw material, processing method and quality improvement", Trends in Food Science & Technology, Vol. 107, pp. 389-400. ISSN 0924-2244. DOI 10.1016/j.tifs.2020.11.009.
- Li, S.-W., Chen, Z., Chen, Q.-H. and Liu, Y.-M. (2019) "Consumer confidence and consumers' preferences for infant formulas in China", Journal of Integrative Agriculture, Vol. 18, No. 8, pp. 1793-1803. ISSN 2095-3119. DOI 10.1016/S2095-3119(19)62589-X.
- Lin, J., Guo, J., Turel, O. and Liu, S. (2020) "Purchasing organic food with social commerce: An integrated food-technology consumption values perspective", International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 51. ISSN 0268-4012. DOI 10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2019.11.001.
- Mancini, P., Marchini, A. and Simeone, M. (2017) "Which are the sustainable attributes affecting the real consumption behaviour? Consumer understanding and choices", British Food Journal, Vol. 119, No. 8. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-11-2016-0574.
- Manski, C. F. (2001) "Daniel McFadden and the econometric analysis of discrete choice", The Scandinavian Journal of Economics, No. 103, Vol 2. pp 217-229. ISSN 1467-9442. DOI 10.1111/1467-9442.00241.
- Marciniak-Lukasiak, K., Zbikowska, A., Marzec, A. and Kozlowska, M. (2019) "The effect of selected additives on the oil uptake and quality parameters of fried instant noodles", Applied Sciences, Vol. 9 No. 5, pp. 936. ISSN 2076-3417. DOI 10.3390/app9050936.
- de Marchi, E., Caputo, V., Nayga Jr. R. M. and Banterle, A. (2016) "Time preferences and food choices: Evidence from a choice experiment", Food Policy, Vol. 62, pp. 99-109. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2016.05.004.
- McFadden, J. R. and Huffman, W. E. (2017) "Consumer valuation of information about food safety achieved using biotechnology: Evidence from new potato products", Food Policy, Vol. 69, pp. 82-96. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2017.03.002.
- Meas, T., Hu, W., Batte, M. T., Woods, T. A. and Ernst, S. (2015) "Substitutes or complements? Consumer preference for local and organic food attributes", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 97, No. 4, pp. 1044-1071. ISSN 1467-827. DOI 10.1093/ajae/aau108.
- Montandon, A. C. and Colli, C. (2016) "Effective nutrition labels for fast food consumers", British Food Journal, Vol. 118, No. 10. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-03-2016-0111.
- Nagy, C. J. (2018) "Influential Factors on Consumer Purchase Intentions: Cases of Instant Noodle Products in the Hungarian Market", Journal of Eastern European and Central Asian Research, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 99-107. ISSN 2328-8272. DOI 10.15549/jeecar.v5i2.244.
- Najib, M., Sumarwan, U., Septiani, S. and Fahma, F. (2021) "Application of Swot-Ahp to Develop Organic Food Marketing Strategy", Academy of Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 1-8. E-ISSN 1939-610, ISSN 1544-1458.
- Naspetti, S., Alberti, F., Mozzon, M., Zingaretti, S. and Zanoli, R. (2019) "Effect of Information on Consumer Preferences and Willingness-to-Pay for Sparkling Mock Wines", British Food Journal, Vol. 122, No. 8. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-06-2019-0469.
- Nesselhauf, L., Fleuchaus, R. and Theuvsen, L. (2019) "What about the Environment?: A ChoiceBased Conjoint Study about Wine from Fungus-Resistant Grape Varieties", International Journal of Wine Business Research, Vol. 32, No. 122, pp. 96-121. ISSN 1751-1062. DOI 10.1108/IJWBR-09-2018-0049.
- Noor, A. Y. M., Toiba, H., Setiawan, B., Muhaimin, A. W. and Kiloes, A. M. (2022) "The application of choice experiments in a study on consumer preference for agri-food products: A literature review", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 68, No. 5, pp. 189-197. E-ISSN 1805-9295. DOI 10.17221/429/2021-AGRICECON.
- Pangaribuan, Ch. H., Wijaya, D. P. E., Antari, K. Y. and Sherisa, L. (2020) "Consuming Organic Instant Noodle: Exploring Environmental Concern, Health Consciousness, And Moral Norm", International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 6912–6927. ISSN 2005-4238.
- Risius, A. and Hamm, U. (2017) "The Effect of Information on Beef Husbandry Systems on Consumers’ Preferences and Willingness to Pay", Meat Science, Vol. 124, pp. 9-14. ISSN 0309-1740. DOI 10.1016/j.meatsci.2016.10.008.
- Siderer, Y., Maquet, A. and Anklam, E. (2005) "Need for Research to Support Consumer Confidence in the Growing Organic Food Market", Trends in Food Science & Technology, Vol. 16, pp. 8, pp. 332-343. ISSN 0924-2244. DOI 10.1016/j.tifs.2005.02.001.
- Sikander, M. and Khan, M. S. (2017) "Instant Noodles: Are They Really Good for Health. A Review", Electronic Journal of Biology, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 222-227. E-ISSN 1860-3122. DOI 10.1007/s11428-017-0215-9.
- Tan, Ch. H., Chow, Z. Y., Ching, S. M., Devaraj, N. K., He, F. J, MacGregor, G. A and Chia, Z. Ch. (2019) "Salt Content of Instant Noodles in Malaysia: A Cross-Sectional Study", BMJ Open, Vol. 9, No. 4. E- ISSN 2044-6055. DOI 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-024702.
- Toiba, H., Efani, A., Rahman, M. S., Nugroho, T. W. and Retnoningsih, D. (2022) "Does the COVID-19 Pandemic Change Food Consumption and Shopping Patterns? Evidence from Indonesian Urban Households", International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 49, No. 12, pp. 18. ISSN 0306-8293. DOI 10.1108/IJSE-11-2021-0666.
- Toiba, H., Nugroho, T. W., Retnoningsih, D. and Rahman, M. S. (2020) "Food System Transformation and Its Impact on Smallholder Farmers’ Income and Food Security in Indonesia", Cogent Economics & Finance Vol 8, No. 1, p. 1854412. ISSN 2332-2039. DOI 10.1080/23322039.2020.1854412.
- Torres, M. E. S., Prasetyo, Y. T., Robielos, R. A. C., Domingo, C. V. Y. and Morada, M. C. (2019) "The Effect of Nutrition Labelling on Purchasing Decisions: A Case Study of Lucky Me! Instant Noodles in Barangay 454 and 455 Manila, Philippines", In Proceedings of the 2019 5th International Conference on Industrial and Business Engineering, ICIBE 2019, New York, NY, USA: Association for Computing Machinery, pp. 82-86. DOI 10.1145/3364335.3364374.
- Van Loo, E. J., Grebitus, C. and Roosen, J. (2019) "Explaining Attention and Choice for Origin Labeled Cheese by Means of Consumer Ethnocentrism", Food Quality and Preference, Vol. 78, p. 103716. ISSN 09503293. DOI 10.1016/j.foodqual.2019.05.016.
- Wang, E., Gao, Z., Heng, Y. and Shi, L. (2019) "Chinese Consumers’ Preferences for Food Quality Test/Measurement Indicators and Cues of Milk Powder: A Case of Zhengzhou, China", Food Policy, Vol. 89, p. 101791. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2019.101791.
- Wang, Jianhua, Jiaye Ge, and Yuting Ma. (2018). "Urban Chinese Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for Pork with Certified Labels: A Discrete Choice Experiment", Sustainability, Vol. 10, No. 3. p. 603. ISSN 2071-1050. DOI 10.3390/su10030603.
- Willer, H., Lernoud, J. and Kemper, L. (2018) "The world of organic agriculture 2018: Summary. In The world of organic agriculture. Statistics and emerging trends 2018"´, Research Institute of Organic Agriculture FiBL and IFOAM-Organics International. pp.22-31. [Online] Available: https://orgprints.org/id/eprint/34669/1/WILLER-LERNOUD-2018-final-PDF-low.pdf [Accessed: Nov. 20, 2022].
- Wongprawmas, R. and Canavari, M. (2017) "Consumers’ willingness-to-pay for food safety labels in an emerging market: The case of fresh produce in Thailand", Food Policy, Vol. 69, pp. 25-34. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2017.03.004.
- World Instant Noodle Association (2020) "Global Demand of Instant Noodles TOP 15". [Online] Available: https://instantnoodles.org/en/noodles/demand/ranking/ [Accessed: Nov. 20, 2022].