Factors Influencing the Prices of Rice, Maize and Wheat Prices in Nigeria
No 1/2023, January
Ogunmola, O. O., Verter, N. and Obayelu, A. E. (2023) "Factors Influencing the Prices of Rice, Maize and Wheat Prices in Nigeria", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 113-125. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2023.150109.
This study examines the impact of agricultural Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and imports on Nigeria’s food commodity prices using annual data from 1981 to 2018. Data obtained were analysed using the unit root test, cointegration test and Autoregressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) model to evaluate the long-run and short-run effects of the hypothesized variables on the food commodity prices. The results reveal that maize import value and exchange rate significantly affect the price of maize in the short-run. In contrast, the lagged price of maize, maize output and the past value of maize imports are the factors that influenced the current price of maize within the review period. Also, the lagged price of rice, rice output and the lagged value of rice imported in the immediate year exerted significant influences on the price of rice in Nigeria. Furthermore, the study indicates that the lagged price of wheat, the import value of wheat and the lagged wheat import value were statistically significant in influencing wheat price in Nigeria. Hence, policies for flexibility in the harmonization of exchange rate movements strengthen domestic agricultural performance.
ARDL, demand, exchange rate, food commodity price, import, supply.
- Adeoye, B., Ojapinwa, T. V. and Odekunle, L. A. (2014) "Monetary policy framework and pass-through in Nigeria: A missing ring", British Journal of Arts and Social Sciences, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 14-32. ISSN 2046-9578.
- Ajibade, T. B., Ayinde, O. E., Abdoulaye, T. and Ayinde, K. (2018) "Modelling the price of maize and its determinants in Nigeria: Error correction model approach", Albanian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 235-242.
- Brümmer, B., Korn, O., Schlüßler, K. and Jaghdani, J. T. (2016) "Volatility in oilseeds and vegetable oils markets: Drivers and spillovers", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 685-705. E-ISSN 1477-9552, ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/1477-9552.12141.
- CBN, Central Bank of Nigeria (2020) "CBN exchange rates". [Online]. Available: https://bit.ly/36l0XvH [Accessed: Dec. 23, 2020].
- Chen, D., Gummi, U. M., Lu, S. B. and Muazu, A. (2020) "Modelling the impact of oil price fluctuations on food price in high and low-income oil-exporting countries", Agricultural Economics – Czech, Vol. 66, No. 10, pp. 458-468. ISSN 0139570X. DOI 10.17221/197/2020-AGRICECON.
- Dube, A. K., Ozkan, B. and Govindasamy, R. (2018) "Analyzing the export performance of the horticultural sub-sector in Ethiopia: ARDL bound test cointegration analysis", Horticulturae, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 1-18. ISSN 2311-7524. DOI 10.3390/horticulturae4040034.
- Enghiad, A., Ufer, D. Countryman, A. M. and Thilmany, D. D. (2017) "An overview of global wheat market fundamentals in an era of climate concerns", International Journal of Agronomy, Vol. 2017, pp. 1-15. ISSN 16878159. DOI 10.1155/2017/3931897.
- Engle, R. F. and Granger, C. W. (1987) "Co-integration and error correction: representation, estimation, and testing", Econometrica, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 251-276. E-ISSN 1468-0262. DOI 10.2307/1913236.
- FAO, Food and Agriculture Organisation, (2020) "FAOSTAT database". FAO, Rome. [Online]. Available: http://bit.ly/NmQzZf [Accessed: Dec. 22, 2020].
- FAO, IFAD, UNICEF, WFP and WHO (2019) "2019 -The state of food security and nutrition in the world 2019: Safeguarding against economic slowdowns and downturns", FAO, Rome, p. 114. ISBN 9251315701.
- FAO, IFAD, UNICEF, WFP and WHO (2020) "The state of food security and nutrition in the world 2020: Transforming food systems for an affordable healthy diet", FAO, Rome, p. 130. ISBN 925132901X.
- Fasanya, I. O., Odudu, T. F. and Adekoya, O. (2018) "Oil and agricultural commodity prices in Nigeria: New evidence from asymmetry and structural breaks", International Journal of Energy Sector Management, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 377-401. ISSN 1750-6220. DOI 10.1108/IJESM-07-2018-0004.
- Gilbert, C. L. (2010) "How to understand high food prices", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 398-425. E-ISSN 1477-9552, ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2010.00248.x.
- Haile, M. G., Brockhaus, J. and Kalkuhl, M. (2016) "Short-term acreage forecasting and supply elasticities for staple food commodities in major producer countries", Agricultural and Food Economics, Vol. 4, No. 17, pp. 1-23. ISSN 2193-7532. DOI 10.1186/s40100-016-0061-x.
- Hermawan, W., Fitrawaty, F. and Maipita, I. (2017) "Factors affecting the domestic price of rice in Indonesia", JEJAK: Jurnal Ekonomi Dan Kebijakan, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 155-171. ISSN 1979-715X. DOI 10.15294/jejak.v10i1.9133.
- Johansen, S. (1991) "Estimation and hypothesis testing of cointegration vectors in Gaussian vector autoregressive models", Econometrica, Vol. 59 No. 6, pp. 1551-1580. E-ISSN 1468-0262. DOI 10.2307/2938278.
- Johansen, S. and Juselius, K. (1990) "Maximum likelihood estimation and inference on cointegration with applications to the demand for money ", Oxford Bulletin of Economic and Statistics, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 169-210. E-ISSN 1468-0084, ISSN 0305-9049. DOI 10.1111/j.1468-0084.1990.mp52002003.x.
- Lütkephol, H. (2005) "Introduction to Multiple Time Series Analysis", Springer Science & Business Media, New York, p. 534. ISBN 978-3-662-02691-5. DOI 10.1007/978-3-662-02691-5.
- Meerman, J. and Aphane, J. (2012) "Impact of High Food Prices on Nutrition", FAO Nutrition Division, Rome. [Online]. Available: https://bit.ly/3jzg6jN [Assessed: Feb. 19, 2021].
- Narayan, K. P. (2005) "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests", Applied Economics, Vol. 37, No. 17, pp. 1979-1990. ISSN 00036846. DOI 10.1080/00036840500278103.
- NBS, Nigeria Bureau of Statistics. (2020) "Annual abstract of statistics 2020". [Online]. Available: https://bit.ly/3po34Xc [Accessed: Dec. 20, 2020].
- Nkoro, E. and Uko, A. K. (2016) "Autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) cointegration technique: Application and interpretation", Journal of Statistics and Econometric Methods, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 63-91. E-ISSN 1792-6939, ISSN 1792-6602.
- Ogunmola, O. O., Obayelu, A. E. and Akinbode, S. O. (2017) "Volatility and Co movement: an Analysis of Food Commodity Prices in Nigeria", Agricultura Tropica et Subtropica, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 129-139. E-ISSN 1801-0571.
- Patel, R. (2012) "Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System", Melville House Publishing Brooklyn, New York. [Online]. Available: https://bit.ly/313x1EV [Accessed: Nov. 8, 2020].
- Pesaran, M. H., Shin, Y. and Smith, R. J. (2001) "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships", Journal of Applied Economics, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 289-326. ISSN 1514-0326. DOI 10.1002/jae.616..
- Phillips, P. C. and Hansen, B. E. (1990) "Statistical inference in instrumental variables regression with I (1) processes", The Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 99-125. E-ISSN 1467-937X, ISSN 0034-6527 DOI 10.2307/2297545.
- Robert, M., Thomas, A. and Bergez, J. E. (2016) "Processes of adaptation in farm decision-making models: A review ", Agronomy for Sustainable Development, Vol. 36, No. 64, pp. 1-15. ISSN 17730155. DOI 10.1007/s13593-016-0402-x.
- Schnepf, R. D. (2006) "Price Determination in Agricultural Commodity Markets: A primer", Library of Congress, Washington DC. [Online]. Available: https://bit.ly/3bapm9i [Accessed: Dec. 15, 2020).
- Suryad, S., Anindita, R., Setiawan, B. and Syafrial, S. (2014) "Impact of the rising rice prices on Indonesian economy", Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 71-79. E-ISSN 2222-2855, ISSN 2222-1700.
- Verter, N., Zdráhal, I., Bečvářová, V. and Grega, L. (2020) "‘Products mapping’ and trade in agrifood products between Nigeria and the EU28", Agricultural Economics – Czech, Vol. 66, No. 1, pp. 34-45. ISSN 0139570X. DOI 10.17221/145/2019-AGRICECON.
- Wang, X., Su, C., Ran, Tao, R. and Lobont, O. (2018) "When will food price bubbles burst? A review", Agricultural Economics – Czech, Vol. 64, No. 12, pp. 566-573. ISSN 0139570X DOI 10.17221/21/2018-AGRICECON.