The Impact of Subsidies on the Development of Beekeeping in the Czech Republic
No 1/2022, March
Živělová, I., Svobodová, E. and Palkovič, J. (2022) "The Impact of Subsidies on the Development of Beekeeping in the Czech Republic", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 125-134. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140110.
Given its role in landscape sustainability and health benefits, beekeeping is supported in all EU countries. The paper focuses on the assessment of the impact of beekeeping subsidies on the number of bee colonies in the Czech Republic. Subsidies in the Czech Republic are provided from national sources (state budget), from the budgets of individual regions and from EU sources. The paper presents the development of the number of bee colonies in the Czech Republic from 1990 to 2018. Until 2008, the number of bee colonies in the Czech Republic was decreasing. A significant increase occurred only in 2013. The influence of the amount of subsidy on the number of bee colonies was analysed using a panel data model and the Pearson correlation coefficient. The results show that subsidies have a significant positive influence on the number of bee colonies in Czech Republic and also in the individual regions of the Czech Republic. In terms of the specific focus of subsidies, we can observe a significant positive dependence between the number of bee colonies per beekeeper and technical support. Subsidies for the fight against varroosis are also very important.
Number of bee colonies per km2; national sources of finance; EU sources of finance; technical support; fight against varroosis.
- Aksoy, A, Ertürk, Y. E., Erdoğan, S., Eyduran, E. and Tariq, M. M. (2018) "Estimation of Honey Production in Beekeeping Enterprises from Eastern Part of Turkey through Some Data Mining Algorithms", Pakistan Journal Zoology, Vol. 50, No. 6, pp. 1999-2398. ISSN 0030-9923. DOI 10.17582/journal.pjz/2018.50.6.2199.2207.
- Borowska, A. (2016) "Changes and Evolutions of Beekeeping Sector in Poland between 2010-2015, in the Context of EU Adhesion", Problem of World Agriculture, Vol. 16 (XXXI), No. 4, pp. 74-85. ISSN 2081-6960.
- Crane, E. A. (2004) "Short history of knowledge about honey bees (Apis) up to 1800", Bee World, Vol. 85, No. 1, pp. 6-11. E-ISSN 2376-7618, ISSN 0005-772X. DOI 10.1080/0005772X.2004.11099604.
- Czech Statistical Office (2020) [Online]. Available: https://www.czso.cz/ [Acessed: 14 June 2020].
- Demircan, V., Sarica, D. and Sert, D. (2016) "Current Status and Development in Beekeeping Sector in Turkey and in The World", Lucrări Ştiinţifice, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 211-218. ISSN 1454-7414.
- Gallai, N., Salles, J. M., Settele, J. and Vaissière, B. E. (2009) "Economic valuation of the vulnerability of world agriculture confronted with pollinator decline", Ecological Economics, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 810-821. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2008.06.014.
- Geldmann, J. and Gonzáles-Varo, J. P. (2018) "Conserving honey bees does not help wildlife", Science, Vol. 359, No. 6374, pp. 392-393. ISSN 1095-9203. DOI 10.1126/science.aar2269.
- Genersch, E., Von Der Ohe, W., Kaatz, H., Schroeder, A., Otten, C., Büchler, R., Berg, S., Ritter, W., Mühlen, W., Gisder, S., Meixner, M., Liebig, G. and Rosenkranz, P. (2010) "The German bee monitoring project: A long term study to understand periodically high winter losses of honey bee colonies", Apidologie, Vol. 41, pp. 332-352. E- ISSN 1297-9678, ISSN 0044-8435. DOI 10.1051/apido/2010014.
- Goodrich, B. K. (2019) "Do more bees imply higher fees? Honey bee colony strength as a determinant of almond pollination fees", Food Policy, Vol. 83, pp. 150-160. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.12.008.
- Haves, J. (2007) "Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD)", American Bee Journal, Vol. 147, No. 12, pp. 1023-1025. ISSN 0002-7626. DOI 10.32473/edis-in720-2007.
- Huang, W. F. and Solter, L. F. (2013) "Nosema apis and Nosema ceranae; A Comparative Study in the Honey Bee Host", American Bee Journal. United States, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 277-278. ISSN 0002-7626.
- Chauzat, M.-P., Cauquil, L., Roy, L., Franco, S., Hendrikx, P. and Ribière-Chabert, M. (2013) "Demographics of the European Apicultural Industry", PLoS ONE, Vol. 8, No. 11. E-ISSN 1932-6203. DOI 10.1371/journal.pone.0079018.
- Jarka, S. and Trajer, M. (2018) "Support for Beekeeping Sector in Poland and the European Union", Problem of World Agriculture, Vol. 18 (XXXIII), No. 4, pp. 183-191. ISSN 2081-6960. DOI 10.22630/PRS.2018.18.4.109.
- Karadas, K. and Kadırhanogullari, I. H. (2017) "Predicting Honey Production using Data Mining and Artificial Neural Network Algorithms in Apiculture", Pakistan Journal of Zoology, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 1611-1619. ISSN 0030-9923. DOI 10.17582/journal.pjz/2017.49.5.1611.1619.
- Klein, A. M., Vaissière, B. E., Cane, J. H., Steffan-Dewenter, I., Cunnigham, S. A., Kremen, C. and Tscharntke, T. (2007) "Importance of pollinators in changing landscapes for world crops", Proceedings of the Royal Society, Vol. 274, pp. 303-313. ISSN 0962-8452. DOI 10.1098/rspb.2006.3721.
- Majewski, J. (2017) "Beekeeping support in the European union countries", Scientific Papers Series Management, Economic Engineering in Agriculture and Rural Development, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 193-107. E-ISSN 2285-3952, ISSN 2284-7995.
- Ministry of Agriculture of Czech Republic (2019) "Beekeeping Statistics 2016, 2017", [Online]. Available: http://eagri.cz/public/web/mze/ [Acessed: 10 Aug 2019].
- Ministry of Agriculture of Czech Republic (2019) "Central Registry Office. Numbers of bee colonies by district 2010 – 2018".
- Oliver, R. (2010) "Sick bees", American Bee Journal, Vol. 150, No. 8, pp. 767-772. ISSN 0002-7626.
- Sert, D. and Demircan, V. (2018) "Economic Analysis of Beekeeping Farms: A Case Study of Isparta Province in Turkey", International Conference: Agriculture for Life, Life for Agriculture, Section 7, Management and Economics of Rural Areas, Book of Abstracts, p. 29, June 7 - 9, 2018, Bucharest, Romania.
- The State Agricultural Intervention Fund (2018) "Press Release 2018" [Online]. Available: https://www.szif.cz/cs [Acessed: 20 Nov 2019].
- Waring, A. and Waring, C. ( 2011) "Brilliant beekeeping", London: Flash. ISBN 9781444140071.
- Williams, I. H. (1994) "The dependence of crop production within the European Union on pollination by honey bees", Agricultural Zoology Reviews, Vol. 6, pp. 229–257. ISSN 0269-0543.