Regional Impacts of Direct Payments on Farm Productivity and Efficiency in the European Union
No 1/2022, March
Jambor, A. and Szerletics, A. (2022) "Regional Impacts of Direct Payments on Farm Productivity and Efficiency in the European Union", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 59-68. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140105.
This paper analyses the regional impacts of direct payments on the labour and land productivity of European farms. The basic assumption of the research is that direct CAP subsidies have a positive effect on productivity and efficiency. This was tested by quantitative regression-analysis models, which were based on NUTS2-level regional data from 2008-2018. The results show that direct subsidies have a negative effect on labour and productivity in agriculture, a finding that can be attributed to a number of underlying factors. The direction and magnitude of these productivity effects differ markedly between old and new Member States.
Direct payment, CAP, regional, effect, land productivity, labour productivity.
- Bakucs, L., Latruffe, L., Fertő, I. and Fogarasi, J. (2010) "The impact of EU accession on farms' technical efficiency in Hungary", Post-Communist Economies, Vol. 22, pp. 165-175. ISSN 1463-1377. DOI 10.1080/14631371003740639.
- Bojnec, Š. and Fertő, I. (2019) "Do CAP subsidies stabilise farm income in Hungary and Slovenia?", Agricultural Economics (Czech Republic), Vol. 65, pp. 103-111. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/190/2018-AGRICECON.
- Ciaian, P., Kancs, d’A. and Gomez y Paloma, S. (2015) "Income distributional effects of CAP subsidies: Micro evidence from the EU", Outlook on Agriculture, Vol. 44, pp. 19-28. ISSN 0030-7270. DOI 10.5367/oa.2015.0196.
- Cillero, M. M., Thorne, F., Wallace, M. and Breen, J. (2019) "Technology heterogeneity and policy change in farm-level efficiency analysis: an application to the Irish beef sector", European Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 193-214. ISSN 0165-1587. DOI 10.1093/erae/jby028.
- Cillero, M. M., Thorne, F., Wallace, M., Breen, J. and Hennessy, T. (2018) "The Effects of Direct Payments on Technical Efficiency of Irish Beef Farms: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp. 669-687. ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/1477-9552.12259.
- Constantin C., Luminita, C. and Vasile, A. J. (2017) "Land grabbing: A review of extent and possible consequences in Romania", Land Use Policy, Vol. 62, pp. 143-150. ISSN 0264-8377. DOI 10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.01.001.
- European Commission (2020) "The Common Agricultural Policy at a glance". [Online]. https://ec.europa.eu/info/food-farming-fisheries/key-policies/common-agricultural-policy/cap-glance_en Brussels, Belgium. [Accessed: 12 March 2021].
- Galluzzo, N. (2018) "Impact of the Common Agricultural Policy payments towards Romanian farms", Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 199-205. ISSN 1310-0351.
- Garrone, M., Emmers, D., Lee, H., Olper, A. and Swinnen, J. (2019) "Subsidies and agricultural productivity in the EU", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 50, No. 6, pp. 803-817. ISSN 0169-5150. DOI 10.1111/agec.12526.
- Kay, S. (2016) "Land grabbing and land concentration in Europe", Transnational Institute, Amsterdam, Netherlands. [Online]. https://www.tni.org/files/publication-downloads/landgrabbingeurope_a5-2.pdf [Accessed: 5 Feb. 2021].
- Kazukauskas, A., Newman, C. and Sauer, J. (2014) "The impact of decoupled subsidies on productivity in agriculture: a cross-country analysis using microdata", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 45, No. 3. pp. 327-336. ISSN 0169-5150. DOI 10.1111/agec.12068.
- Kazukauskas, A., Newman, C. and Thorne, F. S. (2010) "Analysing the Effect of Decoupling on Agricultural Production: Evidence from Irish Dairy Farms using the Olley and Pakes Approach", German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 59, pp. 144-157. ISSN 0002-1121. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.145290.
- Kilian, S., Ant n, J., Salhofer, K. and R der, N. (2012) "Impacts of 2003 CAP reform on land rental prices and capitalization", Land Use Policy, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 789-797. ISSN 0264-8377. DOI 10.1016/j.landusepol.2011.12.004.
- Klaiber, H. A., Salhofer, K. and Thompson, S. R. (2017) "Capitalisation of the SPS into Agricultural Land Rental Prices under Harmonisation of Payments", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 68, pp. 710-726. ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/1477-9552.12207.
- Latruffe, L., Bravo-Ureta, B. E., Carpentier, A., Desjeux, Y. and Moreira, V. H. (2017) "Subsidies and technical efficiency in agriculture: Evidence from European dairy farms", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 99, No. 3, pp. 783-799. ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.1093/ajae/aaw077.
- Mary, S. (2013) "Assessing the Impacts of Pillar 1 and 2 Subsidies on TFP in French Crop Farms", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 64, No.1, pp. 133-144. ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2012.00365.x.
- Marzec, J. and Pisulewski, A. (2017) "The effect of CAP subsidies on the technical efficiency of Polish dairy farms", Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 243-273. ISSN 2080-0886.
- Rizov, M., Pokrivcak, J. and Ciaian, P. (2013) "CAP subsidies and productivity of the EU farms", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 64, No. 3, pp. 537-557. ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/1477-9552.12030.
- Szerletics, . (2018) "Degressivity, capping and European farm structure: New evidence from Hungary", Studies in Agricultural Economics, Vol. 120, pp. 80-86. ISSN 1418-2106. DOI 10.7896/j.1811.
- Tangermann, S. (1998) "An Ex-post Review of the 1992 MacSharry Reform", In: Ingersent, K.A., Rayner, A.J. and Hine, R.C. (eds,) "The Reform of the Common Agricultural Policy". Palgrave Macmillan, London. ISBN 978-1-349-26103-1. DOI 10.1007/978-1-349-26101-7_2.
- World Bank Group (2018) "Thinking CAP: Supporting agricultural jobs and incomes in the EU", World Bank, Washington. [Online]. https://documents.worldbank.org/en/publication/documents-reports/documentdetail/892301518703739733/eu-regular-economic-report-thinking-cap-supporting-agricultural-jobs-and-incomes-in-the-eu [Accessed: 20 Feb. 2021].
- Zhu, X. and Demeter, M. R. (2012) "Technical efficiency and productivity differentials of dairy farms in three EU countries: the role of CAP subsidies", Agricultural Economics Review, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 66-92. ISSN 1109-2580. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.253496.
- Zhu, X. and Lansink, A. O. (2010) "Impact of CAP Subsidies on Technical Efficiency of Crop Farms in Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 61, No. 3, pp. 545-564. ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2010.00254.x.