Agribusiness Firms and Rural Dairy Development. A Case of FrieslandCampina Dairy Development Programme in Nigeria
No 1/2022, March
Amolegbe, K. B. and Adewumi, M. O. (2022) "Agribusiness Firms and Rural Dairy Development. A Case of FrieslandCampina Dairy Development Programme in Nigeria", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 3-18. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2022.140101.
Rural development interventions funded by private agribusiness firms may positively or negatively affect rural farmers' welfare. A positive effect is that such interventions may provide farmers with market access. The negative effect could be that such firms may be solely motivated by profit and may exploit the farmers. In this paper, we explore the role of FrieslandCampina Dairy Development Programme, a multinational firm with headquarters in Europe, in improving the welfare of rural dairy farmers in Nigeria. We use a two-wave panel survey of 122 programme participants and 95 non-participants. We focus on two outcome measures – annual dairy income and daily milk yield - and use a pooled ordinary least squares method to understand the programme effect. We also explore the mechanism of effect by assessing the programme effects on farmers' sustainable dairy management practices using a negative binomial regression method. Our results suggest that the programme has positive welfare effects on farmers. We attribute these effects to farmers' access to reliable markets offered by the programme and the informal business arrangement between the farmers and the agribusiness firm. Potential policy implications include that governments should encourage other private agribusiness firms to set up similar development programmes.
Dairy, Nigeria, agribusiness firms, FrieslandCampina, rural farmers.
- Arouna, A., Michler, J. and Lokossou, J. C. (2019) "Contract Farming and Rural Transformation: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Benin", NBER Working Papers 25665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. DOI 10.3386/w25665.
- Barrett, C., Bachke, M. E., Bellemare, M., Michelson, H., Narayanan, S. and Walker, T. F. (2012) "Smallholder Participation in Contract Farming: Comparative Evidence from Five Countries". World Development, Vol. 40, pp 715-730. ISSN 0305-750X. DOI 10.1016/j.worlddev.2011.09.006.
- Bayer, W. and Kapunda, L. (2006) "Dairy cattle for poverty alleviation in Southern Tanzania", At Conference on International Agricultural Research for Development, University of Bonn, 11–13 October 2006. DOI 10.2307/j.ctv16zjjh3.8.
- Bonilla, J., Mccarthy, N., Mugatha, S. M., Rai, N., Coombes, A. and Brubaker, J. (2018) "Impact evaluation of the smallholder dairy commercialisation programme in Kenya". [Online]. Available https://www.3ieimpact.org/sites/default/files/2019-01/IE73-Kenya-dairy-commercialization.pdf [Accessed 24 Feb. 2020]. DOI 10.23846/tw4IE73.
- Burke, W. J., Myers, R. J. and Jayne, T. S. (2015) "A Triple-Hurdle Model of Production and Market Participation in Kenya's Dairy Market", American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 97, pp. 1227-1246. ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.1093/ajae/aav009.
- CBN (2017) "Monthly Average Exchange Rates of the Naira(Naira Per Unit of Foreign Currency) – 2017". [Online]. Available: https://www.cbn.gov.ng/rates/exrate.asp?year=2017 [Accessed: 24 Feb. 2020].
- Edirisinghe, J. C. and Holloway, G. J. (2015) "Crossbred cow adoption and its correlates: Countable adoption specification search in Sri Lanka's small holder dairy sector", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 46, No. S1, pp. 13-28. ISSN 0169-5150. DOI 0.1111/agec.12195.
- Ekumankama, O., Ezeoha, A. and Uche, C. (2020) "The role of multinational corporations in local dairy value chain development: case of Friesland Campina WAMCO (FCW) in Nigeria", International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 55-70. ISSN 1559-2448. DOI 10.22434/IFAMR2018.0108.
- Erba, E. M. and Novakovic, A. M. (1995) "The Evolution of Milk Pricing and Government Intervention in Dairy Markets", Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management. [Online]. Available: https://ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/68878 [Accessed: 24 Feb. 2020].
- FAO (2011) "Guide to Good Dairy Farming Practice, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations". [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/3/ba0027e/ba0027e00.htm [Accessed 24 Feb. 2020].
- Gelan, A. and Muriithi, B. (2015) "Examining Returns to Scale in Smallholder Dairy Farms in East Africa", Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Vol 54, No. 3, pp. 239 - 261. ISSN 0049-8599. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.225952.
- Glover, D. J. (1984) "Contract farming and smallholder outgrower schemes in less-developed countries", World Development, Vol 12, No. 11-12, pp. 1143-1157. ISSN 0305-750X. DOI 10.1016/0305-750X(84)90008-1.
- Holloway, G., Ehui, S. and Teklu, A. (2008) "Bayes Estimates of Distance-to-Market: Transactions Costs, Cooperatives and Milk-Market Development in the Ethiopian Highlands", Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 23, pp. 683-696. ISSN 08837252. DOI 10.1002/jae.1019.
- Holloway, G., Nicholson, C., Delgado, C., Staal, S. and Ehui, S. (2000) "Agroindustrialization through institutional innovation: Transaction costs, cooperatives and milk-market development in the east-African highlands", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 279-288. ISSN 0169-5150. DOI 10.1016/S0169-5150(00)00089-X.
- Ilu, I., Frank, A. and Annatte, I. (2016) "Review of the livestock/meat and milk value chains and policy influencing them in Nigeria", Published by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the Economic Community of West African States, pp. 1-34. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/3/i5259e/i5259e.pdf [Accessed 24 February 2020].
- Knips, V. (2005) "Developing countries and the global dairy sector part I global overview", PPLPI Working Papers 23768, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Pro-Poor Livestock Policy Initiative.
- K ster, H. W. and De Wolff, J. (2012) "Dairy development programme in Nigeria baseline report: Key Findings and recommendations", Alabama: IFRC. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.23768.
- Leister, A. M., Lee, J. G. and Paarlberg, P. L. (2016) "Dynamic effects of drought on the US livestock sector", Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 459-484. E-ISSN 2372-2614, ISSN 1068-2805. DOI 10.1017/age.2016.4.
- Meemken, E.-M. and Bellemare, M. F. (2020) "Smallholder farmers and contract farming in developing countries", In Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 117, pp. 259-264. [Online]. Available: https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/117/1/259.full.pdf [Accessed: 25 Feb. 2021].
- Michael, W., Grindle, J., Nell, A. and Bachman, M. (1991) "Dairy development in sub-Saharan Africa: A study of issues and options", Africa Technical Department Series No. 135. World Bank Technical Paper, Washington, DC, pp. 27-209. [Online]. Available: http://documents1.worldbank.org/curated/en/397001468768281624/pdf/multi-page.pdf [Accessed: 20 Feb. 2020].
- Michelson, H., Boucher, S., Cheng, X., Huang, J. and Jia, X. (2017) "Connecting supermarkets and farms: The role of intermediaries in Walmart China's fresh produce supply chains", Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, Vol 33, pp. 47-59. E-ISSN 1742-1713, ISSN 1742-1705. DOI 10.1017/S174217051600051X.
- Mrode, R. A. (1988) "Lactation performance of the White Fulani cattle in southern Nigeria", Tropical Animal Health And Production, Vol. 20, pp. 149-154. ISSN 0049-4747. DOI 10.1007/BF02240083.
- Ngeleza, G. K. and Robinson, E. J. (2013) "Cartels and Rent Sharing at the Farmer–Trader Interface: Evidence from Ghana's Tomato Sector", Journal of Agricultural and Food Industrial Organization, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 15-30. ISSN 1542-0485. DOI 10.1515/jafio-2012-0011.
- Nguyen, T. P. L., Seddaiu, G. and Roggero, P. P. (2019) "Declarative or procedural knowledge? Knowledge for enhancing farmers' mitigation and adaptation behaviour to climate change", Journal of Rural Studies, Vol. 67, pp 46-56. ISSN 0743-0167. DOI 10.1016/j.jrurstud.2019.02.005.
- Setboonsarng, S. (2008) "Global partnership in poverty reduction: Contract farming and regional cooperation", ADB Institute Discussion Papers. [Online]. Available: https://www.econstor.eu/handle/10419/53517 [Accessed: 24 February 2020].
- Singh, S. (2002) "Contracting out solutions: Political economy of contract farming in the Indian Punjab", World Development, Vol. 30, No. 9, pp. 1621-1638. ISSN 0305-750X. DOI 10.1016/S0305-750X(02)00059-1.
- Stiglitz, J. E. (1989) "Markets, market failures, and development", The American Economic Review, Vol. 79, pp. 197-203. ISSN 0002-8282.
- Wooldridge, J. M. (2013) "Introductory Econometrics: A Modern Approach", 7th ed., Cengage Learning. ISBN 13 978-1-305-27010-7.
- Yahuza, M. (2001) "Smallholder dairy production and marketing constraints in Nigeria. Smallholder dairy production and marketing—Opportunities and constraints", In: Proceedings of a South–South workshop held at National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) Anand, India, 13–16 March 2001. pp. 201-214. [Online]. Available: https://cgspace.cgiar.org/bitstream/handle/10568/16607/SS_Proceeding.pdf?sequence=1 [Accessed: 24 Feb. 2020].