Analysis of Calculation Methods Currently Practised at V4 Agricultural Holdings
No 4/2021, December
Hudáková Stašová, L. (2021) “Analysis of Calculation Methods Currently Practised at V4 Agricultural Holdings", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 19-32. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130403.
This paper assesses calculation methods in the Visegrad 4 countries (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia) and, based thereon, recommends and considers activity-based costing (ABC) in the agricultural sector, while evaluating manager knowledge of ABC as an appropriate alternative to outdated, “conventional” methods of calculating costs that are used in practice. It was found that a majority of agricultural holdings in the V4 are currently using conventional cost calculation methods and the most frequent reason for their failure to incorporate ABC is low awareness among managers. Farms and agricultural holdings that have introduced ABC and utilise it to assign their costs evaluate its benefits highly positively, in particular, ABC’s more accurate identification of costs, mainly overheads; more effective cost management and the accuracy of price estimates. From this analysis and assessment, introduction of ABC is recommended for companies in order to obtain the different benefits associated with the method. Successfully implementing ABC leads to a number of advantages, especially in the inevitable decision-making agricultural holdings face about high overhead costs. From the information obtained, managers at agricultural holdings have little information, in most cases, about ABC as an appropriate alternative to the outdated “conventional” cost estimate methods practised today. It is therefore important to work on raising managers' awareness of new approaches to costing by publishing scientific articles with specific examples from practice, pointing out the advantage of the ABC method, especially with high overheads, which are almost the rule in agricultural holdings.
Activity Based Costing method, cost calculation, agricultural holdings.
- Allain, E. and Laurin, C. (2018) "Explaining implementation difficulties associated with activity-based costing through system uses“, Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 181-198. ISSN 0967-5426. DOI 10.1108/JAAR-11-2014-0120.
- Araújo, J. B. C. N., Souza, A. N., Joaquim, M. S. , Mattos, L. M. and Lustosa Jr., I. M. (2020) "Use of the activity-based costing methodology (ABC) in the cost analysis of successional agroforestry systems“, Agroforestry Systems, Vol. 94, pp. 71-80. ISSN 0167-4366. DOI 10.1007/s10457-019-00368-6.
- Arora, A. K. and Raju, M. S. S. (2018) "An analysis of activity based costing practices in selected manufacturing units in India“ Indian Journal of Finance, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 22-31. ISSN 0973-8711. DOI 10.17010/ijf/2018/v12i12/139889.
- Carli, G. and Canavari, M. (2013) "Introducing direct costing and activity based costing in a farm management system: A conceptual model“, Procedia Technology, 8, pp. 397-405. ISSN 2212-0173. DOI 10.1016/j.protcy.2013.11.052.
- Cooper, R. and Kaplan, R. S. (1988) "Measure costs right: make the right decisions“, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 66, No. 5, pp. 96-103. ISSN 0017-8012.
- Dalci, I., Tanis, V. and Kosan, L. (2010) "Customer profitability analysis with time-driven activity-based costing: A case study in a hotel“, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 609-637. ISSN 0959-6119. DOI 10.1108/09596111011053774.
- Dejnega, O. (2011) "Method time driven activity based costing-literature review“, Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 7-15. ISSN 2393-5162.
- Del-Río Sánchez, R., Cornejo, V. R., Valderrama, T. G. and Ortiz, J. S. (2019) "Design of the activities map with the ABC cost model for the university departments. (Diseño del mapa de actividades por el modelo de costes ABC para los departamentos universitarios)“, Cuadernos de Gestion, Vol.19, No. 2, pp. 159-184. E-ISSN 1988-2157, ISSN 1131-6837. DOI 10.5295/cdg.170824vr.
- Dierks, P. and Cokins, G. (2000) "The CAM-I Glossary of Activity-based Management“, CAM-I. [Online]. Available: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/295956306_The_CAM-I_glossary_of_activity-based_management_version_30 [Accessed: 04 Jun 2020].
- Elhamma, A. (2015) "The relationship between activity based costing, perceived environmental uncertainty and global performance“, International Journal of Management, Accounting and Economics, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 73-90. ISSN 2383-2126.
- Fei, Z. Y. and Isa, C. R. (2011) "The effect of Activity-Based Costing on firms performance, a study among Chinese manufacturing firms“, Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences", Vol. 5, No. 9, pp. 227-237. ISSN 1991-8178.
- Gazzarin, C. and Lips, M. (2018) "Joint-cost allocation in farm-activity cost accounting – a methodological overview and new approaches (Gemeinkostenzuteilung in der landwirtschaftlichen betriebszweigabrechnung – eine methodische übersicht und neue ansätze)“, Journal of the Austrian Society of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 27, pp. 10-15. ISSN 18151027.
- Gholami, H., Jiran, N. S., Mahmood, S., Saman, M. Z. M., Yusof, N. M., Draskovic, V. and Jovovic, R. (2019) "Application of activity-based costing in estimating the costs of manufacturing process. (Veikla Grindžiamų Išlaidų Taikymas Įvertinant Tuščiavidurio Pluošto Membranos Gamybos Išlaidas)“, Transformations in Business and Economics, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 839-860. ISSN 16484460.
- Johnson, H. T. and Kaplan, R. S. (1987) "Relevance Lost: The Rise and Fall of Management Accounting“, Harvard Business Press, 269 p., ISBN 0875841384.
- Kaplan, R. S. and Anderson, S. R. (2004) "Time-driven activity-based costing“, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 82, No. 11, pp. 131-138, ISSN 0017-8012.
- Koutouzidou, G., Vazakidis, A., Theodoridis, A. and Batzios, C. (2015) "A review of ABC methodology for agricultural sector“, CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 7th International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies in Agriculture, Food and Environment, HAICTA 2015; Kavala; Greece Vol. 1498, pp. 20-25.
- Maelah, R. and Ibrahim, D. N. (2007) "Factors Influencing Activity Based Costing (ABC) Adoption in Manufacturing Industry“, Investment Management and Financial Innovations, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 113-124. ISSN 1810-4967.
- Neto, H. F. M., Agostinho, F., Almeida, C. M. V. B., García, R. R. M. and Giannetti, B. F. (2018) "Activity-based costing using multicriteria drivers: An accounting proposal to boost companies toward sustainability“, Frontiers in Energy Research, Vol. 6, No. 36. ISSN 2296598X. DOI 10.3389/fenrg.2018.00036.
- Park, Y., Jung, S. and Jahmani, Y. (2019) "Time-Driven Activity-Based Costing Systems for Marketing Decisions“, Studies in Business and Economics, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 191-207. ISSN 2344-5416. DOI 10.2478/sbe-2019-0015.
- Perevozova, I., Mohnenko, A., Mykhailyshyn, L., Stalinska, O. and Vivchar, O. (2019) "Formation of account of reservoir expenses model“, Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal, Vol. 23, No. 2, 6 p. E-ISSN 1528-2635, ISSN 1096-3685.
- Sampaio, A. L. M., Akahoshi, W. B. and Lima, E. M. (2011) "Evaluation of the application of the method of activity-based costing (ABC) in agricultural production of grain: Crops temporary“, Custos e Agronegocio. Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 133-160. ISSN 1808-2882.
- Schulze, M., Seuring, S. and Ewering, C. (2012) "Applying activity-based costing in a supply chain environment“, International Journal of Production Economics.Vol. 135, No. 2, pp. 716-725. ISSN 0925-5273. DOI 10.1016/j.ijpe.2011.10.005.
- da Silva, F. F., de Medeiros, V. C., de Lima, D. H. S. and Lucena, E. R. F. C. V. (2019) "Processes and activities cost management: A case study in a cattle breeding company“, Custos e Agronegocio, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 87-115. ISSN 1808-2882.