Asymmetry in Price Transmission: Evidence from the Wheat-Flour Supply Chain in Russia
No 3/2021, September
Kharin, S. (2021) “Asymmetry in Price Transmission: Evidence from the Wheat-Flour Supply Chain in Russia", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 67-75. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130307.
Price volatility has serious implications for economic welfare of various agents in the grain supply chain. The paper examines asymmetric price transmission along the wheat producer-processor supply chain in Russia using log-transformed monthly prices during the period of 2000-2019. Having specified linear asymmetric vector error correction model, we exposed the long-term cumulative asymmetry in price transmission, however, the hypothesis of short-term symmetry presence failed to reject. The analysis revealed dominant position for wheat producers and wholesalers over the wheat processors. Imperfect competition and their resulting market power, as well as the existence of a huge number of illegal processors are the main causes for asymmetric price transmission on the Russian wheat market.
Price transmission, asymmetry, grain market, Russia, food.
- Akaike, H. (1973) "Information theory and an extension of the maximum likelihood principle", in Petrov, B. N. and Csaki, F. (eds), Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Information Theory, Budapest: Akademiai Kiado, pp. 267-281.
- Brümmer, B., von Cramon-Taubadel, S. and Zorya, S. (2009) "The impact of market and policy instability on price transmission between wheat and flour in Ukraine", European Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 203-230. ISSN 0165-1587. DOI 10.1093/erae/jbp021.
- Changyou, S. (2016) "Asymmetric price transmission", R package. [Online]. Available: https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/apt [Accessed: 16 Apr. 2020].
- Cinar, G. (2018) "Price volatility transmission among cereal markets. The evidences for Turkey", New Medit (Mediterranean Journal of Economics, Agriculture and Environment), Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 93-104. ISSN 2611-1128. DOI 10.30682/nm1803h.
- Dickey, D. A., Fuller, W. A. (1979) "Distribution of the estimators for autoregressive time series with a Unit Root", Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 74, pp. 427-431. ISSN 01621459. DOI 10.2307/2286348.
- Frey, G. and Manera, M. (2007) "Econometric models of asymmetric price transmission", Jour-nal of Economic surveys, Vol. 21, No.2, pp. 349-415. ISSN 14676419. DOI 10.1111/j.1467-6419.2007.00507.x.
- Granger, C. (1981) "Some Properties of Time Series Data and Their Use in Econometric Model Specification", Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 121-130. ISSN 0304-4076. DOI 10.1016/0304-4076(81)90079-8..
- Granger, C. and Lee, T. H. (1989) "Investigation of production sales and inventory relationships using multicointegration and non-symmetric error correction models", Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 4, pp. S135-S159. ISSN 08837252. DOI 10.1002/jae.3950040508.
- Gregory, A. and Hansen, B. (1996) "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regimeshifts", Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 70, pp. 99-126. ISSN 0304-4076. DOI 10.1016/0304-4076(69)41685-7.
- Haile, M. G., Kalkuhl, M., Algieri, B. and Gebreselassie S. (2017) "Price shock transmission: evidence from the wheat-bread market value chain in Ethiopia", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 769-780. ISSN 01695150. DOI 10.1111/agec.12373.
- Hassouneh, I., von Cramon-Taubadel, S., Serra, T. and Gil, J. M. (2012) "Recent developments in the econometric analysis of price transmission", TRANSFOP (Transparency of Food Pricing), Working Paper, No. 2. [Online]. Available: http://www.transfop.eu/media/universityofexeter/ businesss-chool/documents/centres/transfop/recent_developments_in_economtric_pt.pdf. [Accessed: 06 Apr. 2020].
- Hassouneh, I., Serra, T., Bojnec, S. and Gil, J.M. (2017) "Modeling price transmission and volatility spillover in the Slovenian wheat market", Applied Economics, Vol. 49, No. 41, pp. 4116-4126. ISSN 0003-6846. DOI 10.1080/00036846.2016.1276273.
- Hatemi-J, A. (2008) "Tests for cointegration with two unknown regime shifts with an application to financial market integration", Empirical Economics, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 497-505. ISSN 0377-7332. DOI 10.1007/s00181-007-0175-9.
- Hylleberg, S., Engle, R. F., Granger, C. W. J. and Yoo, B. S. (1990) "Seasonal integration and cointegration", Journal of Econometrics, No. 44, pp. 215-238. ISSN 0304-4076. DOI 10.1016/0304-4076(90)90080-D.
- Engle, R. F. and Granger, C. W. J. (1987) "Co-Integration and Error Correction: Representation, Es-timation, and Testing", Econometrica, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 251-276. ISSN 0012-9682. DOI 10.2307/1913236.
- Johansen, S. (1988) "Statistical analysis of co-integration vectors", Journal of Economic Dy-namics and Control, Vol. 12, pp. 231-254. ISSN 0165-1889. DOI 10.1016/0165-1889(88)90041-3.
- Johansen, S. (1991) "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models", Econometrica, Vol. 59, No. 6, pp. 1551-1580. ISSN 0012-9682. DOI 10.2307/2938278.
- Johansen, S. (1992) "Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend", Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, No. 54, No. 3, pp. 383-397. ISSN 0305-9049. DOI 10.1111/j.1468-0084.1992.tb00008.x.
- Johansen, S. (1995) "Likelihood-based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models", Oxford University Press. ISBN-13: 9780198774501. DOI 10.1093/0198774508.001.0001.
- Johansen, S. and Juselius, K. (1990) "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Interence on Cointegration – with Applications to the Demand for Money", Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 52, pp. 169-210. ISSN 0305-9049. DOI 10.1111/j.1468-0084.1990.mp52002003.x..
- Kwiatkowski, D., Phillips, P.B., Schmidt, P. and Shin, Y. (1992) "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root: how sure are we that economic time have a unit root?", Journal of Econometrics, No. 54, No. 1-3, pp. 159-178. ISSN 0304-4076. DOI 10.1016/0304-4076(92)90104-y.
- Liu, B., Keyzer, M., van den Boom, B. and Zikhali, P. (2012) "How connected are Chinese farmers to retail markets? New evidence of price transmission", China Economic Review, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 34-46. ISSN 1043-951X. DOI 10.1016/j.chieco.2011.07.010.
- Louw, M., Meyer, F. and Kirsten, J. (2017) "Vertical price transmission and its inflationary implications in South African food chains", Agrekon, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 110-122. ISSN 0303-1853. DOI 10.1080/03031853.2017.1313751.
- Lütkepohl, H., Saikkonen, P. and Trenkler, C. (2001) "Maximum eigenvalue versus trace tests for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process", The Econometrics Journal, Vol. 4, pp. 287-310. ISSN 1368-4221. DOI 10.1111/1368-423X.00068.
- Meyer, J. and von Cramon-Traubadel, S. (2004) "Asymmetric price transmission: A survey", Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 581-611. ISSN 14779552. DOI 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2004.tb00116.x.
- Phillips, P. C. B. and Ouliaris, S. (1990) "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration", Econometrica, No. 58, No. 1, pp. 165-193. ISSN 0012-9682. DOI 10.2307/2938339.
- Ricci, E. C., Peri, M. and Baldi, L. (2019) "The effects of agricultural price instability on vertical price transmission: A study of the wheat chain in Italy", Agriculture, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 36. ISSN 20770472. DOI 10.3390/agriculture9020036.
- Rumankova, L. (2014) "Asymmetry in price transmission of the Czech wheat agri-food chain", Agris On-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 63-71. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.167099.
- Schwarz, G. (1978) "Estimating the dimension of a model", The Annals of Statistics, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 461-464. ISSN 0090-5364. DOI 10.1214/aos/1176344136.
- Schwert, G. W. (1989) "Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation", Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, Vol. 7, pp. 147-160. ISSN 0735-0015. DOI 10.2307/1391432.
- Szőke, T., Hortay, O. and Balogh, E. (2019) "Asymmetric price transmission in the Hungarian retail electricity market", Energy Policy, Vol. 113(C). ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2019.110879.
- Usman, M. A. and Haile, M. G. (2017) "Producer to retailer price transmission in cereal markets of Ethiopia", Food Security, Vol. 9, pp. 815-829. E-ISSN 1876-4525, ISSN 1876-4517. DOI 10.1007/s12571-017-0692-0.
- Von Cramon-Taubadel, S. (1998) "Estimating asymmetric price transmission with the error correction representation: An application to the German pork market", European Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 1-18. ISSN 0165-1587. DOI 10.1093/erae/25.1.1.
- White, H. (1980) "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity", Econometrica, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 817-838. ISSN 0012-9682. DOI 10.2307/1912934.
- Wu, W., Chien, H., Sakurai, T. and Muranaka, S. (2019) "Vertical price transmission in the Nigerian cowpea market", British Food Journal, Vol. 121, No. 11, pp. 2730-2745. ISSN 0007070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-09-2018-0591.