Influence of Key Performance Indicators in Marketing on the Financial Situation of Wine Producers Using ICT
No 3/2021, September
Hennyeyová, K, Janšto, E., Šilerová, E. and Stuchlý, P. (2021) “Influence of Key Performance Indicators in Marketing on the Financial Situation of Wine Producers Using ICT", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 49-58. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130305.
Marketing is one of the key elements of the success of all companies, including the wine sector. Given the importance of wine producers for agriculture, it is important to define and monitor key performance indicators in marketing (KPIs) for a successful stay in the market and a competitive position at home and abroad. Today, the increase in competitive advantage includes mainly marketing, innovation and information and communication technologies. New digital tools and innovations have changed the way we approached data and decisions. A modernly adapted and effective strategic marketing strategy represents for wine companies an understanding mainly of their possibilities as well as the possibilities to influence the customer. This article evaluates the key performance indicators in marketing (KPI) and its relationship and impact on the financial situation of wine producers in Slovakia. The research sample includes 80 respondents. We obtained the primary data through a questionnaire, which was filled in by the leaders of wine companies. We verified the accuracy by means of descriptive statistics and multiple linear regression and Kruskall-Wallis test. We have verified the reliability of the data with the Cronbach alpha test. We have formulated scientific assumptions for in-depth analysis: hypothesis 1 – assumes that key performance indicators have a significant influence on financial situation of selected companies, hypothesis 2 – the use of ICT in marketing is statistically related to the key performance indicators. The results showed a statistically significant impact of KPIs on the financial situation of companies. We have identified significance in customer satisfaction and loyalty, brand awareness and return of investment. However, we were unable to statistically confirm the impact of other indicators (sales growth, market share, gaining new customers). We also identified significant differences in the use of ICT in marketing with key performance indicators in hiring new customers and return on investment. This research contributes positively to the importance of brand building in the eyes of customers as well as customer service, building loyalty and satisfaction, which returns to the loyal approach of customers to the repurchase of wine products and provides advice for professionals. Return on investment helps in more accurate business decisions that can be used when purchasing new equipment (technology), hiring employees, or properly assessing the profitability of marketing strategies.
Marketing, key performance indicators, ICT, loyalty, wine producers.
- Ailawadi, K. L., Lehmann, D. R. and Neslin, S. A. (2003) "Revenue premium as an outcome measure of brand equity", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 67, No. 4, pp. 1-17. ISSN 1547-7185. DOI 10.1509/jmkg.18.104.22.16888.
- An, L., Jeng, J. J., Ettl, M. and Chung, J. Y. (2004) "A system dynamics framework for sense-and-respond systems", In IEEE International Conference on E-Commerce Technology for Dynamic E-Business, pp. 6-13. ISBN 0-7695-2206-8. DOI 10.1109/cec-east.2004.11.
- Anderson, E. W. and Sullivan, M. W. (1993) "The Antecedents and Consequences of Customer Satisfaction for Firms", Marketing Science, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 125-143. ISSN 1526-548X. DOI 10.1287/mksc.12.2.125.
- Badawy, M., A. A. A. El-Aziz, Idress, M. A., Hefny, H. and Hossam, S. (2016) "A survey on exploring key performance indicators", Future Computing and Informatics Journal, Vol. 1, No. 1-2, pp. 47-52. ISSN 2314-7288. DOI 10.1016/j.fcij.2016.04.001.
- Berg, G. (2017) "Marketing Metrics: understanding market share and related metrics", March 2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/marketing-metrics-understanding-market-share-related-glen-berg/ [accessed: 16 Feb. 2021].
- Diamantini, C., Genga, L., Potena, D. and Storti, E. (2014) "A semi-automatic methodology for the design of performance monitoring systems", In SEBD, pp. 111-122. ISSN 1613-0073.
- Elshakour, H. A. M. A., Al-Sulaihi, I. A. and Al-Gahtani, K. S. (2013) "Indicators for measuring performance of building construction companies in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia", Journal of King Saud University-Engineering Sciences, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 125-134. ISSN 1018-3639. DOI 10.1016/j.jksues.2012.03.002.
- Farris, P. W., Hanssens, D. M., Lenskold, J. D. and Reibstein, D. J. (2015) "Marketing return on investment: Seeking clarity for concept and measurement", Applied Marketing Analytics, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 267-282. ISSN 2054-7552.
- Ferrel, O. C. and Hartline D. M. (2007) "Marketing strategy", Cengage Learning, 23 p., ISBN 978-0-538-46738-4.
- Gotteland, D., Shock, J. and Sarin, S. (2020) "Strategic orientations, marketing proactivity, and firm market performance", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 91, pp. 610-620. ISSN 0019-8501. DOI 10.1016/j.indmarman.2020.03.012.
- Granberg, T. A. and Munoz, A. O. (2013) "Developing key performance indicators for airports", 3rd ENRI international workshop on ATM/CNS, February 19, Singapore. [Online]. Available: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Developing-key-performance-indicators-for-airports-Granberg-Munoz/b628479ab340dba6cc838d70a9447f4876aaf8f9 [Accessed: 20 June, 2021].
- Greve, H. R. (2011) "Positional rigidity: Low performance and resource acquisition in large and small firms", Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 103-114. ISSN 1097-0266. DOI 10.1002/smj.875.
- Grønholdt, L. and Martensen, A. (2006) "Key Marketing Performance Measures", Marketing Review, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 243-252. ISSN 1472-1384. DOI 10.1362/146934706778605287.
- Hallová, M. and Hanová, M. (2019) "Information and communication technology and their influence on businesses growth in Slovakia", 3rd International Scientific Conference – EMAN 2019, - economics and management, selected papers, Belehrad: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, p. 143-148. ISSN 2683-4510. DOI 10.31410/EMAN.S.P.2019.143.
- Homburg, C. and Fürst, A. (2005) "How Organizational Complaint Handling Drives Customer Loyalty: An Analysis of the Mechanistic and the Organic Approach", The Journal of Marketing, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp. 95-114. ISSN 1547-7185. DOI 10.1509/jmkg.22.214.171.124367.
- Charter, M., Peattie K., Ottman J. and Polonsky M. J. (2006) "Marketing and sustainability", [Online]. Available: https://cfsd.org.uk/smart-know-net/links/smart-know-net.pdf [Accessed: 28 Feb. 2021].
- Jain, M. W. S. C., Haley T. G. and Voola, R. (2012) "Marketing: Planning and strategy", Cengage Learning, 1st edition, ISBN 978-0170189392.
- Khalifa, M. and Khalid, P. (2015) "Developing strategic health care key performance indicators: a case study on a tertiary care hospital", Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 63, pp. 459-466. ISSN 1877-0509. DOI 10.1016/j.procs.2015.08.368.
- Keck, I. R. and Ross, R. J. (2014) "Exploring customer specific KPI selection strategies for an adaptive time critical user interface", Proceedings of the 19th international conference On intelligent user interfaces, pp. 341-346. ISBN 978-1-4503-2184-6. DOI 10.1145/2557500.2557536.
- Krizanova, A, Lăzăroiu, G, Gajanova, L, Kliestikova, J, Nadanyiova, M. and Moravcikova, D. (2019) "The Effectiveness of Marketing Communication and Importance of Its Evaluation in an Online Environment", Sustainability, Vol. 11, No. 24. ISSN 2071-1050. DOI 10.3390/su11247016.
- Kumar, V., Rahman, Z., Kazmi, A. A. and Goyal, P. (2012) "Evolution of Sustainability as Marketing Strategy: Beginning of New Era", Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 37, pp. 482-489. ISSN 1877-0428. DOI 10.3390/su11247016.
- Meier, H., Lagemann, H., Morlock, F. and Rathmann, Ch. (2013) "Key performance indicators for assessing the planning and delivery of industrial services", Procedia CIRP, Vol. 11, pp. 99-104. ISSN 2212-8271. DOI 10.1016/j.procir.2013.07.056.
- Mintz, O., Gilbride, T. J., Lenk, P. and Currim, I. S. (2021) "The right metrics for marketing-mix decisions", International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 32-49. ISSN 0167-8116. DOI 10.1016/j.ijresmar.2020.08.003.
- Mittal, V. and Kamakura, W. A. (2001) "Satisfaction, Repurchase Intent, and Repurchase Behavior: Investigating the Moderating Effect of Customer Characteristics", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 131-142. ISSN 1547-7193. DOI 10.1509/jmkr.126.96.36.19932.
- Ning, Z., Jian-hai, W. and Jia-xin, W. (2011) "Design Study on Human-Computer Interface in Kpi-System of Enterprises", International Conference on Applied Informatics and Communication, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp. 189-195. ISSN 1865-0937. DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-23223-7_24.
- O'Sullivan, D., Abela, A.V. and Hutchinson, M. (2009) "Marketing performance measurement and firm performance: Evidence from the European high-technology sector", European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 43, No. 5/6, pp. 843-862. ISSN 0309-0566. DOI 10.1108/03090560910947070.
- Peng, W., Rose, P. C. and Sun, T. (2011) "Semi-automatic system with an iterative learning method for uncovering the leading indicators in business processes", U.S. Patent No. 8,010,589, Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. [Online]. Available: https://patents.google.com/patent/US8010589B2/en [Accessed: 2 Feb. 2021].
- Petriľák, M., Janšto, E. and Horská E. (2020) "Communication of Local farmer’s products through Facebook: The case study of Naše-Vaše", Communication Today, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 150-163. ISSN 1338-130X.
- Poláková, J., Koláčková, G. and Tichá, I. (2015) "Business model for czech agribusiness", Scientia Agriculturae Bohemica, Vol. 46, pp. 128-136. ISSN 1805-9430. DOI 10.1515/sab-2015-0027.
- Rust, R. T., Lemon, K. N. and Zeithaml, V. A. (2004) "Return on Marketing: Using Customer Equity to Focus Marketing Strategy", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 68, No. 1, pp. 109-127. ISSN 1547-7185. DOI 10.1509/jmkg.188.8.131.5230.
- Sekaran, U. and Bougie, R. (2010) "Research methods for business: A skill-building approach", 5th ed. Haddington: John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-1-119266846.
- Stefanovic, N. (2014) "Proactive supply chain performance management with predictive analytics", The Scientific World Journal, pp. 1-14. ISSN 1537-744X. DOI 10.1155/2014/528917.
- Suryadi, K. (2007) "Key performance indicators measurement model based on analytic hierarchy process and trend-comparative dimension in higher education institution", International Symposium on the Analytic Hierarchy Process (ISAHP), Vina Del Mar, Chile, 3 August. ISSN 1556-8296.
- Shaw, M. E. (1981) "Group dynamics: The psychology of small group behavior", McGraw-Hill College, ISBN 978-0-070565012.
- Šedík, P., Pocol, C. B., Horská, E. and Fiore, M. (2019) "Honey: food or medicine? A comparative study between Slovakia and Romania", British Food Journal, Vol. 121, No. 6, pp. 1281-1297. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/BFJ-12-2018-0813.
- Šimek, P., Vaněk, J. and Jarolímek, J. (2008) "Information and communication technologies and multifunctional agri-food systems in the Czech Republic", Plant, Soil and Environment, Vol. 54, No. 12, pp. 547-551. ISSN 1214-1178. DOI 10.17221/426-PSE.
- Varadarajan, P. R., Jayachandran, S., and White, J. C. (2001) "Strategic interdependence in organizations: deconglomeration and marketing strategy", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 65, No. 1, pp. 15-28. ISSN 1547-7185. DOI 10.1509/jmkg.184.108.40.20629.
- Wangenheim, F. and Bayón, T. (2004) "Satisfaction, loyalty and word of mouth within the customer base of a utility provider: Differences between stayers, switchers and referral switchers", Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 211-220. ISSN 1479-1838. DOI 10.1002/cb.135.
- Warlop, L., Ratneshwar, S. and Van Osselaer, S. M. (2005) "Distinctive brand cues and memory for product consumption experiences", International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 27-44. ISSN 0167-8116. DOI 10.1016/j.ijresmar.2004.02.001.