Assessment of Consumers Acceptance of E-Commerce to Purchase Geographical Indication Based Crop Using Technology Acceptance Model (TAM)
No 3/2021, September
D’souza, D. J., Joshi, H. G. and Prabhu, R. (2021) “Assessment of Consumers Acceptance of E-Commerce to Purchase Geographical Indication Based Crop Using Technology Acceptance Model (TAM)", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 25-33. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130303.
Diffusion of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in every aspect of life has made the applications of e-commerce a fundamental part of marketing. Hence using e-commerce to market Geographical Indication (GI) based crops is quite essential for the survival of the growers associated with such crops. Due to this significance, it is critical to assess consumers acceptance of e-commerce to purchase geographical indication-based crop. The study uses Technology Acceptance Model (TAM) to validate consumers’ willingness of using e-commerce to purchase GI crops with specific reference to Udupi jasmine. To analyse the relationships between TAM variables, Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) technique was adopted. The analysis suggests that behavioural intentions of consumers will influence them into actual e-commerce use. Behavioural intention exerts a significant positive influence on the actual e-commerce use suggests that, if provided with an e-commerce application to purchase the product online, consumers are likely to accept and use it.
Technology Acceptance Model (TAM), Structural Equation Modelling (SEM), e-commerce, Geographical Indication (GI), Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- Agarwal, R. and Prasad, J. (1997) "The Role of Innovation Characteristics and Perceived Voluntariness in the Acceptance of Information Technologies", Decision Sciences, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 557-582. E-ISSN 1540-5915. DOI 10.1046/j.1365-2575.2002.00133.x.
- Aladwani, A. M. (2002) "An empirical examination of the role of social integration in system development projects", Information Systems Journal, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 339-353. E-ISSN 1365-2575. DOI 10.1046/j.1365-2575.2002.00133.x.
- Argawal, R. and Karahanna, E. (2000) "Time Flies When You’re Having Fun: Cognitive Absorption and Beliefs about Information Technology Usage", Management Information Systems Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 665-694. ISSN 0276-7783. DOI 10.2307/3250951.
- Babin, B. J. and Babin, L. (2001) "Seeking something different? A model of schema typicality, consumer affect, purchase intentions and perceived shopping value", Journal of Business Research, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 89-96. ISSN 0148-2963. DOI 10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00095-8.
- Chuttur, M. (2009 "Overview of the Technology Acceptance Model: Origins , Developments and Future Directions", Association for Information Systems, AIS Electronic Library (AISeL), All Sprouts Content, 290. [Online]. Available: http://aisel.aisnet.org/sprouts_all/290 [Accessed: 9 Aug., 2021].
- Cooper, D. and Schindler, P. (2016) "Business Research Methods", 12th ed., McGraw-Hill Education. ISBN 978-0-07-352150-3.
- Dillon, A. and Morris, M. G. (1996) „User Acceptance of Information Technology: Theories and Models“, Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 3-32. E-ISSN 1550-8382. [Online]. Available: http://hdl.handle.net/10150/105584. [Accessed: 15 Aug., 2021].
- D’souza, D. J. and Joshi, H. G. (2019) "E-Commerce Framework for Strategic Marketing of Udupi Jasmine", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 17-26. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110102.
- D’souza, D. J. and Joshi, H. G. (2020) "Exploring the Consumers Willingness of Using E-Commerce to Purchase Geographical Indication Based Crops, a Case Study of Udupi Jasmine", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 63-69. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2020.120206.
- Gefen, D. and Straub, D. (2000) "The Relative Importance of Perceived Ease of Use in IS Adoption: A Study of E-Commerce Adoption", Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-30. E-ISSN 1536-9323. DOI 10.17705/1jais.00008.
- Ha, S. and Stoel, L. (2009) "Consumer e-shopping acceptance: Antecedents in a technology acceptance model", Journal of Business Research, Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 565-71. ISSN 0148-2963. DOI 10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.06.016.
- Hair, J. F. Jr., Black, W. B., Babin, B. J. and Anderson, R. E. (2010) "Multivariate Data Analysis", 7th ed., Pearson Education Limited. ISBN 10 0138132631, ISBN 13 978-0138132637.
- Hassan, A. Z. and Al-Alnsari, A. A. (2010) ,"Assessing Kuwaitis’ Intention to Shop Online Using TAM", Journal of Transnational Management, Vol. 15, No. 4,pp. 293-367. E-ISSN 1547-5786, ISSN 1547-5778. DOI 10.1080/15475778.2010.525493.
- Johnson, V. E. (2013) "Revised standards for statistical evidence", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol. 110, No. 48, pp. 19313-19317. E-ISSN 1091-6490, ISSN 0027-8424. DOI 10.1073/pnas.1313476110.
- Lederer, A. L., Maupin, D. J., Sena, M. P. and Zhuang, Y. (2000) ,"The technology acceptance model and the World Wide Web", Decision Support Systems, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 269-282. ISSN 0167-9236. DOI 10.1016/S0167-9236(00)00076-2.
- Lin, J. C. C. and Lu, H. (2000) "Towards an understanding of the behavioural intention to use a web site”, International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 197-208. ISSN 0167-9236. DOI 10.1016/S0268-4012(00)00005-0.
- Marsh, H. W. and Grayson, D. (1995) "Structural equation modeling: Concepts, issues, and applications”, Thousand Oaks, CA: US: Sage Publications, Inc, pp. 177-198.
- O’Cass, A. and Fenech, T. (2003) "Web retailing adoption: Exploring the nature of internet users Web retailing behaviour”, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 81-94. ISSN 0969-6989. DOI 10.1016/S0969-6989(02)00004-8.
- Schepers, J. and Wetzels, M. (2007) "A meta-analysis of the technology acceptance model: Investigating subjective norm and moderation effects", Information and Management, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 90-103. ISSN 0378-7206. DOI 10.1016/j.im.2006.10.007.
- Schumacker, R. E. and Lomax, R. G. (2010) "A Beginner’s Guide to Structural Equation Modeling", 3rd ed. Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group. ISBN 978-1-84169-890-8.
- Sekaran, U. and Bougie, R. (2016) "Research methods for business: a skill-building approach”, John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-1-119-26684-6.
- Syarifudin, G., Abbas, B. S. and Heriyati, P. (2018) "TAM Approach on E-Commerce of Aircraft Ticket Sales on Consumer Purchase Intention", 6th International Conference on Cyber and IT Service Management. DOI 10.1109/CITSM.2018.8674357.
- Yang, K. and Banamah, A. (2014) "Quota sampling as an alternative to probability sampling? An experimental study", Sociological Research Online, Vol. 19, No. 1. E-ISSN 1360-7804, ISSN 1360-7804. DOI 10.5153/sro.3199.
- Zikmund, W. G. (2003) "Business research methods", 7th ed., Mason, OH: Thomson/South-Western.