Factors Affecting Fast Food Restaurant Image in Peshawar: Moderating Role of Customer Personality Traits
No 1/2021, March
Nagy, H., Sana, S., Ahmad, W., Huseynov, R., Jan, M. F. and Bielik, P. (2021) “Factors Affecting Fast Food Restaurant Image in Peshawar: Moderating Role of Customer Personality Traits", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 1. pp. 105-119. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130108.
Relating unique identity of product with consumer buying behavior is not so straight forward. Many factors need to be studied in order to investigate this relationship. This study was conducted to see the direct effects of various marketing elements including brand name, service quality, food price and the ambient factors on customer perception about the restaurant image as well as the moderating influence of consumers’ personality traits on such relationship. Data was collected from two hundred and forty customers in six well known restaurants of Peshawar in order to examine the hypothesized relationships. The findings of the study support the hypothesized relationship between the study variables and hence all the hypotheses of the study are supported. The study findings particularly the moderating role of personality traits of restaurant customers’ in building customers’ restaurant perception is of immense importance for academicians in general and restaurant management in particular. The study also presents valuable future research directions which will further this inquiry in future.
Restaurant image, service quality, ambiance, personality traits.
- Akbar, Y. A. A. and Alaudeen, M. S. S. (2012) “Determinant of factors that influence consumer in choosing normal full-service restaurants: Case in Seri Iskandar, Perak”, South East Asian Journal of Contemporary Business, Economics and Law, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 137-145. ISSN 2289-1560.
- Alonso, A. D., O'neill, M., Liu, Y. and O'shea, M. (2013) “Factors Driving Consumer Restaurant Choice: An Exploratory Study from the Southeastern United States”, Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 45-66. ISSN 1936-8631. DOI 10.1080/19368623.2012.671562.
- Ariffin, H. F., Bibon, M. F. and Abdullah, R. P. (2011) “Restaurant’s atmospheric elements: What the customer wants”, Journal of Asian Behavioral Studies, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 33-38. E-ISSN 2514-7528. DOI 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.03.360.
- Aydin, S. and Özer, G. (2005) “The analysis of antecedents of customer loyalty in the Turkish mobile telecommunication market”, European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 39, No. 7/8, pp. 910-925. ISSN 0309-0566. DOI 10.1108/03090560510601833.
- Aziz, A. and Chok, N. (2013) “The role of Halal awareness, Halal certification, and marketing components in determining Halal purchase intention among non-Muslims in Malaysia: a structural equation modeling approach”, Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 1-23. ISSN 1528-6983. DOI 10.1080/08974438.2013.723997.
- Baldwin, W. (2018) “The restauranteurship of Hong Kong’s premium Japanese restaurant market”, International Hospitality Review, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 8-25. ISSN 2516-8142. DOI 10.1108/ihr-07-2018-0004.
- Baron, R. M. and Kenny, D. A. (1986) “The Moderator-Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research – Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182. ISSN 0022-3514. DOI 10.1037//0022-35188.8.131.523.
- Basera, C. H., Mutsikiwa, M. and Dhilwayo, K. (2013) “A comparative study on the impact of ambient factors on patronage: A case of three fast foods retail brands in Masvingo”, Journal of Arts, Science & Commerce, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 151-170. E-ISSN 2229-4686, ISSN 2231-4172.
- Chung, J. and Kim, S. (2011) “Restaurant Selection Criteria: Understanding the Roles of Restaurant Type and Customers’ Socio-demographic Characteristics”, Global Journal of Management and Business Research, Vol. 5, No. 7, pp. 70-86. ISSN 2249-4588.
- Cravy (2018) “The Restaurant Industry-A Global Perspective”, [Online]. Available: https://medium.com/@CravyHQ/the-restaurant-industry-a-global-perspective-26cea1b91701. [Accessed: Oct. 20, 2020].
- Darden, W. R., Erdem, O. and Darden, D. K. (1983) “A comparison and test of three causal models of patronage intentions”, In ‘William R. Darden and Robert F. Lusch (eds.) "Patronage behavior and retail management", New York: North-Holland. ISBN 10: 0444007040.
- Dib, H. and Alhaddad, A. (2014) “The Hierarchical Relationship Between Brand Equity Dimensions", European Scientific Journal, Vol. 10, No. 28, pp. 183-194. ISSN 1857 7431.
- Dutta, K., Parsa, H. G., Parsa, R. A. and Bujisic, M. (2014) “Change in consumer patronage and willingness to pay at different levels of service attributes in restaurants: A study from India”, Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 149-174. ISSN 1528-0098. DOI 10.1080/1528008X.2014.88953.
- Downs, E. and Haynes, B. (1984) “Examining Retail Image before and After a Repositioning Strategy”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 1-24. ISSN 1552-7824. DOI 10.1007/BF02721796.
- Duxbury, L., Haines, G. and Riding, A. (1996) “A Personality Profile of Canadian Informal Investors”, Journal of Small Business Management, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 44-57. ISSN 1540-627X.
- Eliwa, R. A. (2006) “A study of customer loyalty and the image of the fine dining restaurant”, Unpublished MSc thesis, Oklahoma State University.
- Feldman, R. S (2009) “Understanding Psychology”, 9th Edition. McGraw-Hill Higher Education. ISBN 978-0073370194.
- Fornell, C. and Larcker D. F. (1994) “Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error”, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 39-50. ISSN 1547-7193. DOI 10.2307/3151312.
- Gouk, S. Y. (2012) “Linkages between agriculture and food industry, and food processing by farmers in Korea”, Journal of Rural Development, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 103-118. ISSN 0970-3357. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.175280.
- Goyal, A. and Singh, N. P. (2007) “Consumer perception about fast food in India: an exploratory study”, British Food Journal, Vol. 109, No. 2, pp. 182-195. ISSN 0007-070X. DOI 10.1108/00070700710725536.
- Hensley, R. L. and Sulek, J. (2007) “Customer satisfaction with waits in multistage services”, Managing Service Quality, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 152-173. ISSN 0960-4529. DOI 10.1108/09604520710735173.
- Hodgkinson, G. P. (1992) “Research notes and communications development and validation of the strategic locus of control scale”, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 311-317. ISSN 1097-0266. DOI 10.1002/smj.4250130405.
- Hussain, S. M, Khan, S. and Yaqoob, F. (2013) “Determinants of Customer Satisfaction in Fast Food Industry A Study of Fast Food Restaurants Peshawar Pakistan”, Studia Commercialia Bratislavensia, Vol. 6, No. 21, pp. 56-65. ISSN 1339-3081. DOI 10.2478/stcb-2013-0002.
- James, A. E. C. and Wright, P. L (1993) “Perceived Locus of Control: occupational stress in the ambulance service”, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 3-8. ISSN 0268-3946. DOI 10.1108/02683949310040560.
- Jekanowski, M. D. (1999) “Causes and Consequences of Fast Food Sales Growth”, Food Review/ National Food Review, Vol. 22, No. 1. pp. 11-16. ISSN 0161-4274. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.266201.
- Johar, J. S. and Sirgy, M. J. (1991) “Value-expressive versus utilitarian advertising appeals: when and why to use which appeal”, Journal of Advertising, Vol. 20, pp. 23-33. ISSN 1557-7805. DOI 10.1080/00913367.1991.10673345.
- Josiam, B. and Monteiro, P. (2004) “Tandoori tastes: Perceptions of Indian restaurants in America”, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 18-26. ISSN 0959-6119. DOI 10.1108/09596110410516525.
- Keller, K. L. (1993) “Conceptualizing, measuring and managing customer-based brand equity”, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 57, No. 1., pp. 1-22. E-ISSN 15477185, ISSN 00222429. DOI 10.2307/1252054.
- Kenesei, Z. and Todd, S. (2003) “The use of price in the purchase decision”, Journal of empirical generalizations in marketing science, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 1-21. ISSN 1326-4443.
- Kim, H. Y. and Chung, J.-E. (2011) “Consumer purchase intention for organic personal care products”, Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 40-47. ISSN 0736-3761. DOI 10.1108/07363761111101930.
- Krosnick, J. A. (1990) “American’s perceptions of presidential candidates: A test of the projection hypothesis", Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 159-182. ISSN 1540-4560. DOI 10.1111/j.1540-4560.1990.tb01928.x.
- Kukanja, M. (2014) “The quality of the dining experience - a literature overview", Academica Turistica, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 47-60. ISSN 2335-4194.
- Lessig, V. P. (1973) "Consumer Store Images and Store Loyalties", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 37, No. October, pp. 72-74. ISSN 1547-7185. DOI 10.1177/002224297303700412.
- Levy, M and Weitz, B. A. (2009) "Retailing Management", 7th Edition. McGraw-Hill International Edition. ISBN 978-0073381046.
- Mattila, A. and Wirtz, J. (2001) "Congruency of Scent and Music as a Driver of In-store Evaluations and Behavior", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 77, No. 2, pp. 273-289. ISSN 0022-4359. DOI 10.1016/S0022-4359(01)00042-2.
- Mhlanga, O. and Tichaawa, T. M. (2017) "Influence of social media on customer experiences in restaurants: A South African study", Turizam, Vol. 65, No. 1, pp. 45-60. ISSN 0494-2639.
- Oh, H. (1995) "An Empirical Study of the Relationship between Restaurant Image and Customer Loyalty", unpublished dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. 25.04.2015.
- Olshavsky, R. (1985) "Perceived Quality in Consumer Decision-Making: An Integrated Theoretical Perspective", pp. 267-296. In Jacoby, J. and Olson, J. (eds.) "Perceived Quality", Lexington, MA: Lexington Books. DOI 10.1016/0167-4870(88)90021-9.
- Omar, M. W., Shaharudin, M. R., Jusoff, K. and Ali, M. N. (2011) "Understanding the Mediating Effect of Cognitive and Emotional Satisfaction on Customer Loyalty", African Journal of Business Management, Vol. 5, No. 17. ISSN 7683-7690.
- Oxenfeldt, A. (1975) "Developing a Favorable Price Quality Image", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 8-14. ISSN 0022-4359.
- Pedraja, M. and Yague, J. (2001) "What Information Do Customers Use When Choosing A Restaurant?", International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 316-318. ISSN 0959-6119. DOI 10.1108/EUM0000000005966.
- Qin, H. and Prybutok, V. R. (2009) "Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction, and Behavioral Intentions in Fast-Food Restaurants", International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 78-95. ISSN 1756-669X. DOI 10.1108/17566690910945886.
- Rehman, A., Luan, A. R., Abbas, B. S., Chandio, A. A., Hussain, I., Nabi, G., Iqbal, M. S. (2015) "Economic perspectives of major field crops of Pakistan: An empirical study", Pacific Science Review B: Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 145-158. ISSN 2405-8831. DOI 10.1016/j.psrb.2016.09.002.
- Richardson, P. S., Dick, A. S. and Jain, A. K. (1994) "Extrinsic and Intrinsic Cue Effects on Perceptions of Store Brand Quality", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, No. 3, pp. 28-30. ISSN 0309-0566. DOI 10.2307/1251914.
- Rosenbloom, B. (1981) "Store Image and Retail Marketing, Retail Marketing", New York, Random House, Inc, 127-151.
- Rotter, J. B. (1966) "Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement", Psychological Monographs, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 1-28. ISSN 0096-9753. DOI 10.1037/h0092976.
- Ryu, K. and Jang, S. S. (2008) "DINESCAPE: A Scale for Customers’ Perception of Dining Environments", Journal of Foodservice Business Research, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 2-22. ISSN 1537-8039. DOI 10.1080/15378020801926551.
- Ryu, K., Lee, H. K. and Woo, G. (2012) "The Influence of the Quality of the Physical Environment, Food, and Service on Restaurant Image, Customer Perceived Value, Customer Satisfaction, and Behavioral Intentions", International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 200-223. ISSN 0959-6119. DOI 10.1108/09596111211206141.
- Sabir, R., Ghafoor, O., Hafeez, I., Akhtar, N. and Rehman, A. (2014) "Factors affecting customers satisfaction in restaurants industry in Pakistan", International Review of Management and Business Research, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 869-876. ISSN 2306-9007.
- Shahzadi, M., Malik, S. A., Ahmad, M. and Shabbir, A. (2018) "Perceptions of fine dining restaurants in Pakistan: What influences customer satisfaction and behavioral intentions?", International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 635-655. ISSN 0265-671X. DOI 10.1108/IJQRM-07-2016-0113.
- Shaikh, A. and Zahid, A. (2018, May 09) "For the Love of Food", [Online]. Available: https://aurora.dawn.com/news/1142962 [Accessed: 14 Sept. 2020].
- Tabassum, A. and Rahman, T. (2012) "Differences in consumer attitude towards selective fast food restaurants in Bangladesh: An implication of multi-attribute model", World Review of Business Research, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 12-27. ISSN 1838-3955.
- Tichaawa, T. M. and Mhlanga, O. (2018) "Muslim Tourist Experiences and Return Intention in Hotels: A South African Study Article", Acta Universitatis Danubius, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 42-57. ISSN 2065-3891.
- Wallston, K. A. and Wallston, B. S. (1976) "Preface to issue on Health Locus of Control", Health Education Monographs, Vol. 6, No. 101-105. ISSN 0073-1455.
- Walter, U., Edvardsson, B. and Ostrom, A. (2010) "Drivers of customers’ service experiences: a study in the restaurant industry", Managing Service Quality, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 236–258. ISSN 0960-4529. DOI 10.1108/09604521011041961.
- Wang, L., Law, R., Hung, K. and Guillet, B. D. (2014) "Consumer trust in tourism and hospitality: A review of the literature", Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Vol. 21, pp. 1-9. ISSN 1447-6770. DOI 10.1016/j.jhtm.2014.01.001.
- Wang, Y., Wang, L., Xue, H. and Qu, W. (2016) "A Review of the Growth of the Fast Food Industry in China and Its Potential Impact on Obesity", International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 11-12. ISSN 1660-4601. DOI 10.3390/ijerph13111112.
- Zimmer, M. R. and Golden, L. L. (1998) "Impressions of retail Stores. A content Analysis of Consumer Images", Journal of Retailing, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 265-291. ISSN 0022-4359.