Similarity and Competition of Polish Agri-food Export with the Largest Agricultural Producers in the EU. Analysis of EU, US and China Market
No 1/2021, March
Bajan, B., Łukasiewicz, J. and Smutka, L. (2021) “Similarity and Competition of Polish Agri-food Export with the Largest Agricultural Producers in the EU. Analysis of EU, US and China Market", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 29-47. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130103.
Poland is one of the largest agricultural producers within European Union (EU). Since joining EU in 2004, Poland has significantly increased its agri-food trade turnover and strengthened its net exporter standing in this regard. With the understanding that countries exporting similar goods to a specific market can be considered competitors, the examination covered similarities in Poland’s export of agri-food products compared to the two largest agricultural producers in EU, namely Germany and France, in three markets: EU-28, China and United States. The agri-food export was analyzed in terms of structure, value and quality, using ComExt data. The growth of the Polish agri-food trade following the accession to the European Union, allowed the country to become a competitor to the common market’s biggest agricultural producers. Poland’s competitiveness in the US market in relation to Germany is also rising. On the other hand, looking at the Chinese market, the value of the exported agri-food products is too low to consider Poland a major competitor to Germany or France. Poland’s competitiveness in the trade of agri-food products is relatively well covered in the literature, but the studies usually focus on the issue of volume and structure or comparative advantages. The export similarity is omitted, in particular with regard to Central and Eastern European countries (CEEC) and to quality similarities issues. The study also suggests a way to identify countries similar in terms of export structure that is based on entire population results. This study fills in a certain research gap that emerged in the context of CEEC, consisting in the analysis of Poland's export in the background of EU’s largest agricultural producers.
Agri-food sector, export, structure similarity, international competitiveness.
- Abrham, J., Strielkowski, W., Vošta, M. and Šlajs, J. (2015) "Factors that influence the competitiveness of Czech rural SMEs", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 61, No. 10, pp. 450-460. E-ISSN 1805-9295, ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/63/2015-AGRICECON.
- Antimiani, A. and Henke, R. (2007) “Old and new partners: Similarity and competition in the EU foreign agri-food trade”, Acta Agriculturae Scand Section C, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 129-138. ISSN 1650-7541. DOI 10.1080/16507540701596925.
- Antimiani, A., Carbone, A., Costantini, V. and Henke, R. (2012) “Agri-food exports in the enlarged European Union”, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 58, No. 8, pp. 354-366. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/145/2011-AGRICECON.
- Anwar, S. and Sun, S. (2018) “Foreign direct investment and export quality upgrading in China's manufacturing sector”, International Review of Economics & Finance, Vol. 54, pp. 289-298. ISSN 1059-0560. DOI 10.1016/j.iref.2017.09.009.
- Bang, S. and Tuo, Y. (2013) “Trade relation between China and ASEAN countries: Competition or integration? - An empirical analysis based on export similarity, trade integration and regular market share model”, In: IEEE 2013 International Conference on Management Science and Engineering 20th Annual Conference Proceedings, pp. 1134-1138. DOI 10.1109/ICMSE.2013.6586417.
- Bilan Y., Mishchuk, H., Roshchyk, I. and Kmecova I. (2020) "Analysis of Intellectual Potential and its Impact on the Social and Economic Development of European Countries", Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 1, pp. 22-38. ISSN 20513143. DOI 10.7441/joc.2020.01.02.
- Blázquez-Fernández, C., Cantarero-Prieto, D. and Pascual-Sáez, M. (2018) "Okun’s Law in Selected European Countries (2005-2017): An Age and Gender Analysis", Economics and Sociology, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 263-274. E-ISSN 2306-3459, ISSN 2071-789X. DOI 10.14254/2071-789X.2018/11-2/18.
- Bojnec, Š. and Fertő, I. (2010) “Quality differentiation in East-West European agro-food trade during the pre-accession”, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 9 No. 3, pp. 36-51. ISSN 1392-8732.
- Bojnec, Š. and Fertő, I. (2009) “Agro-food trade competitiveness of Central European and Balkan countries”, Food policy, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 417-425. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2009.01.003.
- Bojnec, Š. and Fertő, I. (2015) “Agri‐food export competitiveness in European Union countries”. Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 476-492. ISSN 1468-5965. DOI 10.1111/jcms.12215.
- Brugier, C. M. (2017) “The EU’s trade strategy towards China: lessons for an effective turn”, Asia Europe Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 199-212. ISSN 1610-2932. DOI 10.1007/s10308-017-0475-4.
- Caporale, G. M., Rault, C., Sova, R. and Sova, A. (2012) “European free trade agreements and trade balance: Evidence from four new European Union members”, The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 839-863. ISSN 0963-8199. DOI 10.1080/09638199.2011.555562.
- Chomątowski, S. and Sokołowski, A. (1978) "Taksonomia struktur”, Przegląd Statystyczny, Vol. 2, pp. 217-226. (in Polish). ISSN 0033-2372.
- Crescimanno, M., Galati, A. and Bal, T. (2014) "The role of the economic crisis on the competitiveness of the agri-food sector in the main Mediterranean countries”, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 49-64. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/59/2013-AGRICECON.
- De Benedictis, L. and Tajoli, L. (2007) “Economic integration and similarity in trade structures”, Empirica, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 117-137. ISSN 0340-8744. DOI 10.1007/s10663-006-9024-x.
- Fang, L. and Shakur, S. (2018) “Impact of trade cost on China-EU agri-food trade”, Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 259-274. ISSN 1476-5284. DOI 10.1080/14765284.2018.1482089.
- Finger, J. M. and Kreinin, M. E. (1979) “A Measure of ‘Export Similarity’ and Its Possible Uses”, The Economic Journal, Vol. 89, No. 356, pp. 905-912. ISSN 0013-0133. DOI 10.2307/2231506.
- Guo, Z., Feng, Y. and Gries, T. (2015) "Changes of China’s agri-food exports to Germany caused by its accession to WTO and the 2008 financial crisis". China Agricultural Economic Review, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 262 – 279. ISSN 1756-137X. DOI 10.1108/CAER-11-2013-0152.
- Guo, Z., Feng, Y. and Tan, X. (2011) “Short-and long-term impact of remarkable economic events on the growth causes of China–Germany trade in agri-food products”, Economic Modelling, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 2359-2368. ISSN 0264-9993. DOI 10.1016/j.econmod.2011.06.007.
- Hallak, J. C. (2006) “Product quality and the direction of trade”, Journal of international Economics, Vol. 68, No. 1, pp. 238-265. ISSN 0022-1996. DOI 10.1016/j.jinteco.2005.04.001.
- Hummels, D. and Klenow, P. J. (2005) “The variety and quality of a nation's exports”, American Economic Review, Vol. 95, No. 3, pp. 704-723. ISSN 0002-8282. DOI 10.1257/0002828054201396.
- Janda, K., Rausser, G. and Strielkowski, W. (2013) "Determinants of profitability of Polish rural micro-enterprises at the time of EU Accession", Eastern European Countryside, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 177-217. DOI 10.2478/eec-2013-0009.
- Janský, P. (2010) “Rising unit values of Central and Eastern European exports: Rising quality in transition?”, International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 147-157. ISSN 1752-0452. ISSN 1232-8855. DOI 10.1504/IJEPEE.2010.033777.
- King, A. (1993) “A note on export unit value indices in competitiveness variables”, Bulletin of Economic Research, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 69-77. ISSN 1467-8586. DOI 10.1111/j.1467-8586.1993.tb00557.x.
- Kukuła, K. (2010) "Statystyczne studium struktury agrarnej w Polsce”, Warsaw, Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, p. 227. ISBN 978-83-01-15950-4. (in Polish).
- Larue, B. (2018) “Economic Integration Reconsidered”, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 66, No. 1, pp. 5-25. ISSN 1744-7976. DOI 10.1111/cjag.12164.
- Luo, X., Han, Y. and Zhang, F. (2018) “Competition of trade and investment between Guangzhou and BRI countries: an empirical analysis based on Export Similarity Index”, In: MATEC Web of Conferences, Vol. 175. EDP Sciences. ISSN 2261-236X. DOI 10.1051/matecconf/201817504032.
- Maciejewski, M. (2019) "The Similarity of the Demand Structure as a Determinant of the Commodity Structure of Bilateral Trade in the European Union Countries", Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, Vol. 7, No. 2. E-ISSN 2353-8821, ISSN 2353-883X. DOI 10.15678/EBER.2019.070214.
- Maciejewski, M. and Wach, K. (2019) "What determines export structure in the EU countries? The use of gravity model in international trade based on the panel data for the years 1995-2015", Journal of International Studies, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 151-167. ISSN 20718330. DOI 10.14254/2071-8330.2019/12-1/10.
- Maltseva, V. and Chupina, D. (2019) “Barriers in the EU-US Agricultural Trade within TTIP Agenda”, World Eсonomy and International Relations, Vol. 63, No 2, pp. 36-45. ISSN 0131-2227. DOI 10.20542/0131-2227-2019-63-2-36-4.
- Marques, H. (2011) “Asymmetries in heterogeneous integrated areas: Evidence from sectoral trade between old and new EU members”, The Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 5-29. ISSN 0963-8199. DOI 10.1080/09638199.2011.538181.
- Mau, K. (2019) “Foreign competition and quality sorting: Overlaps in US and Chinese exports”. The World Economy, Vol. 42, No. 8, pp. 2300-2325. ISSN 1467-9701. DOI 10.1111/twec.12791.
- Meunier, S. (2005) “Trading Voices: The European Union in International Commercial Negotiations”, Princeton, Princeton University Press, p. 248. ISBN 978-0691130507.
- Meunier, S. and Nicolaїdis, K. (2006) “The European Union as a conflicted trade power”, Journal of European Public Policy, Vol. 13, pp. 906-925. ISSN 1350-1763. DOI 10.1080/13501760600838623.
- Nguyen, T. N. A., Pham, T. H. H. and Vallée, T. (2017) “Similarity in trade structure: Evidence from ASEAN+ 3”, The Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 1000-1024. ISSN 0963-8199. DOI 10.1080/09638199.2017.1331372.
- Niemi, J. S. and Huan-Niemi, E. (2007) "EU-China agricultural trade in relation to China's WTO membership”, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 10, pp. 41-62. ISSN 1559-2448. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.8163.
- Novotná, T., Telò, M., Morin, J. F. and Ponjaert, M. F. (2015) “The politics of transatlantic trade negotiations: TTIP in a globalized world”, Farnham, Ashgate Publishing, 256 p. ISBN 978-1-4724-4364-9.
- Pawlak, K. (2018) “Comparative advantages of the Polish agri-food sector on the US market”. In Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference: Economic Sciences for Agribusiness and Rural Economy Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 223 – 230. ISBN 978-83-7583-803-9. DOI10.22630/ESARE.2018.2.29.
- Pawlak, K., Kołodziejczak, M. and Xie, Y. (2016) "Changes in foreign trade in agri-food products between the EU and China”, Journal of Agribusines and Rural Development, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 607-618. ISSN 1899-5241. DOI 10.17306/JARD.2016.87.
- Pomfret, R. (1981) “The impact of EEC enlargement on non-member Mediterranean countries' exports to the EEC”, The Economic Journal, Vol. 91, No. 363, pp. 726-729. ISSN 0013-0133. DOI 10.2307/2232837.
- Preeg, E. H. (1998) “From here to free trade: Essays in post-Uruguay round trade strategy”, Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 161 p., ISBN 978-0226679624.
- Priede, J. and Feng, H. (2017) “Evaluation of Latvia-China Trade Potential”, European Research Studies, Vol. 20, No. 3A, pp. 931-941. ISSN 1108-2976. DOI 10.35808/ersj/755.
- Rondinella, S., Agostino, M., Demaria, F. and Drogué, S. (2019) “Similarity and Competition in the Agri-Food Trade among European Mediterranean Countries”, The International Trade Journal, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 444-468. ISSN 0885-3908. DOI 10.1080/08853908.2019.1587324.
- Silver, M. (2009) “Do unit value export, import, and terms-of-trade indices misrepresent price indices?”, IMF Staff Papers, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 297-322. ISSN 2041-4161. DOI 10.1057/imfsp.2008.24.
- Smutka, L., Maitah, M. and Svatoš, M. (2019) “The Czech Agrarian Trade Comparative Advantages Distribution Based on Value and Volume Approach”, Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, Vol. 67, No. 6, pp. 1613-1625. ISSN 1211-8516. DOI 10.11118/actaun201967061613.
- Stiglitz, J. E. (1987) “The causes and consequences of the dependence of quality on price”, Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 1-48. ISSN 0022-0515. [Online] Available: https://www.jstor.org/stable/2726189. [Accessed: 12 Feb. 2020].
- Svatoš, M. and Smutka, L. (2012) “Development of agricultural trade and competitiveness of the commodity structures of individual countries of the Visegrad Group”, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 58, No. 5, pp. 222-238. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/51/2011-AGRICECON.
- Svatoš, M., Smutka, L., Smutka, B. A. M. and Mousbah, S. A. A. (2013) “Development of Visegrad countries’ agricultural trade in relation to agricultural production development”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 5, pp. 61-71. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.148104.
- Taylor, R. and Jaussaud, J. (2018) “China's Global Political Economy: Managerial Perspectives”, London, Routledge, 316 p. ISBN 9781138103733. DOI 10.4324/9781315102566.
- Tocci, N. (2008) “Who is a normative foreign policy actor? The European Union and its global partners”, Brussels, CEPS Paperback Series, 336 p. ISBN 9789290797791.
- Torok, A. and Jambor, A. (2013) “Competitiveness and Geographical Indications: the case of fruit spirits in Central and Eastern European countries”, Studies in Agricultural Economics, Vol. 115, pp. 25-32. ISSN 2063-0476. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.146816.
- Wang, P. and Pawlak, K. (2019) “Changes in Foreign Trade in Agricultural Products between China and Poland”, Agricultural and Forestry Economics and Management, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1-10. ISSN 2616-2202. [Online] Available: https://www.clausiuspress.com/article/281.html. [Accessed: 15 Feb. 2020].
- Yang, J., Černevičiūtė, J., Strazdas, R. and Tvaronavičienė, M. (2019) "Stimulation of cultural and creative industries clusters development: А case study from China", Terra Economicus, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 169-184. E- ISSN 2410-4531, ISSN 2073-6606.
- Zheng, Y. and Qi, J. (2007) “Empirical Analysis of the Structure of Sino‐US Agricultural Trade”, China and World Economy, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 35-51. ISSN 1749-124X. DOI 10.1111/j.1749-124X.2007.00074.x.