Diamond Model and Competition of Rubber Export Markets: Evidence from Sumatra Economic Growth Center
No 1/2021, March
Ansonfino, A., Zusmelia, Z., Dahen, L. D. and Puteri, Y. E. (2021) “Diamond Model and Competition of Rubber Export Markets: Evidence from Sumatra Economic Growth Center", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 15-27. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2021.130102.
The focus of this research is on how the position of competitiveness of Indonesian rubber exports among ASEAN countries and the dominant factors causing the competitiveness of Indonesian rubber exports experienced a downward. Approach to measuring rubber export competitiveness uses the Lafay Index, and factors that affect the competitiveness using the Diamond model by using panel data analysis method. The results show that there has been a decline in the competitiveness of Indonesia's rubber exports to ASEAN countries, the greatest decline in competitiveness that occurred in Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand. Factors that affect Indonesia's export competitiveness that is more dominant are a foreign direct investment, price levels, and interest rates. FDI should be directed at improving the quality of export products following the quality of ISNR and upgrading the quality of rubber export products from SIT 20, and directly more beneficial for the manufacture of goods for final consumers.
Export competitiveness, the Lafay index, diamond model.
- Almeida, P. and Kogut, B. (1999) “Localization of knowledge and the mobility of engineers in regional networks,” Management Science, Vol. 45, No. 7, pp. 905-917. ISSN 00251909. DOI 10.1287/mnsc.45.7.905.
- Ansofino, A. (2016a) “The Development of the West Sumatra Economic Corridor as a Strategy to Strengthen Connectivity with the Economic of ASEAN Countries”, Economica Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2. ISSN 2302-1590.
- Ansofino, A. (2016b) “Integrasi perekonomian kabupaten dan kota di Sumatera Barat menuju integrasi pasar untuk menghadapi masyarakat ekonomi ASEAN 2015”, IPTEKS Terapan, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 137-154. ISSN 1979-9292.
- Ansofino, A. and Zusmelia, Z. (2018) “Comparative and Competitive Advantages Analysis of Rubber as A Featured Product of West Sumatra to Support of Spatial Interaction”, Proceeding International (ICEEE 3rd). ISBN 978-979-028-853-9.
- Ansofino, A. and Zusmelia, Z. (2017) “Towards Economic Linkages and Market Integration in Facing ASEAN Economic Community: Case Study West Sumatra Economy”, International Journal of Economic Research, Vol. 14, No. 15, pp. 429-441. ISSN 0972-9380.
- Ansofino, A., Zusmelia, Z., Malinda,Y. and Dahen, L. D. (2018) “Regional Economic Improvement Model through Integration of West Sumateran Rubber Market with ASEAN Regional Market”, Proceedings of the Social and Humaniora Research Symposium (SoRes 2018), Unisba Bandung. ISSN 2352-5398. DOI 10.2991/sores-18.2019.108.
- Ansofino, A., Zusmelia, Z., Malinda,Y. and Dahen, L., D. (2019) “The Spatial Integration of Crumb Rubber market within ASEAN Countries,” Academic of Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 1-13. ISSN 1544-1458, [Online]. Available: https://www.abacademies.org/articles/The-Spatial-Integration-of-Crumb-Rubber-Markets-within-ASEAN-Countries-1939-6104-18-4-406.pdf. [Accessed: 14 Feb., 2020].
- Bai, J. (2013) “Fixed-Effects Dynamic Panel Models, a Factor Analytical Method”, Econometrica, Vol. 81, No. 1, pp. 285-314. ISSN 0012-9682. DOI 10.3982/ECTA9409.
- Balasa, B. and Noland, M. (1989) “Revealed Comparative Advantage in Japan and the United States”, Journal of Economic Integration, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 8-22. ISSN 1015356X. DOI 10.11130/jei.19220.127.116.11.
- Berg, A., Ostry, J. D. and Zettelmeyer, J. (2012) “What makes growth sustained?”, Journal of Development Economics. International Monetary Fund, Vol. 98, No. 2, pp. 149-166. ISSN 03043878. DOI 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2011.08.002.
- Bhawsar, P. and Chattopadhyay, U. (2015) “Competitiveness: Review, Reflections and Directions”, Global Business Review, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 665-679. ISSN 0972-1509. DOI 10.1177/0972150915581115.
- Billings, S. B. and Johnson, E. B. (2016) “Agglomeration within an urban area”, Journal of Urban Economics, Vol. 91, pp. 13-25. ISSN 00941190. DOI 10.1016/j.jue.2015.11.002.
- Bojnec, Š. and Ferto, I. (2014) “Export competitiveness of dairy products on global markets: The case of the European Union countries”, Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 97, No. 10, pp. 6151-6163. ISSN 0022-0302. DOI 10.23986/afsci.9373.
- Boonpattarakan, A. (2012) “Competitive Capabilities of Thai Logistics Industry: Effects on Corporate Image and Performance”, International Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 19-30. E-ISSN 1833-8119, ISSN 1833-3850. DOI 10.5539/ijbm.v7n5p19.
- Burianová, J. and Belová, A. (2012) “The competitiveness of agricultural foreign trade commodities of the CR assessed by way of the Lafay Index”, Agris On-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 4 (SUPPL.SPL. 4), pp. 27-36. ISSN 18041930.
- Combes, P. P., Duranton, G. and Overman, H. G. (2005) “Agglomerasi and the adjustment of the spatial economy”, Papers in Regional Science. Vol. 84, No. 3, pp. 311-349. E-ISSN 1757-7802. DOI 10.1111/j.1435-5957.2005.00038.x.
- Dagenais, M. G. and Muet , P. A. (1992) "International Trade Modelling", Edited by Homa Motamen- Scobie, London: Chapman & Hall. ISBN 9781475721522.
- Euler, M., Schwarze, S., Siregar, H. and Qaim, M. (2016) “Oil Palm Expansion among Smallholder Farmers in Sumatra, Indonesia”, Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 658-676. ISSN 14779552. DOI 10.1111/1477-9552.12163.
- Florida, R. (2012) "The Rise of The Creative Class", Revisited, Philadelphia, USA: Basic Books, Philadelphia, USA. ISBN 9780465029938.
- Grant, R. M. (1991) “Porter’s Competitive Advantage of Nations: An Assessment”, Strategic management Journal, Vol. 12, pp. 535-548. ISSN 1098-6596. DOI 10.1002/smj.4250120706.
- Huo, D., Chen, Y., Hung, K., Song, Z. Guan, J. and Ji, A. (2019) “Diamond model and the export competitiveness of the agriculture industry from emerging markets: an exploratory vision based on a spatial effect study using a genetic algorithm”, Economic Research-Ekonomska Istrazivanja. DOI 10.1080/1331677X.2019.1679212.
- Jambor, A., Toth, A. T. and Koroshegyi, D. (2017) “The export competitiveness of global cocoa traders”, Agris On-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 27-37. ISSN 18041930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2017.090303.
- Joas, H. (1996) "The Creativity of Action", Blackwell Publishers Ltd, Oxford OX4 IJF, UK. ISBN-13: 978-0226400440, ISBN-10: 0226400441.
- Kamath, S., Agrawal, J. and Chase, K. (2012) “Explaining geographic cluster success - The GEMS model”, American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Vol. 71, No. 1, pp. 184-214. DOI 10.1111/j.1536-7150.2011.00819.x.
- Liu, X. and Revell, B. (2009) “Competitiveness change in China’s Quality Vegetable exports Post WTO”, Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Vol. 2, pp. 86-99. ISSN 1754-4408. DOI 10.1108/17544400910966068.
- Porter, M. E. (1981)“ The Contributions of Industrial Organization To Strategic Management,” Academy of Management Review, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 609-620. ISSN 0363-7425. DOI 10.5465/amr.1981.4285706.
- Qin, X. and Pastory, D. (2012) “Comparative Analysis of Commercial Banks Liquidity Position: The Case of Tanzania”, International Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 7, No. 10, pp. 134-141. ISSN 1833-3850. DOI 10.5539/ijbm.v7n10p134.
- Qineti, A., Rajcaniova, M. and Matejkova, E. (2009) “The competitiveness and comparative advantage of the Slovak and the EU agri-food trade with Russia and Ukraine”, Agricultural Economics, Vol. 55, No. 8, pp. 375-383. ISSN 0139570X. DOI 10.17221/42/2009-agricecon.
- Romer, P. M. (1990) “Endogenous technological change”, Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 98, No. 5, pp. S71-S102. ISSN 1537534X. DOI 10.1086/261725.
- Sarker, R. and Ratnasena, S. (2014) “Revealed Comparative Advantage and Half-a-Century Competitiveness of Canadian Agriculture: A Case Study of Wheat, Beef, and Pork Sectors”, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economic, Vol. 62, No. 4. pp. 519-544. ISSN 18041930. DOI 10.1111/cjag.12057.
- Shoufeng, C., Feng, L. and Jiao, Z. (2011) “Export competitiveness of Agri-products between China and Central Asian Countries: A comparative analysis”, Canadian Social Science, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 129-134. ISSN 1712-8056.
- Snowdon, B. and Stonehouse, G. (2006) “Commentary: Competitiveness in a globalized world: Michael Porter on the microeconomic foundations of the competitiveness of nations, regions, and firms”, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 163-175. ISSN 00472506. DOI 10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400190.
- Svatos, M., Smutka, L. and Miffek, O. (2018) “Competitiveness of agrarian trade of EU-15 countries in comparison with new EU member states”, Agricultural Economics (Zemědělská ekonomika), Vol. 56, No. 12, pp. 569-582. ISSN 0139570X. DOI 10.17221/129/2010-agricecon.
- Vollrath, T. L. (1991) “A Theoretical Evaluation of Alternative Trade Intensity Measures of Revealed Comparative Advantage”, Weltwirtschaftlics Archiv, Vol. 127, pp. 265-280. ISSN 00432636. DOI 10.1007/BF02707986.
- Winoto, J. and Siregar, H. (2008) “Agriculture Development in Indonesia: Current Problem, Issues, and Policies after the onset of the Asian Financial Crisis, the Indonesian economy has”, Analisis Kebijakan Pertanian, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 11-36. ISSN 2549-7278.
- Zaghini, A. (2003) “Trade advantages and specialization dynamics in acceding countries”, European Central Bank: Working paper series, No. 249, p. 52 . E-ISSN 1725-2806, ISSN 1561-0810.
- Zhang, Y., Li, H., Li, Y. and Zhou, L.-A. (2010) “FDI Spillovers in an Emerging Market: The role of Foreign Firms’ Country Origin Diversity and Domestic Firms Absorptive Capacity”, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 31, pp. 969-989. ISSN 01432095. DOI 10.1002/smj.856.