Comparison of Fuzzy Multi-Criteria Decision-Making Methods to Rank Business Strategies and Marketing Resources
No 3/2020, September
Tohidi, A., Ghorbani, M., Karbasi, A.-R., Asgharpourmasouleh, A. and Hassani-Mahmooei, B. (2020) “Comparison of Fuzzy Multi-Criteria Decision-Making Methods to Rank Business Strategies and Marketing Resources", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 101-114. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2020.120309.
Given the growing competition in domestic and international agricultural product markets, choosing a business strategy compatible with requirements of marketing resources can guide agro-food firms to maintain and enhance competitive advantages. However, this is not as simple as it seems because the decision-making criteria expressed in a fuzzy manner and the relationship between them can be hierarchical or network-based. Therefore, the main goal of this study was to select the most suitable business strategy and to prioritize marketing resources for one of the major agro-food firms in Iran. To ensure the robustness of the results, both fuzzy analytic hierarchy process (AHP) and fuzzy analytic network process (ANP) were applied to prioritize business strategies and marketing resources. The results of both methods revealed that the differentiation strategy had the highest priority in terms of the experts' viewpoints. The results also showed that managerial and customer relationship capabilities were the most important criteria in selecting the differentiation strategy. According to the findings of the study, for the successful implementation of the differentiation strategy, company managers are recommended to take the following three main elements into huge consideration: financial conditions, paying attention to customer’s needs and requirements, and the introduction of new products and services.
Agro-food, strategic management, problem-solving.
- Acar, C., Beskese, A. and Temur, G. T. (2018) “Sustainability analysis of different hydrogen production options using hesitant fuzzy AHP”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 43, No. 39, pp. 18059-18076. ISSN 0360-3199. DOI 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.08.024.
- Adetunji, O., Bischoff, J. and Willy, C. J. (2018) “Managing system obsolescence via multicriteria decision making”, Systems Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 307-321. ISSN 1098-1241. DOI 10.1002/sys.21436.
- Altuntas, S. and Yilmaz, M. K. (2016) “Fuzzy DEMATEL Method to Evaluate the Dimensions of Marketing Resources: An Application in SMEs”, Journal of Business Economics and Management, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 347-364. ISSN 1611-1699. DOI 10.3846/16111699.2015.1068220.
- Anwar, J. and Hasnu, S. (2016) “Business strategy and firm performance: a multi-industry analysis”, Journal of Strategy and Management, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 361-382. ISSN 1755-425X. DOI 10.1108/JSMA-09-2015-0071.
- Ashtiani, M. and Abdollahi Azgomi, M. (2016) “Trust modeling based on a combination of fuzzy analytic hierarchy process and fuzzy VIKOR”, Soft Computing, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 399-421. ISSN 1432-7643. DOI 10.1007/s00500-014-1516-1.
- Balci, G., Cetin, I. B. and Tanyeri, M. (2018) “Differentiation of container shipping services in Turkey”, Transport Policy, Vol. 61, No. 26-35. ISSN 0967-070X. DOI 10.1016/j.tranpol.2017.10.004.
- Banchuen, P., Sadler, I. and Shee, H. (2017) “Supply chain collaboration aligns order-winning strategy with business outcomes”, IIMB Management Review, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 109-121. ISSN 0970-3896. DOI 10.1016/j.iimb.2017.05.001.
- Barnard, F. L., Foltz, J. C. and Yeager, E. A. (2016) “Agribusiness management”, 5th ed., London, Routledge, ISBN 1315709422. DOI 10.4324/9781315709420.
- Barney, J. B. and Hesterly, W. S. (2015) “Strategic Management and Competitive Advantage Concepts and Cases”, 5th ed., Edinburgh Gate Harlow, Pearson Education Limited. ISBN 0133127400.
- Bendickson, J. S. and Chandler, T. D. (2019) “Operational performance: The mediator between human capital developmental programs and financial performance”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 94, No. 162-171. ISSN 0148-2963. DOI 10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.10.049.
- Brožová, H., Šup, L., Rydval, J., Sadok, M. and Bednar, P. (2016) “Information security management: ANP based approach for risk analysis and decision making”, Agris On-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 13-23. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2016.080102.
- Chen, C. C., Yueh, H. P. and Liang, C. (2016) “Strategic management of agribusiness: Determinants and trends”, Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 69-90. ISSN 2299-7326. DOI 10.7341/20161244.
- Dantas, M. I. S., Nakajima, V., Rosa, D. D., Andrade, F. O., Camila, C. and Martino, H. S. D. (2011) “Guava jam packaging determinant attributes in consumer buying decision”, Ciencia e Tecnologia de Alimentos, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 567-570. ISSN 0101-2061. DOI 10.1590/S0101-20612011000300003.
- Deng, X. and Jiang, W. (2018) “An Evidential Axiomatic Design Approach for Decision Making Using the Evaluation of Belief Structure Satisfaction to Uncertain Target Values”, International Journal of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 15-32. ISSN 0884-8173. DOI 10.1002/int.21929.
- Dentoni, D., English, F. and Schwartz, D. (2014) “The impact of public R&D on marketing and supply chains on small farms' market sensing capability: Evidence from the Australian seafood industry”, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 37-58. ISSN 1559-2448. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.163353.
- Gedela, R. K., Mohan, K. K. and Prasad, V. K. (2018) “Application of BOCR models in service oriented architecture (SOA): study on model validation through quantification for QoS considerations”, International Journal of Systems Assurance Engineering and Management, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 1346-1354. ISSN 0975-6809. DOI 10.1007/s13198-018-0751-8.
- Goddard, A. and Simm, A. (2017) “Management accounting, performance measurement and strategy in English local authorities”, Public Money and Management, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 261-268. ISSN 0954-0962. DOI 10.1080/09540962.2017.1295726.
- Gomes, C. F., Yasin, M. M., Lisboa, J. V. and Small, M. H. (2014) “Discerning competitive strategy through an assessment of competitive methods”, Service Industries Journal, Vol. 34, No. 12, pp. 974-998. ISSN 0264-2069. DOI 10.1080/02642069.2014.915946.
- Graves, C. and Thomas, J. (2006) “Internationalization of Australian family businesses: A managerial capabilities perspective”, Family Business Review, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 207-224. ISSN 0894-4865. DOI 10.1111/j.1741-6248.2006.00066.x.
- Grimmer, L. (2019) “2 - Disrupting the giants: How independent grocers respond to the supermarket duopoly in Tasmania, Australia”, Woodhead Publishing. ISBN 978-0-08-102037-1.
- Gul, M., Ak, M. F. and Guneri, A. F. (2017) “Occupational health and safety risk assessment in hospitals: A case study using two-stage fuzzy multi-criteria approach”, Human and Ecological Risk Assessment: An International Journal, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 187-202. ISSN 1080-7039. DOI 10.1080/10807039.2016.1234363.
- Guo, S. and Zhao, H. (2017) “Fuzzy best-worst multi-criteria decision-making method and its applications”, Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol. 121, No. 23-31. ISSN 0950-7051. DOI 10.1016/j.knosys.2017.01.010.
- Haddad, M. and Sanders, D. (2018) “Selection of discrete multiple criteria decision making methods in the presence of risk and uncertainty”, Operations Research Perspectives, Vol. 5, No. 357-370. ISSN 2214-7160. DOI 10.1016/j.orp.2018.10.003.
- Hill, C. W. L. and Jones, G. R. (2013) “Strategic management: An integrated approach”, 10th ed., Mason, OH, South-Western, Cengage Learning, ISBN 1133485707.
- Hitt, M. A., Ireland, R. D. and Hoskisson, R. E. (2016) “Strategic management: Concepts and cases: Competitiveness and globalization”, 12th ed., Boston, Cengage Learning, ISBN 1305856287.
- Hooley, G. J., Greenley, G. E., Cadogan, J. W. and Fahy, J. (2005) “The performance impact of marketing resources”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 58, No. 1 Spec. Iss., pp. 18-27. ISSN 01480-2963. DOI 10.1016/S0148-2963(03)00109-7.
- Hornická, A. and Brožová, H. (2013) “Continuity of demarcation process of the regions for concentrated state support”, Agris On-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 3-12. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.157520.
- Hsieh, T.-Y., Lu, S.-T. and Tzeng, G.-H. (2004) “Fuzzy MCDM approach for planning and design tenders selection in public office buildings”, International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 22, No. 7, pp. 573-584. ISSN 0263-7863. DOI 10.1016/j.ijproman.2004.01.002.
- Hsu, Y.-L., Lee, C.-H.,and Kreng, V. B. (2010) “The application of Fuzzy Delphi Method and Fuzzy AHP in lubricant regenerative technology selection”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 419-425. ISSN 0957-4174. DOI 10.1016/j.eswa.2009.05.068.
- Khan, S. Z., Yang, Q. and Waheed, A. (2019) “Investment in intangible resources and capabilities spurs sustainable competitive advantage and firm performance”, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 285-295. ISSN 1535-3958. DOI 10.1002/csr.1678.
- Khilare, V., Tiknaik, A., Prakash, B., Ughade, B., Korhale, G., Nalage, D., Ahmed, N., Khedkar, C. and Khedkar, G. (2019) “Multiple tests on saffron find new adulterant materials and reveal that 1st grade saffron is rare in the market”, Food Chemistry, Vol. 272, No. 635-642. ISSN 0308-8146. DOI 10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.08.089.
- Koulinas, G. K., Marhavilas, P. K., Demesouka, O. E., Vavatsikos, A. P. and Koulouriotis, D. E. (2019) “Risk analysis and assessment in the worksites using the fuzzy-analytical hierarchy process and a quantitative technique – A case study for the Greek construction sector”, Safety Science, Vol. 112, No. 96-104. ISSN 0925-7535. DOI 10.1016/j.ssci.2018.10.017.
- Lassoued, R. and Hobbs, J. E. (2015) “Consumer confidence in credence attributes: The role of brand trust”, Food Policy, Vol. 52, No. 99-107. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2014.12.003.
- Lee, A. H., Chen, W.-C. and Chang, C.-J. (2008) “A fuzzy AHP and BSC approach for evaluating performance of IT department in the manufacturing industry in Taiwan”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 96-107. ISSN 0957-4174. DOI 10.1016/j.eswa.2006.08.022.
- Lin, C.-T., Lee, C. and Chen, W.-Y. (2009) “Using fuzzy analytic hierarchy process to evaluate service performance of a travel intermediary”, Service Industries Journal, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 281-296. ISSN 0264-2069. DOI 10.1080/02642060701846762.
- Lin, C.-T., Lee, C. and Wu, C.-S. (2009) “Optimizing a marketing expert decision process for the private hotel”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 5613-5619. ISSN 0957-4174. DOI 10.1016/j.eswa.2008.06.113.
- Lin, C. T. and Wu, C. S. (2008) “Selecting a marketing strategy for private hotels in Taiwan using the analytic hierarchy process”, Service Industries Journal, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 1077-1091. ISSN 0264-2069. DOI 10.1080/02642060802187991.
- Lorenzo, J. R. F., Rubio, M. T. M. and Garcés, S. A. (2018) “The competitive advantage in business, capabilities and strategy. What general performance factors are found in the Spanish wine industry?”, Wine Economics and Policy, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 94-108. ISSN 2213-3968. DOI 10.1016/j.wep.2018.04.001.
- Mahmoudkelaye, S., Azari, K. T., Pourvaziri, M. and Asadian, E. (2018) “Sustainable material selection for building enclosure through ANP method”, Case Studies in Construction Materials, Vol. 9, No. ISSN 2214-5095. DOI 10.1016/j.cscm.2018.e00200.
- Mirzaei, O., Micheels, E. T. and Boecker, A. (2016) “Product and marketing innovation in farm-based businesses: the role of entrepreneurial orientation and market orientation”, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 99-130. ISSN 1559-2448. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.234958.
- Mohaghar, A., Fathi, M. R., Zarchi, M. K. and Omidian, A. (2012) “A combined VIKOR-fuzzy AHP approach to marketing strategy selection”, Business Management and Strategy, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 13-27. ISSN 2157-6068. DOI 10.5296/bms.v3i1.957.
- Mohammadi, H., Saghaian, S.,and Alizadeh, P. (2017) “Prioritization of expanded marketing mix in different stages of the product life cycle: the case of food industry”, Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 993-1003. ISSN 1680-7073.
- Montesinos-Valera, J., Aragonés-Beltrán, P. and Pastor-Ferrando, J.-P. (2017) “Selection of maintenance, renewal and improvement projects in rail lines using the analytic network process”, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 1476-1496. ISSN 1573-2479. DOI 10.1080/15732479.2017.1294189.
- Morris, W. and Mishra, N. (2014) “Online decision support system for finished lamb production”, International Journal of Services, Economics and Management, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 209-221. ISSN 1753-0822. DOI 10.1504/IJSEM.2014.064296.
- Osakwe, C. N. and Anaza, N. A. (2018) “Understanding marketing resources and size in agro-based enterprises”, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 230-244. ISSN 0263-4503. DOI 10.1108/MIP-07-2017-0149.
- Ratković, T. (2015) “HRM in foreign-owned agricultural and food processing companies in Serbia”, Economics of Agriculture, Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 353-367. ISSN 0352-3462. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.206922.
- Rexhepi, G. and Srhoj, S. (2018) “Strategy as an ever evolving road to success of growing enterprises”, World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 333-347. ISSN 1746-0573. DOI 10.1504/WREMSD.2018.091689.
- Sadeghi, A. and Larimian, T. (2018) “Sustainable electricity generation mix for Iran: A fuzzy analytic network process approach”, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Vol. 28, No. 30-42. ISSN 2213-1388. DOI 10.1016/j.seta.2018.04.001.
- Siddiquie, R. Y., Khan, Z. A. and Siddiquee, A. N. (2017) “Prioritizing decision criteria of flexible manufacturing systems using fuzzy TOPSIS”, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 913-927. ISSN 1741-038X. DOI 10.1108/JMTM-04-2017-0069.
- Sigalas, C. and Pekka Economou, V. (2013) “Revisiting the concept of competitive advantage: Problems and fallacies arising from its conceptualization”, Journal of Strategy and Management, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 61-80. ISSN 1755-425X. DOI 10.1108/17554251311296567.
- Sok, P., Snell, L., Lee, W. J. T. and Sok, K. M. (2017) “Linking entrepreneurial orientation and small service firm performance through marketing resources and marketing capability: A moderated mediation model”, Journal of Service Theory and Practice, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 231-249. ISSN 2055-6225. DOI 10.1108/JSTP-01-2016-0001.
- Ulubeyli, S., Kazaz, A. and Sahin, S. (2018) “Survival of construction SMEs in macroeconomic crises: Innovation-based competitive strategies”, Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 654-673. DOI 10.1108/JEDT-03-2018-0057.
- Wu, C.-S., Lin, C.-T. and Lee, C. (2010a) “Competitive marketing strategies decision-making based on marketing resources and capabilities: Evidence from the hospitality industry in Taiwan”, Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality and Tourism, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 219-238. ISSN 1528-008X. DOI 10.1080/1528008X.2010.504163.
- Wu, C.-S., Lin, C.-T., and Lee, C. (2010b) “Optimal marketing strategy: A decision-making with ANP and TOPSIS”, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 127, No. 1, pp. 190-196. ISSN 0925-5273. DOI 10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.05.013.
- Wu, P., Gao, L. and Gu, T. (2015) “Business strategy, market competition and earnings management: Evidence from China”, Chinese Management Studies, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 401-424. ISSN 1750-614X. DOI 10.1108/CMS-12-2014-0225.
- Yazdi, M. (2017) “Hybrid Probabilistic Risk Assessment Using Fuzzy FTA and Fuzzy AHP in a Process Industry”, Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 756-764. ISSN 1547-7029. DOI 10.1007/s11668-017-0305-4.
- Yoshikuni, A. C. and Albertin, A. L. (2018) “Effects of strategic information systems on competitive strategy and performance”, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, Vol. 67, No. 9, pp. 2018-2045. ISSN 1741-0401. DOI 10.1108/IJPPM-07-2017-0166.