Design and Realization of Interconnection of Multifunctional Weighing Device with Sigfox Data Network
No 2/2020, June
Magdin, M., Valovič, M., Koprda, Š. and Balogh, Z. (2020) “Design and Realization of Interconnection of Multifunctional Weighing Device with Sigfox Data Network", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 99-110. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2020.120209.
With the increasing expansion of IoT networks, people are trying to connect more and more devices to data networks. Nowadays, such devices are made possible by platforms such as Arduino and Espressif. In recent years, one of the areas of interest for IoT has been the development and maintenance of beekeeping. Although there are various commercial solutions for multifunctional hive scales (BeeSpy or Alya), they are quite expensive. In this paper, we present a hardware and software solution to this problem. From a hardware point of view, our goal was to design such a device that would be competitive, capture various data using ambient sensors, and communicate over the new SigFox data network that was introduced in Slovakia in 2018. From a software point of view, we aimed to design and implement an application for smartphones. With this application, it is possible to fully visualize all acquired sensor data. The communication between the multifunction weighing device and the user's smartphone is ensured via SMS messages.
Arduino microcontroller, Sigfox network, LPWAN, bee multifunction weighing device.
- Alya (2019a) "VILKO“, Oct. 2019. [Online]. Available: Available: http://www.alya.sk/ vcelarska- vaha-vilko [Accessed: 25 Oct. 2019].
- Alya (2019b) "MELLISA“, Oct. 2019. [Online]. Available: Available: http://www.alya.sk/ vcelarska- vaha-mellisa-2 [Accessed: 25 Oct. 2019].
- BeeSpy (2019) "BeeSpy“, Oct. 2019. [Online]. Available: http://www.beespy.cz [Accessed: 25 Oct. 2019].
- Bulić, P., Kojek, G. and Biasizzo, A. (2019) "Data Transmission Efficiency in Bluetooth Low Energy Versions”, Sensors (Switzerland), Vol. 19, No 17. E-ISSN 1424-8220. DOI 10.3390/s19173746.
- Centenaro, M., Vangelista, L., Zanella, A. and Zorzi, M. (2016) "Long-range communications in unlicensed bands: The rising stars in the IoT and smart city scenarios“, IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 60-67. E-ISSN 1558-0687, ISSN 1536-1284. DOI 10.1109/MWC.2016.7721743.
- Debauche, O., Moulat, M. E., Mahmoudi, S., Boukraa, S., Manneback, P. and Lebeau, F. (2018) "Web Monitoring of Bee Health for Researchers and Beekeepers Based on the Internet of Things", Procedia Computer Science, pp. 991. ISSN 1877-0509. DOI 10.1016/j.procs.2018.04.103.
- Edwards-Murphy, F., Magno, M., Whelan, P. M., O'Halloran, J. and Popovici, E. M. (2016) "B+WSN: Smart beehive with preliminary decision tree analysis for agriculture and honey bee health monitoring", Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol. 124, pp. 211-219. ISSN 0168-1699. DOI 10.1016/j.compag.2016.04.008.
- Fitzgerald, D.vW., Edwards-Murphy, F., Wright, W. M. D., Whelan, P. M. and Popovici, E. M. (2015) "Design and development of a smart weighing scale for beehive monitoring", 26th Irish Signals and Systems Conference, ISSC 2015. ISBN 978-1-4673-6974-9. DOI 10.1109/ISSC.2015.7163763.
- Gil-Lebrero, S., Quiles-Latorre, F. J., Ortiz-López, M., Sánchez-Ruiz, V., Gámiz-López, V. and Luna-Rodríguez, J. J. (2017) "Honey bee colonies remote monitoring system", Sensors (Switzerland), Vol. 17, No. 1. E-ISSN 1424-8220. DOI 10.3390/s17010055.
- Hossain, T.. Doi, Y., Tazin, T., Ahad, M. A. R. M. and Inoue, S. (2018) "Study of LoRaWAn technology for activity recognition", UbiComp/ISWC 2018 - Adjunct Proceedings of the 2018 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2018 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers, pp. 1449-1453. ISBN 978-1-4503-5966-5/18/10. DOI 10.1145/3267305.3267510.
- Jiang, J.-A., Wang, C.-H., Chen, C.-H., Liao, M.-S., Su, Y.-L., Chen, W.-S., Huang, C.-P., Yang, E.- C. and Chuang, C.-L. (2016) "A WSN-based automatic monitoring system for the foraging behavior of honey bees and environmental factors of beehives", Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol. 123, pp. 304-318. ISSN 0168-1699. DOI 10.1016/j.compag.2016.03.003.
- McLellan, A. (1977) "Honeybee colony weight as an index of honey production and nectar flow,” Journal of Applied Ecology, Vol. 14, pp. 401-408. ISSN 1365-2664. DOI 10.2307/2402553.
- Mekki, K., Bajic, E., Chaxel, F. and Meyer, F. (2019) "A comparative study of LPWAN technologies for large-scale IoT deployment", ICT Express, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 1-7. ISSN 2405-9595 DOI 10.1016/j.icte.2017.12.005.
- Mekki, K., Bajic, E., Chaxel, F. and Meyer, F. (2018) "Overview of Cellular LPWAN Technologies for IoT Deployment: Sigfox, LoRaWAN, and NB-IoT", 2018 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops, PerCom Workshops 2018, pp. 197. E-ISBN 978-1-5386-3227-7, ISBN 978-1-5386-3228-4. DOI 10.1109/PERCOMW.2018.8480255.
- Payne, E. K., Lu, S., Wang, Q. and Wu, L. (2019) "Concept of designing thermal condition monitoring system with ZigBee/GSM communication link for distributed energy resources network in rural and remote applications", Processes, Vol. 7, No. 6. E-ISSN 2227-9717. DOI 10.3390/PR7060383.
- Raza, U., Kulkarni, P. and Sooriyabandara, M. (2017) "Low Power Wide Area Networks: An Overview", IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 855-873. E-ISSN 1553-877X. ISSN 2373-745X. DOI 10.1109/COMST.2017.2652320.
- Saelens, M., Hoebeke, J., Shahid, A. and Poorter, E. D. (2019) "Impact of EU duty cycle and transmission power limitations for sub-GHz LPWAN SRDs: an overview and future challenges", Eurasip Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2019, No. 1. E-ISSN 1687-1499. DOI 10.1186/s13638-019-1502-5.
- Seidle, N. (2019) "The Internet of Bees: Adding Sensors to Monitor Hive Health“, Oct. 2019. [Online]. Available: https://makezine.com/projects/bees-sensors-monitor-hive-health [Accessed: 25 Oct. 2019].
- Sinha, R. S., Wei, Y. and Hwang, S. (2017) "A survey on LPWA technology: LoRa and NB-IoT", ICT Express, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 14-21. ISSN 2405-9595. DOI 10.1016/j.icte.2017.03.004.
- Zacepins, A., Kviesis, A., Stalidzans, E., Liepniece, M. and Meitalovs, J. (2016) "Remote detection of the swarming of honey bee colonies by single-point temperature monitoring", Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 148, pp. 76-80. ISSN 1537-5110. DOI 10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2016.05.012.