Exploring the Consumers Willingness of Using E-Commerce to Purchase Geographical Indication Based Crops, a Case Study of Udupi Jasmine
No 2/2020, June
D ́souza, D. J. and Joshi, H. G. (2020) “Exploring the Consumers Willingness of Using E-Commerce to Purchase Geographical Indication Based Crops, a Case Study of Udupi Jasmine", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 63-69. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2020.120206.
Udupi jasmine cultivation has proven to be a successful viable community-based enterprise (CBE) in coastal Karnataka of India. Jasmine cultivation plays a major role in the socio-economic status of this CBE. This study focuses on exploring the consumers willingness of using e-commerce to buy Udupi jasmine. An e-commerce test web application was built and was demonstrated to consumers. Demographic details, jasmine buying purpose and frequency, online shopping details and willingness of consumers to buy jasmine online was captured. Study showed positive correlation between consumers willingness of using e-commerce to buy jasmine and recommending the e-commerce web application to others. The study validates the e-commerce framework using which the web application was built to market Udupi jasmine which has a Geographical Indication (GI) tag. Hence the study provides new approaches in marketing crops that are specific to a geographical location and presents new direction in the sector of GI based crops.
Geographical Indication, Udupi jasmine, e-commerce, community-based enterprise, socio-economic, policy making, ICT.
- Aydın, E. and Savrul, B. K. (2014) "The Relationship between Globalization and E-commerce: Turkish Case”, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. Vol. 150, pp. 1267-1276. ISSN 1877-0428. DOI 10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.09.143.
- Banerjee, M. and Nausahd, S. (2010) "Grant of Geographical Indication to Tirupathi Laddu: Commercialization of Faith?”, NUJS Law Review, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 107-121. [Online]. Available: http://nujslawreview.org/2016/12/02 [Accessed: 20 Feb 2020].
- Bhatnagar, S. and Schware, R. (2000) "Information and communication technology in development: cases from India”, SAGE, 232 p. ISBN 0761994459.
- Bryman, A. and Bell, E. (2011) “Business research methods”, Cambridge: Oxford University Press, ISBN 0199583404.
- D’souza, D. J. and Joshi, H. G. (2018) “ICT Intervention in the Socio-Economic Development of Udupi Jasmine”, Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 17-25. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2018.100402.
- D’souza, D. J. and Joshi, H. G. (2019) “E-commerce Framework For Strategic Marketing of Udupi Jasmine”, Agris On-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 17-26. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110102.
- Folorunso, O., Sharma, S. K., Longe, H.O.D and Lasaki K. (2006) "An agent-based model for Agriculture E-commerce system”, Information Technology Journal, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 230-234. E-ISSN 1812-5646, ISSN 1812-5630. DOI 10.3923/itj.2006.230.234.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) (2017) “Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in Agriculture”, [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i7961e.pdf. [Accessed: 20 June. 2019].
- GI: Intellectual Property India: Government of India (2019) [Online]. Available: http://www.ipindia. nic.in/gi.htm. [Accessed. 14 June. 2019].
- Gupta, O. (2006) “Encyclopaedia of Journalism and Mass Communication”, Isha Books. 295 p. ISBN 978-8182053670.
- K’taka gets highest number of GI tags | Business Standard (2018) [Online]. Available: https://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/k-taka-gets-highest-number-of-gi- tags-108041101071_1.html. [Accessed. 14 June 2019].
- Leroux, N. (2001) "Dominant factors impacting the development of business-to-business (B2B) e-commerce in agriculture”, The International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 4, No 2, pp. 205-218. ISSN 1096-7508. DOI 10.1016/S1096-7508(01)00075-1.
- Sekaran, U. (2003) “Research methods for business: a skill-building approach", 4th edition”, John Wiley & Sons, New York. ISBN 978-0471203667.
- Turban, E., Lee, J. K., King, D., McKay, J. and Marshall, P. (2008) “Electronic Commerce: a managerial perspective 2008”, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, pp. 1-53, ISBN 9780132243315.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) (2004) “Geographical Indications: An Introduction”, WIPO Publication. ISBN 978-92-805-2280-8.
- Yang, K. and Banamah, A. (2014) "Quota sampling as an alternative to probability sampling? An experimental study”, Sociological Research Online, Vol. 19, No. 1. E-ISSN 1360-7804, ISSN 1360-7804, DOI 10.5153/sro.3199.