Application of System Thinking Approach in Identifying the Challenges of Beef Value Chain
No 2/2020, June
Alizadeh, P., Mohammadi, H., Shahnoushi, N., Saghaian, S. and Pooya, A. (2020) “Application of System Thinking Approach in Identifying the Challenges of Beef Value Chain", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 3-16. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2020.120201.
In this study, the system thinking approach was used to explain the challenges of the beef value chain in Mashhad, Iran. Due to the complexity of the system and its dynamic nature, rich picture and CATWOE analysis were used to structure the problem. After structuring the problem, the relationships between the chain actors were drawn in the causal loop diagram. Then, the system archetypes were identified. Results showed that the dynamics of this value chain could be explained by limit to growth, fixes that fail and shifting the burden archetypes. The results indicated that the beef import policy has not been effective to regulate the domestic market. Also, it can be concluded that beef cattle production in Mashhad is largely dependent on sustainable supply of livestock feed. So, enhancing cattle production requires policy making to increase availability of livestock feed. Therefore, it is recommended to plan for increasing its production through changing irrigation system and using early maturing and drought-tolerant varieties of corn.
Value chain, beef, rich picture, causal loop diagram, system archetype.
- Abdulla, I., Arshad, F. M., Bala, B. K., Bach, N. L. and Mohammadi, S. (2016) “Management of beef cattle production in Malaysia: A step forward to sustainability”, American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 976-983. ISSN 15469239.
- Alijani, F. and Saboohi, M. (2009) “Measuring market power and cost efficiency of meat and beef in Iran”, Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 77-90. ISSN 1043-3309. (In Persian)
- Armendàriz, V., Armenia, S., Atzori, A. S. and Romano, A. (2015) “Analyzing food supply and distribution systems using complex systems methodologies”, Proceedings in Food System Dynamics, pp. 36-58. ISSN 2194-511X. DOI 10.18461/pfsd.2015.1504.
- Banson, K., Nguyen, N., Sun, D., Asare, D., Sowah Kodia, S., Afful, I. and Leigh, J. (2018) “Strategic management for systems archetypes in the piggery industry of Ghana: A systems thinking perspective”, Systems, Vol. 6, No. 4, p. 35. ISSN 2079-8954. DOI 10.3390/systems6040035.
- Bergvall-Kåreborn, B., Mirijamdotter, A. and Basden, A. (2004) “Basic principles of SSM modeling: an examination of CATWOE from a soft perspective”, Systemic Practice and Action Research, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 55-73. ISSN 1573-9295. DOI 10.1023/B:SPAA.0000018903.18767.18.
- Checkland, P. and Poulter, J. (2006) “Learning for action: A short definitive account of soft systems methodology and its use, for practitioners, teachers and students”, John Wiley and Sons Ltd. ISBN 0470025549.
- Conrad, S. H. (2004) “The dynamics of agricultural commodities and their responses to disruptions of considerable magnitude”, Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society, Vol. 22, p. 13. Oxford, England, July 25-29, 2004.
- Cox, S. A. (2014) “Managing information in organizations: A practical guide to implementing an information management strategy”, Macmillan International Higher Education. ISBN 9780230298842.
- Ebadi, F. (2015) “Analysis and comparison of Iran's desirable food basket with agricultural production during the sixth development plan and horizon 2025”, Institute of Planning Research, Agricultural Economics and Rural Development. [Online]. Available: http://www.agri-peri.ac.ir/Dorsapax/userfiles/Sub0/pejoheshmaghale/42.pdf. [Accessed: 20 Sept. 2019].
- FAO (2015) “Livestock Commodities”. FAO. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/y4252e/y4252e05b.htm#TopOfPage. [Accessed: 18 Aug. 2019].
- FAO (2016) “FAO Regional Office for Near East and North Africa”, FAO. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/neareast/news/view/en/c/430391/. [Accessed: 18 Aug. 2019].
- Fatemi, S. R. and Mortezaei, A. (2013) “Food supply Chain strategic plan”, Jihad University Press, Shahid Beheshti University. ISBN 978-964-479-042-3. (In Persian).
- Ghasemi, A. (2016) “Look at the market of livestock and poultry inputs”, Deputy of Economic Affairs. [Online]. Available: http://tolidi.mefa.ir/Portal/Home/default.aspx [Accessed: 15 Sept. 2019]. (In Persian).
- Goldstein, M. and Khan, M. S. (1985) “Income and price effects in foreign trade”, Handbook of International Economics, pp. 1041-1105. ISBN 978-0-444-86793-3.
- Groff, J. (2013) “Dynamic systems modeling in educational system design and policy”, Journal of New Approaches in Educational Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 72-81. ISSN 2254-7339. DOI 10.7821/near.2.2.72-81.
- Grohs, J. R., Kirk, G. R., Soledad, M. M. and Knight, D. B. (2018) “Assessing systems thinking: A tool to measure complex reasoning through ill-structured problems”, Thinking Skills and Creativity, Vol. 28, pp. 110-130. ISSN 18711871. DOI 10.1016/j.tsc.2018.03.003.
- Grunert, K. G. (2006) “Future trends and consumer lifestyles with regard to meat consumption”, Meat Science, Vol.74, No. 1, pp. 149-160. ISSN 0309-1740. DOI 10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.016.
- Guimarães, V. P., Tedeschi, L. O. and Rodrigues, M. T. (2009) “Development of a mathematical model to study the impacts of production and management policies on the herd dynamics and profitability of dairy goats”, Agricultural Systems, Vol. 101, No. 3, pp. 186-196. ISSN 0308-521X. DOI 10.1016/j.agsy.2009.05.007.
- Hart, D., and Paucar‐Caceres, A. (2014) “Using critical systems heuristics to guide second‐order critique of systemic practice: exploring the environmental impact of mining operations in Southern Peru, Systems Research and Behavioral Science, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 197-214. ISSN 10991743. DOI 10.1002/sres.2195.
- Hosseini, S. S. and Shahbazi, H. (2010) “A model of Iran’s farm-retail marketing margin for beef”, Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 255-264. ISSN 2345-3737.
- Iran Feed Industry Association (2017) [Online]. Available: http://www.irfia.ir/view.aspx?t=10296. [Accessed: 15 Aug. 2019].
- Iran Customs Administration (2018) [Online]. Available: https://www.irica.gov.ir/index.php?newlang=eng.[Accessed: 15 Aug. 2019].
- Jackson, M. C. (2007) “Systems approaches to management”, Springer Science and Business Media. ISBN 0306465000.
- Li, F. J., Dong, S. C., and Li, F. (2012) “A system dynamics model for analyzing the eco-agriculture system with policy recommendations”, Ecological Modelling, Vol. 227, pp. 34-45. ISSN 0304-3800. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2011.12.005.
- Matulova, K., Bubakova, P., Skubna, O. and Taussigova, T. (2010) “Econometric analysis of milk value chain”, Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 51-62. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.22004/ag.econ.99222.
- Mehregan, M. R., Hosseinzadeh, M. and Kazemi, A. (2012) “An application of soft system methodology”, Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 41, pp. 426-433. ISSN 1877-0428. DOI 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.04.051.
- Ministry of Agriculture Jihad (2007) “Deputy of livestock affairs”. [Online]. Available: https://www.maj.ir/ [Accessed: 20 Aug. 2019].
- Ministry of Agriculture Jihad (2018) “Agricultural statistics: 2002-2018”. [Online]. Available: https://www.maj.ir/Index.aspx?page_=form&lang=1&sub=65&tempname=amar&PageID=11583. [Accessed: 20 Aug. 2019].
- Mwanyumba, P. M., Wahome, R. W., MacOpiyo, L. and Kanyari, P. (2015) “Livestock herd structures and dynamics in Garissa County, Kenya”, Pastoralism, Vol. 5, No. 1, p. 26. ISSN 20417136. DOI 10.1186/s13570-015-0045-6.
- Naik, G. and Suresh, D. N. (2018) “Challenges of creating sustainable agri-retail supply chains”, IIMB management review, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 270-282. ISSN 09703896. DOI 10.1016/j.iimb.2018.04.001.
- Neven, D. (2014) “Developing sustainable food value chains”, Guiding Principles, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISBN 9251084815.
- Parsons, D., Nicholson, C. F., Blake, R. W., Ketterings, Q. M., Ramírez-Aviles, L., Cherney, J. H. and Fox, D. G. (2011) “Application of a simulation model for assessing integration of smallholder shifting cultivation and sheep production in Yucatán, Mexico”, Agricultural Systems, Vol. 104, No. 1, pp. 13-19. ISSN 0308-521X. DOI 10.1016/J.AGSY.2010.08.006.
- Phillips, I. and Kenley, C. R. (2019) “An SSM‐TRIZ methodology for business problem structuring”. In INCOSE International Symposium, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 406-420. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd. ISSN 2334-5837. DOI 10.1002/j.2334-5837.2019.00611.X.
- Piewthongngam, K., Vijitnopparat, P., Pathumnakul, S., Chumpatong, S. and Duangjinda, M. (2014) “System dynamics modeling of an integrated pig production supply chain”, Journal of Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 127, pp. 24-40. ISSN 2234-1862. DOI 10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2014.08.007.
- Posthumus, H., de Steenhuijsen-Piters, B., Dengerink, J. and Vellema, S. (2018) “Archetypes: common systemic behaviors in food systems”, Wageningen Economic Research (Wageningen Economic Research memorandum ) - 13, Wageningen University and Research and KIT Royal Tropical Institute. DOI 10.18174/464055.
- Rahimi B., S., M. Kohansal., and A. Dourandish. (2014) “Prediction of meat demand in Iran for urban areas using Genetic Algorithm”, Journal of Agricultural Economics, No. 8, pp. 49-64. E.ISSN 1477-9552. (In Persian).
- Senge, P. M. (2006) “The fifth discipline: The art and practice of the learning organization”, Broadway Business. ISBN 9780385517256.
- Setianto, N. A., Cameron, D. C. and Gaughan, J. B. (2014) “Structuring the problematic situation of smallholder beef farming in Central Java, Indonesia: Using systems thinking as an entry point to taming complexity", International Journal of Agricultural Management, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 164-174. ISSN 2047-3710.
- Shamsuddoha, M and Nedelea, A. (2013) “A Vensim based analysis for supply chain model”, Ecoforum Journal, Vol. 2, No. 2. ISSN 2344-2174.
- Sterman, J. D. (2000) “Business dynamics: Systems thinking and modeling for a complex world”, Boston: Irwin McGraw-Hill. ISBN 9780072389159.
- Suryani, E., Hendrawan, R. A., Muhandhis, I. and Dewi, L. P. (2016) “Dynamic simulation model of beef supply chain to fulfill national demand, Jurnal Teknologi, Vol. 78, No. 9, pp. 169-177. ISSN 2180-3722. DOI 10.11113/jt.v78.9609.
- Tedeschi, L. O., Nicholson, C. F. and Rich, E. (2011) “Using system dynamics modelling approach to develop management tools for animal production with emphasis on small ruminants”, Small Ruminant Research, Vol. 98, No. 1, pp. 102-110. ISSN 0921-4488. DOI 10.1016/j.smallrumres.2011.03.026.
- Van Mai, T. (2010) “Systems thinking approach as a unique tool for sustainable tourism development: A case study in the Cat Ba biosphere reserve of Vietnam”, Proceedings of the 54th Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Systems Sciences, Waterloo, Canada ,Vol. 54, No. 1.
- World Bank (2010). [Online]. Available: http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTIRAN/Resources/Iran_Web_brief.pdf. [Accessed: 20 Aug. 2019].
- Zarei, M., Fakhrzad, M. B. and Paghaleh, M. J. (2011) “Food supply chain leanness using
- Zarei, M., Fakhrzad, M. B. and Paghaleh, M. J. (2011) “Food supply chain leanness using a developed QFD model”, Journal of Food Engineering, Vol. 102, No. 1, pp. 25-33. ISSN 0260-8774. DOI 10.1016/j.foodeng.2010.07.026.
- Zare Mehrjerdi, Y. (2011) “Quality function deployment and its profitability engagement: A systems thinking perspective”, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, Vol. 28, No. 9, pp. 910-928. ISSN 0265-671X. DOI 10.1108/02656711111172513.