Digital Divide of Rural Territories in Russia
No 3/2019, September
Kupriyanova, M., Dronov, V., and Gordova, T. (2019) “Digital Divide of Rural Territories in Russia", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 85-90. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110308.
Information and communication (ICT) technologies cause profound changes in social and economic phenomena. The initial stage of their diffusion is accompanied by complex and contradictory effects. One of these effects is the growing inequality in access to information and the newest technological achievements. The digital divide leaves vast social groups outside the progressive mainstream. Studies show that agribusiness and rural territories most severely suffer from digital discrimination. It consequently results in declining profitability and competitiveness of the agrarian sector and, furthermore, a growing gap between the quality of urban and rural life. To control the negative process, the primary task is to obtain a clear notion of the current tendencies. The study describes a qualitative method of analysis that can be used to measure the digital divide in rural territories.
Digital divide, access to information, socioeconomic development, rural areas, agriculture's contribution to rural development.
-  Dronov, V., Makhrova, O., Pechnikov, A. (2016) "Information inequality of districts in Ryazan oblast", In: "The second All-Russian scientific and practical conference Incomes. Expenditures and Savings of the Russian Population: Trends and Perspectives", ISESP RAS. Vol. 4. pp. 104-113.
- HSE Data Books (2018) "Information Society Indicators in the Russian Federation", National Research University, Higher School of Economics. [Online]. Available: https://www.hse.ru/en/primarydata/iio/ [Accessed: 3 Mar. 2019].
- Chetty, K., Qigui, L., Gcora, N., Josie, J., Wenwei, L., and Fang, Ch. (2018) "Bridging the digital divide: measuring digital literacy", Economics, Vol. 12, No 23, pp. 1-20. DOI 10.5018/economics-ejournal.ja.2018-23..
- López, C. and Farzan, R. (2017) "Designing for Digital Inclusion: A Post-Hoc Evaluation of a Civic Technology", In: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, International Conference on Social Informatics, Socvial Informatics, pp. 572-588. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-67217-5_34.
- Mossberger, K., Tolbert, C. J. and Stansbury, M. (2003) "Virtual Inequality: Beyond the digital divide", Georgetown University Press, ISBN-13: 978-0878409990, ISBN-10: 0878409998.
- Rotz, S., Gravely, E., Mosby, I., Duncan, E., Finnis, E., Horgan, M., LeBlank, J., Martin, R., Neufeld, H.T., Nixon, A., Pant, L., Shalla, V. and Fraser, E. (2019) "Automated pastures and the digital divide: How agricultural technologies are shaping labour and rural communities, Journal of Rural Studies, Vol. 68, pp. 112-122. ISSN 0743-0167. DOI 10.1016/j.jrurstud.2019.01.023.
- Ryazan Statistics (2018) "Database of the Ryazan regional statistics" (In Russian). [Online]. Available: http://ryazan.gks.ru/ [Accessed: 03 Mar.2019].
- Shepherd, M.. Turner, J. A., Small, B., and Wheeler, D. (2018) "Priorities for science to overcome hurdles thwarting the full promise of the ‘digital agriculture’ revolution", Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. E-ISSN 1097-0010. DOI 10.1002/jsfa.9346.
- Šimek, P., Vaněk, J., Jarolímek, J., Stočes, M. and Vogeltanzová, T. (2011) "New Version of the AGRIS Web Portal – Overcoming the Digital Divide by Providing Rural Areas with Relevant Information", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 3, No 4., pp. 71-78. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Štůsek, J., Kubata, K. and Očenášek, V. (2017) "Strategic Importance of the Quality of Information Technology for Improved Competitiveness of Agricultural Companies and Its Evaluation", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 9. No. 4., pp. 109-122. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2017.090411.
- Vaněk, J., Červenková, E., Jarolímek, J. and Šimek, P. (2010) "State and evaluation of information and communication technologies development in agricultural enterprises in Czech Republic", Plant, Soil and Environment, Vol. 56, No. 3., pp. 143-147. ISSN 1214-1178. DOI 10.17221/212/2009-PSE.
- World Data Atlas (2019) "Database of free data, statistics, visualization, and sharing". [Online]. Available: https://knoema.com [Accessed: 20. Sep.2019].
- Yu, B., Ndumu, A., Mon, L. M. and Fan, Z. (2018) "E-inclusion or digital divide: an integrated model of digital inequality", Journal of Documentation. Vol. 74, No. 3., pp. 552-574. ISSN 0022-0418. DOI 10.1108/JD-10-2017-0148.