Economic Impact of Food Loss and Waste
DOI DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110306
No 3/2019, September
Kotykova, O. and Babych, M. (2019) “Economic Impact of Food Loss and Waste", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 55-71. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110306.
Research background: The unproductive use of natural resources such as land and water, resulting from food loss and waste, constrains the pursuit of such tasks as overcoming hunger and poverty, ensuring adequate nutrition, increasing income and economic growth. Purpose of the article: According to the results of empirical research to identify the level of economic damage and lost revenue as a result of the food loss and waste, as well as to identify potential benefits for the agricultural land use in reducing those losses. Methods: The analysis was conducted in terms of regions and product types. The methodology proposed by FAO is used to calculate the food loss and waste for each type of product in Ukraine. Findings & Value added: Firstly, it has been empirically proven that food loss and waste result in significant economic damage and lost revenue. Secondly, the reduction of food loss and waste has positive environmental and social consequences.
Economic damage, food loss, food waste, cereal crops, potato, vegetables, fruits and fruits, meat, milk, regions, Ukraine.
- Babych, M. and Kovalenko, A. (2018) “Food Security Indicators in Ukraine: Current State and Trends of Development”, Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 8-15. ISSN 2256-0963. DOI 10.30525/2256-0742/2018-4-1-8-15.
- Babych, М. (2018) “Losses of food and food waste on the basis of creating their value”, Poltava, CzFEND, p. 16. UDK 33 (In Ukraine).
- Chegere, M. J. (2018) “Post-harvest losses reduction by small-scale maize farmers: The role of handling practices”, Food Policy, Vol. 77, pp. 103-115. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.05.001.
- FAO (2011) “Global food losses and food waste – Extent, causes and prevention”. FAO. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/docrep/014/mb060e/mb060e00.pdf [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].
- FAO (2013) “Food Wastage Footprint: Impacts on Natural Resources”, FAO. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3347e/i3347e.pdf [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].
- Hanson, C. and Mitchell, P. (2017) “The Business Case for Reducing Food Loss and Waste”, Champions 12.3: AIHW. [Online]. Available: http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap/Report_ The%20Business%20Case%20for%20Reducing%20Food%20Loss%20and%20Waste.pdf [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].
- Lipinski, B., Hanson, C., Lomax, J., Kitinoja, L. and Searchinger, T. (2013) “Reducing Food Loss and Waste. Working Paper, Installment 2 of Creating a Sustainable Food Future”. Washington, DC: World Resources Institute. [Online]. Available: http://www.worldresourcesreport.org [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].
- Mylona, K., Maragkoudakis, P., Miko, L., Bock, A.-K., Wollgast, J., Caldeira, S. and Ulberth, F.(2017) “Viewpoint: Future of food safety and nutrition - Seeking win-wins, coping with trade-offs”, Food Policy, Vol. 74, pp. 143-146. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2017.12.002.
- Richards, T. J. and Hamilton, S. F. (2018) “Food waste in the sharing economy”, Food Policy, Vol. 75, pp. 109-123. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.01.008.
- SAVE FOOD (2015) "Global Initiative on Food Loss and Waste Reduction Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations", SAVE FOOD. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4068e.pdf 25.02.2018 [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].
- Schuster, M. and Torero, M. (2016) “Toward a sustainable food system: Reducing food loss and waste", In "2016 Global Food Policy Report”. Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). [Online]. Available: http://ebrary.ifpri.org/utils/getfile/collection/p15738coll2/id/130211/filename/130422.pdf [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].
- Sheahan, M. and Barrett, C. (2017) “Review: Food loss and waste in Sub-Saharan Africa”, Food Policy, Vol. 70, pp. 1-12. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2017.03.012.
- Tesfaye, W. and Tirivayi, N. (2018) “The impacts of postharvest storage innovations on food security and welfare in Ethiopia”, Food Policy, Vol. 75, pp. 52-67. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.01.004.
- Zezza, A., Carletto, C., Fiedler, J., Gennari, P. and Jolliffe, D. (2017) “Food counts. Measuring food consumption and expenditures in household consumption and expenditure surveys (HCES). Introduction to the special issue”, Food Policy, Vol. 72, pp. 1-6. ISSN 0306-9192. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2017.08.007.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2017) “Balances and consumption of the main food products by the population of Ukraine”, State Statistics Service of Ukraine. [Online]. Available: http://www. ukrstat.gov.ua/ [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2016) “Agriculture, forestry and fishing. State Statistics Service of Ukraine”. [Online]. Available: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/ [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2016) “On Approval of 2010 Constant Prices for Agricultural Products to Calculate the Agricultural Productivity Index”. State Statistics Service of Ukraine.[Online]. Available: https://ukrstat.org/uk/norm_doc/2011/362/362.htm [Accessed: 15 Apr. 2018].