Does Agriculture Matter for Environmental Kuznets Curve in Russia: Evidence from the ARDL Bounds Tests Approach
No 3/2019, September
Burakov, D. (2019) “Does Agriculture Matter for Environmental Kuznets Curve in Russia: Evidence from the ARDL Bounds Tests Approach", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 23-34. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2019.110303..
This study explores the relationship between carbon dioxide emissions and their main determinants, which include real income and energy consumption in Russia, employing data for the period 1990-2016. The hypothesis of agriculture being an important determinant of environmental quality in Russia is also tested. For estimating the short-run and long-run relationships the ARDL bounds test approach is employed in this study. The results are consistent with the Environmental Kuznets Curve (EKC) hypothesis and show that the real income and energy consumption have a statistically significant positive impact on the carbon emission and its square has a significant negative effect on the carbon emissions both in the short-run and long-run. Agricultural sector is found to be a relatively important statistically significant determinant of carbon emission in Russia as well. The pairwise Granger causality test also reveals unidirectional causality running from agriculture to the carbon emissions.
Environmental Kuznets curve, agriculture, economic growth, CO2 emission.
- Akbostanci, E., Asik, S. and Tunc, G. I. (2009) "The relationship between income and environment in Turkey: is there an environmental Kuznet curve?“, Energy Policy, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 861-867. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2008.09.088.
- Acaravci, A. and Ozturk, I. (2010) "On the relationship between energy consumption, CO2 emissions and economic growth in Europe“, Energy, Vol. 35, No. 12, pp. 5412-5420. ISSN 0360-5442. DOI 10.1016/j.energy.2010.07.009.
- Alam, M. J., Begum, I. A., Buysse, J. and Huylenbroeck, G.V. (2012) "Energy consumption, carbon emissions and economic growth nexus in Bangladesh: Cointegration and dynamic causality analysis“, Energy Policy, Vol. 45, pp. 217-225. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2012.02.022.
- Al-Mulali, U. and Özturk, I. (2016) "The investigation of environmental Kuznets curve hypothesis in the advanced economies: The role of energy prices“, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 54, pp. 1622-1631. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI 10.1016/j.rser.2015.10.131.
- Benavides, M., Ovalle, K., Torres, C. and Vinces, T. (2017) “Economic growth, renewable energy and methane emissions: Is there an environmental Kuznets Curve in Austria?“, International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 259-267. ISSN 2146-4553.
- Brown, R. L., Durbin, J. and Evans, J. M. (1975) “Techniques for testing the constancy of regression relations over time”, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B. Methodological, Vol. 37, pp. 149-163. ISSN 1467-9868. DOI 10.1111/j.2517-6161.1975.tb01532.x.
- Cameron, S. (1994) “A review of the econometric evidence on the effects of capital punishment.” Journal of Socio-Economics, Vol. 23, No. 1-2, pp. 197-214. ISSN 1053-5357. DOI 10.1016/1053-5357(94)90027-2.
- Chang, M.-C. (2015) "Room for improvement in low carbon economies of G7 and BRICS countries based on the analysis of energy efficiency and environmental Kuznets curves“, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 99, pp. 140-151. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.03.002.
- Chow, G. C. (1960) "Test of equality between sets of coefficients in two linear regressions“, Econometrica, Vol. 28, No. 3, p. 591-605. ISSN 1468-0262. DOI 10.2307/1910133.
- Dagher, L. and Yacoubian, T. (2012) "The causal relationship between energy consumption and economic growth in Lebanon“, Energy Policy, Vol. 50, pp. 795-801. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2012.08.034.
- Dickey, D. A. and Fuller, W. A. (1979) "Distribution of the estimators for autoregressive time series with a unit root“, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 74, No. 366a, pp. 427-431. ISSN 1537274X. DOI 10.1080/01621459.1979.10482531.
- El-Aasar, K. M. and Hanafy, S. A. (2018) “Investigating the Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis in Egypt: The Role of Renewable Energy and Trade in Mitigating GHGs”, International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 177-184. ISSN 2146-4553
- Elliot, G., Rothenberg, T. and Stock, J. (1996) “Efficient tests for an autoregressive unit root”, Econometrica, Vol. 64, No. 4, pp. 813-836. ISSN 1468-0262. DOI 10.2307/2171846.
- Grossman, G. M. and Krueger, A. B. (1995) “Economic growth and the environment”, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 112, No. 2, pp. 353-378. ISSN 0033-5533. DOI 10.2307/2118443.
- Halicioglu, F. (2009) “An econometric study of CO2 emissions, energy consumption, income and foreign trade in Turkey”, Energy Policy, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 1156-1164. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2008.11.012.
- Halicioglu, F. and Ketenci, N. (2016) “The impact of international trade on environmental quality: The case of transition countries”, Energy, Vol. 109, pp. 1130-1138. ISSN 0360-5442. DOI 10.1016/j.energy.2016.05.013.
- He, J. and Richard, P. (2010) “Environmental Kuznets curve for CO2 in Canada”, Ecological Economics, Vol. 69, No. 5, pp. 1083-1093. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2009.11.030.
- Heil, M. T., Selden, T. M. (1999) “Panel stationarity with structural breaks: carbon emissions and GDP”, Applied Economics Letters, Vol. 6, pp. 223-225. ISSN 1466-4291. DOI: 10.1080/135048599353384
- Ketenci, N. (2018) “The environmental Kuznets curve in the case of Russia”, Russian Journal of Economics, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 249-265. ISSN 2405-4739. DOI 10.3897/j.ruje.4.28482.
- Ivanova, V. I. and Vertkina, D. (2017) “Environmental Kuznets curve: Russian cities’ case”, In Yasin, Y. G. (Ed.), XVII International science conference on economic and social development problems, Moscow: National Research University Higher School of Economics, pp. 156-165.
- Kuznets, S. (1955) “Economic growth and income inequality”, American Economic Review, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 1-28. ISSN 0002-8282.
- Kwiatkowski, D., Phillips, P., Schmidt, P. and Shin, Y. (1992) “Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root”, Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 54, No. 1-3, pp. 159-178. ISSN 0304-4076. DOI 10.1016/0304-4076(92)90104-Y.
- Liu, X., Zhang, S. and Bae, J. (2017) “The impact of renewable energy and agriculture on carbon dioxide emissions: Investigating the environmental Kuznets curve in four selected ASEAN countries”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 164, pp. 1239-1247. ISSN 0959-6526. DOI 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.07.086.
- Masih, A. M. M. and Masih, R. (1997) “On temporal causal relationship between energy consumption, real income and prices: some new evidence from Asian energy dependent NICs based on a multivariate cointegration vector error correction approach”, Journal of Policy Modeling, Vol. 19, pp. 417-440. ISSN 0161-8938. DOI 10.1016/S0161-8938(96)00063-4.
- Mihalischev S. and Raskina, Y. (2015) "Environmental Kuznets Curve: The Case of Russia", EUSP Department of Economics Working Paper Series Ec-03/15, European University at St. Petersburg, Department of Economics.
- Narayan, P. K. and Narayan, S. (2010) “Carbon dioxide emissions and economic growth: Panel data evidence from developing countries”, Energy Policy, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 661-666. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2009.09.005.
- Onafowora, O. A. and Owoye, O. (2014) “Bounds testing approach to analysis of the environment Kuznets curve hypothesis”, Energy Economics, Vol. 44, pp. 47-62. ISSN 0140-9883. DOI 10.1016/j.eneco.2014.03.025.
- Pao, H. T. and Tsai, C. M. (2010) “CO2 emissions, energy consumption and economic growth in BRIC Countries”, Energy Policy, Vol. 38, No. 12, pp. 7850-7860. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2010.08.045.
- Poudel, B. N., Paudel, K. P. and Bhattarai, K. (2009) “Searching for an environmental Kuznets curve in carbon dioxide pollutant in Latin American countries”, Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 13-27. ISSN 1074-0708. DOI 10.1017/S1074070800002522.
- Pesaran, M. H. and Shin, Y. (1999) “An autoregressive distributed lag modeling approach to cointegration analysis”, In Strom S. (ed.) "Econometrics and Economic Theory in the 20th Century", Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 371-413.
- Pesaran, M. H., Shin, Y. and Smith, R. (2001) “Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships”, Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 16, No. pp. 289-326. ISSN 1099-1255. DOI 10.1002/jae.616.
- Phillips, P. C. and Perron, P. (1988) “Testing for a unit root in time series regression”, Biometrika, Vol. 75, No. 2, pp. 335-346. ISSN 0006-3444. DOI 10.1093/biomet/75.2.335.
- Pretty, J. (2008) “Agricultural sustainability: concepts, principles and evidence”, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, Vol. 363, pp. 447-465. ISSN 1471-2970. DOI 10.1098/rstb.2007.2163.
- Rabbi, F., Akbar, D. and Kabir, S. M. Z. (2015) “Environment Kuznets curve for carbon emissions: a cointegration analysis for Bangladesh”, International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 45-53. ISSN 2146-4553.
- Richmond, A. K. and Kaufmann, R. K. (2006) “Is there a turning point in the relationship between income and energy use and/or carbon emissions?”, Ecological Economics, Vol. 56, No. 2., pp. 176-189. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2005.01.011.
- Rudenko, D. (2018) “Environment and economic growth in the Russian Arctic”, International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, Vol. 17, No. 2/3, pp. 163-174. ISSN 1741-5136. DOI 10.1504/IJGENVI.2018.10012372.
- Saboori, B., Sulaiman, J. (2013) “Environmental degradation, economic growth and energy consumption: evidence of the Environmental Kuznets Curve in Malaysia”, Energy Policy, Vol. 60, pp. 892-905. ISSN 0301-4215. DOI 10.1016/j.enpol.2013.05.099.
- Shahbaz, M., Ozturk, I., Afza, T. and Ali, A. (2013) “Revisiting the Environmental Kuznets Curve in a global economy”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 25, pp. 494-502. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI 10.1016/j.rser.2013.05.021.
- Shahbaz, M., Dube, S., Ozturk, I. and Jalil, A. (2015) “Testing the Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis in Portugal”, International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 475-481. ISSN 2146-4553.
- Soytas, U. and Sari, R. (2009) “Energy consumption, economic growth, and carbon emissions: challenges faced by an EU candidate member”, Ecological Economics, Vol. 68, pp. 1667-1675. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2007.06.014.
- Stern, D. I. (2004) “The rise and fall of the environmental Kuznets curve”, World Development, Vol. 32, No. 8, pp. 1419-1439. ISSN 0305-750X. DOI 10.1016/j.worlddev.2004.03.004..
- Suri, V. and Chapman, D. (1998) “Economic growth, trade and energy: Implications for the environmental Kuznets curve”, Ecological Economics, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 195-208. ISSN 0921-8009. DOI 10.1016/S0921-8009(97)00180-8.
- World Bank (2018) "World Development Indicators". [Online]. Available: http://databank. worldbank.org/data/views/re-ports/tableview.aspx?isshared=true [Accessed: 25 Sept. 2018].
- Yang, X., Lou, F., Sun, M., Wang, M. and Wang, Y. (2017) “Study of the relationship between greenhouse gas emissions and the economic growth of Russia based on the environmental Kuznets curve”, Applied Energy, Vol. 193, pp. 162-173. ISSN 0306-2619. DOI 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.02.034.
- Zafeiriou, E., Sofios, S. and Partalidou, X. (2017) “Environmental Kuznets curve for EU agriculture: empirical evidence from new entrant EU countries”, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Vol. 24, No. 18, pp. 15510-15520. ISSN 0944-1344. DOI 10.1007/s11356-017-9090-6.