Effect of Real Exchange Rate Volatility on Agricultural Products Export in Nigeria
No 3/2018, September
Alegwu, F. O., Aye, G. C. and Asogwa, B. C. (2018) “Effect of Real Exchange Rate Volatility on Agricultural Products Export in Nigeria", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 3-15. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2018.100301.
This study examines the effects of real exchange rate volatility on agricultural products export in Nigeria using annual time series data from1970 to 2013. The long run, short run and causal effects of real exchange rate volatility on agricultural products export were evaluated. VECM was used to evaluate the effects of real exchange rate volatility on agricultural products export. The Augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) and Philip Perron (PP) unit root tests confirm that all variables were stationary in their first difference. Further investigation based on the Johansen co-integration tests indicates that one co-integration exists between exchange rate volatility and each of the agricultural products export while controlling for other variables. Exchange rate volatility has negative long run effect on all agricultural exports studied with the effect being strongest for coffee followed by rubber. The results based on Vector Error Correction Model (VECM) show evidence of negative but insignificant short run effects of real exchange rate volatility on agricultural products export. From the Granger causality test, there exists bidirectional causality between cocoa and real exchange rate volatility. The implications of these findings are drawn.
Real exchange rate, volatility, overvaluation, undervaluation, agricultural products, export, effect.
- Abiodun, E. O. and Salau, S. A. (2010) “Agricultural Response to Prices and Exchange Rate In Nigeria: Application of Co-integration and Vector Error Correction Model (VECM)”, Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 73-81. ISSN 0976-6898. DOI 10.1080/09766898.2010.11884656.
- Adubi, A. A. and Okunmadewa, F. (1999) “Price exchange rate volatility and Nigeria’s agricultural trade flows: A dynamic analysis”, African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), Research paper 87, Nairobi March 1999. ISSN 1824-2979.
- Agbeyegbe, T., Stotsky, J. and Woldemariam, A. (2004) “Trade liberalization, Exchange Rate Change and Tax Revenue in sub-Sahara Africa”, Hunter College Department of Economics Working Papers No. 4/173. ISBN/ISSN 9781451858983/1018-5941. DOI 10.1016/j.asieco.2005.09.003.
- Amoro, G. and Shen, Y. (2013) “The Determinants of Agricultural Export: Cocoa and Rubber on Cote d’Ivoire”, International Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 228 – 233. E-ISSN 1916-9728, ISSN 1916-971X. DOI 10.5539/ijef.v5n1p228.
- Awokuse, T. O. and Yuan, Y. (2006) “The impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on U.S. Poultry Exports”, Agribusiness, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 233–245. E-ISSN 1520-6297. DOI 10.1002/agr.20082.
- Cho, G., Sheldon, I. and McCorriston, S. (2002) “Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Agricultural Trade”, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 84, No. 4, pp. 931-942. E-ISSN 1467-8276, ISSN 0002-9092. DOI 10.1111/1467-8276.00044.
- De Vita, G. and Abbott, A. (2004) “The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on UK exports to EU Countries”, Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 51, No.1, pp. 62-81. E-ISSN 1467-9485. DOI 10.1111/j.0036-9292.2004.05101004.x.
- Foragasi, J. (2011) “The Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility upon Foreign Trade of Hungarian Agricultural Products”, Research Institute of Agriculture Economics - Hungarian Academy of Sciences; Studies in Agricultural Economics, No. 113, pp. 85-96. ISBN 14182106.
- Gujarati, D. N. (2008) “Basic Econometrics 4th Edition”, New York: McGraw-Hill, pp. 222. ISBN 0072427922.
- Ivanov, V. and Kilian, L. (2005) "A Practitioner’s Guide to Lag Order Selection for VAR Impulse Response Analysis", Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-34. ISSN 1558-3708. E-ISSN 1558-3708. DOI 10.2202/1558-3708.1219.
- Kandilov, I. T. (2008) “The effects of exchange rate volatility on agricultural trade”, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 90, No. 2, pp. 1028-1043. E-ISSN 1467-8276. DOI 10.1111/j.1467-8276.2008.01167.x.
- Mackinnon, J. G. (1991) “Critical Values for Cointegration Tests”, Chapter 13, In R. F. Engle and C. W. J. Granger (Eds.) "Long-run Economic Relationships: Readings in Cointegration", pp. 267-276. Oxfords: Oxford University Press.
- Mackinnon, J. G., Haug, A. A. and Michelis, L. (1999) “Numerical distribution functions of Likelihood ratio tests for Cointegration”, Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 563-577. E-ISSN 1099-1255. DOI 10.1002/(SICI)1099-1255(199909/10)14:5<563::AID-JAE530>3.0.CO;2-R.
- Mesike, C. S., Okoh, R. N. and Inoni, O. E. (2010) “Supply Response of Rubber Farmers in Nigeria: An Application of Vector Error Correction Model”, Journal of American Science, Vol. 6, No. 9, pp. 52-56. ISSN 1545-1003. DOI 10.3923/aj.2010.146.150.
- Nwachukwu, N. J. (2014) “Dynamics of Agricultural Exports in Sub-Sahara Africa: An Empirical Study of Rubber and Cocoa from Nigeria”, International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 91-104. ISSN 2147-8988.
- Oluremi, O. (1998) “Real Exchange Rate Movements and Export Growth: Nigeria, 1960- 1990”, Paper 82, Nairobi: African Economic Research Consortum. [Online]. Available: http://opendocs. ids.ac.uk/handle/123456789/2224 [Accessed: 20 Feb 2018].
- Onyenweaku, C. E. and Madu, E. N. (1991) “Perennial Crop supply Response: The Case of Nigeria Cocoa”, Paper Presented at the 1st International Conference on Tree Crops, MANR, Imo State.
- Orden, D. (2002) “Exchange Rate Effects on Agricultural Trade”, Journal of Agricultural and AppliedEconomics, Vol. 34, No.2, pp. 303-312. ISSN 1074-0708, E-ISSN 2056-7405. DOI 10.1017/S1074070800009056.
- Sasore, G. M. (2004) “Nigeria’s Export Trade of Agricultural Commodities: Quality Control and Standards”, A Paper presented at Nigeria National Crop Outlook Conference, Durbar Hotel, Kano. 26 – 27th May, 2004.
- Wang, K. and Barrett, C. (2007) “Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on Export Volumes”, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 225-255. ISSN 1068-5502.
- Yusuf, S. A. and Falusi, A. O. (1999) “Incidence analysis of the effects of liberalized trade and exchange rate policies on cocoa in Nigeria: An ECM Approach”, Journal of Rural Economic Development, Vol.13, No. 2, pp. 3-14. [Online]. Available: http;//www.jstor.Org/stable/40987362 [Accessed: 4 March 2018]. ISSN 1813-2235, E-ISSN 1814–960X.