Assessing the Agricultural Competitive Advantage by the RTA index: A Case Study in Vietnam
No 3/2017, September
Hoang, V. V., Tran, K. T. and Tu, B. V. (2017) “Assessing the Agricultural Competitive Advantageby the RTA index: A Case Study in Vietnam ", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 9,No. 3, pp. 15 - 26. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2017.090302.
This study aims to measure static and dynamic competitive advantages of Vietnam’s agricultural sectors by employing the relative trade advantage index (RTA). The dynamics of RTA indicators are tested in three ways: OLS method, Markov matrix, and trend analysis. The results show that Vietnam, generally, obtains the strong competitive advantages in crop sectors and fishery sectors whilst it incurs the weak competitive advantages in livestock sectors and processed food sectors. The regression model suggests that the country has the convergent pattern in agricultural competitive advantages, the Markov matrix proves the relative stabilities of the RTA values, and the trend analysis indicates that Vietnam obtains the RTA gaining trends in 12 agricultural sectors while it has the RTA losing trends in 28 agricultural sectors.
Vietnam, agriculture trade, competitive advantage, RTA, dynamics.
- Asciuto, A., Carapezza, R., Galati, A. and Schimmenti, E. (2008) "The competitiveness of the Italian flower and ornamental plant sector", New Medit, Vol. 7, No.1, p. 26. ISSN 1594-5685/1120-6403.
- Balassa, B. (1965) "Trade liberalisation and “revealed” comparative advantage", The Manchester School, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 99-123. DOI 10.1111/j.1467-9957.1965.tb00050.x.
- Banterle, A. and Carraresi, L. (2007) "Competitive performance analysis and European Union trade: The case of the prepared swine meat sector", Acta Agriculturae Scand Sec. C, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 159-172. ISSN 2164-828X/2164-8298. DOI 10.1080/16507540701597048.
- Bojnec, S. and Ferto, I. (2008) "European enlargement and agro-food trade", Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 563-579. ISSN 1744-7976. DOI 10.1111/j.1744-7976.2008.00148.x.
- Bojnec, S. and Ferto, I. (2009) "Agro-food trade competitiveness of Central European and Balkan countries", Food Policy, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 417-425. DOI 10.1016/j.foodpol.2009.01.003.
- Bojnec, S. and Ferto, I. (2015) "Agri-food export competitiveness in European Union countries", Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 476-492. ISSN 1468-5965. DOI 10.1111/jcms.12215.
- Camanzi, L., Mulazzani, L. and Malorgio, G. (2012) "Competitiveness of Italian small pelagics in international trade", New Medit, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 41-52. ISSN 1594-5685/1120-6403.
- Cantwell, J. (1989) "Technological innovation and multinational corporations", Cambridge: B. Blackwell
- Crescimanno, M. and Galati, A. (2014) "Competitiveness of Italian wines in the international market", Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 12-22. ISSN 1310-0351.
- Dalum, B., Laursen, K. and Villumsen, G. (1998) "Structural change in OECD export specialisation patterns: de-specialisation and stickiness", International Review of Applied Economics, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 423-443. ISSN 0269-2171/1465-3486. DOI 10.1080/02692179800000017.
- European Union (2007) [Online] Available: http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2007/june/ tradoc_134826.pdf [Accessed: 20 April, 2017].
- Ferto, I. and Hubbard, L. J. (2003) "Revealed comparative advantage and competitiveness in Hungarian agri–food sectors", The World Economy, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 247-259. ISSN 1467-9701. DOI 10.1111/1467-9701.00520.
- Ferto, I. (2007) "The dynamics of trade in Central and Eastern European Countries", Managing Global Transitions, Vol. 5, No. 1, p. 5. ISSN 1854-6935.
- Frohberg, K. and Hartmann, M. (1997) "Comparing Measures of competitiveness", No. 2, Discussion Paper, Institute of Agricultural Development In Central and Eastern Europe.
- Gorton, M., Davidova, S. and Ratinger T. (2000) "The competitiveness of agriculture in Bulgaria and the Czech Republic vis-à-vis the European Union (CEEC and EU Agricultural Competitiveness)", Comparative Economic Studies, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 59-86. ISSN 0888-7233. DOI 10.1057/ces.2000.2.
- Hart, P. E. and Prais, S. J. (1956) "The analysis of business concentration: a statistical approach", Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Vol. 119, No. 2, pp. 150-191. DOI 10.2307/2342882.
- Havrila, I. and Gunawardana, P. (2003) "Analysing comparative advantage and competitiveness: an application to Australia's textile and clothing industries", Australian Economic Papers, Vol. 42., No.1, pp. 103-117. ISSN 1467-8454. DOI 10.1111/1467-8454.00189.
- Hinloopen, J. and Charles, V. M. (2001) "On the empirical distribution of the Balassa index", Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, Vol. 137, No. 1, pp. 1-35. ISSN 1610-2878/1610-2886.
- Liesner, H. H. (1958) "The European common market and British industry", The Economic Journal, Vol. 68, No. 270, pp. 302-316. ISSN 1468-0297. DOI 10.2307/2227597.
- Maksymets, O. and Lönnstedt, L. (2016) "International Competitiveness: A Case Study of American, Swedish, and Ukrainian Forest Industries", The International Trade Journal, Vol. 30, No.2, pp. 159-176. ISSN 0885-3908/1521-0545. DOI 10.1080/08853908.2016.1138910.
- Mosoma, K. (2014) "Agricultural competitiveness and supply chain integration: South Africa, Argentina and Australia", Agrekon, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 132-144. ISSN 0303-1853/2078-0400. DOI 10.1080/03031853.2004.9523641.
- Proudman, J. and Redding, S. (2000) "Evolving patterns of international trade." Review of international economics, Vo. 8, No.3, pp. 373-396. ISSN 1467-9396. DOI 10.1111/1467-9396.00229.
- Ricardo, D. (1817) "On the principles of political economy and taxation", London: John Murray.
- Sharma, A. and Dietrich, M. (2007) "The structure and composition of India’s exports and industrial transformation (1980–2000)", International Economic Journal, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 207-231. ISSN 1016-8737/1743-517X. DOI 10.1080/10168730701345471.
- Shorrocks, A. F. (1978) "The measurement of mobility", Econometrica: Journal of the Econometric Society. Vol. 46, No. 5, pp. 1013-1024. ISSN 00129682. DOI 10.2307/1911433.
- Smith, A. (1776) "An inquiry into the nature and causes of the wealth of nations", London: Methuen & Co., Ltd.
- The World Bank (2017) [Online] Available: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator [Accessed: 15 May, 2017].
- United Nations Comtrade (2017) [Online] Available: http://comtrade.un.org/data/ [Accessed: 10 May, 2017].
- Vietnam General Statistics Office (2017) [Online] Available: http://www.gso.gov.vn [Accessed: 6 April, 2017].
- Vollrath, T. (1991) “A theoretical evaluation of alternative trade intensity measures of revealed comparative advantage”, Review of World Economics, Vol. 127, No. 2, pp. 265-280. ISSN 1610-2878/1610-2886.
- Wörz, J. (2005) “Dynamics of Trade Specialization in Developed and Less Developed Countries”, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 92-111. ISSN 1540-496X/1558-0938. DOI 10.1080/1540496X.2005.11052607.
- Yu, R., Cai, J., Loke, M. K. and Leung, P. S. (2010) "Assessing the comparative advantage of Hawaii’s agricultural exports to the US mainland market", The Annals of Regional Science, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 473-485. ISSN 0570-1864/1432-0592. DOI 10.1007/s00168-009-0312-9.