Farms Productivity Developments Based on Malmquist Production Indices
No 2/2017, June
Kostlivý, V., Fuksová, Z. and Dubec, J. (2017) “Farms Productivity Developments Based on Malmquist Production Indices", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 91 - 100. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2017.090208.
The aim of the article was to evaluate production ef ciency changes of agricultural enterprises specialized in livestock production and identify its determinants. The total factor productivity (TFP) was used to analyse the changes as determined by the DEA Malmquist index. Evaluated sample contained panel data of 440 farms (114 organic and 326 conventional) based on FADN survey in the period 2011 - 2015. The results showed very little difference in technical ef ciency between groups and relatively negligible changes over the time. About 69% of organic farms reached the productivity growth with the change in TFP of 3.17%. A total of 59% of conventional farms were managed with increasing productivity and the TFP change by 1.48%. Differences between groups were given mainly by Utilized agricultural area per farm, level of Total production, Livestock output, sum of Current subsidies per hectare, and by FNVA / AWU.
Crop and animal production, ef ciency, total factor productivity, organic and conventional farming.
- Balcombe, K., Davidova, S. and Latruffe, L. (2005) "Productivity change in Polish agriculture: An application of a bootstrap procedure to Malmquist indices". Presentation at the 99th seminar of the EAAE ́The Future of Rural Europe in the Global Agri-Food System ́, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 24-27, 2005, 13 p.
- Boudný, J., Janotová, B. and Medonos, T. (2011) "Analýza efektivních a méně efektivních podniků". Bulletin of the Institute of Agricultural Economics and Information, Prague, No. 7/2011.
- Bravo-Ureta, B., E., Solís, D., Moreira López, V. H., Maripani, J. F., Thiam, A.and Rivas, T. (2007) "Technical ef ciency in farming: a meta-regression analysis", Journal of Productivity Analysis, Vol. 27, p. 57-72. E-ISSN 1573-0441, ISSN 0895-562X. DOI 10.1007/s11123-006-0025-3.
- Brožová, I. and Vaněk, J. (2013) “Assessment of economic ef ciency of conventional and organic agricultural enterprises in a chosen region”, Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 297-308. E-ISSN 2464-8310, ISSN 1211-8516. DOI 10.11118/actaun201361020297.
- Caves, D. W., Christensen, L. R., and Diewert, W. E. (1982) "The economic theory of index numbers and the measurement of input, output and productivity", Econometrica, Vol. 50, pp. 1393-1414. E-ISSN 1468-0262. DOI 10.2307/1913388.
- Coelli, T. J. (1996) “A Guide to DEAP version 2.1: A Data Envelopment Analysis (Computer) Program", CEPA Working Paper 96/08, Department of Econometrics, University of New England.
- Coelli, T., Prasada, R. D. S. and Battese, G. E. (2005) "An introduction to Ef ciency and Productivity Analysis", 2nd ed.. Springer, pp. 291. ISBN 978-0-79-238060-3.
- Čechura, L., Kroupova, Z. and Rudinskaya, T. (2015) "Factors determining TFP changes in Czech agriculture", Agricultural Economics – Czech, Vol. 61, No. 12, pp. 543-551. E-ISSN 1805-9295, ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/14/2015-AGRICECON.
- Cisilino, F. and Madau, F. A. (2007) "Organic and conventional farming: A comparison analysis through the Italian FADN", I Mediterranean Conference of Agro-Food Social Scientists. 103rd EAAE Seminar ́Adding Value to the Agro-Food Supply Chain in the Future Euromediterranean Space ́. Barcelona, Spain, April 23rd – 25th, 2007, 20 p.
- Davidova, S. and Latruffe, L. (2003) "Technical ef ciency and farm nancial management in countries in transition", Working paper 03-10, INRA, Rennses Cedex, France, 36 p.
- Farrell, M. J. (1957) "The measurement of productive ef ciency", Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (Genereal), Vol. 120, No. 3, pp. 253-281. ISSN 00359238.
- Fare, R., Grosskopf, S., Lindgren, B. and Roos, P. (1994) "Productivity developments in Swedish hospitals: a Malmquist output index approach". In: Charnes A, Cooper WW, Lewin AY, Seiford LM (eds). Data envelopment analysis: theory, methodology and applications. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, pp. 253–272. ISBN 978-94-011-0637-5.
- Heidari, M.,D., Omid, M. and Akram, A. (2011) "Using nonparametric analysis (DEA) for measuring technical ef ciency in poultry farms", Brazilian Journal of Poultry Science, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 271-277. ISSN 1516-635X. DOI 10.1590/S1516-635X2011000400009.
- Latruffe, L., Davidova, S. and Balcombe, K. (2008) "Application of a double bootstrap to investigation of determinants of technical ef ciency of farms in Central Europe", Journal of Productivity Analysis, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 183-191. E-ISSN 1573-0441, ISSN 0895-562X. DOI 10.1007/s11123-007-0074-2.
- Madau, F. A. (2015) "Technical and scale ef ciency in the Italian citrus farming: A comparison between SFA and DEA Approaches", Agricultural Economics Review, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 15-27. ISSN 1109-2580.
- Medonos, T., Boudný, J., Hloušková, Z., Hruška, M., Pechrová, M. and Špička, J. (2015) "Vyhodnocení účinků strukturálních podpor v rámci osy I PRV 2007-2013", Final report on results of investigation of Internal research project IVP No. 1273/2014, ÚZEI Prague, 31 p.
- Nemes, N. (2009) "Comparative analysis of organic and non-organic farming systems: A critical assessment of farm pro tability", Natural Resources Management and Environment Department, Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome, June 2009, 39 p.
- Nieberg H. and Offermann F. (2008) "Financial success of organic farms in Germany. 16th IFOAM Organic World Congress, Modena, Italy, June 16-20, 4 p.
- Špička, J. (2014) "The regional ef ciency of mixed crop and livestock type of farming and its determinants", Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 99-109. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Špička, J. and Machek, O. (2015) "Change in the production ef ciency of European specialized milk farming", Agricultural Economics – Czech, Vol. 61, No. 1, pp. 1-13. E-ISSN 1805-9295, ISSN 0139-570X.