Comparative Study of Short-Term Time Series Models: Use of Mobile Telecommunication Services in CR Regions
No 1/2017, March
Köppelová, J. and Jindrová, A. (2017) “Comparative Study of Short-Term Time Series Models: Use of Mobile Telecommunication Services in CR Regions", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 77 - 89. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2017.090107.
In the area of time series analysis and prediction there are comparatively many methods available, out of which the extrapolation method has been practically applied most often. Currently, combined models have been serving more and more in experimentation. This study is aimed at construction of adequate models of the indicators observed development tendencies, assessment of selected individual models and subsequent aggregation of these into combined models, including a comparative analysis of both types of models. To find suitable candidates for predicting within the time series analysed, SAS system has been used. Outcomes of the empirical study have shown promising results in the use of combined models for time series processing. The techniques presented in the paper are illustrated with examples of short-term time series on monthly and quarterly basis, in the field of mobile telecommunication services, their consumption and use in various regions of the Czech Republic. A description of the current state of use of selected services in separate CR regions, including urban and rural areas, is a natural part of the paper. ICT including mobile phones and use of mobile services, especially in rural areas, is still widely discussed topic.The research was prepared with the support of the Internal Grant Agency of the Faculty of Economics and Management of the Czech University of Life Sciences, within the project „Methodological Approaches to Identify Economically Weak Regions in the Border Areas of the Czech Republic“(No. 20151035).
Time series models, Box-Jenkins Methodology, mobile telecommunications, regions in CR, combined forecasting models, regional policies.
- Adamides, G. and Stylianou, S. (2013) „ICT and Mobile Phone Use for Agricultural Knowledge Sharing by Cypriot Farmers“, Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 5., No. 2, pp. 3-10. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Baro, E. E. and Endouware, B. Ch. (2013) „The Effects of Mobile Phone on the Socio-economic Life of the Rural Dwellers in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria”, Information Technology for Development, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 249–263. DOI 10.1080/02681102.2012.755895.
- Cipra, T. (1986) " Analýza časových řad s aplikacemi v ekonomii". Prague, SNTL/Alfa.
- Dastorani, M., Mirzavand, M., Dastorani, M. T. and Sadatinejad, S. J. (2016) "Comparative study among different time series models applied to monthly rainfall forecasting in semi-arid climate condition”, Natural Hazards, Vol. 81, pp. 1811-1827. ISSN 15730840-0921030X. DOI 10.1007/s11069-016-2163-x.
- Evans, M. K. (2002) "Practical business forecasting", John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9780631220657.
- European Comission (2016) "The EU's main investment policy", [Online]. Available: http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/en/policy/what/investment-policy/ [Accessed: 28 July, 2016].
- Hindls, R., Hronová, S. and Novák, I. (2000) "Metody statistické analýzy pro ekonomy", Prague. ISBN 80-7261-013-9.
- Lim, J., Nama, Ch., Kim S., Rhee, H., Lee, E. and Lee, H. (2012) “Forecasting 3G mobile subscriptionin China: A study based on stochastic frontier analysis and a Bass diffusion model”, Telecommunications Policy, Vol. 36, pp. 858-871. ISSN 0308-5961.
- Martin, V., Hurn, S. and Harris, D. (2013) "Econometric modelling with time series", Cambridge Books. ISBN 978-0-521-19660-4.
- Meade, N. and Islam, T. (2015) “Forecasting in telecommunications and ICT - A review”, International Journal of Forecasting, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 1105–1126. ISSN 0169-2070. DOI 10.1016/j.ijforecast.2014.09.003.
- Mishra, G. C. and Singh, A. (2013) “A Study on Forecasting Prices of Groundnut Oil in Delhi by Arima Methodology and Artificial Neural Networks”, Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 25-34. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Oliveira, J. F. L. and Ludermir, T. B. (2016) “A hybrid evolutionary decomposition system for time series forecasting”, Neurocomputing, Vol. 180, No. 5, pp. 27-34. ISSN 0925-2312. DOI 10.1016/j.neucom.2015.07.113.
- Papagera, A., Ioannou, K., Zaimes, G., Iakovoglou, V. and Simeonidou, M. (2014) “Simulation and Prediction of Water Allocation Using Artificial Neural Networks and a Spatially Distributed Hydrological Model”, Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 101-111. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Ranjit, K. P., Bishal, G. and Sandipan, S. (2015) “Analyzing the Effect of Dual Long Memory Process in Forecasting Agricultural Prices in Different Markets of India”, International Journal of Empirical Finance, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 235-249. ISSN 0927-5398.
- Reigadasa, J. S., Municioa, E., Morgadoa, E., Castroa, E. M., Martineza, A., Solorzanob, L.F. and Prieto-Egidoa, I. (2015) “Sharing low-cost wireless infrastructures with telecommunications operators to bring 3G services to rural communities”, ComputerNetworks, Vol. 93, No. 2, pp. 245–259. ISSN 1389-1286.
- SAS/ETS User`s Guide, Version 6 (1993) SAS Institute Inc., Cary, USA.
- Seger, J. and Hindls, R. (1993) "Statistické metody v ekonomii", Prague: H&H. ISBN 80-85787-26-1.
- Sundquist, M. and Markendahl, J. (2015) “A case study cost modelling of regulatory alternatives to mitigate the mobile network coverage and capacity problems in rural areas“, 26th European Regional ITS Conference, Madrid 2015. [Online]. Available: http://hdl.handle.net/10419/127181. [Accessed: 02 July, 2016].
- Vaněk, J., Jarolímek, J., and Vogeltanzová, T. (2011) „Information and Communication Technologies for Regional Development in the Czech Republic – Broadband Connectivity in Rural Areas“, Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 67-76. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Vaněk, J., Šimek, P., Vogeltanzová, T., Červenková, E. and Jarolímek, J. (2011) „ICT in Agricultural Enterprises in the Czech Republic – Exploration 2010“, Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 68-74. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Zahan, M. and Kenett, R. S. (2013) “Modeling and forecasting energy consumption in the manufacturing industry in South Asia”, International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 87-98. ISSN 21464553.