“Feed Assist”- An Expert System on Balanced Feeding for Dairy Animals
No 3/2016, September
Angadi, U. B., Anandan, S., Gowda, N. K. S., Rajendran, D., Devi, L., Elangovan, A. V. and Jash, S. (2016) "“Feed Assist”- An Expert System on Balanced Feeding for Dairy Animals", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 3-12. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2016.080301.
Inadequate feeding is the major factor for low livestock productivity in India. In dairying, feed cost is a major input and feeding practices has to be improved to ensure profits. Still the small scale farmers are following traditional feeding practices and fail to address the complexities involved in ration formulation. To address the complexities in ration balancing based on the nutrient requirements for different categories of livestock, nutrient composition of wide range of feed resources and the cost - a number of expert systems have been developed. However existing expert systems have not been widely used by majority of small farmers due to lack of awareness, access and basic skills required to operate. To address these limitations, “Feed Assist” a farmer friendly expert system for balanced feeding of dairy animals at least cost has been developed using linear programming. “Feed Assist” does not require much expertise to operate and enables the farmers to formulate least cost rations for different categories of livestock using locally available feed resources.
Feed formulation, Least cost, Optimization, Balance feeding, Expert system, Mobile apps.
- Badve, V. C. (1991) “Feeding Systems and Problems in The Indo-Ganges Plain: Case Study”, Proceedings Feeding dairy cows in the tropics of the FAO Expert Consultation held in Bangkok, Thailand. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0413e/T0413E16.htm#ch16 [Accessed: 23 May 2016]. ISBN 92-5-103029-4.
- BAHS (2013) “Basic Animal Husbandry statistics 2013-14”, Directorate of dairy, animal husbandry and fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India. AHS SERIES-15. [Online] Available: http://dahd.nic.in/sites/default/files/Final%20BAHS%202014%2011.03.2015%20%202.pdf [Accessed:24 January 2016].
- Bassam A (2009) "Least-Cost Broiler Ration Formulation Using Linear Programming Technique", Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances,Vol. 8, No. 7, pp. 1274-1278. ISSN 1680-5593.
- Garg, M. R. and Makkar, H. P. S (2012) “Balanced feeding for improving livestock productivity – Increase in milk production and nutrient use efficiency and decrease in methane emission”, FAO Animal Production and Health Paper No. 173. Rome, Italy. [Online] Available: http://www.fao.org/ docrep/016/i3014e/i3014e00.pdf. [Accessed 04 January 2016]. ISBN 978-92-5-107303-2.
- Goswami, S. N., Chaturvedi, A., Chatterji, S., Patil, N. G., Sen, T. K., Hajare T. N., and Gawande R. S. (2013) “Least cost diet plan of cows for small dairy farmers of Central India”, African Journal of Agricultural Research, Vol. 8, No. 47, pp. 5989-5995. [Online]. Available: http://www.academicjournals.org/journal/AJAR/article-full-text-pdf/ADCEC6B42102. ISSN 1991-637X.
- Chakeredza S., Akinnifesi, F. K. ,Ajayi, O. C. and Gondwe, F. M. T. (2008) "A simple method of formulating least-cost diets for smallholder dairy production in sub-Saharan Africa", African Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 7, No. 16, pp. 2925-2933. ISSN 1684-5315.
- Chakeredza, S., Akinnifegi, F. K., Ajayi, O. C., Sileshi, G., Mngoba, S. and Gondwe, M. T. (2008) “A simple method for formulating least cost diet for small holder dairy production in Sub-Saharan Africa”, African Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 7, No. 16, pp. 2925-2933. [Online] Available: http://www.academicjournals.org/journal/AJB/article-full-text-pdf/58E27208526 [Accessed: January 2, 2016]. ISSN 1684-5315.
- ICAR (2013a) “Nutrient composition of Indian Feeds and Fodders”, Indian council of Agricultural Research, Krishi Bhavan, New Delhi.India. ISBN 978-81-7164-145-1.
- ICAR (2013b) “Nutrient Requirements of Cattle and Buffaloes”, Indian council of Agricultural Research, Krishi Bhavan, New Delhi.India. ISBN 978-81-7164-145-2
- Mudgal,V., Mehta, M. K., Rane, A.S. and Nanavati,S. (2003) “A survey on feeding practices and nutritional status of dairy animals in Madhya Pradesh”, Indian Journal of Animal Nutrition, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 217-220. [Online] Available: http://www.indianjournals.com/ ijor.aspx?target=ijor:ijan&volume=20&issue=2&article=016 [Accessed: January 02, 2016]. ISSN 0970-3209.
- Munford, A. G. (1996) “The use of iterative linear programming in practical applications of animal diet formulation”, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, Vol. 42, No 2, pp. 255-261. ISSN 0378-4754. DOI 10.1016/0378-4754(95)00115-8.
- O’Coner, J., Sniffen, C. J., Fox, D.G. and Miligan, R. A. (1989) “Least cost dairy cattle ration formulation model based on the degradable protein system”, Journal Dairy Science, Vol. 72, No.10, pp. 2733-2745. [On-line] Available: http://www.journalofdairyscience.org/article/S0022- 0302%2889%2979417-0/pdf. [Accessed: January 25, 2016]. ISSN 0022-0302.
- Olorunfemi Temitope, O. S., (2007) "Linear Programming Approach to Least-cost Ration Formulation for Poults", Information Technology Journal, Vol. 6, pp. 294-299. E-ISSN 1812-5646, ISSN 1812-5638. DOI 10.3923/itj.2007.294.299.
- SalooKolayi, D. D., Yansari, A.T. and Nasseri, S. H. (2011) “Application of Fuzzy Optimization in Diet Formulation”, The Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 459-468. [Online] Available http://www.isr-publications.com/jmcs/127/download-application- of-fuzzy-optimization-in-diet-formulation. [Accessed: January 04, 2016]. ISSN 2008-949x.
- Singh, D., Yadav, A.S. and Yadav, R. K. (2002) “Feeding practices of lactating buffaloes in Mohindergarh district of Haryana”, Indian Journal of Animal Nutrition, Vol. 19, pp. 153-155. ISSN 0970-3209.
- Sirisatien, D., Wood, G. R., Dong, M. and Morel, P. C. H. (2009) "Two aspects of optimal diet determination for pig production: efficiency of solution and incorporation of cost variation", Journal of Global Optimization, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 249-261. ISSN 0925-5001. DOI 10.1007/s10898-007-9262-x.
- Tozer, P. R. (2000) "Least-cost ration formulations for Holstein dairy heifers by using linear and stochastic programming", Journal of Dairy Science, Vol. 83, No. 3, pp. 443-51. E-ISSN 1525-3198 , ISSN 0022-0302. DOI 10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74901-0.