Why Do Agricultural Producers Exhibit at Bread Basket?
No 4/2015, December
Havlíková, M. and Kolářová, A. (2015) “Why Do Agricultural Producers Exhibit at Bread Basket?”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 49 - 56, ISSN 1804-1930.
A literature survey proved that trade shows are important marketing tools, enabling sellers to present and test new products, to monitor their competitors, and to establish personal contacts with customers. The paper extends the current research of trade shows by analyzing exhibitors' motives for exhibiting. The research is conducted for a traditional international agricultural fair - Bread Basket. Exhibitors, including animal production exhibitors, crop production exhibitors and agriculture technology exhibitors, were offered a list of potential motives for exhibiting and were asked to indicate their agreement (disagreement) on a 5-point Likert scale. Subsequently, a factor analysis revealed four key factors for exhibiting, including searching for information and company development, product development, focus on company surroundings and new market possibilities. Finally, exhibitors were surveyed again in order to choose one of these factors to be the most important one for exhibiting. Logistic regression revealed how the specific variables (NACE classification, year of establishment and frequency of exhibiting) influence the selected factors.
Milk, market power, oligopoly, SFA, European Union.
- AUMA. Successful Participation in Trade Fairs, 2011. [Online]. Available: http://www.auma.de/_pages/e/12_Download/download/TradeFairPreparation/ Successful-Participation.pdf. [Accessed: 30 December 2014].
- Barbieri, C., Mahoney, E., Butler, L. Understanding the nature and extent of farm and ranch diversification in North America. Rural Sociology. 2008, Vol. 7, No. 2, p. 205-229. ISSN 15490813. DOI https://doi.org/10.1526/003601108784514543.
- Barczyk, C., George, B. G., Lesch, W. C. Trade Show Participation: Inter –Industry and Organizational Motives. Journal of Professional Services Marketing. 1989, Vol. 4, p. 131-147. ISSN 0748-4623. DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/15332969.1988.9984915.
- Bello, D. C. Industrial Buyer Behaviour at Trade Shows - Implications for Selling Effectiveness. Journal of Business Research. 1992, Vol. 25, p. 59- 80. ISSN 0148-2963. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(92)90005-V.
- Bonoma, T. V. Get more out of your trade shows. Harvard Business Review. 1983, Vol. 61, No. 2, p. 75-83. ISSN 0017-8012.
- Cop, R., Kara, R. T. The role of trade fairs in industrial marketing: Defence industry trade fairs. Journal of Management, Marketing and Logistic. 2013, Vol. 1, No. 3, p. 156-172. ISSN 2148-6670.
- Frain, J. Introduction to marketing. 4th ed. London: International Thomson Business, 1999, p. 320, ISBN 18-615-2147-2.
- Godar, S. H., O'Connor, P. J. Same time next year - Buyer trade show motives. Industrial Marketing Management. 2001, Vol. 30, No. 1, p. 77-86. ISSN 0019-8501. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(99)00100-5.
- Hansen, K. Trade Show Performance: A Conceptual Framework and Its Implications for Future Research, 1996. [Online]. Available: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.194.3128&rep=rep1&type=pdf. [Accessed: 4 June 2015].
- Hansen, K. Measuring performance at trade shows: scale development and validation. Journal of Business Research. 2004, Vol. 57, No 1, p. 1-13. ISSN 0148-2963. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00269-2.
- Jeong, L. S., Arcilla, R. Why Philippine Exporters Join the Manila FAME Trade Fairs? Paper presented as the DLSU Research Congress 2014. [Online]. Available: http://www.dlsu.edu.ph/conferences/dlsu_research_congress/2014/_pdf/proceedings/EBM-I-002-FT.pdf [Accessed: 1 December 2015].
- Kellezi J. The Effectiveness of trade Shows in Global Competition. European Academic Research, 2013, Vol. 1, No. 3., p. 265-274. ISSN 2286-4822.
- Kerin, R. A., Cron, W. L. Assessing Trade Show Functions and Performance: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Marketing. 1987, Vol. 51, p. 87-94. ISSN 0022-2429. DOI https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298705100306.
- Kirchgeorg, M., Springer, C., Kastner, E. Objectives for successfully participating in trade shows. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing. 2010, Vol. 25, No. 1, p. 63-72. ISSN 0885-8624. DOI https://doi.org/10.1108/08858621011009164.
- Korneliussen, W. T. T. The dimensionality of trade show performance in an emerging market. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 2011, Vol. 6, No. 1, p. 38-49. ISSN 1746-8809. DOI https://doi.org/10.1108/17468801111104368.
- Lilien, G. L. A Descriptive Model of the Trade Show Budgeting Decision Process. Industrial Marketing Management, 1983, Vol. 12, No. 2, p. 5-29. ISSN 0019-8501. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/0019-8501(83)90032-9.
- Lee, C. H., Kim, S. Y. Differentional effects of determinants of multi-dimensions of trade show performance by three stage of pre-show, at-show and post-show activities. Industrial Marketing Management. Vol. 2, No. 2, p. 133-153. ISSN 0019-8501.
- Přikrylová, J., Jahodová, H. Moderní marketingová komunikace (Modern marketing communication). 1st ed. Prague: Grada. 2010, p. 303. ISBN 978-80-247-3622-8.
- Sanders, D. Trade Show, Fair or Exhibition? 2013 [Online]. Available: http://www.trade-show-pr.com/2013/02/22/trade-show-fair-or-exhibition-part-1/ [Accessed: 4 February 2015].
- Situma, S. P. The effectiveness of trade Shows and Exhibitions as Organizational marketing Tool. International Journal of Business and Social Science. 2012, Vol 3, No. 22, p 219-230. ISSN 2219-6021.
- Small, K., Social dimensions of community festivals: An application of factor analysis in the development of the social impact perception (SIP) scale. Event Management, 2007, Vol. 11, p. 45–55. ISSN 1525-9951. DOI https://doi.org/10.3727/152599508783943219.
- Shoham, A. Selecting and Evaluating Trade Shows. Industrial Marketing Management. 1992, Vol. 21, p. 335-341. ISSN 0019-8501. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/0019-8501(92)90044-T.
- Sharland, A., Balogh, P. The Value of Nonselling Activities at International Trade Shows. Industrial Marketing Management. 1996, Vol. 25, p. 59-66. ISSN 0019-8501. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/0019-8501(95)00065-8.
- Smith, T. M. The Effectiveness of Trade Show Efforts for Exhibitors of Woodworking Machinery. A Thesis in Forest Resources, The Pennsylvania State University, The Graduate School, School of Forest Resources, 1998. [Online]. Available http://isbm.smeal.psu.edu/isbm_smeal_psu_edu/library/working-paper-articles/1998-working-papers/23-1998-the-effectiveness-of-trade-showefforts.pdf. [Accessed: 4 June 2015].
- Tabachnick, B., Fidell, L. Using multivariate statistics. New York: Harper Collins. 1996, p. 1024. ISBN 978-0205849574.
- Vysekalová, J. Veletrhy a výstavy: efektivní prezentace pro úspěšný prodej (Trade fairs and exhibitions: efficient presentation for successful sale), 1st ed., Prague: Grada, 2004, p. 159. ISBN 80-247-0894-9.
- Yuksel, U., Voola, R. Travel trade shows: exploratory study of exhibitors´ perceptions. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing. 2014, Vol. 25, No. 4, p. 293-300. ISSN 0885-8624. DOI https://doi.org/10.1108/08858621011038252.