Market Power in the European Dairy Industry
No 4/2015, December
Čechura, L., Žáková Kroupová and Z., Hockmann, H. (2015) “Market Power in the European Dairy Industry”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 39 - 47, ISSN 1804-1930.
The paper presents an analysis of market power in the output milk-processing market. In particular, the paper identifies market failures in the output milk-processing market in 24 EU member states. The analysis is based on a mark-up model and the application of stochastic frontier methodology. The results show that market failures are pronounced on the EU output milk-processing market. However, the abuse of oligopoly market power is not large on average, despite the fact that we can find significant differences among the countries. The mark-up distribution is skewed toward lower values. That is, the majority of companies are characterized by only a small or almost no degree of market power; however, there are companies (about 10 %) with considerably high oligopoly market power.
Milk, market power, oligopoly, SFA, European Union.
- Acharya, R. N., Kinnucan, H. W., Caudill, S. B. Asymmetric farm-retail price transmission and market power: a new test. Applied Economics. 2011, Vol. 43, No. 30, p. 4759-4768. ISSN 0003-6846. DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2010.498355.
- Alvarez, A., Arias, C., Greene, W. Fixed Management and time invariant technical efficiency in a random coefficient model. Working Paper, Department of Economics, Stern School of Business, New York University, 2003, p. 10.
- Alvarez, A., Arias, C., Greene, W. Accounting for unobservables in production models: management and inefficiency. Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/72, Centro de Estudios Andaluces, 2004, p. 18.
- Bakucs, L. Z., Fertö, I., Hockmann, H., Perekhozhuk, O. Market power on the edge? An analysis of the German and Hungarian hog markets. Agrarwirtschaft. 2009, Vol. 58, Vol. 8, p. 337-345. ISSN 0002-1121.
- Bakucs, L. Z., Fertö, I., Hockmann, H., Perekhozhuk, O. Market power: Modelling issues and identification problems. An investigation of selected Hungarian food chains. Paper presented at 113th EAAE Seminar “A resilient European food industry and food chain in a challenging world”, Chania, Crete, Greece, date as in: September 3 - 6, 2009.
- Cechura, L., Hockmann, H., Kroupová, Z. Productivity and Efficiency of European Food Processing Industry, Compete Working Paper N7. September 2014. Available: <http://www.iamo.de/fileadmin/compete/files/working_paper/COMPETE_Working_Paper_7_Productivity_FP.pdf> [Accessed: 20 January, 2015].
- Hockmann, H., Vönekim É. Collusion in the Hungarian market for raw milk. Outlook on Agriculture. 2009, 38, No. 1, pp. 39-45. ISSN 0030-7270. DOI https://doi.org/10.5367/000000009787762806.
- Jondrow, J., Knox Lovell, C. A., Materov, I. S., Schmidt, P. On the Estimation of Technical Inefficiency in the Stochastic Frontier Production Function Model, Journal of Econometrics. 1982, Vol. 19, p. 233-238. ISSN 0304-4076. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(82)90004-5.
- Kumbhakar, S. C., Baardsen, S., Lien, G. A New Method for Estimating Market Power with an Application to Norwegian Sawmilling. Review of Industrial Organization. 2012, No. 40, p. 109-129. ISSN 0889-938X. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/s11151-012-9339-7.
- Kutlu, L., Sickles, R. C. Estimation of market power in the presence of firm level inefficiencies. Journal of Econometrics. 2012, No. 168, p. 141-155. ISSN 0304-4076. DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2011.11.001.
- Lerner, A. P. The concept of monopoly and the measurement of monopoly power. Review of Economic Studies. 1934, 1, No. 3, pp. 157-175. ISSN 1467-937X. DOI https://doi.org/10.2307/2967480.
- McCorriston, S. Why should imperfect competition matter to agricultural economists?, European Review of Agricultural Economics. 2002, 29, pp. 349-371. ISSN 1464-3618. DOI https://doi.org/10.1093/eurrag/29.3.349.
- Morrison Paul, C. J. Cost Economies and Market Power: The Case of the U.S. Meat Packing Industry. The Review of Economics and Statistics. 2001, Vol. 83, No. 3, p. 531-540. ISSN 0034-6535. DOI https://doi.org/10.1162/00346530152480171.
- Muth, M. K., Wohlgenant, M. K. Measuring the Degree of Oligopsony Power in the Beef Packing Industry in the Absence of Marketing Input Quantity Data, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics. 1999, Vol. 24, p. 299-312. ISSN 1068-5502.
- Perekhozhuk, O., Grings, M. Measuring the degree of market power in the Ukrainian milk processing industry. In Curtiss, J., Balmann, A., Dautzenberg, K., Happe, K.. Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, IAMO, Halle, Germany, 2006. p. 309-318.
- Perekhozhuk, O., Hockmann, H., Bakucs, L. Z., Fertö, I. Identification of market power in the Hungarian dairy industry: A plant-level analysis. Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization. 2013, Vol. 11, No. 1, p. 1-13. ISSN 1542-0485. DOI https://doi.org/10.1515/jafio-2012-0005.
- Scalco, P. R., Braga, M. J. Measuring the Degree of Oligopsony Power in the Brazilian Raw Milk Market. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review. 2014, Vol. 17, No. 2, p. 1-20. ISSN 1096-7508.
- Špička, J. The Competitive Environment in the Dairy Industry and its Impact on the Food Industry. Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics. 2013, Vol. 5, No. 2, p. 89-102. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Tsionas, E. G. Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients. Journal of Applied Econometrics. 2002, Vol.17, No. 2, p. 127-147. ISSN 1099-1255. DOI https://doi.org/10.1002/jae.637.