The Efficiency Improvement of Central European Corporate Milk Processors in 2008 - 2013
No 4/2015, December
Špička, J. (2015) “The Efficiency Improvement of Central European Corporate Milk Processors in 2008 - 2013”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 175 - 188, ISSN 1804-1930.
The aim of the article is to evaluate the technical efficiency improvement of the Czech, Polish and Slovak corporate milk processors in the period 2008 – 2013 to identify the possible source of low competitiveness of the Czech and Slovak milk processors towards Poland. The analysis was based on individual data of 130 milk processors (NACE 10.51). The sample covers medium-sized and large companies only. Deflated data on sales, material and energy costs, staff costs and depreciation were used as output and inputs for efficiency calculation. The DEA method was used for calculation of technical efficiency, Malmquist index estimated the efficiency change in time. Two-sample t-test and the analysis of variance enhanced by Sheffe’s test verified the statistical hypotheses. The results proved that the Czech and Slovak milk processors had lower efficiency improvement than Polish companies. Investment activity did not significantly affect the efficiency improvement. The Czech and Slovak milk processors should effectively use quite big amount of public subsidies from the Rural Development Programme in the period 2014 – 2020 to improve the efficiency since the Polish companies outstripped the Czech and Slovak companies in the period 2007 - 2013.
Competitiveness, DEA, financial ratios, Malmquist index.
- Baráth, L., Ferto, I. Heterogeneous technology, scale of land use and technical efficiency: The case of Hungarian crop farms. Land Use Policy. 2015, Vol. 42, No. 1, p. 141-150. ISSN 0264-8377. DOI 10.1016/j.landusepol.2014.07.015.
- Bureau van Dijk. Amadeus database: Company information and business intelligence, 2015 [Online] Available: http://www.bvdinfo.com/en-gb/home [Accessed 15 Jan 2015].
- Bojnec, S., Ferto, I., Jámbor, A., Tóth, J. Determinants of technical efficiency in agriculture in new EU member states from Central and Eastern Europe. Acta Oeconomica. 2014, Vol. 64, No. 2, p. 197-217. ISSN 0001-6373. DOI 10.1556/AOecon.64.2014.2.4.
- Caves, D. W, Christensen, L. R., Diewert, W. E. The economic theory of index numbers and the measurement of input, output, and productivity. Economica. 1982, Vol. 50, No. 6, p. 1393-1414. ISSN 0013-0427. DOI 10.2307/1913388.
- Czech Statistical Office. External Trade Database: Czech Republic. 2015 [Online] Available: https://www.czso.cz/csu/czso/home [Accessed 10 Feb 2015].
- Čechura L., Hockmann H. Sources of economical growth in the Czech food processing. Prague Economic Papers. 2010, Vol. 19, No. 2, p. 169–182. ISSN 1210-0455. DOI 10.18267/j.pep.370.
- Čechura, L., Malá Z. Technology and efficiency comparison of Czech and Slovak processing companies. Procedia Economics and Finance. 2014, Vol. 12, p. 93-102. ISSN 2212-5671. DOI 10.1016/S2212-5671(14)00324-4.
- Čechura, L. Technical efficiency and total factor productivity in Czech agriculture. Agricultural Economics – Zemědělská ekonomika. 2012, Vol. 58, No. 4, p. 147-156. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/56/2011-AGRICECON.
- Daňková, A., Bosáková, Z. The competitiveness of the chosen processing branches Slovak food industry. Ekonomický časopis, 2005, Vol. 53, No. 4, p. 415-426. ISSN 0013-3035.
- Eurostat. Short-term business statistics. 2015 [Online] Available: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/short-term-business-statistics [Accessed 25 Feb 2015].
- Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., Lindgren, B., Roos, P. Productivity changes in Swedish pharamacies 1980–1989: A non-parametric Malmquist approach. Journal of Productivity Analysis. 1992, Vol. 3, No. 1-2, p. 85-101. ISSN 0895-562X. DOI 10.1007/BF00158770.
- Ferrier, G. D., Porter, P. K. The productive efficiency of United-states milk processing cooperatives. Journal of Agricultural Economics. 1991, Vol. 42, No. 2, p. 161-173. ISSN 0021-857X. DOI 10.1111/j.1477-9552.1991.tb00344.x.
- Forsund, F. R., Hjalmarsson, L. Generalized Farrell measures of efficiency - application to milk processing in Swedish dairy plants. Economic Journal, 1979, Vol. 89, No. 354, p. 294-315. ISSN 0013-0133. DOI 10.2307/2231603.
- Machek, O. The relationship between financial performance and total factor productivity: evidence from the Czech agricultural sector. International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanity Studies, 2014, Vol. 6, No. 2, p. 57-57. ISSN 2220-8488.
- Maxová, J., Žáková Kroupová, Z. Performance of Czech dairy farms. In Smutka, L., Řezbová, H. (ed.) Agrarian Perspectives XXIV. – Global Agribusiness and the Rural Economy. Proceedings of the 24th International Scientific Conference, September 16 - 18, 2015, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, p. 273-281. ISBN 978-80-213-2581-4, ISSN 2464-4781 (Online). Available: http://ap.pef.czu.cz/static/proceedings/2015/ [Accessed: 05 Oct. 2015].
- Nastasenko, A. G. Methodic approach to estimation of investment activity efficiency of milk-processing enterprises. Actual Problems of Economics. 2010, Vol. 106, No. 1, p. 120-126. ISSN 1993-6788.
- Nečadová, M. Selected approaches to measurement of national competitiveness and the results of Visegrad Group in years 2007–2014. Acta Oeconomica Pragensia. 2015, Vol. 23, No. 2, p. 22-39. ISSN 0572-3043. DOI 10.18267/j.aop.468.
- Nowak, A., Kijek, T., Domańska, K. Technical efficiency and its determinants in the European Union agriculture. Agricultural Economics – Zemědělská ekonomika. 2015, Vol. 6, No. 6, p. 275-283. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/200/2014-AGRICECON.
- Rosner, B. Fundamentals of biostatistics. 7th edition. Brooks/Cole. New York, 2011.
- Špička, J., Machek, O. Change in the production efficiency of European specialized milk farming. Agricultural Economics – Zemědělská ekonomika. 2015, Vol. 61, No. 1, p. 1-13. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI 10.17221/112/2014-AGRICECON.