Value Proposition Canvas: Identification of Pains, Gains and Customer Jobs at Farmers' Markets
No 4/2015, December
Pokorná, J., Pilař, L., T. Balcarová, T. and Sergeeva, I. (2015) “Value Proposition Canvas: Identification of Pains, Gains and Customer Jobs at Farmers‘ Markets”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 123 - 130, ISSN 1804-1930.
The goal of the research is to identify the factors of business model that form Value Proposition of farmers' market customers in the areas of (1) Products/Services, (2) Gain Creators and (3) Pain Relievers. The examined factor areas are based on the creation of a Value Proposition Canvas. Primary data were acquired through the method of questionnaire survey with 217 customers shopping at the farmer's market. The questionnaire was distributed in person. The most important Customer Jobs are identified as stocking up on fresh and healthy food and feeling good about the purchases; the most important Gain Creators are fresh and healthy food and the most important Pains are higher prices and inconvenient opening hours. Its results are five general recommendations for market sellers and organizers. It was also found that farmers' market customers made personal benefits a greater priority, much more than factors with a wider social scope.
Business model, value proposition canvas, customer's value, farmers' markets, fresh food, agribusiness.
- Bond, J. K., Thilmany, D., Bond, C. A. Direct Market Purchases of Fresh Produce: Understanding Consumer Purchasing Decisions. Choices. 2006, Vol. 21, No.4, p. 229 - 236. ISSN 0886-5558.
- Brown, E., Dury, S., Holdsworth, M. Motivations of consumers that use local, organic fruit and vegetable box schemes in Central England and Southern France. Appetite. 2009, Vol 53, No. 2, p. 183–188. DOI:10.1016/j.appet.2009.06.006. ISSN 0195-6663. DOI doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2009.06.006.
- Cassia, F., Ugolini, M., Bonfanti, A., Cappellar, C. The Perceptions of Italian Farmers' Market Shoppers and Strategic Directions for Customer-Company-territory Interaction (CCTI). Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 8th International Strategic Management Conference. 2012, Vol. 58, p. 1008 - 1017. DOI:10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.108. ISSN 1877-0428. DOI doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.108.
- Clark, T., Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y. Business Model You: A One-Page Method For Reinventing Your Career, Wiley, London, 2012. 264 p., ISBN: 978-1118156315.
- Conner, D., Colasanti, K., Brent Ross, R., Smalley B. S. Locally Grown Foods and Farmers' Markets: Consumer Attitudes and Behaviors. Sustainability. 2010, Vol. 2, p. 742-756. DOI:10.3390/su2030742. ISSN 2071-1050. DOI doi.org/10.3390/su2030742.
- Dowd, K., Burke, K. J. The influence of ethical values and food choice motivations on intentions to purchase sustainably sourced foods. Appetite. 2013, Vol. 69, p. 137–144. DOI:10.1016/j.appet.2013.05.024. ISSN 0195-6663. DOI doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2013.05.024.
- Dubin, M. N., Lyasnikov, N. V., Leont’eva, L. S., Resherov, L. J., Sidorenko, V. N. Business Model Canvas as a Basis for the Competitive Advantage of Enterprise structures in the Industrial Agriculture. Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia. 2015, Vol. 12, No. 1, p. 887 - 894. DOI:10.13005/bbra/1736. ISSN 0973-1245. DOI doi.org/10.13005/bbra/1736.
- Lindič, J., Marques da Silvam C. Value proposition as a catalyst for a customer focused innovation. Management Decision. 2011, Vol. 49, No. 10, p. 1694 - 1708. DOI:dx.doi.org/10.1108/00251741111183834. ISSN 0025-1747. DOI dx.doi.org/10.1108/00251741111183834.
- Lucan, C. S., Maroko, A. R., Sanon, O., Frias, R., Schechter, B. C. Urban farmers' markets: Accessibility, offerings, and produce variety, quality, and price compared to nearby stores. Appetite. 2015, Vol. 90, p. 23-30. DOI:10.1016/j.appet.2015.02.034. ISSN 0195-6663. DOI doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2015.02.034.
- Migliore, G., Schifani, G., Cembalo, L. Opening the black box of food quality in the short supply chain: Effects of conventions of quality on consumer choice. Food Quality and Preference. 2015, Vol. 39, pp. 141-146. DOI:10.1016/j.foodqual.2014.07.006. ISSN 0950-3293. DOI doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2014.07.006.
- Onianwa, O., Wheelock, G., Mojica, M. An Analysis of the Determinants of Farmer-to-Consumer Direct-Market Shoppers. Journal of Food Distribution Research. 2005, Vol. 36, No. 1, p. 130–134.
- Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y., Bernarda, G., Smith, A., Papadakos, T. Value proposition design: how to create products and services customers want. Wiley, London, 2014. 320 p. ISBN 978-1-118-96805-5.
- Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y. Business model generation: a handbook forvisionaries, game changers, and challengers. Wiley, London, 2010. 72 p. ISBN 978-0470876411.
- Renting, H., Marsden, T. K., Banks, J. Understanding alternative food networks: exploring the role of short food supply chains in rural development. Environment and Planning. 2003, Vol. 35, p. 393 – 411. DOI:10.1068/a3510. ISSN 0308-518X. DOI doi.org/10.1068/a3510.
- Smith, B. M., Sharp, J. S. A Current and Retrospective Look at Local Food Consumption and Support among Ohioans. Agricultural and Environmental Issues. 2008, The Ohio State University: Columbus, OH, USA.
- Su, J., Wu, J., Liu, Ch. Research on Coordination of Fresh Produce Supply Chain in Big Market Sales Environment. The Scientific World Journal. 2014, Vol., p. 1 – 12. DOI:doi.org/10.1155/2014/873980. ISSN 2356-6140, E-ISSN 1537-744X. DOI doi.org/10.1155/2014/873980.
- Šrédl, K., Soukup, A. Consumer's behaviour on food markets. Agricultural Economics. 2011, Vol. 57, No. 3, p. 140 – 144. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI https://doi.org/10.17221/7/2010-AGRICECON.
- Turčínková, J., Stávková, J. Changes in consumer behavior on the market with food, Acta Univ. Agric. Silvic. Mendelianae Brun. 2009, Vol. 57, No 3, p. 173 - 178. DOI:10.11118/actaun200957030173. ISSN 1211-8516. DOI doi.org/10.11118/actaun200957030173.
- Vošta, M. The food market in the CR and its regulation within the framework of the EU agricultural policy. Agricultural Economics. 2014, Vol. 60, No. 6, p. 279 – 286. ISSN 0139-570X. DOI https://doi.org/10.17221/103/2013-AGRICECON.