Impact of Irrigation Technologies on Rural Households’ Poverty Status: the Case of Fogera District, North-Western Ethiopia
No 1/2015, March
Solomon, S., Ketema, M. (2015) "Impact of Irrigation Technologies on Rural Households’ Poverty Status: the Case of Fogera District, North-Western Ethiopia“, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 59 – 67. ISSN 1804-1930
This study tries to analyze whether irrigation technologies have reduced the incidence, depth, and severity of poverty in Fogera district of the Amhara National Regional State of Ethiopia. It also assesses the possible impact brought about by irrigation technologies on households’ per capita consumption expenditure. Foster- Greer-Thorbeck (FGT) index and Propensity Score Matching (PSM) were used for analyzing the data collected from 180 farm households through formal survey techniques. The result indicated that annual per capita consumption expenditure of irrigation technology users is better than that of non-users. Among the different irrigation technology user groups, per capita consumption expenditure of diversion irrigation users is higher followed by that of motor pump users and treadle pump users in that order. Results from FGT index showed that users of different irrigation technologies are in a better position in terms of incidence, depth, and severity of poverty as compared to the non-users group. The PSM result also indicated that irrigation has increased per capita consumption expenditure of user households by 21 percent. It is, therefore, necessary to develop small-scale irrigation technologies and to encourage farm households to use the technologies in order to reduce poverty.
Ethiopia, poverty, irrigation technologies, propensity score matching.
- Bacha, D., Regassa, N., Bogale, A., Tesfaye, A.. Impact of Small-Scale Irrigation on Household Poverty: Empirical Evidence from the Ambo District in Ethiopia. Irrigation and Drainage. 2009, No. 60, p. 1–10. ISSN 1531-0361. DOI https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.550.
- Bekele, S. Irrigation Potential in Ethiopia: Constraints and Opportunities for Enhancing the System. International Water Management Institute. 2010, 59 p.
- Bernard, T., Seyoum, A., Gebre-Madhin, E. Impact of Cooperatives on Smallholders’ Commercialization Behavior: Evidence from Ethiopia. Agricultural Economics. 2008, Vol. 39, No. 2, p. 147-161. ISSN 1574-0862. DOI https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-0862.2008.00324.x.
- Becker, O. S., Ichino, A. Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Based on Propensity Scores. The Stata Journal. 2002, Vol. 2, No. 4, p. 358–377. ISSN 1536-8734. DOI https://doi.org/10.1177/1536867X0200200403.
- Caliendo, M., Kopeinig, S. Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching. Journal of Economic Surveys. 2008, Vol. 22, No. 1, p. 31–72. ISSN 1467-6419. DOI https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6419.2007.00527.x.
- CSA (Central Statistical Authority). Population Projections for year 2012. Population Size by Sex, Area and Density by Region, Zone and Wereda,.2013, Addis Ababa.
- Dehejia, R. H., Wahba, S. Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-Experimental Causal Studies. The Review of Economics and Statistics. 2002, Vol. 84, No. 1, p. 151-161. ISSN 1530-9142. DOI https://doi.org/10.1162/003465302317331982.
- Diaz, J. J., Handa, S. An Assessment of Propensity Score Matching as a Non Experimental Impact Estimator: Evidence from Mexico’s PROGRESA Program. The Journal of Human Resources. 2006, Vol. 41, No. 2, p. 319-345. ISSN 0022-166X, e-ISSN: 1548-8004. DOI https://doi.org/10.3368/jhr.XLI.2.319.
- Hagos, F., Holden, S. Rural Household Poverty Dynamics in Northern Ethiopia 1997-2000, Analysis of Determinants of Poverty, Department of Economics and Social Sciences. 2003, Norway, 35 p.
- Hussain, I., Hanjra, M. A. Irrigation and Poverty Alleviation: Review of the Empirical Evidence. Irrigation and Drainage. 2004, No. 53, p. 1-15. ISSN 1531-0361. DOI https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.114.
- International Water Management Institute (IWMI). World Irrigation and World Water Statistics 2002 with a Guide to Data Sources. International Water Management Institute: Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2002.
- Van Den Berg, M., Ruben, R., Small-Scale irrigation and income distribution in Ethiopia, The Journal of Development Studies. 2006, Vol. 42, No. 5, p. 868-880. ISSN 0022-0388. DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/00220380600742142.
- Rosenbaum, P. R., Rubin, D. B. The Central Role of the Propensity Score in Observational Studies for Causal Effects. Biometrika. 1983, Vol. 70, No. 1, p. 41-55. ISSN 1464-3510. DOI https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/70.1.41.
- Tesfay, A, Bogale, A, Bacha, D, Namara, R. Impact of small-scale irrigation on households’ food security: Evidence from Godino and Filtino irrigation schemes in Ada Liven district, Ethiopia. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Systems. 2006, No. 22, p. 145-158. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/s10795-008-9047-5.
- World Bank. World Development Report 2000-1: Attacking Poverty. Washington DC: The World Bank, 2000.
- World Fact Book. Irrigated Area, 2012.