Determinants of Willingness to Adopt M-Commerce among Fisher Women Retailers in Karnataka, India
Raghavendra Prabhu, Harisha G. Joshi
Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, No 4 /2018, December
Prabhu, R. and Joshi, H. G. (2018) “Determinants of Willingness to Adopt M-Commerce among Fisher Women Retailers In Karnataka, India", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 59-64. ISSN 1804-1930.DOI 10.7160/aol.2018.100406.
The study assesses the potential for an intervention of m-commerce in the fisher women retailer community of coastal Karnataka region of India. The study was conducted using primary data with a sample size of 383 fisher women across 26 markets in Udupi, Uttara Kannada and Dakshina Kannada districts of Karnataka, who are engaged in fishing practices. This study analyses m-commerce adoption and digital literacy among fisher woman retailers. Study identifies an insight into the degree of acceptance, zeal to learn and willingness to experiment technology change and shift in the trade practices with a digital platform. The result, using binary logistic regression also identifies variation of significant variable and behaviour of the population across 3 districts. The present study provides the basis for further research to build m-commerce model for the fish retailers in coastal Karnataka.
Common Agricultural Policy, enter barriers, motivation, young farmers.
- Abraham, R. (2006) "Mobile Phones and Economic Development: Evidence from fishing industry in India”, “2006 International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development”, Berkeley, CA, 2006, pp. 48-56. DOI 10.1109/ICTD.2006.301837.
- Aswathy, N., Narayanakumar, R. and Harshan, N. (2014) "Marketing costs, margins and efficiencyof domestic marine fish marketing in Kerala”, Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 61, No. 2,pp. 97-102. ISSN 0970-6011.
- Bhatta, R., Gururaj, S. and Rao, K. (2000) "An economic analysis of fishing operationsin coastal Karnataka”, Journal of Social and Economic Development, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 329-347.ISSN 0972-5792.
- CMFRI (2010) "Marine Fisheries Census 2010 Part II. 7 Karnataka”, Central Marine FisheriesResearch Institute, Ministry of Agriculture, Krishi Bhavan, New Delhi and CMFRI, Kochi. [Online].Available: http://eprints.cmfri.org.in/id/eprint/9006 [Accessed: 10 Jan. 2017].
- Davis, F. D. (1989) "Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use and user acceptance of informationtechnology”, MIS Quarterly, Vol. 13, pp. 319-340. ISSN 1540-1960.
- Gebauer, J. and Shaw, M. J. (2004) "Success factors and impacts of mobile business applications:Results from a mobile e-procurement study”, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol. 8,No. 3, pp. 19-42. ISSN 1557-9301. DOI 10.1080/10864415.2004.11044304.
- Gunakar, S. and Bhatta, R. (2016) "Socioeconomic Status of Fisher-Women in Segmented FishMarkets of Karnataka”, Agricultural Economics Research Review, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 253-266.ISSN 0974-0279. DOI 10.5958/0974-0279.2016.00052.5.
- Gupta, V. (1984) "Marine Fish Marketing in India (Volume I – Summary and Conclusions)”,Prometheus Books. ISBN 10: 0391032763.
- Kramer, W. J., Jenkins, B. and Katz, R. S. (2007) "The role of information and communicationstechnology sector in expanding economy, Corporate Social Economic Initiative report No. 22”,Cambridge, MA, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University. [Online]. Available:https://sites.hks.harvard.edu/m-rcbg/CSRI/publications/report_22_EO%20ICT%20Final.pdf.[Accessed: 5 Feb, 2017].
- Li, Y. and Huang, J. (2009) "Applying Theory of Perceived Risk and Technology AcceptanceModel in the Online Shopping Channel”, World Academy of Science, Engineeringand Technology, Vol. 53, pp. 919-925. [Online]. Available: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.193.6343&rep=rep1&type=pdf. [Accessed: 7 Feb. 2017].
- of the subscribers of Mobile Telephone as on 29.2.2016”, Rajya Sabha Session – 239 UnstarredQuestion No. 691. [Online] Available: https://community.data.gov.in/mobile-telephone-subscribersas-on-29-02-2016. [Accessed: 2 Oct, 2017].
- Rock, M., James, T., Rajah, R., Paulvan, S. and Shunsuke, M. (2009) "A hard slog, not a leapfrog: Globalization and sustainability transitions in developing Asia‟, Technological Forecasting& Social Change, Vol. 76, pp. 241–254. ISSN 0040-1625. DOI 10.1016/j.techfore.2007.11.014.
- Sathiadhas, R., Narayanakumar, R. and Aswathy, N. (2011) "Efficiency of domestic marine fishmarketing in India - a macro analysis”, Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 125-131.ISSN 0970-6011.
- Singh, P. J. and Mittal, A. (2017) "Demonetization: A Step Towards Digitalization of Consumers”,International Journal of Engineering Technology, Management and Applied Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 3,pp. 434-437, ISSN 2349-4476.
- Srivastava, U. K. (1985) "Inland Fish Marketing in India (Volume I – Overview: Summaryand Conclusions)”, Concept Publishing Company, ASIN B0018NAGX4.
- Tax Research Team (2016) "Demonetisation: Impact on the Economy“, No. 182, NationalInstitute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi. 14-Nov-2016 [Online]. Available:http://www.nipfp.org.in/media/medialibrary/2016/11/WP_2016_182.pdf. [Accessed: 3 Oct. 2017].