Czech Agrarian Foreign Trade According to the Degree of Processing
Karina Pohlová, Luboš Smutka, Adriana Laputková, Miroslav Svatoš
Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, No 3 /2018, September
Pohlová, K., Smutka, L., Laputková, A. and Svatoš, M. (2018) “Czech Agrarian Foreign Trade According to the Degree of Processing", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 103-118. ISSN 1804-1930.DOI 10.7160/aol.2018.100309.
Added value of Czech agrarian trade is a frequently discussed topic. The goal of the New Strategy of the Ministry of Agriculture with the outlook until 2030 and of the Export Strategy of the Czech Republic for 2012-2020 is to improve the commodity structure of Czech agrarian exports and to increase the proportion of exported processed products and food with high added value. One of the key aspects to understanding the current state of the development of agrarian trade added value is methodology used for trade performance analysis. In fact, there are several methodologies related to attempts to estimate the real state of added value distribution in relation to foreign trade performance. None of the methods seems flawless, each is suitable for a different purpose in understanding the commodity structure specifics. Czech authorities apply methodology originally proposed by Regmi (2005) which, however, does not truly reflect the real state of the current commodity structure. The Research Institute of Agricultural Economics and Informatics is interested in developing its own method suitable for better understanding of the Czech agrarian foreign trade specifics. The objective of this paper is to specify the basic idea of the proposed methodology, to compare it with the already applied methodology and to present basic differences between the old and the new approaches. Presumably, the new classification can serve as a suitable tool for Czech agrarian trade analysis and provides a more precise overview of the degree of processing of traded commodities than other types of categorisation. Its advantages prevail over the disadvantages, which are less important. The new classification of unprocessed and processed products requires regular inspection and more frequent updates, as the 8-digit codes of the customs nomenclature continually change. At the end of the paper the agricultural trade performance is calculated according to the currently applied methodology and also according to the new proposed methodology. The results between both applied approaches are significant especially in mutual relation between processed and unprocessed items share in total trade. There are significant differences both in relation to EU countries and also non-EU countries.
Agrarian foreign trade, degree of processing, unprocessed commodities, processed products.
- Bureau, J.-Ch., Disdier, A.-C., Emlinger, Ch., Fouré. J., Felbermayr, G., Fontagné, L. and Jean, S. (2014) "Risks and opportunities for the EU agri-food sector in possible EU-US trade agreement", Study IP/B/AGRI/IC/2013_129 for the European Parliament. Brussels. [Online]. Available: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2014/514007/AGRI_IPOL_ STU(2014)514007_EN.pdf. [Accessed: 15 Dec. 2017].
- Burianová, J. (2011a) "Effect of the 2008-2009 economic crisis on the results of agricultural foreign trade of the Czech Republic", Agricultural economics - Zemědělská ekonomika, Vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 226-231. ISSN 0139-570X.
- Burianová, J. (2011b) "Agrarian foreign trade of the Czech Republic in the period of 2004-2008, competitiveness of commodities", Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 37-42. ISSN 1211-8516. DOI 10.11118/actaun201159040037.
- Customs Administration of the Czech Republic (2015) "Změny kombinované nomenklatury" (Changes of the CN since 2007) (In Czech), Work aid. Customs Administration of the Czech Republic. General Directorate of Customs. [Online]. Available: https://www.celnisprava.cz/cz/clo/ sazebni-zarazeni-zbozi/spolecny-celni-sazebnik-es/Spolen%20celn%20sazebnk%20ES%202015/ Korelace2015.pdf. [ Accessed: 17 May 2016].
- Čermák, M., Malec, K. and M. Maitah. (2017) "Price Volatility Modelling-Wheat: GARCH Model Application", Agris on-Line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 15-24. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2017.090402.
- European Commision (2015) "Agri-food trade presentation – details of the 6 classes of products", Directorate General for Agriculture and Rural Development [Online]. Available at: https://ec.europa. eu/agriculture/sites/agriculture/files/trade-analysis/statistics/outside-eu/2015/product-classes- details_en.pdf [Accessed: 15 Nov. 2017].
- European Commision (2015) "Common tariff of the EU. For 2016: Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 1754/2015", Official Journal of the EU L 285. [Online]. Available: https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/d20e7f04-7ed4-11e5-b8b7- 01aa75ed71a1 [Accessed: 17 May 2018].
- European Commision (2015) "Explanatory Notes to the Combined Nomenclature of the European Union (2015/C 076/01)", Official Journal of the EU C 76, Vol. 58. [Online] Available: http://eur- lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:C:2015:076:FULL&from=EN [Accessed: 7 Nov. 2017].
- European Commission (2014) "Agricultural trade statistics 2005 – 2014". [Online]. Available: https://https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/statistics/trade/2014_en [Accessed: 10 May 2018].
- FAO (1994) "Definition and Classification of Commodities", FAO, Rome. [Online]. Available: http://www.fao.org/waicent/faoinfo/economic/faodef/faodefe.htm [Accessed: 15 May 2018].
- Gálik, J. (2013) "Agrarian foreign trade book of the Slovak Republic 2012", RIAFE. Bratislava. ISBN 80-7137-722-8.
- Henderson, D. R., Sheldon, I. M. and Pick, D. H. (1996) "International commerce in processed foods: Patterns and curiosities", Working paper 96-3, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium. [Online]. Available: https://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/51211/2/96-3.pdf [Accessed: 15 Nov. 2017].
- Honig, V., Procházka, P., Linhart, Z. and Smrčka, L. (2018) "Effect of tax policy changes on bioethanol market", Listy cukrovarnické a řepařské, Vol. 134, No. 2, pp. 74-78. ISSN 1210-3306.
- Liapis, P. (2011) "Changing Patterns of Trade in Processed Agricultural Products", OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Working Papers No. 47. OECD Publishing. [Online] Available: https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docserver/5kgc3mq19s6d-en.pdf?expires= 1531302597&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=5BABEEA5AB38B90A54CE9C7375D3D761 [Accessed: 6 Nov. 2017].
- Lindland, J. (1997) "The Impact of the Uruguay Round on Tariff Escalation in Agricultural Products", ESCP, No. 3, FAO. [Online] Available: http://www.fao.org/3/a-w4357e.pdf [Accessed: 6 Nov. 2017].
- Maitah, M., Procházka, P., Čermák, M. and Šrédl, K. (2016a) "Commodity Channel Index: Evaluation of Trading Rule of Agricultural Commodities", International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 176-178. ISSN 2146-4138.
- Maitah, M., Procházka, P., Pachmann, A., Šrédl, K. and Řezbová, H. (2016b) "Economics of Palm Oil Empty Fruit Bunches Bio Briquettes in Indonesia", International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 35-38. ISSN 2146-4553.
- Ministry of Agriculture of the Czech Republic (2004 -2007) "Green report of the Czech Republic", RIAI and Ministry of Agriculture, Prague. [Online]. Available: http://eagri.cz/public/web/mze/ ministerstvo-zemedelstvi/vyrocni-a-hodnotici-zpravy/zpravy-o-stavu-zemedelstvi/ [Accessed: 17 May 2018].
- Nešvera, V. (2006) "Prices in trade of the Czech Republic with member countries of the European Union", Politická ekonomie, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 214-226. ISSN 2336-8225.
- OECD (2007) "The OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2007-2016". [Online]. Available: https:// www.oecd.org/tad/agricultural-trade/38893266.pdf [Accessed: 6 Nov. 2017].
- OECD (2011) "Globalisation, Comparative Advantage and the Changing Dynamics of Trade", OECD Publishing. [Online]. Available: http://www.oecd.org/publications/globalisation-comparative- advantage-and-the-changing-dynamics-of-trade-9789264113084-en.htm [Accessed: 6 Nov. 2017].
- Pierce, J. R. and Schott, P. K. (2009) "A concordance between ten-digit U.S. Harmonized system codes and SIC/NAICS product classes and industries", Working Paper 15548, National Bureau of Economic Research. [Online]. Available: http://www.nber.org/papers/w15548 [Accessed: 6 Nov. 2017].
- Pohlová K. and Mezera J. (2014) "Analysis of Development of Czech Foreign Trade in Foods and Beverages", Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 6, No. 4. p. 121-131. ISSN 1804-1930.
- Pohlová, K., Mezera, J. and Špička, J. (2016) "Czech foreign trade with meat and meat products", Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 63-80. ISSN 0572-3043. DOI 10.18267/j.aop.532.
- Pulkrábek, J., Peterová, J., Řezbová, H. and Urban, J. (2007) "Competitive ability and economy of bioethanol production crops", Listy cukrovarnické a řepařské, Vol. 123, No. 7-8, pp. 216-220. ISSN 1210-3306.
- Pohlová, K. (2017) "Agrarian Foreign Trade Yearbook 2016", Information study No. 114/2017, IAEI. Prague. ISBN 978-80-7271-226-7.
- Ratinger, T. and Matthews, A. (1999) "The competitiveness of the Czech agro-food sector in the context of EU Accession", FAO project TCP/CEH/8821.1999.
- Regmi, A., Gehlhar, M., Wainio, J., Vollrath, T., Johnston, P. and Kathuria, N. (2005) "Market Access for High-Value Foods", Agricultural Electronic Report, the Economic Research Service, USDA/ ERS Report No. 840, 2005.
- Rovný, P., Kováčiková, E. and Peprný, A. (2010) "Price development evaluation of chosen plant commodities in agrarian market in the Slovak Republic", Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, Vol. 58, No. 3, pp. 225-232. ISSN 1211-8516. DOI 10.11118/actaun201058030225.
- Řezbová, H., Maitah, M., and Sergienko, O. I. (2015) "EU Quota Sugar Market Concentration - the Main Drivers of EU Sugar Market", Agris on-Line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 131-142. ISSN1804-1930.
- Šimaková, J. and Stavárek, D. (2015) "The effect of exchange rate on industry-level trade flows in Czechia", E & M Ekonomie a management, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 150-165. ISSN 2336-5604. DOI 10.15240/tul/001/2015-4-011.
- Vokorokosova, R. (2005) "To some methods for measuring competitiveness of Slovak and Czech foreign trade", Ekonomický časopis, Vol. 53, No. 8, pp- 808-823. ISSN 0013-3035.
- World Customs Organization (2017) "Harmonized System database", World Customs Organization. [Online]. Available: http://harmonizedsystem.wcoomdpublications.org/ [Accessed: 6 Nov. 2017].