Measurement and Statistical Analysis of End User Satisfaction with Mobile Network Coverage in Afghanistan
M. A. Habibi, M. Ulman, B. Baha, M. Stočes
Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, No 2 /2017, June
Habibi, M. A., Ulman, M., Baha, B. and Stočes, M. (2017) “Measurement and Statistical Analysis of End User Satisfaction with Mobile Network Coverage inAfghanistan”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 47 - 58. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2017.090204.
Network coverage is one of the fundamental requirements of any business of a service provider. Mobile operators are expected to deploy base stations in an effective way in order to cover most of the residential areas of a particular country. Improved network coverage leads to increase total revenue, provide end users with enhanced Quality of Services (QoS) anytime anywhere, and play vital role in the development of telecom sector. In this paper, we measure and statistically analyze network coverage of mobile operators in Afghanistan. Our study is based on primary data collected on random basis from 1,515 mobile phone users of cellular operators. The relationship between “No Network Coverage” in some residential areas and “Satisfaction of Mobile Phone Users” is also investigated. We furthermore propose realistic, feasible and cost-ef cient solutions to mobile operators and policy makers in order to expand network coverage to non-covered residential areas as well as enhance the performance of networks in existing covered areas of the country.
Mobile network, network coverage, measurement, statistical analysis, end user, quality of service, end user satisfaction, Afghanistan.
- 3GCA (2017) “China Partnered with Afghanistan on Optic Fiber Link”. [Online]. Available: https://www.3gca.org/china-partnered-with-afghanistan-on-optic- ber-link/ [Accessed: 29 Apr. 2017].
- ATRA (2016) “Telecom Statistics”. [Online]. Available: http://atra.gov.af/en/page/telecom- statistics-2013 [Access: 29 Apr. 2017].
- Aydin, S. and Ozer, G. (2005) "National customer satisfaction indices: an implementation in the Turkish mobile telephone market", Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 486 - 504. ISSN 0263-4503. DOI 10.1108/02634500510612654.
- Baharustani, Rahima. (2013) “Study of Afghan Telecom Industry”. [Online]. Available: http://www.aisa.org.af/Content/Media/Documents/Study_of_Afghan_ Telecom7112014174432131553325325.pdf [Accessed: 29 Apr. 2017].
- Cisco (2017) “Cisco Visual Networking Index: Global Mobile Data Traf c Forecast Update 2016-2019”. [Online]. Available: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service- provider/visual-networking-index-vni/white_paper_c11-520862.pdf [Accessed: 8 Apr. 2017].
- Habibi, A. M., Ulman, M., Vaněk, J. and Pavlík, J. (2016) “Measurement and Analysis of Quality of Service of Mobile Networks in Afghanistan – End User Perspective", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics ' and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 73 - 84. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2016.080407.
- Hamdard, J. (2012) “The State of Telecommunications and Internet in Afghanistan Six Years Later (2006-2012)”. [Online]. Available: https://www.internews.org/sites/default/ les/resources/ Internews_TelecomInternet_Afghanistan_2012-04.pdf [Accessed: 29 Apr. 2017].
- HUAWEI (2017) “HUAWEI Rede nes Mobile Access Networks with CloudAir”. [Online]. Available: http://www.huawei.com/en/events/mwc/2017/all-cloud-network/cloudran/huawei- rede nes-mobile-access-networks-with-cloudair [Accessed: 30 Apr. 2017].
- InfoDev (2013) “From Transition to Tranformation: The Role of the ICT Sector in Afghansitan”. [Online]. Available: https://www.infodev.org/infodev- les/ nal_afghanistan_ict_role_web.pdf [Accessed: 29 Apr. 2017].
- Iqbal, Z. (2016) "Factors In uencing the Customer’s Satisfaction and Switching Behavior in Cellular Services of Pakistan", American Research Thoughts, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 3713-3725. ISSN 2392 – 876X.
- ITU (2016) “ICT Facts and Figures 2016”. [Online]. Available: https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/ Statistics/Documents/facts/ICTFactsFigures2016.pdf [Accessed: 30 Apr. 2017].
- Kabultribune (2017) “Afghanistan to launch 4G services in the near future”. [Online]. Available: http://www.kabultribune.com/index.php/2017/02/23/afghanistan-to-launch-4g-services-in-the- near-future-mcit/ [Accessed: 26 Apr. 2017].
- Khan, M. A. (2010) "An Empirical Assessment of Service Quality of Cellular Mobile Telephone Operators in Pakistan", Asian Social Science, Vol. 6, No. 10, pp. 164 - 177. ISSN 1911-2025. DOI 10.5539/ass.v6n10p164.
- Kibilda, J., and DaSilva, L. A (2013) “Ef cient Coverage Through Inter-Operator Infrastructure Sharing in Mobile Networks”, IEEE 2013 Wireless Day, Nov. 2013. [Online]. Available: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/6686480/ [Access: 29 Apr. 2017].
- Kim, M. K., Park, M. C. and Jeong, D. H. (2004) "The Effects of Customer Satisfaction and Switching Barrier on Customer Loyalty in Korean Mobile Telecommunication Services", Telecommunications Policy, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 145 - 159. ISSN 03085961. DOI 10.1016/j.telpol.2003.12.003.
- Meddour, D., Rasheed, T., and Gourhant, Y. (2011) “On the Role of Infrastructure sharing for Mobile Network Operators in Emerging Markets”, The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking, Vol. 55, No. 7, pp. 1576–1591. ISSN 1389-1286. DOI 10.1016/j.comnet.2011.01.023.
- Primo, N. (2003) "Gender Issues in Information Society", UNESCO Publications for the World Summit on the Information Society, Sep. 2003. [Online]. Available: http://portal.unesco.org/ ci/en/ le_download.php/250561f24133814c18284feedc30bb5egender_issues.pdf [Accessed: 13 Sep. 2016].
- Thomas, D. and Barker, T. (2013) “Telecoms Look at Pan-Europe Network”. Financial Times. [Online]. Available: https://www.ft.com/content/cb19bee8-5986-11e2-ae03-00144feab49a [Accessed: 29 Apr. 2017].
- UN-ESCAP (2015) “An In-Depth Study on the Broadband Infrastructure in Afghanistan and Mongolia”. [Online]. Available: http://www.unescap.org/sites/default/ les/Broadband%20 Infrastructure%20in%20Afghanistan%20and%20Mongolia%20v3.pdf [Accessed: 29 Apr. 2017].
- Wang, Y. and Lo, H. (2002) "Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction and Behavior Intentions: Evidence from China’s Telecommunication Industry", info, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp. 50 - 60. ISSN 1463-6697. DOI 10.1108/14636690210453406.
- Woo, K. S. and Fock, H. K. Y. (1999) "Customer Satisfaction in the Hong Kong Mobile Phone Industry", The Service Industries Journal, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 162 - 174. ISSN 1743-9507. DOI 10.1080/02642069900000035.