The Change of Comparative Advantage of Agricultural Activities in East Java Within the Context of Asean Economic IntegrationM. A. Esquivias
Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, no 1/2017, March
Esquivias, M. A. (2017) “The Change of Comparative Advantage of Agricultural Activities in East Java Within the Context of Asean Economic Integration", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 33 - 47. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI 10.7160/aol.2017.090103.
This paper analyses changes on agricultural trade patterns of East Java, Indonesia, versus six main ASEAN exporter countries. Based on the trade flow information, there are some dynamics of comparative advantage and export specialization from 2007 to 2013 in the 545 commodities comprising the agricultural sector. Products are mapped into four-different quadrants according to their level of comparative advantage and export specialization. Advantage-specialization appears to be important features of agro-trade for ASEAN countries because most of the growth in exports is under those competitive commodities. Little diversification towards new products has been found in the recent years. Gains appear to be larger than the losses due to international openness, while opportunities within the region have not been exploited. Agro-trade in the region still focuses towards extra-ASEAN and enjoys high levels of advantage- specialization in some key commodities. A large number of commodities were found to have little competition within ASEAN.
Revealed comparative advantage, manufacturing, trade balance, factor intensities and products mapping, international trade, ASEAN.
- Amoroso, N., Chiquiar, D. and Ramos-Francia, M. (2011) “Technology and Endowments as Determinants of Comparative Advantage: Evidence from Mexico”, The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 164 – 96. ISSN 1062-9408.
- Balassa, B. (1965) “Trade liberalisation and revealed comparative advantage”, The Manchester School, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 99 - 123. ISSN 1467-9957.
- Balassa, B. (1986) “Intra-Industry Specialization: A Cross-Country Analysis”, European Economic Review, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 27 – 42. ISSN 0014-2921.
- Dalum, B., Laursen, K. and Villumsen, G. (1998) ”Structural change in OECD export specialisation patterns: de-specialisation and ‘stickiness’”, International Review of Applied Economics, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 423 - 443. ISSN 0269-2171.
- De Hoyos, R. E. and Iacovone, L. (2013) “Economic Performance under NAFTA: A Firm- Level Analysis of the Trade-Productivity Linkages”, World Development, Vol. 44, pp. 180 - 93. ISSN 0305-750X.
- Esquivias, M. and Heriqbaldi, U. (2013) “An Analysis in Comparative Advantage in Manufacturing Sector as a Determinant of Trade Expansion; the Indonesian and Mexican Case 1989-2011”, Journal Ekonomi Dan Bisnis Airlangga, Vol. XXIII, No. 2. ISNN 2338-2686.
- Fang, Ch. and Beghin, J. (2000) “Food Self-Sufficiency, Comparative Advantage, and Agricultural Trade: A Policy Analysis Matrix for Chinese Agriculture”, Working Paper 99-WP 223, CARD Reports and Working Papers Collections.
- Huang, J. and Chen, Ch.. (1999) “Effects of Trade Liberalization on Agriculture in China: Commodity Aspects”, The CGPRT Centre Working Paper Series, August.
- Korinek, J. and Melatos, M. (2009) “Trade Impacts of Selected Regional Trade Agreements in Agriculture”, OECD Trade Policy Working Papers, No. 87, OECD Publishing. DOI 10.1787/225010121752.
- Lafay, G. (1992) “The measurement of revealed comparative advantages”, London: International Trade Modeling, Chapman & Hill, pp. 209-234. ISBN 10: 0412450003.
- Lee, J. (1995) “Comparative Advantage in Manufacturing as a Determinant of Industrialization: The Korean Case”, World Development, Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 1195-1214. ISSN 0305-750X.
- Okabe, M. and Urata, S. (2014) “The Impact of AFTA on Intra-AFTA Trade”, Journal of Asian Economics, Vol. 35, pp. 12 - 31. DOI 10.1016/j.asieco.2014.09.004.
- Oladipo, O. S., Vásquez G. and Belem, I. (2009) “The Controversy about Foreign Direct Investment as a Source of Growth for the Mexican Economy”, Problemas Del Desarrollo, Vol. 40, No. 158, pp. 91-112. ISSN 0301-7036.
- Qiu, H., Yang, J., Huang, J. and Chen, R. (2007) “Impact of China-ASEAN Free Trade Area on China’s International Agricultural Trade and Its Regional Development.” China & World Economy, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 77–90. DOI 10.1111/j.1749-124X.2007.00083.x.
- Schaak, H. (2015) “The Impact of Free Trade Agreements on International Agricultural Trade: A Gravity Application on the Dairy Product Trade and the ASEAN-China-FTA”, German Association of Agricultural Economists, 2015.
- Widodo, T. (2009) “Comparative Advantage: Theory, Empirical Measures and Case Studies”, Review of Economic and Business Studies, Vol 4, pp. 57-82. ISSN 2068-7249.
- Yang, S. and Martinez-Zarzoso, M. (2014) “A Panel Data Analysis of Trade Creation and Trade Diversion Effects: The Case of ASEAN–China Free Trade Area.” China Economic Review, Vol. 29, pp. 138 - 51. ISSN 1043-951X.
- Yue, Ch. and Hua, P.. (2002) “Does Comparative Advantage Explains Export Patterns in China?”, China Economic Review, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 276 - 96. ISSN 1043-951X.